ADVERTISEMENT

West Rowan vs South Point

The tall blonde kid? At the end of the 1st, WR called two timeouts with the position of getting #80 (shorter stockier kid) back in the game after losing his helmet. Strange situation. White hat would not allow him to return until he had sat out a play - sent him to the sidelines twice - despite two timeouts and a confirmation discussion with the line judge. I thought the timeout(s) allowed him to return. Apparently I don't know the rule, along with the WR coach. Or either white hat was wrong on the TO clearing the helmet coming off....

Were they back to back timeouts. Because the rules state that one down has to be played before a player can return.

There was not a down played. One timeut, player sent back to field, then sent out by white hat. New player sent in who didn't know where to line up. Penalty called. Another timeout, 80 sent back out after discussion with line judge. White hat then sends 80 back to the sidelines again Discussion with head coach and white hat. 80 goes to sideline. Scored anyway.

Apparently, you can take a time out for an injury, and get the player back in, but not a helmet.

What about the new found SP pass defense? Two more interceptions tonight and almost a third. SP and pass defense, two terms that have never gone together. They are really looking like the real deal now. Much much improved over the first few games.
What pass defense of WR had thrown the ball more it is a different ball game. West plays way to conservative #81 #14 #5 we're getting open all night. Congrats but these weapons have been underused all year. The th #3 would have about 4 good carries I'm a row and then all of a sudden he is out and they go, back,to relying on the qb run. Have watched this all year and it has been frustrating. Congrats to the Raiders but you can leave bullets in the chamber have to fire them all.

The tall blonde kid? At the end of the 1st, WR called two timeouts with the position of getting #80 (shorter stockier kid) back in the game after losing his helmet. Strange situation. White hat would not allow him to return until he had sat out a play - sent him to the sidelines twice - despite two timeouts and a confirmation discussion with the line judge. I thought the timeout(s) allowed him to return. Apparently I don't know the rule, along with the WR coach. Or either white hat was wrong on the TO clearing the helmet coming off....
80 for WR is the one I am talking about he is 6ft 225 and they run behind him and #88 the taller blond kid. That is why our coach wanted #80 back in the game. He is a work horse. His dad said that he could not even see but tried to renter several times. He is a junior so he will get another chance.

The band use to come to just about every game. Now they don't come to away games. You host a third round playoff game and they don't show up. Ridiculous !!!!!!!!

It is amazing that WR can send their pep band on the road this distance (congrats to them) but yet our band don't bother to show up (not even a pep band) for a third round playoff game at home! This is a disgrace. All funding to that sorry outfit should be cut off immediately. The West Rowan band should have been invited to play the national anthem and play anything they want at halftime including WR fight songs if they so chose. South Point and their band should have been disgraced right there on their home field. There is just no excuse in that. I also remember a Saturday or Monday night make up game due to rain where the band did not show up. This was also a home game and school was in. This should never be allowed to happen. I propose that they spend next years band budget on a high quality sound system and totally get rid of that sorry excuse of a band. The principal should be reprimanded for not demanding it and the band director should be fired at the minimum. Congratulations West Rowan, at least your band has some school pride and spirit!

Reactions: seadog28
What about the new found SP pass defense? Two more interceptions tonight and almost a third. SP and pass defense, two terms that have never gone together. They are really looking like the real deal now. Much much improved over the first few games.
Yeah man. Well #23 has been good his whole career. Not surprising. We definitely have some weak links though, and WR exposed some of that. I wish #5 could play that one spot where we've been burnt all year. The qb was high with his ball all night or else it might've been worse. #9 made some good plays and tackles better than our LBers do. Have really liked his play all year

It is amazing that WR can send their pep band on the road this distance (congrats to them) but yet our band don't bother to show up (not even a pep band) for a third round playoff game at home! This is a disgrace. All funding to that sorry outfit should be cut off immediately. The West Rowan band should have been invited to play the national anthem and play anything they want at halftime including WR fight songs if they so chose. South Point and their band should have been disgraced right there on their home field. There is just no excuse in that. I also remember a Saturday or Monday night make up game due to rain where the band did not show up. This was also a home game and school was in. This should never be allowed to happen. I propose that they spend next years band budget on a high quality sound system and totally get rid of that sorry excuse of a band. The principal should be reprimanded for not demanding it and the band director should be fired at the minimum. Congratulations West Rowan, at least your band has some school pride and spirit!
Agree with this. You know a lot of us old timers didn't like when the traditional cadence walk in changed along with many other things that were traditional. Principal and other staff should have a set and tell them they can't be at the next game(s) either. All we need is the team, the cheerleaders and the fans and we are straight.

Agree with this. You know a lot of us old timers didn't like when the traditional cadence walk in changed along with many other things that were traditional. Principal and other staff should have a set and tell them they can't be at the next game(s) either. All we need is the team, the cheerleaders and the fans and we are straight.
Hate to punish the kids, but I totally agree.

I don't have an opinion either way on the band. But the strange part was that the band had been taped and the recordings were played. That was weird. Just play music (rock, pop, country, something)

Also, PA announcer was having a rough night on the distance marker in the first half. He was consisitently off two yards or more. On one first down play, West gained maybe half a yard. Announcer says 2nd down and 7 yards to go. Crenshaw was on the box last night and he was pretty quick to line up at the spot. Early on, the down and distance was going up on the scoreboard however he announced. But on the play that gained a half yard, it was correctly posted as 2nd and 9 instead of 7 as announced. He seemed to be better on the distance in the second half.

Also, Mike Hayes was credited with almost every singe tackle it seemed. I'm sure he made several and was in on several, but it seemed like if his number was around the pile, he was announced as the tackler???

Agreed. It was a disgrace and embarrassment that South Point had no band at last night's game. Many schools would have loved the chance to play a 3rd round playoff game but to get to host it with no band? Something should be done? Will say - I heard some fans leaving last night - saying that the band may not be there next week either?????? I hope this can't happen on a West Championship game at South Point?????????????

He was not in on the play when they originally lined up and the time out was called. Therefore, it would be an illegal substitution to put him in after the time out expired and play resumed. I believe that's what the ref was informing the WR coach about to make sure he understood the rule. Just my opinion, I could be wrong on that.............

The band is a vital part of the game in that they help to set the tone and mood. However, they have to be there to do that. I saw on Facebook that the band took the weekend off because they thought they are under appreciated by the fans. Really??? During a playoff game at home? What a bunch of prima donas. The facts are, people pay $7 to see the game, not the band. They are important, just like the dance team and cheerleaders, but they are not the reason people are there. Apparently there are some "band mamas" that are butt hurt because they are not the central focus. I say let them stay home the rest of the year. Hey West Rowan, can we borrow your band next week? We will happily make you honorary Red Raider band members and appreciate what you do. Y'all get it. It is really sad when the support staff of any event (referees, band, cheer leaders, dance team, etc, etc.) think they should be the main focus of an event and try to take over. There should be serious consequences for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Belmontraider
He was not in on the play when they originally lined up and the time out was called. Therefore, it would be an illegal substitution to put him in after the time out expired and play resumed. I believe that's what the ref was informing the WR coach about to make sure he understood the rule. Just my opinion, I could be wrong on that.............

I think that was the whole problem. Nobody knew what was going on, the fans, coaches, players or more importantly, the referees. A common problem this year it seems.

Congrats to the Red Raiders on the win. Good luck the rest of the way! Hope we gave the fans their money's worth...........

Congrats to WR too. Great team and a real bunch of hard hitting gamers. Much respect!! One play from being entirely different end results. Games like that are not good for the heart or blood pressure though! By the way, your pep band sounded great. How did you like the performance and enthusiasm of our band? Ha Ha!

Reactions: sasha_nc
Congrats to WR too. Great team and a real bunch of hard hitting gamers. Much respect!! One play from being entirely different end results. Games like that are not good for the heart or blood pressure though! By the way, your pep band sounded great. How did you like the performance and enthusiasm of our band? Ha Ha!
You call fifteen kids a band? That's not even a good litter in the animal world.

Frifalcon is correct in his assessment of the play when 80 wasn't allowed to enter the game. I heard somebody say the band was out of town at a competition, the band couldn't care less about football. If they were at a competition I have no problem with them missing a game. Although I will say I don't believe our former band director would have scheduled a competition during football season where they had to travel, just my opinion though.

So, why weren't they there? Sounds like an EG band stunt. The only away games I can remember our band attending in the last 10 years is South Point. Sometimes they don't show up at home games if there is a little rain.

Agreed. It was a disgrace and embarrassment that South Point had no band at last night's game. Many schools would have loved the chance to play a 3rd round playoff game but to get to host it with no band? Something should be done? Will say - I heard some fans leaving last night - saying that the band may not be there next week either?????? I hope this can't happen on a West Championship game at South Point?????????????

I don't know why the band wasn't there, but according to the official band performance and rehearsal schedule, they should have been.

The band is a vital part of the game in that they help to set the tone and mood. However, they have to be there to do that. I saw on Facebook that the band took the weekend off because they thought they are under appreciated by the fans. Really??? During a playoff game at home? What a bunch of prima donas. The facts are, people pay $7 to see the game, not the band. They are important, just like the dance team and cheerleaders, but they are not the reason people are there. Apparently there are some "band mamas" that are butt hurt because they are not the central focus. I say let them stay home the rest of the year. Hey West Rowan, can we borrow your band next week? We will happily make you honorary Red Raider band members and appreciate what you do. Y'all get it. It is really sad when the support staff of any event (referees, band, cheer leaders, dance team, etc, etc.) think they should be the main focus of an event and try to take over. There should be serious consequences for that.
I don't think it matters that the band is there given their contributions the last few years. The dance team needs to be abolished due to the crowds absolute indifference to them. Between what I've heard about the band and dance moms idiot tantrums the last few years I wish they'd both be eliminated from the games so they learn just how unimportant they are on Friday nights.

Reactions: redraider73
When I was in high school, parents of players, band members and cheerleaders sat in the stands and watched the game. Sure, the cheer parents watched their daughters if they were doing a routine, and the band parents stayed during halftime to watch the performance, but that was the extent of it.

Now, it is common to see band parents sitting adjacent to the band, and dance and cheer parents sitting down low right in front of the squads. I've also seen t-shirts and hoodies which designate their status as a band or cheer parent, etc...

I was sitting near the West pep band last night and it was clear that several of the band parents were in the section right beside of them. Carrying on conversations during the breaks in action was common. One dad consistently reminded the drum line to do their 1st down cadence a couple of times when they weren't paying attention and West converted.

I don't know why the band wasn't there, but according to the official band performance and rehearsal schedule, they should have been.

The word floating around our seats was that so many were out of town due to the holiday they were given the week off. It's total BS..... but what can you say. They only play about 4 minutes a game anyway. I was more embarrassed as a fan that the band wasn't there for a 3rd round home game rather than missing their contribution. A weapon they could be if used correctly; but we are light years from that aspect.

What kind of principal and band director would allow this to happen? The "official" word I heard is that they took the weekend off. What if the offense or defense decides to take the weekend off? They complain that they are not given enough love so they just decided not to show? Just how does that earn respect?

Screw the band, let's talk football. Kudos to WR. That is a great football team with great heart. Those kids played their butts off and would not quit regardless of the score. This is what makes HS football so much fun. No money involved. Just kids who want to make a difference and do something for their school and community. That Otto kid should be a Raider. Not the most athletic kid in the world but his will to win is off the charts. Enjoyed last nights game as much as any that I have seen in a while.

Screw the band, let's talk football. Kudos to WR. That is a great football team with great heart. Those kids played their butts off and would not quit regardless of the score. This is what makes HS football so much fun. No money involved. Just kids who want to make a difference and do something for their school and community. That Otto kid should be a Raider. Not the most athletic kid in the world but his will to win is off the charts. Enjoyed last nights game as much as any that I have seen in a while.
Otto is very athletic. He has full ride for college baseball

Otto is very athletic. He has full ride for college baseball
Agree 100%. We have a large segment of fans that seem to deem athleticism based off the color arms dangling from their shoulder pads. That Otto was a beast. We have made a tradition of winning with talented kids that our own coaches and a large part of our fans consider unathletic every year. Unfortunately we are about to find out what unathletic is during the next couple years. This class has athletes....but the next few classes those who call us slow and unathletic will finally be right.

Reactions: SPRedRaider
Intent was certainly not to put Otto down and certainly has nothing to do with the color of arms dangling from a sleeve. Each person has their own definition of athleticism, but some of the greatest baseball. football, and basketball players do it because of their will and skills rather than pure athleticism. Otto was not the fastest or shiftiest, but played with composure, skill, and determination.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT