ADVERTISEMENT

West Rowan vs South Point

Just Noticed that in 2002 we lost in the mud bowl - in which the Carver won the championship - the next year - SP won the championship. Same thing happened in 2008 - in which the next year we won another state championship. 2015????

Now, Belmontraider, you can't suggest something like that. Just the thought that it could happen is enough to give the Crest posters a stroke. It messes with their revisionist history of SP going out in the 1st round, much less the impossibility of our advancing to the title game with our antiquated offense.

Sasha, haven't you learned by now you can't wrestle with pigs? You will just get all muddy and they like it. And there are plenty of porkers in Cleveland County.

WOW! Would enjoy to see them. This year seems no different. Sounds like they are back on schedule
Come on to Belmont Friday night and watch them. Should be a hard fought match between the Falcons and the Red Raiders. SP might have a slight edge, but as far as I am concerned this game is even.

Sasha, you have a full time job keeping those poor Charger posters in line. It is like being a Pre-school teacher for a bunch of 30+ year olds, But thank you for taking on the challenge.

Reactions: sasha_nc
Went out to watch a little Raider practice after big Thanksgiving get together. The kids are focused and the coaches seem to have a good game plan. Now is time to execute. Saw 60 out there and that was a good thing. Go Raiders!

This game comes down to the SP pass D. The Falcons like to throw the ball to the middle of the field down the seam and to the slant pattern. If SP can't stop it they will score fast and if they can they'll wear that defense out and pound them all night. I like our chances if the defense defends as they have lately and creates a few takeaways off those passes. With that said they will have to make the plays as the West QB seems to be accurate.

Reactions: coondog8585
SP pass defense is far better than they have been in the past. SP has picked off 19 passes in 13 games and have at least one pick in 10 of the 13 games. Starr, Mead, Muse, Silver, Hamilton, and Alexander all have had picks this year. On the year SP has given up 1906 yards on 297 passes or only about 6.1 yards per pass. Shelby ;and WC accounted for 700 of those yards in back to back games earlier in the season. Like what Joe has been doing with this group.

Went out to watch a little Raider practice after big Thanksgiving get together. The kids are focused and the coaches seem to have a good game plan. Now is time to execute. Saw 60 out there and that was a good thing. Go Raiders!
The Falcons had a 8am light breakfast for the kids then a walk through practice. All players were in attendance. The atmosphere was very focused to say the least. The kids were fired up and ready to play.
West is a very physical smash mouth team. I can honestly say we have not had a complete game as of yet. If we put it all together (which we can) we can beat anyone in the state. We have a very balanced offense. This year we have rushed for 2218 yards and thrown for 1946.
Keys to the game for WR is control the SP running game. I don't think anyone can totally stop it. If we hold them under 175 rushing yards we will win. Our defense has been fantastic, but here recently we have struggled with the running game when facing a similar offense the last three weeks. SP averages about 318 rushing yards a game. If we can not stop them we will have to out score them and our offense is not as consistent as I would like to see. Since SP doesn't throw much we will not be able to rely on our interceptions and "pick 6s".
Keys for South Point is containing WR QB. He has almost 1000 rushing yards as well as 1700+ throwing.

WR QB runs tough and hit 63% of his passes, so he is someone to be reckoned with. Blazin says that they win if they hold SP under 175 yards rushing. I could not agree more. Interesting because SP's season low was exactly 175 against Crest. Next lowest was 242. In my opinion, SP actually needs 275+ to win. They failed to hit that mark only twice this year and that was in the two losses.

SP pass defense is far better than they have been in the past. SP has picked off 19 passes in 13 games and have at least one pick in 10 of the 13 games. Starr, Mead, Muse, Silver, Hamilton, and Alexander all have had picks this year. On the year SP has given up 1906 yards on 297 passes or only about 6.1 yards per pass. Shelby ;and WC accounted for 700 of those yards in back to back games earlier in the season. Like what Joe has been doing with this group.

This has been one of the surprises of the season. It may not mean a lot to other posters whose teams have a decent pass D, but it is a big thing for SP given our history against pass and balanced pass/run teams.

The Falcons had a 8am light breakfast for the kids then a walk through practice. All players were in attendance. The atmosphere was very focused to say the least. The kids were fired up and ready to play.
West is a very physical smash mouth team. I can honestly say we have not had a complete game as of yet. If we put it all together (which we can) we can beat anyone in the state. We have a very balanced offense. This year we have rushed for 2218 yards and thrown for 1946.
Keys to the game for WR is control the SP running game. I don't think anyone can totally stop it. If we hold them under 175 rushing yards we will win. Our defense has been fantastic, but here recently we have struggled with the running game when facing a similar offense the last three weeks. SP averages about 318 rushing yards a game. If we can not stop them we will have to out score them and our offense is not as consistent as I would like to see. Since SP doesn't throw much we will not be able to rely on our interceptions and "pick 6s".
Keys for South Point is containing WR QB. He has almost 1000 rushing yards as well as 1700+ throwing.

Here's to a good game. I hope that neither teams has any serious injury. Should the Raiders win, I hope that we aren't too beat up for the next round. That said, if the Falcons should edge us out, may they still feel the pain next Friday against KM. (Sorry, Falcons, but KM2ASU is one of my buddies and the Mountaineers are kind of like family having been a conference foe at times over the years.)

How is the field looking? A comment made elsewhere suggested it was in the worst shape it has ever been in. Having looked at pics from last week's game, it does look a little worse for wear, but nowhere near the shape that Maiden's or Concord's fields have been reported to be (mud pits).

It's not a secret what S.P. going to do. Run, run, and then run some more. If W.R. can stop or even slow it down they win. Can they?

How is the field looking? A comment made elsewhere suggested it was in the worst shape it has ever been in. Having looked at pics from last week's game, it does look a little worse for wear, but nowhere near the shape that Maiden's or Concord's fields have been reported to be (mud pits).
It looked a little soupy in the middle. But I expect it will be a little dryer with the warmer weather this week.

WR..7
SP...0
Quarles returned kickoff to SP 20. TD on a 7 yd pass from Otto to Weeks - 10:08 left in 1Q.

Last edited:
WR..14
SP......7 HALF

WR Otto - 2 yd run with 0:14 left in half.

On 3rd and goal from the SP 8, SP called for defensive holding. Ball put on SP 2.

Last edited:
Got em right where we want em, sasha! It's already over! They needed to be up 28-7 to have a chance.

Other scores - halftime unless otherwise indicated:

Kings Mountain...14
Hibriten..................7

Crest..................28
Weddington........17

Concord.............19
South Iredell.........7

East Lincoln.......35
East Burke...........7

Lincolnton..............26
Mountain Heritage...8 2nd