ADVERTISEMENT

West Henderson @ Tuscola

THSFball1992

Oct 6, 2023
Big game this Friday, could be a great game if the same Tuscola team that has shown up these past two weeks shows up Friday. Looks like West has been the real deal all season, but let's see if Crompton has any tricks up his sleeve dealing with his previous team. I think Tuscola plays a better game than they did last year, don't know if they have quite the horses to come out with the win but if they play inspired and control the ball it could be interesting.

Yes hoping that somehow, someway the Mounties pull this one out. If they can control the clock and keep West's O off the field, they may just have a chance.

Reactions: THSFAN81
Absolutely gonna be an uphill battle.
But regardless I will pull for my mountaineers. Go Tuscola!!

Reactions: THSFAN81
I think Tuscola is going to have to have an off night from West Henderson for this one to appear close. West will be the fastest overall team that Tuscola has played this year and a lot of Tuscola runs/ plays that went for more against other opponents will close pretty quickly with their group. West will have offensive plays that develop quickly, both run and pass, and will make Tuscola's strong line play less of a factor.

Regardless, it seems like Tuscola is playing their best ball of the year right now and that's ultimately all you can ask from any group win or lose.

Feels like this is a game where Tuscola matches up decently well in. I don’t foresee them stopping West Henderson’s offense though. If Tuscola is going to win, they are going to have to hope for some miscues on offense from the Falcons.

Offensively, the Mountaineers have somewhat found their groove. I think they can put up enough points to be in the game late and have a chance to win. But, ultimately just too much firepower from West Henderson to overcome.

Tuscola has to be kicking themselves for losing to North Henderson, as it likely will cost them 2nd place in the conference and a home playoff game as the other automatic qualifier out of the Mountain 7.

I've seen West and I've seen Tuscola, and I actually disagree I don't think Tuscola matches up decently with West. Biggest difference for Tuscola the past 2 weeks has been Jed's legs and his running ability being able to open up the passing game. West has the fastest team in the Mountain 7, they're gonna fill gaps and close quickly and I forsee plenty of 3rd and longs with Jed not having the ground success he's had. Outside of that, West has the best secondary probably in all of WNC outside of Christ School. If MaxPreps is correct, they've only allowed 729 passing yards on the year, they've had 12 interceptions and 31 sacks in 9 games. Those are sobering numbers.

I would argue that this is the first week the West Henderson secondary has been tested with an above average QB since week 1 vs Newton Conover. We all know the Mountain 7 as a whole is not known for its offensive ingenuity in the passing game, so take those stats with a grain of salt. West Henderson is a great team and should win this game 9 out of 10 times. Should be a good tune up for the Falcons before playoff time.

Reactions: beamer24
I would argue that this is the first week the West Henderson secondary has been tested with an above average QB since week 1 vs Newton Conover. We all know the Mountain 7 as a whole is not known for its offensive ingenuity in the passing game, so take those stats with a grain of salt. West Henderson is a great team and should win this game 9 out of 10 times. Should be a good tune up for the Falcons before playoff time.
And I would argue differently. Polk has an East-West All Star WR that torched Tuscola for 100yds and 2 TDs in week 2. The following week West held him to 38yds and 0 TDs. Against Erwin, West held them to their lowest competition % on the year and only 75 passing yards which is lower than both ACR and TCR held them to. If you want to test Truitt and company, be my guest. Let me know how that works out. Lol. It’ll especially be tough if you can’t run the ball efficiently.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Is Jed a solid QB? Yes. Does he offer a major element to the game, especially passing, that West Henderson will have to really prepare for? Personally, I don’t think so.

And I would argue differently. Polk has an East-West All Star WR that torched Tuscola for 100yds and 2 TDs in week 2. The following week West held him to 38yds and 0 TDs. Against Erwin, West held them to their lowest competition % on the year and only 75 passing yards which is lower than both ACR and TCR held them to. If you want to test Truitt and company, be my guest. Let me know how that works out. Lol. It’ll especially be tough if you can’t run the ball efficiently.
You can’t compare ACR and West passing defense against Erwin because we had a running clock in the 3rd quarter and had mostly backups playing the whole second half.

You can’t compare ACR and West passing defense against Erwin because we had a running clock in the 3rd quarter and had mostly backups playing the whole second half.
To be fair, West did too. It was 40-10 going into the 4th with backups playing most of the 2nd half.

To be fair, West did too. It was 40-10 going into the 4th with backups playing most of the 2nd half.
What I am saying is if both teams played backups most of the second half then you really aren’t comparing first string defenses. It only means one team played with a little better backups. Impossible to compare one game like this against a really inferior opponent for both teams. Also, WH/Erwin game never went to running clock, it was 33-10 headed to the 4th.

Don’t misunderstand me, I know West is legit, and respect the heck out of what they have done there.

This will be an interesting game to gauge whether or not west Henderson is an actual threat to make a run in the playoffs. If this is a game in the fourth quarter I’d be very concerned. Because the big dogs would running clock tuscola. That’s how I knew in week 1 we wouldn’t be having a very good season. A legit power would blow tuscola off the field. And we didn’t do that

What I am saying is if both teams played backups most of the second half then you really aren’t comparing first string defenses. It only means one team played with a little better backups. Impossible to compare one game like this against a really inferior opponent for both teams. Also, WH/Erwin game never went to running clock, it was 33-10 headed to the 4th.
If memory serves me correct West scored extremely early in the 4th but the game was out of hand for 90% of the game. Had it not been for 3 West turnovers on their side of the field it would have been a lot of worse because I’m fairly certain Erwin had less than 75 total yards. I think we’re proving his point about the West defense if Reynolds and West fans are debating about who’s better because the Rockets are the standard everyone wants to compare themselves to. West is stout and Tuscola has a tough job this week.

If memory serves me correct West scored extremely early in the 4th but the game was out of hand for 90% of the game. Had it not been for 3 West turnovers on their side of the field it would have been a lot of worse because I’m fairly certain Erwin had less than 75 total yards. I think we’re proving his point about the West defense if Reynolds and West fans are debating about who’s better because the Rockets are the standard everyone wants to compare themselves to. West is stout and Tuscola has a tough job this week.
seriously I’m not debating who is better us or WH, I was simply saying judging stats from a common opponent when both teams clearly used backups ALOT isn’t a fair comparison for either team. I believe WH is really good, it would be kinda cool if WH and ACR got to meet up in the playoffs, it would be great for WNC football.

I think West wins but Tuscola is playing better right now than they were the first of the year .Will come down to who makes the least mistakes .Want West to win so my Bears have a playoff game at home if they beat North.

Truitt's an impressive player. Definitely caught my eye when I watched the West Hendo/Hendersonville game on Youtube. He reminds me of a guy named Bryse Wilson, who played for Orange back in the 2010's. I think Wilson is still pitching in MLB.

This will be an interesting game to gauge whether or not west Henderson is an actual threat to make a run in the playoffs. If this is a game in the fourth quarter I’d be very concerned. Because the big dogs would running clock tuscola. That’s how I knew in week 1 we wouldn’t be having a very good season. A legit power would blow tuscola off the field. And we didn’t do that
I could not agree with this more, AhsCougar1. This is a good measuring stick for WH right before the playoffs.

Limiting an Erwin team with a freshman QB to under 100 yards passing, and stopping a below average 1A team’s best player is not something that is indicative of an elite defense. A large portion of 3-A playoff caliber teams would (and should) be able to do the same with ease.

Reactions: AhsCougar1
I could not agree with this more, AhsCougar1. This is a good measuring stick for WH right before the playoffs.

Limiting an Erwin team with a freshman QB to under 100 yards passing, and stopping a below average 1A team’s best player is not something that is indicative of an elite defense. A large portion of 3-A playoff caliber teams would (and should) be able to do the same with ease.
That 1A teams best player torched Tuscola the week prior but somehow Tuscola is the litmus test for West. West has more interceptions than Tuscola has passing TDs on the year but this will be the West secondary’s biggest test. Your logic is dumbfounding.

I feel like the Dudleys, the crests, the kings mountains, the west charlottes….etc…. These teams would have 35 on tuscola by halftime so if this west Henderson game with tuscola is even a debate, that’s not good. Lol but who knows, west Henderson may blow them out! They’re an impressive looking team. But how much of that is them playing rugby middle schools schedule?
Apparently the computers think the same too since they’re 9-0 and not ranked in the top 10 in 3A. Having said all that, you never know what can happen on Friday night for anybody.

Reactions: beamer24
I feel like the Dudleys, the crests, the kings mountains, the west charlottes….etc…. These teams would have 35 on tuscola by halftime so if this west Henderson game with tuscola is even a debate, that’s not good. Lol but who knows, west Henderson may blow them out! They’re an impressive looking team. But how much of that is them playing rugby middle schools schedule?
Apparently the computers think the same too since they’re 9-0 and not ranked in the top 10 in 3A. Having said all that, you never know what can happen on Friday night for anybody.
I’m genuinely asking not being a fan of Tuscola or West but you just named some of the best teams in all of NC regardless of classification so what is the context of this post? Nobody is claiming West is going to win a state championship are they?

Reactions: MillsRiverFalcon
Have you saw West play in person? That is simply a question to see where this statement is coming from.

I have saw West but I have not saw any of the 4 teams that you mentioned in the first line. In that respect, these next statements are coming more from what I've seen here, a small amount of video, and rankings.

Speaking on Crest, Kings Mountain, West Charlotte. They are all heavily tilted to extreme strengths with other parts of their team that is hovering around average or below. West's strength is their balance. They are not overly tilted in any direction but well above average in most facets. If they dictate this game like they are capable, do they win by 35+, I'm not sure. However, if they do play their ballgame I think you'll see that they keep Tuscola well under their thumb all night and they will respond well to any small breakdowns that may occur. That seems to be their strength, IMO. Well coached with balance and above average speed as a team.

I cant recall anyone here saying that West Henderson IS going to win a state championship either.

What I DO know is that Tuscola has played the same conference schedule as West....this year and last year.

I also know that going into this game last year was gonna be a dog fight of two undefeated teams but it never happened. Im not at all saying that will happen this year, but if your gonna compare the majority of a schedule with one team then lets compare it to both.

IMO this year's West Henderson team is an overall better team than last years, but we will wait to see what happens on Friday night

That 1A teams best player torched Tuscola the week prior but somehow Tuscola is the litmus test for West. West has more interceptions than Tuscola has passing TDs on the year but this will be the West secondary’s biggest test. Your logic is dumbfounding.
"Feels like this is a game where Tuscola matches up decently well in. I don’t foresee them stopping West Henderson’s offense though. If Tuscola is going to win, they are going to have to hope for some miscues on offense from the Falcons."

Please read my original post at the top of the thread. Not once did I mention Tuscola being a good defensive team. I even went as far as to say that West would have to make some mistakes offensively for Tuscola to have a chance. But, to say that Tuscola's offense is not playing well at the moment is asinine. West Henderson's secondary has not been "tested" since week 3 (I'll even give you the benefit of the doubt and call Polk County a "test"). I simply stated that it will be their biggest test since that certain point in the season.

West is obviously the class of the Mountain 7 this year. Congrats to them.

No I don’t believe anybody is thinking they’ll win a state championship, but if my team was sitting at 9-0 that thought would cross my mind lol. The question I wonder about west Henderson is “how big is the gap between a crest team that is 9-0 or kings mountain that is 9-0 vs this west Henderson team that is 9-0”. I bring those particular teams up, because those are 3A west teams, the kind west Henderson would inevitably have to face should they indeed be one of those 3rd or fourth round caliber teams

"Feels like this is a game where Tuscola matches up decently well in. I don’t foresee them stopping West Henderson’s offense though. If Tuscola is going to win, they are going to have to hope for some miscues on offense from the Falcons."

Please read my original post at the top of the thread. Not once did I mention Tuscola being a good defensive team. I even went as far as to say that West would have to make some mistakes offensively for Tuscola to have a chance. But, to say that Tuscola's offense is not playing well at the moment is asinine. West Henderson's secondary has not been "tested" since week 3 (I'll even give you the benefit of the doubt and call Polk County a "test"). I simply stated that it will be their biggest test since that certain point in the season.

West is obviously the class of the Mountain 7 this year. Congrats to them.
Nobody has said Tuscola’s offense hasn’t been playing well, you’re insinuating and have insinuated that Tuscola is some passing juggernaut that the West secondary hasn’t seen despite the fact that nearly every statistic and verifiable metric says the opposite. Let’s not mixup the debate here. You can trash Polk all day but they presented a better passing attack than Tuscola.

No I don’t believe anybody is thinking they’ll win a state championship, but if my team was sitting at 9-0 that thought would cross my mind lol. The question I wonder about west Henderson is “how big is the gap between a crest team that is 9-0 or kings mountain that is 9-0 vs this west Henderson team that is 9-0”. I bring those particular teams up, because those are 3A west teams, the kind west Henderson would inevitably have to face should they indeed be one of those 3rd or fourth round caliber teams
West should cross that bridge when they get there rather than worrying about hypothetical point spreads versus hypothetical opponents. Lol.

Nobody has said Tuscola’s offense hasn’t been playing well, you’re insinuating and have insinuated that Tuscola is some passing juggernaut that the West secondary hasn’t seen despite the fact that nearly every statistic and verifiable metric says the opposite. Let’s not mixup the debate here. You can trash Polk all day but they presented a better passing attack than Tuscola.
Again, didn’t say they hadn’t seen it. Just stated that they haven’t been tested since week 1 (or 3). Tuscola is not an elite passing offense, but rather a decent one with an above average quarterback and average receivers. Probably the second best passing attack in the Mountain 7 behind West Henderson. West Henderson SHOULD blow them out if they have hopes of competing beyond the second round of the playoffs.

Enjoy your conference championship.

Personally I’ll be interested to see how Franklin does against TCR on Friday. WH handled them easily, can TCR do the same and if they do is TCR considered equal to or close to WH? If TCR struggles or wins only by a couple TD’s then I’d have to say WH is better, if it’s a blowout then they both have to be kinda close to each other.

Roberson and Franklin final game of the regular season. What a random ass game that is.
Yeah, they’ve played this game for a couple years now, seems they both have their conference open date in week 11 so they picked it up. It’s probably good for TCR to get that loss to ACR last week out of their heads.

I suppose there is no telling what crompton could have up his sleeve this week against west Henderson. Anybody that has shared a QB room with Bill a belichick and Tom Brady probably can game plan pretty well lol. And tuscola hasn’t been blown out really all year

I suppose there is no telling what crompton could have up his sleeve this week against west Henderson. Anybody that has shared a QB room with Bill a belichick and Tom Brady probably can game plan pretty well lol. And tuscola hasn’t been blown out really all year
Yeah, he game plans so well he had to have his (former Smoky) QB run Smoky’s play calls to his DC every play in order to beat that 3 win team.

• Haha
Reactions: 91ths
Tuscola doesn't have the defense to hang with West. They have improved as the season has progressed but this will be the best offense they have faced.

Reactions: Reynoldsrocks2
If Tuscola can play with the same intensity that they did against Pisgah it will be a competitive game, that was the key against Pisgah, the defense played their best game and played with more emotion than any this season, it's hard to match the intensity and emotion of that game but they'll have to in order to stay in it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT