ADVERTISEMENT

Very interesting

I haven’t always been a fan of the way the NCHSAA does things. But doesn’t take a prophet to see where this is headed. Like everything else, now the legislators are high school athletics experts. The one body that can screw up anything more than any other is the state legislature.

I share many of the concerns voiced by some in the legislature. It is incredible the tens of millions of dollars the NHSAA has accumulated while the individual schools are literally going broke because their athletic teams cannot survive financially. I just wonder where the priorities should be - the schools or the NHSAA.

I don't pretend to know the solutions but the issue most certainly needs to be studied.

Reactions: LetsGetIt7
I agree, Mule. Just don’t trust the legislature to do it. We seem to continually inject partisan politics into everything about education.

Reactions: LetsGetIt7
I look at the NCHSAA the same as NCAA. They are making money hand over fist, especially in football. Every school in the state is struggling with finances. It will get worse before it gets better. If it is what they say.... A rainy day fund? It's been flooding for nearly a year.

I have had issues with the monies they bring in and release back to the schools. The money should be divided amongst the schools.
They talk about the fees it cost to rent Duke, State, Wake and UNC. I'd much rather watch championship games at Elon, A & T, UNCC.

I could go on and on about my

I look at the NCHSAA the same as NCAA. They are making money hand over fist, especially in football. Every school in the state is struggling with finances. It will get worse before it gets better. If it is what they say.... A rainy day fund? It's been flooding for nearly a year.

I have had issues with the monies they bring in and release back to the schools. The money should be divided amongst the schools.
They talk about the fees it cost to rent Duke, State, Wake and UNC. I'd much rather watch championship games at Elon, A & T, UNCC.

Preach it brother, no sense playing in those stadiums. They are so big compared to size of the crowds that come. Absolutely no atmosphere way to few fans and way to far from the field.

Gardner Webb has an incredible football facility that would be perfect for hosting western championships as well

I could talk for literally HOURS about the problems with the NCHSAA, so a part of me is laughing about this. But if you want it done WORSE...let he legislature handle it,

And while I have a MILLION issues with the NCHSAA, the attendance thing has been handled about the best they can handle it. They have been trying not to overstep their bounds and see the Governor reel them in. their concern that sports might get shut down has led them to be veeeeerrry cooperative with the Governor. But overall i think this is actually an issue that was not created by them. had they said "forget this, we are letting 50% in!!", they risk the Governor's wrath. So I think a lot of the hand wringing over that is misplaced. I dont believe they ae to blame for that. If you disagree, i think you lay it at the Governor's door.

I also have read some opinions where people see this as a response to the transgender issue coming up. maybe has a part. I certainly do not think biological males should be playing girls sports, but the policy the NCHSAA does have is very restrictive compared to a few more "open door" ones up north. I don't think that issue is a big one, as we have not seen an onslaught of that happening. And i dont think we will. And eventually its gonna be handled in court im pretty sure. But not sure thats a good enough issue to take over the NCHSAA (although the interview I saw with the Senator didnt say they were looking at that, he didnt say no, either).

I also think some realignment issues and playoff stuff affecting certain reps constituents may have something to do with this. i certainly dont always agree with the way thats done, but again, not sure the legislature can do it any better unless they just appoint me to do it lol.

The biggest issue i see affecting the NCHSAA is the charter/prep/parochial issue, as well as the recruiting issue and the scramble of kids heading to privates. This is something that is NOT going away. However, not sure that the legislature would change much. The biggest thing that gets coaches and Ads riled up these days in having kids recruited and poached, and how unlevel the playing field is. Those willing to cheat in general are not punished. You can argue with me all you want, but thats how people feel, and much of it is legit.

Que Tucker's "ask our membership about the job we do" quote yesterday made me laugh out loud. there are certainly NCHSAA good ole boys and apologists, but I know very few coaches/Ads who think much of the job they do. Most just cant say it publically.

If they can hold the NCHSAA a little more accountable or affect some things in a positive way, great. but my gut says that as much as im gonna enjoy watching the NCHSAA twist in the wind, we would just be trading one inept leadership group for an even more inept one unless we got lucky.

IMO, this another example of government interference. Is NCHSAA perfect? No. Could they do more for schools? Probably. Are they fair? Depends on who you ask and I think they are most of the time. Once you get to know them personally, and few do, they are good people who put other’s interests before their own. Legislators need to stay out of this.

I do like the idea of playing championship games at smaller venues. Some will remember when all games were played at UNC. That was convenient for NCHSAA but Carolina folks didn’t mind either. The other big 4 schools complained that it gave UNC an advantage in recruiting so the association started rotating each level. I’ve always wondered what some of the other schools thought about that? If I am ECU or App State or now UNCC I’d like a piece of that action. What about A & T? It works fine for the track championships. Why would it not work for football?

IMO, this another example of government interference. Is NCHSAA perfect? No. Could they do more for schools? Probably. Are they fair? Depends on who you ask and I think they are most of the time. Once you get to know them personally, and few do, they are good people who put other’s interests before their own. Legislators need to stay out of this.

I do like the idea of playing championship games at smaller venues. Some will remember when all games were played at UNC. That was convenient for NCHSAA but Carolina folks didn’t mind either. The other big 4 schools complained that it gave UNC an advantage in recruiting so the association started rotating each level. I’ve always wondered what some of the other schools thought about that? If I am ECU or App State or now UNCC I’d like a piece of that action. What about A & T? It works fine for the track championships. Why would it not work for football?
You can't play the games in App ST or ECU because it would put schools in the far East or West at an disadvantage. Games played in the central part of the state at smaller schools stadiums would be best.

Gardner Webb has an incredible football facility that would be perfect for hosting western championships as well

Says a Cleveland County resident? I'm a graduate of GWU, and I love the new football facilities but Cleveland County high school football programs don't need any advantages. Burns, Crest, Kings Mountain and Shelby already some of the best programs in the state. They sure don't need home field advantage on top of that.

i read where there was $4mm distributed to the schools for “covid” relief? I know there has been some schools that have complained but it seems most were told to keep quiet and not complain about not playing. In essence the 4mm was hush money.

End of their physical year 2018, 41 million in the bank. NCHSAA having a press conference tomorrow at 9:30 to address concerns. Does sound like legislators are on a witch hunt, though.

There is an old saying "Power Corrupts and Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely". Sometimes a little common sense goes a long ways when rules and the application of those rules are involved with the lives of young people.

Last edited:
Reactions: beamer24
I think the fight rules need to be reexamined. A "push" can actually ne construed as a fight under NCHSAA rules. And I think we need to differentiate between kids joining a fight and taking a few steps off the sideline.

As I said, i could talk 5 hours about the problems I have with the NCHSAA. And if somehow this helps the charter situation, great. but if anyone thinks that the legislature somehow running HS sports is gonna make it any better, I got some beachfront property in arizona to sell you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT