ADVERTISEMENT

Venue thoughts

ncball04

Oct 21, 2014
What are everyone’s thoughts on this years venues?

LR was a disaster. They had half a parking lot blocked off for the lacrosse match, if you didn’t arrive 2 hours early, you weren’t getting in. They told fans they would start selling tickets at the start of the 4th quarter of the current game, but didn’t so people stood outside in the rain.

NC has great basketball, and while it’s a great atmosphere to have in these gyms, it’s also a nightmare and needs to be in bigger venues. They had to be well over capacity in the 1st game.

What are everyone’s thoughts?

I’m sure the state’s concern in moving the regional to Hickory is to be more centrally located for the western teams (think about the mountain teams especially). From a logistical stand point, it makes much more sense to have the regionals either in Winston Salem (LJVM or the LJVM annex) or in Greensboro (UNCG). Better parking and much better accessibility for everyone in either of those. I’m sure they also have to work around college schedules.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Hickory is great geographically.

The games are too close together. They are going to need to go to two games on Friday which would allow for three games at each facility Saturday. This would allow for 2.5 or three hours between games which would clear the gym easily allow the following games fans to enter and find a seat.

Lawrence Joel will no longer be available as Wake wants it available for their use.

Greensboro is too far east. SE Guilford is located twelve miles from the Coliseum Complex and won the girls east regional championship. Also, the Annex at Greensboro Coliseum is terrible. UNCG has a thousand less seats than LR.

Charlotte has UNCC, Bojangles formerly Independence Arena, and Davidson College. If those three were interested that would be a great option but it is also a considerable distance for the more western schools.

LR had too much scheduled Saturday. Lacrosse, softball doubleheader, spring football, and athletic facility dedication ceremony in addition to the four regional finals.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Hickory is great geographically.

The games are too close together. They are going to need to go to two games on Friday which would allow for three games at each facility Saturday. This would allow for 2.5 or three hours between games which would clear the gym easily allow the following games fans to enter and find a seat.

Lawrence Joel will no longer be available as Wake wants it available for their use.

Greensboro is too far east. SE Guilford is located twelve miles from the Coliseum Complex and won the girls east regional championship. Also, the Annex at Greensboro Coliseum is terrible. UNCG has a thousand less seats than LR.

Charlotte has UNCC, Bojangles formerly Independence Arena, and Davidson College. If those three were interested that would be a great option but it is also a considerable distance for the more western schools.

Davidson College hosted games back in the early 90s. I went to some and thought it was a great fit! Better than standing in the rain and not getting in to the game at all!

LR provides an amazing atmosphere but it’s just far too small as far as parking and having to wait in the rain due to being sold out. Honestly western finals just need to be held at the higher seeds home gym like every other sport until states but that’s just my opinion.

Charlotte would be perfect if UNCC and Davidson were interested.

I arrived at LR around 4:15 yesterday hoping to watch the 4A boys game at 6. The gym was at capacity for the 4:00 game, so my options were stand outside in line and wait for the 4:00 game to end, or go somewhere and watch college ball on television. I chose the latter. I typically try to see as many boys regional finals as possible every year, and this year with the scheduling I could only see two at most, and then I couldn’t even get in the gym to see the second one. I watched the 2A boys and nothing else. Luckily that was a great game. But overall I was very disappointed with only getting to see one regional game.

Charlotte would be perfect if UNCC and Davidson were interested.

I arrived at LR around 4:15 yesterday hoping to watch the 4A boys game at 6. The gym was at capacity for the 4:00 game, so my options were stand outside in line and wait for the 4:00 game to end, or go somewhere and watch college ball on television. I chose the latter. I typically try to see as many boys regional finals as possible every year, and this year with the scheduling I could only see two at most, and then I couldn’t even get in the gym to see the second one. I watched the 2A boys and nothing else. Luckily that was a great game. But overall I was very disappointed with only getting to see one regional game.
I knew it was going to be that way, it was the same way 15 years ago when it was there. Did make for a great atmosphere though.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Just cant make people happy. Complain about the location u tilt they change it and then complain because they did. Should have left it in Winston Salem

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Just cant make people happy. Complain about the location u tilt they change it and then complain because they did. Should have left it in Winston Salem
Wake was not available and the Annex now has the Hockey team.

Winston is no longer an option.
If they scheduled far enough in advance you could easily have the games at the LJVM Annex (work with Thunderbirds to be away that weekend). 2 games on Thursday, 2 on Friday, 4 on Saturday.

If they scheduled far enough in advance you could easily have the games at the LJVM Annex (work with Thunderbirds to be away that weekend). 2 games on Thursday, 2 on Friday, 4 on Saturday.
I have seen games in annex, certainly better viewing than GSO annex. But not sure what WS annex seats for Basketball. I know they announce a hockey sellout at 2500.

Other than conflicts with WFU, why is Winston no longer an option? Or is that the sole reason?

I have been told Wake is not interested in renting Joel out that weekend in the future which appears to be the main reason. I would think they could do it every other year there. Joel swallows up the crowd but I do think the 3A boys game could have pulled a much larger crowd there. I spoke with people that did not even try to go due to expecting the situation to be a tough.

You’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Central location, too far east, too big, too small, et al.

I have been told Wake is not interested in renting Joel out that weekend in the future which appears to be the main reason. I would think they could do it every other year there. Joel swallows up the crowd but I do think the 3A boys game could have pulled a much larger crowd there. I spoke with people that did not even try to go due to expecting the situation to be a tough.

You’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Central location, too far east, too big, too small, et al.
Did you attend the 4A game at LR? I figured by last game of the day they would be turning people away at it.

OBTW, would have been the third largest crowd at the Joel this year behind Duke and Carolina games,

Although Greensboro Grimsley hosted the championship game in the early eighties, it's probably not large enough these days. NC A&T isn't large enough either, with Moore Gymnasium holding only 1, 200. . I agree about the deplorable Greensboro Special Events Center as being fan unfriendly, and with games such as Southwest Guilford and Cox Mill, this facility may not be large enough either. Move the games to Bojangles Arena in Charlotte or Davidson College and if people don't like the logistics of this site, stay at home, but the scenario at Lenior-Rhyne is totally unacceptable. Catawba College's facility is also too small, so if the Greensboro Coliseum itself isn't available, which it won't be because of the women's ACC tournament, move all the West Regional games to Charlotte, even though the Queen City isn't centrally located.

Did you attend the 4A game at LR? I figured by last game of the day they would be turning people away at it,

All four at LR. I took my seat top row of lower section exactly at midcourt opposite side of teams/scorers table. I did not move until final game.

The crowd for the girls games were huge. I understand people waited outside for that game to end in order to get in. They have to spread the games out more. I think this would have worked well if there had been three games starting at noon, 3:15, and 6:30. The egress of fans leaving and entering would not be an issue as much.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
I always find it interesting that when this arena and location topic comes up that it seems to me like we are not using some of the best facialities available for none other reason than how far a team my have to travel.to me that should be the least thing to consider my thinking is most schools and fans should be so excited just to still be playing and for most of these kids and fans it is one big adventure the farther away the better now this is the attitude of someone who's team Mt Heritage is only played in two state championship games 1981 girls basketball and 2009 football but I can see some people complaining about travel just because there team is making deep runs yearly they don't want to wear out the family car or just can't afford a long trip that's legitimate excuses but I only read it's not fair for this team to do this and that team to do that. well there is no dang system you can come up with that will treat ever team the same exact way even if they was you would still have complaints I guess the point I'm trying to make is just go play the game no matter where its at and enjoy the whole experience

LR provides an amazing atmosphere but it’s just far too small as far as parking and having to wait in the rain due to being sold out. Honestly western finals just need to be held at the higher seeds home gym like every other sport until states but that’s just my opinion.
Back when I played, we made it to regional finals one year. The regionals(semis and finals) were at east Burke high school. Like I said in another post the final 8 teams in the state need to have one state tournament. And winner take all. That way if you have 3 or 4 teams that are better than 1 team from another part of the state. Those 3 or 4 teams actually have a chance to play for a state championship, and eliminate these blowouts. The two best teams regardless (east or west) would get to play for the title. The nchsaa is too old school and way behind the 8 ball. The best teams are not always from different parts of the state!

Back when I played, we made it to regional finals one year. The regionals(semis and finals) were at east Burke high school. Like I said in another post the final 8 teams in the state need to have one state tournament. And winner take all. That way if you have 3 or 4 teams that are better than 1 team from another part of the state. Those 3 or 4 teams actually have a chance to play for a state championship, and eliminate these blowouts. The two best teams regardless (east or west) would get to play for the title. The nchsaa is too old school and way behind the 8 ball. The best teams are not always from different parts of the state!
That could have 2 teams playing each other 4 or 5 times.

That could have 2 teams playing each other 4 or 5 times.
Who cares we played a conference opponent 4 times in 2nd round. Anybody can lose a game on any given night. But beating someone twice is different story. Also, you could make it single elimination and weed out the weaker east teams. Imo, the state championship game should be between the two BEST teams.

Who cares we played a conference opponent 4 times in 2nd round. Anybody can lose a game on any given night. But beating someone twice is different story. Also, you could make it single elimination and weed out the weaker east teams. Imo, the state championship game should be between the two BEST teams.
South Greene a dominant small school over the past 5 years lost a game n playoffs in girls every time they won state title. But like I said beating a great team twice is different story. One and done puts too much pressure on high school athletes. Look at Erwin in 3a girls, had one bad game against Statesville in 2nd round. Beating them again, would not happen.

South Greene a dominant small school over the past 5 years lost a game n playoffs in girls every time they won state title. But like I said beating a great team twice is different story. One and done puts too much pressure on high school athletes. Look at Erwin in 3a girls, had one bad game against Statesville in 2nd round. Beating them again, would not happen.
But that’s what makes the playoffs so interesting same with March madness the fun in it is the chance for an upset any team can go down any night. The team that stays focused and on their game every time they step on the floor is the team that will win. Every team has an even shot at winning it’s simple win 6 games and your the champions nothing wrong with the current bracket

But that’s what makes the playoffs so interesting same with March madness the fun in it is the chance for an upset any team can go down any night. The team that stays focused and on their game every time they step on the floor is the team that will win. Every team has an even shot at winning it’s simple win 6 games and your the champions nothing wrong with the current bracket
It's bs. Any team can have an off night. Just like let's say Cherokee would have beat you. No way they beat es again.

It's bs. Any team can have an off night. Just like let's say Cherokee would have beat you. No way they beat es again.
Agreed any team can have an off night and I don’t think Cherokee would beat east twice but it makes it more fun never seen anyone who doesn’t love a good Cinderella run unless it’s their team that gets knocked out by it

Here’s a clue to the way it works...you win even when you have an off night and don’t play well. That’s what championship teams do

Reactions: sbbbfan
I guess we need a double elimination tournament so Avery can have another chance. Come on. You lost. Two great teams are playing for the championship and they earned it

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Agreed any team can have an off night and I don’t think Cherokee would beat east twice but it makes it more fun never seen anyone who doesn’t love a good Cinderella run unless it’s their team that gets knocked out by it
Maybe one day you will find out what the other side feels like. Then you will feel the same way I do

Here’s a clue to the way it works...you win even when you have an off night and don’t play well. That’s what championship teams do
Pamlico is by no means a great team. I have seen them play twice. The talent on the western teams is way better. You just benefit from the weak eastern teams. You don't have anything to brag about. You get blowed out in big game. Saturday will not be any different!!

I guess we need a double elimination tournament so Avery can have another chance. Come on. You lost. Two great teams are playing for the championship and they earned it
Yea we lost. But if you played Murphy or Avery on your side of the bracket, you would be sitting at home as well.

When you win by 20 or 30 points in every game on one side of the state, and then get whipped by 20 or 30 in championship game. There is something bad wrong with playoff format!!

It's basketball not football. Lot easier to shoot ball in basket, than go 100 yards down a football field. Meaning any average team can hit everything they throw up. But any average team cannot do that two nights in a row. I have seen it too many times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT