ADVERTISEMENT

Tuscola/Pisgah

wrs06

Nov 28, 2006
Maybe I missed it but I have yet to see a thread about the actual game. All I have seen is the threads about the 50/50.

Tuscola/Pisgah is supposedly the greatest rivalry in the state and I would agree with that, but why is there no talk about the game. Used to be pages and pages before and after the game.

Does the game take a back seat to the 50/50 now?

Maybe I missed it but I have yet to see a thread about the actual game. All I have seen is the threads about the 50/50.

Tuscola/Pisgah is supposedly the greatest rivalry in the state and I would agree with that, but why is there no talk about the game. Used to be pages and pages before and after the game.

Does the game take a back seat to the 50/50 now?

There is a thread on the 2A board. The chatter on here about the game is not close to what it use to be, but there has still been 5,000 views about this years game.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Wrs06, what's there to talk about? The 50/50 was more exciting than the game if your a tuscola fan. :D

I'd like to know what everyone thinks about the state of the program at Tuscola. I know how I feel and, let's not kid ourselves, we've all seen the facebook posts for about five days now. We all heard the comments in the stands Friday night. We've all sat through 5 straight gut wrenching years of losing to our brother. So what's the deal. Is the program solid or not?

Just an opinion from a Pisgah fan... but, you guys will not be solid again until you have a chance of scenery on the sidelines. I just don't think your coach understands the Haywood County mentality as far as how some things (like the rivalry, youth program involvement, etc.) goes and what it truly means to some people. You don't have to be from here either, that's an irrelevant argument because Chappells not from here and he embraces the communtiy mentality and all of those others things I mentioned with so much passion and importance. It just brings the best out of the players, parents, fans, alumni, and everyone involved with the program. Tuscola needs to find their version of that and they will be solid again. Anyways, just my two cents.

I agree with most everything that WNC123 says. I disagree with the opinion that our coach has not built a decent program. We are not great by any means, but he has done a nice job setting a foundation for the next coach. The frustration the fans feel with losing 5 in a row does not allow many to see the big picture. I do agree that two of the four losses to Pisgah fall heavily on his shoulders. IMO, Tuscola needs a coach with some head coaching experience that is around 40 years old or so, has some fire to him, and doesn't hide from the importance of the rivalry game.

Reactions: RealityRulz
Does Pursley live in Haywood county now or does he still live down east? Serious question.

I think Tuscolas problem is a lot more than coaching.Losing your manufacturing base,Dayco,Welco had a lot to do with what happened.Brevard saw the same thing happen.If Everygreen shut down the same would happen here.Look at Brevard.Tourists moving here are retired no kids.Our kids are moving away because of low wage jobs.Just my opinion.

Reactions: PBBear51
I agree with what Pisgah Bears said as well. A lot of it has to do with the changing of the times. There's just not as many high paying jobs around here anymore for the average Joe with any type of higher education or desire of an above mediocre salary based job. I graduated from WCU in 2011 and after graduating, I was the only one of my 6 roommates (1 was from West Hendeson, 3 from Tuscola, and me and another guy from Pisgah) to even land a job related to our degree in this whole region (and no, none of our degrees were in any kind of ridiculous liberal femistic women dance studies bologna or anything like that!) Haywood County has been flooded with the arrival of for the majority Floridians, retirees, those of affluence, and elder residents. The West side of the county more so. There's nothing wrong with that but it does nothing for the youth scene as far as sports goes. If they do have kids, then they're already grown. On the contrary, people from there are leaving after finishing school, taking jobs in other places, and having kids elsewhere. Which in turn I think further explains the loss of school spirit going around. If it was never a part of you, then it's simply not going to mean as much to you. If Evergreen ever was to shut down, God forbid, then I don't even know what Canton would be like anymore. It would be completely unrecognizable and I hope to never see that happen.

He lives in Maggie Valley. He bought a house there about 3 years ago.

Actually...... Might wanna check that. I believe Maggie is just an "in season" home. While the real work is being put in by the team from January to May (getting bigger, faster, stronger, building team morale and chemistry, bonding as family unit) the HC still occupies a nice place at home in Greensboro. Like I said, might just wanna double check that one.

I was under the impression he still went to Greensboro after the season. If he does my point is this...why would anyone doing this be invested in the community? He's here 5 months out of the year. It's a job to him not a future. Anyone one of us that has traveled for a job can relate to that. For example take the new Brevard coach. He moved here from Georgia. He has a vested interest in the community over there. Now Brevard is back on the football map after a few years of struggling. Don't think it's the blue collar jobs moving out the area that is the problem.Brevard has lost many blue collar jobs.

I believe Pursley is a good coach. His record proves it. I think tuscola don't have the horses up front this year. They've got speed but none of that matters if the defense is on top of them before they get started.

Another thing, him not being here to see what goes on with the kids during basketball, wrestling, baseball and other sports is the reason he down plays the football game. If he seen this I believe he's get into it a little more. He'd understand the build up to the game.

Last edited:
I was under the impression he still went to Greensboro after the season. If he does my point is this...why would anyone doing this be invested in the community? He's here 5 months out of the year. It's a job to him not a future. Anyone one of us that has traveled for a job can relate to that. For example take the new Brevard coach. He moved here from Georgia. He has a vested interest in the community over there. Now Brevard is back on the football map after a few years of struggling. Don't think it's the blue collar jobs moving out the area that is the problem.Brevard has lost many blue collar jobs.

I believe Pursley is a good coach. His record proves it. I think tuscola don't have the horses up front this year. They've got speed but none of that matters if the defense is on top of them before they get started.

Another thing, him not being here to see what goes on with the kids during basketball, wrestling, baseball and other sports is the reason he down plays the football game. If he seen this I believe he's get into it a little more. He'd understand the build up to the game.
What in the heck:eek: he does not stay for the offseason what about summer workouts and all the other stuff that comes with being a coach. Wow that's hard to believe

Mopar, that's what was happening the first couple seasons. I pretty sure he still does. Nobody sees him around after football. He leaves the weights and other stuff to his assistants.

If he really does only live here for about 5 months a year, then that's just absolutely crazy and explains a lot! LOL. I thought coaches had to hold an actual teaching position of some kind with the school? I know assistants don't have to be employed at the school, but I thought head coaches did. I could be completely wrong though...

If he really does only live here for about 5 months a year, then that's just absolutely crazy and explains a lot! LOL. I thought coaches had to hold an actual teaching position of some kind with the school? I know assistants don't have to be employed at the school, but I thought head coaches did. I could be completely wrong though...

I don't know if it is by county or not, but we had a Girls Soccer Coach for close to 10 years who was outside of Cleveland County Schools.

The biggest problem Tuscola has is the fact that a huge part of the population on that side of the county is floridiots who don't care anything about the school and don't know their butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to football. And that isn't changing anytime soon. (if ever)

I think Tuscolas problem is a lot more than coaching.Losing your manufacturing base,Dayco,Welco had a lot to do with what happened.Brevard saw the same thing happen.If Everygreen shut down the same would happen here.Look at Brevard.Tourists moving here are retired no kids.Our kids are moving away because of low wage jobs.Just my opinion.
Economic base does visibly have an impact on athletic programs. Blue collar families produce some mighty fine football players. Lord help us to keep the Mill running!

Since I am a Pisgah fan I hope they never beat us.But I have been around long enough to know that they will right the ship and start winning again.Hope that several years away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT