ADVERTISEMENT

Thomasville @ Mitchell Round 3

I noticed that too the one that laid there for a good while had me worried because they were acting pretty concerned was surprised when he walked off. But the others even #1 was limping off once then back in it was like they were cramping or something.
Don’t take this as an excuse, but 12 and 1 were injured in the East Davidson game and they’re recurring ailments. Kudos for their efforts.
Congratulations to Mitchell. From the time of possession, sounds like your coaches had a solid game plan.

Don’t take this as an excuse, but 12 and 1 were injured in the East Davidson game and they’re recurring ailments. Kudos for their efforts.
Congratulations to Mitchell. From the time of possession, sounds like your coaches had a solid game plan.
Well you wouldn't have known #12 still looked quick but especially #1 he's a very good player both ways but he definitely was the best player they had on their defense.

Hey Tvilledog how did our plow mules look? Or did you even bother coming? Congrats to Thomasville on a good season they surely have some studs for sure, and no quit in em either
Where is Peckerhead !!! Lmbo
I guess they still think Mitchell, Murphy & Robbinsville are slow. I sure enjoyed looking at the stats this morning. I wish the Mitchell game would have been live stream. I watched the Murphy & Robbinsville game at the same time.

I think we had the ball a little over 33 minutes. Bulldogs scored 14 on our defense. Our kids work year round and our coaches put in the time most of them aren’t teachers in the school system. Most of them played for coach riddle back in the day and love the program. Couldn’t be more proud of our community. Not only for being good but the class in which coach Pitman goes about it. Could’ve punched it in from the 3 with a minute left but took a knee.

One thing I noticed last night, several Thomasville players were slow to get up and had to be helped off the field. I believe they all returned to the game though. I guess them old slow plow mules and the cold had something to do with that
First of all congrats to Mitchell on the win. Great game, great coaching and great execution. This is a decent Thomasville team, but still not like the Brown coached teams I was talking about last week. Anyway. I think the cold stadium was a little overrated and it did not seem to affect our guys. I did see number 1 from Thomasville run over a few of those mules. Ask your linebacker and number 4. The only reason you saw him getting up slow a few times is because he was playing with a pretty serious knee injury. Best wishes to the Moutaineers next week. You'll be seeing another pretty good team from another part of the hills! By the way it was cool hearing some Hank Jr up in the mountains!

First of all congrats to Mitchell on the win. Great game, great coaching and great execution. This is a decent Thomasville team, but still not like the Brown coached teams I was talking about last week. Anyway. I think the cold stadium was a little overrated and it did not seem to affect our guys. I did see number 1 from Thomasville run over a few of those mules. Ask your linebacker and number 4. The only reason you saw him getting up slow a few times is because he was playing with a pretty serious knee injury. Best wishes to the Moutaineers next week. You'll be seeing another pretty good team from another part of the hills! By the way it was cool hearing some Hank Jr up in the mountains!
Well I've already bragged on #1 definitely best tville all-around player they'd been in more trouble defensively last night without him he's a load. But the whole team never quit some teams down 21-0 will.
Like I mentioned before I didn't really think weather would be a factor with the players, there was no wind at all last night which is rare and was nice makes a lot difference it usually the wind chill factor that makes the stadium colder in late year games but like I said my propane heater still made me popular to be around.
The music well to me sometimes can be to loud especially on top where I sit makes it hard to have a conversation sometimes it gets on my nerves.
Tville actually brought more fans then we talked about earlier would come which was good.

Yes he did. I think it was a pass play. He’s a load. I was just digging at TVilledawg. Thomasville did not quit for sure, but in all seriousness they had one of the worst run defenses Mitchell played all year. Thomasville’s speed kept several big runs from being TD’s. Mitchell pulled an old Murphy trick, find something that works and run it until they stop it.

And I did not mean your stadium was overrated -- it was a very nice stadium. Nice atmosphere and the folks we met in Western Sizzlin were very nice folks
I didn't take it that way, I assumed you were talking about the weather not the stadium itself because we did talk about or a least I did how it was usually colder because of the wind chill factor at the stadium and then the towns but for a pleasant surprise Friday night it wasn't any wind , we were saying that night that it's a lot more bearable without any wind.
Glad except for the outcome itself you had a good experience otherwise , they showed on the Mountaineer Facebook page where a tville gentleman commented to them how well he and others were treated visiting the county and they were very proud of that and wanted to share it saying..."It’s always nice when visitors compliment your community and school! Games are won on and off the field! Keep it classy MOUNTAINEER COUNTRY!! "

I didn't take it that way, I assumed you were talking about the weather not the stadium itself because we did talk about or a least I did how it was usually colder because of the wind chill factor at the stadium and then the towns but for a pleasant surprise Friday night it wasn't any wind , we were saying that night that it's a lot more bearable without any wind.
Glad except for the outcome itself you had a good experience otherwise , they showed on the Mountaineer Facebook page where a tville gentleman commented to them how well he and others were treated visiting the county and they were very proud of that and wanted to share it saying..."It’s always nice when visitors compliment your community and school! Games are won on and off the field! Keep it classy MOUNTAINEER COUNTRY!! "
I spoke to some folks at the Western Sizzlin and they were very nice! I am a pastor and I preached a couple of revivals there about 18 years ago -- one in Burnsville and another in Bakersville. Some of the nicest folks I've ever met there!!!!

Yes he did. I think it was a pass play. He’s a load. I was just digging at TVilledawg. Thomasville did not quit for sure, but in all seriousness they had one of the worst run defenses Mitchell played all year. Thomasville’s speed kept several big runs from being TD’s. Mitchell pulled an old Murphy trick, find something that works and run it until they stop it.
Yes I was so surprised to see their technique on the D line being pretty bad. I did notice your guys would alter the play and run opposite the side number 1 was lined up on. And yes, Coach Allen Brown used to do that -- run the same play till you could stop it. Seen him run 18 and 19 sweep over and over many times back in the day. T'ville used to be a ball control offense -- 3 yards in a cloud of dust back in the 80s and 90s! Best of luck!

What has happened to THS football? Yes, they do seem to be on the upswing and can maybe get back to the level they were when the Browns coached them. Just surprising to see a program with such a tradition fall as low as they did a few years back. The THS and Albemarle glory days sure seem like a long time ago now. But at least it looks like THS is headed back to being a force to be reckoned with.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
What has happened to THS football? Yes, they do seem to be on the upswing and can maybe get back to the level they were when the Browns coached them. Just surprising to see a program with such a tradition fall as low as they did a few years back. The THS and Albemarle glory days sure seem like a long time ago now. But at least it looks like THS is headed back to being a force to be reckoned with.
Considering the competition they played in the four years prior to this one, they did pretty well under Doug Robertson. Playing much larger schools and beat North Davidson once and Oak Grove a couple times.

But, you’re right that it took a dip between Brown and Robertson. Even in Coach Brown’s last couple of years, the biggest issue has been numbers. Taking the field with less than thirty varsity players is a challenge. For decades, Thomasville’s strength was being able to two platoon. That has been difficult for the last decade.

Part of the low numbers was also a result of some behavioral issues for a few years. I believe that started to change when, in his first meeting with the team, Coach Robertson told them, “if you don’t do what you’re supposed to between 8 and 3, I don’t need you between 3 and 8.”. He meant it, and that has continued under Coach Gillespie. Low numbers, but much better attitudes, hustle and behavior. We may not get back to winning state championships (or we may), but I think the winning culture is back. Now, we just need to get more fans back in the stands.

Considering the competition they played in the four years prior to this one, they did pretty well under Doug Robertson. Playing much larger schools and beat North Davidson once and Oak Grove a couple times.

But, you’re right that it took a dip between Brown and Robertson. Even in Coach Brown’s last couple of years, the biggest issue has been numbers. Taking the field with less than thirty varsity players is a challenge. For decades, Thomasville’s strength was being able to two platoon. That has been difficult for the last decade.

Part of the low numbers was also a result of some behavioral issues for a few years. I believe that started to change when, in his first meeting with the team, Coach Robertson told them, “if you don’t do what you’re supposed to between 8 and 3, I don’t need you between 3 and 8.”. He meant it, and that has continued under Coach Gillespie. Low numbers, but much better attitudes, hustle and behavior. We may not get back to winning state championships (or we may), but I think the winning culture is back. Now, we just need to get more fans back in the stands.
No doubt that discipline and getting the kids to buy in and do what is needed is essential to any successful program. I am surprised the numbers for the team are on the low side. THS still has a tradition of winning and state championships. Even though that has not happened recently, one would think kids would want to be a part of that tradition and be on the team. But it is good to see THS trending in the right direction.

Lexington HS is another program that has hit the bottom and cannot seem to get it going. They do not have the tradition that THS has, but they did win 2 or 3 state titles back in the 1980s, if I recall. Seems like both schools would have plenty of good athletes among the student body. But I guess if you do not have the correct coach in place, the kids are not disciplined and not very interested in playing then it is going to be a tough road at any school. Even if there is a tradition of winning.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
No doubt that discipline and getting the kids to buy in and do what is needed is essential to any successful program. I am surprised the numbers for the team are on the low side. THS still has a tradition of winning and state championships. Even though that has not happened recently, one would think kids would want to be a part of that tradition and be on the team. But it is good to see THS trending in the right direction.

Lexington HS is another program that has hit the bottom and cannot seem to get it going. They do not have the tradition that THS has, but they did win 2 or 3 state titles back in the 1980s, if I recall. Seems like both schools would have plenty of good athletes among the student body. But I guess if you do not have the correct coach in place, the kids are not disciplined and not very interested in playing then it is going to be a tough road at any school. Even if there is a tradition of winning.
There is a demographic element to the low numbers. Roughly a third of Thomasville High School students are Latino, few of whom play football. So you’re really drawing from about 400 students, half of whom are female. Compared to a student body of 1,000 in the 70’s and 80’s, none of whom were Latino.
For most of these students, they were three or four years old when the Bulldogs last won a state championship. So that tradition doesn’t mean as much as it might to you and me.

Believe the lack of business like Thomasville Furniture hurt us. Less money going into the school and people moving into town compared to what it was like when I was growing up.

This year was the first Bulldog team I seen with a real pulse since 2010. Wasn't necessarily thinking we win a championship this year. I do believe it's possible in the next couple years. Alot of guys coming back along with a good group from middle school. This year was a great experience for them to know what they are against.

Believe the lack of business like Thomasville Furniture hurt us. Less money going into the school and people moving into town compared to what it was like when I was growing up.

This year was the first Bulldog team I seen with a real pulse since 2010. Wasn't necessarily thinking we win a championship this year. I do believe it's possible in the next couple years. Alot of guys coming back along with a good group from middle school. This year was a great experience for them to know what they are against.
Yes, many of the blue collar type jobs that were in T-Ville and Lexington back in the 60s, 70s and 80s that are now overseas probably hurt the numbers at both schools. I wonder if the enrollment #s at THS and LHS are lower now than what they were 30-40 years ago?

Yes, many of the blue collar type jobs that were in T-Ville and Lexington back in the 60s, 70s and 80s that are now overseas probably hurt the numbers at both schools. I wonder if the enrollment #s at THS and LHS are lower now than what they were 30-40 years ago?
In 1970, THS had over 1,000 students. Now, about 640. There were similar numbers in the eighties as the seventies. The 1983 freezing of the city school district lines changed everything. Charter schools, white flight, realtors pushing county schools all had an effect.

Reactions: fitguync30
In 1970, THS had over 1,000 students. Now, about 640. There were similar numbers in the eighties as the seventies. The 1983 freezing of the city school district lines changed everything. Charter schools, white flight, realtors pushing county schools all had an effect.
Yes, it is also interesting Davidson Co. has so many high schools. It is not a small county but is hardly a Guilford, Wake or Forsyth Co. Maybe some of those schools should consolidate into larger ones? Though, I know Oak Grove opened not all that long ago and pulled away a lot of students from N. Davidson. The Knights got to where they were a 4A power with some hard core community support. They are still pretty good but not doing as well in 3A as they did in 4A.

Yes, it is also interesting Davidson Co. has so many high schools. It is not a small county but is hardly a Guilford, Wake or Forsyth Co. Maybe some of those schools should consolidate into larger ones? Though, I know Oak Grove opened not all that long ago and pulled away a lot of students from N. Davidson. The Knights got to where they were a 4A power with some hard core community support. They are still pretty good but not doing as well in 3A as they did in 4A.
Three school systems in one county. Not very common.

Reactions: Mhsneer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT