ADVERTISEMENT

The Mighty Red Raiders at Pisgah.

If there are any old timers out there with good memories, please help me out. In 1979, SP played Tuscola in the playoffs at Tuscola but this was not the same stadium we played in then. We were at the game but I remember the area being flat, maybe near a river or creek and along a main road. Where was that, maybe Pisgah's field? I know this is right because we drove to Waynesville that week and had to drive to Ahoskie the next week. Covered both ends of the state in that championship year. And to top it off, we were married a week before, the same weekend as the 1st round game with Statesville in Belmont. 1979 was a great year!

Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good. I agree, I thought Pisgah was the better team. South Point had several play calls that made absolutely no sense. And as usual the pass defense couldn’t cover a double bed with a king size sheet. As several on here have already said, Pisgah’s coaches are responsible for that loss, not the players. Some great Pisgah fans sit behind us on the visitors side. They were sick at the end and who could blame them.

SP has to now get ready for round 2 of The Big South.

How bout the Midgets, as haters like to call them, knocking off a 1 seed. GO BIG RED
Congrats on the win.I know yall have to be thrilled to be back in 3A.

Hate that I missed the game in person but had the radio and Calvin's twitter feed. If I am not mistaken there was not a punt or turnover in the game. Amazing that a game could end up at that score with both teams scoring virtually every time they had the ball but on long time consuming drives. Congrats to the Bears on a great season. They showed a lot last night in battling to the end.

If there are any old timers out there with good memories, please help me out. In 1979, SP played Tuscola in the playoffs at Tuscola but this was not the same stadium we played in then. We were at the game but I remember the area being flat, maybe near a river or creek and along a main road. Where was that, maybe Pisgah's field? I know this is right because we drove to Waynesville that week and had to drive to Ahoskie the next week. Covered both ends of the state in that championship year. And to top it off, we were married a week before, the same weekend as the 1st round game with Statesville in Belmont. 1979 was a great year!
The Tuscola stadium has always been there.But like Pisgah we both changed the home side.and put in concreate bleachers on the home side.,I believe that year you played Pisgah and then Tuscola the next week,won both.Pisgah is on the river.

I was at that game in the same stadium. Jeff "Ike" Williams could pitch the ball 15 yards like a bullet. One of the best teams to ever play in that stadium.

In 1979 we played Statesville, Tuscola, Hibriten then Ahoskie. redraider73, I was there also. Seemed like a different field. We did not play Pisgah at all that year.

The Tuscola stadium has always been there.But like Pisgah we both changed the home side.and put in concreate bleachers on the home side.,I believe that year you played Pisgah and then Tuscola the next week,won both.Pisgah is on the river.
In 1979 we played Statesville at home, then Tuscola on the road, then Hibriten on the road, then at Ahoskie for the state championship. 100% sure of that. But I'm pretty sure I had not been in that stadium until last night.

In 1979 we played Statesville, Tuscola, Hibriten then Ahoskie. redraider73, I was there also. Seemed like a different field. We did not play Pisgah at all that year.
That's right. For some reason we must have played Tuscola on another field that night. Maybe Pisgah's field since they apparently like to swap fields around up here in the mountains. Maybe trying to confuse us flat landers?

Reactions: raider1959
I was at that game in the same stadium. Jeff "Ike" Williams could pitch the ball 15 yards like a bullet. One of the best teams to ever play in that stadium.
Maybe you are right and I did not make that game since it was my honeymoon that week. Must have had my mind on other things, ha ha. I know the game was the day after Thanksgiving because we cut our honeymoon short to come home for Thanksgiving. I sure thought we went to that Tuscola game though.

Maybe you are right and I did not make that game since it was my honeymoon that week. Must have had my mind on other things, ha ha. I know the game was the day after Thanksgiving because we cut our honeymoon short to come home for Thanksgiving. I sure thought we went to that Tuscola game though.
Well that stadium barely resembled this one at that time but it has always been in the same place since WTHS began playing football. SO it is easy to think it wasnt the same place?

Same field, albeit artificial. The old grass field had a huge crown and actually ran up hill towards one EZ. What changed was- 1) the old HS then 9th grade building burned in 1993 and was replaced so some open space between the back of the visitor side and the gym is missing. 2) the home side wooden bleachers from the 70's was replaced by the current pre-cast concrete structure built in 1984 (Pisgah has similar, built the same year.) 3) The current visitor's side was the home side from 1936 until 1973. Where the metal bleachers are on the Hazelwood end was originally concrete just like the main visiting stands. It collapsed 20-25 years ago and the metal bleachers were built on the same footprint. I'd load a photo from the '80 yearbook but don't seem to have much luck with that on here. The Super Raider website actually has a copy of the game program from that '79 playoff game in its archives.

Reactions: Ouduckfan
Worst part of the night we couldn't hear the half n half ticket number being called out.

Worst part of the night we couldn't hear the half n half ticket number being called out.
That’s unfortunate. I heard a Pisgah fan won it. The speakers at Tuscola arent great to start with, but I talked with our sound guy after the SG game, and he said one of there speakers was blown, and if you turned the volume up too high, the other speakers would distort. The winner got a little over $970.

Tough loss for the Bears, but Congrats to the Red Raiders! Both teams played great..no turnovers, no punts, very few penalties, etc. Sad our season is over, but the future is really bright! With returning starters, and the players that we added or will add from the JV team, we should be tough the next few years. Go Bears!

As many have said on here, that was a terrible last 25 seconds of coaching and clock management, with a timeout left. I bragged on their coaching earlier in the week, I think I will officially retract that statement. Pisgah seemed to be the better team IMO, hard to believe they played for a tie.
They weren’t ready for the moment…

• Haha
Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Same field, albeit artificial. The old grass field had a huge crown and actually ran up hill towards one EZ. What changed was- 1) the old HS then 9th grade building burned in 1993 and was replaced so some open space between the back of the visitor side and the gym is missing. 2) the home side wooden bleachers from the 70's was replaced by the current pre-cast concrete structure built in 1984 (Pisgah has similar, built the same year.) 3) The current visitor's side was the home side from 1936 until 1973. Where the metal bleachers are on the Hazelwood end was originally concrete just like the main visiting stands. It collapsed 20-25 years ago and the metal bleachers were built on the same footprint. I'd load a photo from the '80 yearbook but don't seem to have much luck with that on here. The Super Raider website actually has a copy of the game program from that '79 playoff game in its archives.
Thank you for the info. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then.

That was a great game to watch no matter which side you sat on. Neither defense could really stop the other all night long. Pisgah made one stop early in the second half and SP held Pisgah to a field goal one time in the first half. Two equal teams in my book. The difference in the game was probably the Pisgah coaching in the last minute of the game. For the life of me I do not understand that call to settle for a long field goal attempt to tie instead of trying to win it. SP had already shown that they had no answer for that Pisgah offense. A real head scratcher for sure. That loss is on the coaches, not the poor kid that missed the field goal.
Pretty much have to agree with everything said here! I don't understand to save my life what was going on there either. The man that is our HC is really an amazing Coach and I have to feel like maybe there was a breakdown somewhere that we aren't aware of. I could see that being the call to make if it were for the win against a team that was shutting us down but that didn't seem like the case to me. Timeouts and all....very puzzling for sure!! I like SP to win this next week and then it looks like maybe all roads lead to Crest? Does that sound about right SP and PHS men??? Either way I feel good that we will meet again a year from now and get after it one more time Good Lord willing.

Reactions: seadog28

Tough loss for the Bears, but Congrats to the Red Raiders! Both teams played great..no turnovers, no punts, very few penalties, etc. Sad our season is over, but the future is really bright! With returning starters, and the players that we added or will add from the JV team, we should be tough the next few years. Go Bears!
I like PHS to win a ship again within the next 3 years and next year may be as good as any to do so!

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Thank you for the info. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then.
73, remember the Hibriten game. No snow but down in the lmid 20s by game time. Band had to stop playing by halftime between frozen fingers and frozen instruments. No hot chocolate by halftime either.

Hibriten game 79 colder than the Snow Bowl in 03.
73, remember the Hibriten game. No snow but down in the lmid 20s by game time. Band had to stop playing by halftime between frozen fingers and frozen instruments. No hot chocolate by halftime either.
Hibriten 79 and Hibriten 2016 colder than the Snow Bowl in Asheville 03.

• Wow
Reactions: sasha_nc
I noticed the crowd on Pisgah's side Friday was much less than expected. Home side was about 40% full at best. I know this is a trend with a large majority of high schools as support has dwindled, especially in the past 5-10 years for many communities. I was just surprised to see so many seats empty for a 2nd round game. It was not that cold for a mountain game.

I noticed the crowd on Pisgah's side Friday was much less than expected. Home side was about 40% full at best. I know this is a trend with a large majority of high schools as support has dwindled, especially in the past 5-10 years for many communities. I was just surprised to see so many seats empty for a 2nd round game. It was not that cold for a mountain game.
Some college basketball games were Friday night which could have impacted attendance.

I also think when your community is used to winning it’s not as exciting for everyone. If you lose for a while then start winning then it seems to be a little different. The crowd didn’t fulfill the billing of the game but the game itself was very enjoyable and fun to watch. I love smash mouth, we are gonna run here and you ain’t gonna stop it kinda football

I remember that game well. Still, by far, the coldest football game I have ever been to. The Asheville snow bowl and the West Rowan stink bowl years later were warm by comparison. There were so many SP fans on the visitor side that we actually moved over and took over a home side section too.

The SP crowd was way down too compared to previous playoff road trips. It's a shame.

Love me some mountain football! You guys rock!
They know they were overrated dog… Be honest though… As you scanned the crowd there was no pearly whites showing.. Their whole family tree is a totem pole. It’s no secret 🤡

• Haha
Reactions: seadog28

“hard times” has hit that community rather recently. i imagine a number of people don’t have a lot of disposable income right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT