ADVERTISEMENT

The Area IV playoffs

July 14-20 Area IV semifinals (best-of-7)
No. 1 West: Cherryville vs. No. 2 East: Gaston Braves
Game 1 – July 14 at C (GB 4-0)
Game 2 – July 15 at GB (GB 3-2)
Game 3 – July 16 at C
Game 4 – July 17 at GB (South Point)
Game 5 (if necessary) – July 18 at C
Game 6 (if necessary) – July 19 at GB (South Point)
Game 7 (if necessary) – July 20 at C

No. 1 East: Queen City vs. No. 2 West: Rutherford-No. 6 West: Burke winner
Game 1 – July 14 at QC (QC 2-1)
Game 2 – July 15 at R (suspended with 2-2 score bottom 1st)
Game 2 – July 16 at QC (Tuckaseegee Dreams Park, Charlotte, completion of suspended game at 5 p.m.)
Game 3 – July 16 at QC (Tuckaseegee Dreams Park, Charlotte, after suspended game is completed)
Game 4 – July 17 at R (McNair Field, Forest City)
Game 5 (if necessary) – July 18 at QC (TBD)
Game 6 (if necessary) – July 19 at R (McNair Field, Forest City
Game 7 (if necessary) – July 20 at QC (TBD)*

July 21-23 Area IV final (TBA)

July 26-30 N.C. State tournament (at Campbell)

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Don, I went over to Cherryville and watched this game. the score was 1-1, then Cherryville scored on a bad pickoff attempt at third base. The Gaston pitcher had the runner on third easily but he threw it a little wide and it got by the third baseman, this was late in the game.
Most of the game was pitched by S. Carpenter for the G. Braves who only gave up one run. Strangely enough, Carpenter is out of none other than Lincolnton High school. He is only one of two players I can recall having played legion ball in the Belmont-Mt. Holly area, but it was good to see LHS represented on both teams.

Don, I went over to Cherryville and watched this game. the score was 1-1, then Cherryville scored on a bad pickoff attempt at third base. The Gaston pitcher had the runner on third easily but he threw it a little wide and it got by the third baseman, this was late in the game.
Most of the game was pitched by S. Carpenter for the G. Braves who only gave up one run. Strangely enough, Carpenter is out of none other than Lincolnton High school. He is only one of two players I can recall having played legion ball in the Belmont-Mt. Holly area, but it was good to see LHS represented on both teams.
Going to be a good team out for sure. Still a long way to go!

Game 3 – July 16 at C (C 3-2)
Game 4 – July 17 at GB (South Point)
Game 5 – July 18 at C
Game 6 (if necessary) – July 19 at GB (South Point)

No. 1 East: Queen City vs. No. 2 West: Rutherford
Game 2 – July 16 at R (RC 10-5)
Game 3 – July 16 at R (RC 13-11)
Game 4 – July 17 at R (McNair Field)
Game 5 – July 18 at QC (TBD)
Game 6 (if necessary) – July 19 at R (McNair Field, Forest City
Game 7 (if necessary) – July 20 at QC (TBD)

Game 4 – July 17 at GB (C 11-8)
Game 5 – July 18 at C
Game 6 – July 19 at GB (South Point)

Game 4 – July 17 at R (postponed)
Game 5 – July 18 at QC (Goodman Park, Matthews)
Game 6 – July 19 at QC (TBD)
Game 7 (if necessary) – July 20 at QC (TBD)

Don, if you’re on Preps, an update for you from South Point High School. In the bottom of the fifth, Gaston Braves 5 and Cherryville 5. Big, loud crowd .
The Cherryville offense finally showed up in this one to out slug Gaston and win 11-8. It was obviously a big win for Post 100 to tie the series up and change the momentum.

With the pitch count rules coaches really have to think ahead and make decisions and moves in games based on pitch count and the availability of pitchers in upcoming games....especially in a best 4 of 7 series. It makes it very interesting, especially for a numbers nerd like myself.

Coach Reynolds who pulled his #1 starter in game 1 after 80 pitches now has him available to pitch game 5 while the Gaston Braves game 1 starter is not available until game 6 after throwing more than 80 pitches in game 1. Coach Reynolds made another strategic pitching decision tonight. With a 11-5 lead going into the bottom of the 7th he pulled the pitcher who had pitched very well the last 3 innings to be able to have him available for a possible game 7. It almost back fired as the never say die Gaston Braves scored 3 runs and had the bases loaded before Cherryville got the final out.

Cherryville scores 2 in the bottom of the 8th inning to defeat the Gaston Braves 3-2 and take a 3-2 lead in the series. Game 6 Tuesday night at South Point HS at 7pm on WLON.

Game 4 – July 17 at GB (C 11-8)
Game 5 – July 18 at C (C 3-2 in 8)
Game 6 – July 19 at GB (South Point)

Game 4 – July 17 at R (suspended with QC leading 1-0 top 1st)
Game 4 – July 18 at QC (QC 5-2)
Games 5 & 6 (if necessary) – July 19 at RC (East Rutherford HS, 5 p.m.)
Game 7 – July 20 at QC (TBD)

Don, I lost track of everything about tonight's game with Cherryville versus Gaston Braves at South Point High in Belmont. I'd heard they were in a rain delay somewhere in the second inning with the Braves up 3-0...Post 100 has a twitter page. I just saw where it said tonight's game had been postponed until tomorrow night and would resume back at Belmont (same location) at 7PM. Should game seven be needed it will be back at Fraley Field in Cherryville, Thursday night at 7PM.

Don, I lost track of everything about tonight's game with Cherryville versus Gaston Braves at South Point High in Belmont. I'd heard they were in a rain delay somewhere in the second inning with the Braves up 3-0...Post 100 has a twitter page. I just saw where it said tonight's game had been postponed until tomorrow night and would resume back at Belmont (same location) at 7PM. Should game seven be needed it will be back at Fraley Field in Cherryville, Thursday night at 7PM.
This is accurate! Thanks

It has been decided that the Area IV championship game will be played Friday in Cherryville at 7:00pm between Cherryville and the Queen City/Rutherford County winner.

It is my understanding that if tonight's Queen City/Rutherford County game cannot be completed due to weather then that game would be resumed Friday at 5:00pm in Cherryville with the winner then playing Cherryville at 7:00pm for the championship.

It has been decided that the Area IV championship game will be played Friday in Cherryville at 7:00pm between Cherryville and the Queen City/Rutherford County winner.

It is my understanding that if tonight's Queen City/Rutherford County game cannot be completed due to weather then that game would be resumed Friday at 5:00pm in Cherryville with the winner then playing Cherryville at 7:00pm for the championship.
Thanks Linkman for the update!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT