ADVERTISEMENT

Swain Co. vs East Wilkes

We have won in white and red all year, haha.
Not doing a prediction on a winner, it should be a great ball game either way. Winner takes it by 6pts or less.

Reactions: EWfootball05
Are we seriously talking about uniforms. These brutish guys are not cheerleaders they are football players..now more junk talk please ...lol.

Hey, from what I understand the team voted to wear the gray unis for the Murphy game. I would have lost that vote, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to look good while you're smashing mouths. :)

Seen both teams play. East Wilkes will pound the rock and they have found that consistency. They have a big fullback #7 that runs downhill very well and protects the football. Swain has somewhat of an identical identity like everyone knows, running the football. The difference IMO, Swain coaching staff will figure out the tendencies of this EW offense. If you stop that FB for EW it will be extremely tough for them to have consistency on offense. Also, Swain has some versatility out wide on offense with Cody and the coaching staff will take advantage. EW also has a great staff who has a team of believers. This is a smash mouth football game with some play action/pass plays/trick plays that are eminent. Good luck to both teams and I think it's a touchdown game either way.

Seen both teams play. East Wilkes will pound the rock and they have found that consistency. They have a big fullback #7 that runs downhill very well and protects the football. Swain has somewhat of an identical identity like everyone knows, running the football. The difference IMO, Swain coaching staff will figure out the tendencies of this EW offense. If you stop that FB for EW it will be extremely tough for them to have consistency on offense. Also, Swain has some versatility out wide on offense with Cody and the coaching staff will take advantage. EW also has a great staff who has a team of believers. This is a smash mouth football game with some play action/pass plays/trick plays that are eminent. Good luck to both teams and I think it's a touchdown game either way.
excellent assessment Foothill. If you don't mind me asking, which Swain game did you see?

With those who have had the opportunity to see both teams play. What do yall expect? High scoring game? Low Scoring? Defensive Game? Offensive shootout? Etc...

Havent saw Swain play. However East has given up 28 pts as a season high once. East has the ability to sustain long drives that eat up a lot of clock. So, if they do not turn the ball over and give up short field conditions. Then it should be a game with both teams in the 21-30 pt range.

Reactions: EWCards#1
EW has a passing game that has been very efficient. When the linebackers start guessing and assuming the play action pass starts to be an element. This maybe the best chess game in the bracket. EW imulates what the SMC has had a monopoly on. You mountain boys have a safe trip over tomorrow night.

Pulling for east with my heart, but my head says Swain by 14. Hope I'm wrong but east has a tendency to put the ball on the ground.
Go Cardinals

Unless East Wilkes has changed since I saw them last then you are very wrong. And i havent missed a game this year. Picks and fumbles have been super minimal for the Cards this year. Minus 2 horrible turnover plagued games vs N.Stokes & Ashe county. East has been great at securing the ball especially vs the amount of time and possessions as they win the time of possession vs every team that they play. So if the only games you've saw are Vs Ashe or N.Stokes then youre right. But ask all other teams how many chances have they had due to East fumbling or getting intercepted..

Ok guys last newspaper article for the game. Barring any turnovers by both teams the winner could be decided by whoever wins the time of possession. Its evident both teams can and will score. Just depends on who controls the clock and maybe even whoever has ball last. The coin toss may be ever so important tonight. We could sit here all day and give ways to win the game for both teams. Its all up in the air in my opinion. Good luck to both teams. Hope to see an awesome, clean, and healthy ball game. For you Swain folks, hope you have a safe trip to and from.

http://elkintribune.com/sports/loca...wilkes-looks-for-revenge-against-familiar-foe

Simmons has swain and rville as top three toughest schedule in 1a/1aa. That's gotta help the little Imps. Side note, WSP didn't play a tough schedule like some said I think there s was in the 40s.

The MVAC at the top this year was very good. Both Swain and Robbinsville would have definitely had competition each week with Wilkes Central, East Wilkes, Starmount, and Ashe. Believe it or not theres no cake walk in 1a against either of those 4 teams. However, all it takes is 1 subpar week now and the score gets ugly ie; Starmount vs Swain. I doubt many people saw that type of beatdown coming for the Rams from Starmount. Lets go Cards. You know whats at stake from here on out. Forget the success youve had so far. Each week is another chance to keep the train rolling and derail whatever else is on the track. Save travels to all the Swain faithful.

Speed is the thing that scares me the most. Our line is not the normal East Wilkes line. We do not have a lot of size, but the kids really worked hard and they have drastically increased their strength over Cardinal teams of the past. That is the biggest difference, the whole team started taking "workouts" seriously, instead of just a handful.

East played a heck of a defensive game tonight. Swain did as well. Just seemed that East got the big plays and sustained drives exactly when they needed them.

I'll 2nd the above. Perhaps best defensive game East has played to date from start to finish. You could tell as the game progressed EW really started to control the LoS.

Offensively EW did what they have done all year. Control the clock and make big plays when needed.

I believe EW 2nd touchdown came on a 4th and 10+. Gutsy call, but also shows how much the coaching staff trust the players to make the plays.

What a year!!! Who at the beginning of the year would have said East Wilkes would beat Starmount, much less Swain County in the same year? I so hope all the kids in the program continue to work and work hard. That is the thing that struck me about Swain last night, their strength. Excellent coaching staff in control of the sideline all night long. It is easy to see why they have set the standard for so long. SMC is the best 1A conference in the state, hands down.

My take on the game recap.
Swain wins the toss and defers to the second half. Their D comes out and made quick work of the Cardinal offense. They partially blocked the punt and took over around the Cardinal 40. Nothing fancy on that drive, just smash mouth football and a Swain touchdown. On a separate note, I have never seen the cheerleaders follow a team up and down the sideline and pull for their team like Swain did. Sorry I had to throw that in, but they were impressive.

Uncle Moe clearly had maroon colors on. Not so fast, East answers with a great touchdown drive that proved to the Cardinals that they deserved to be on the same field. (Not sure the players ever doubted that, but as a fan of high school football, I did.) Tie game.

East then sacks the QB for a safety. Then they tack on a touchdown pass that was tipped twice before being caught. Missed extra point made it 15 - 7 at the half.

Swain came out in the 3rd quarter with an incredible drive. They took over 6 minutes off the clock, but the Cards stopped them on 4th and 3 inside the 20. East moved the ball but had to punt. Outside of the one blocked punt the punting team had a good night. The punter had nice distance and hang time tonight.

With about 8 minutes to go in the 4th Swain put their last drive together. Once again, smash mouth football, 3 or 4 yards at a time. The Cards D made another great stop on 4th and short to turn Swain away around the 20 or 25. East got the ball back with around 3 or 4 minutes left and put a drive together. The big play on the drive came as East converted a 3rd and 18ish. Nance scored the final touchdown to give East the win with 50 seconds left.

The last East drive was helped by a Swain personal foul as a few players lost their cool. Then both teams had offsetting personal foul calls.

It really was a great game. I hope that East has finally earned some respect, but I do believe there is "more meat on the bone" for this team.

Ditto on the recap, & good summary. As a Devil fan, i am still scratching my head thinkin DANG! what if, what if... I felt like the Devils had a slight advantage in controlling the LOS. Moved the ball decently... half the time. Held the line and got some good stops on D, but it all came down to the 5 or 6 fourth down plays. Swain had two fourth down and short opportunities in the red zone & failed to convert. East Wilkes had (at least) 3 fourth and LONG situations & with not much to lose, sent the quarterback scurrying around until he could launch one way downfield. Amazingly, they converted all but one of these hail-marys.

LUCK is when preparedness meets opportunity, so when I say East was lucky to convert all of these, it is with all due respect to the scrambling skill of the QB, good protection from the line, & ability of the receivers to exploit the defense and make amazing catches. (but really now, the ball is swatted, bounces off of two other players then into the hands of a player wearing all red... there is some luck involved there).

Penalties. Overall, it was a well called game. Historically, Swain has always been a well disciplined team, maybe I am just imagining things, but I am fairly confident that the Devils have degraded in this area over the last several years. I did see a missed holding penalty on one of the EW's 4th and longs and I felt that the first quarter personal foul (late hit) called on Jordan Cody on the EW sideline was bogus. Other than that I have no complaints about the officiating whatsoever, Swain brought most of the flags down on themselves & that took a lot of steam out of them. I think Swain should have had Cody punt the ball instead of kicking after the safety.

East Wilkes looked pretty sharp, they have a solid defense, and a fairly good arsenal of weapons on offense, and they have the home-field mojo going on as long as they are in it. How will they fare is beyond me... the playoffs are like opening a stocking at Christmas, you just never can be sure of what your gonna get. Mitchell will bring a potent O, but I think east will be able to score on them as well.

Congrats to the Cardinals of East Wilkes for the great game and good luck for the remainder of the playoffs!

Reactions: Realfreedom
If I remember correctly on the tipped touchdown pass, East got away with a holding in the backfield. I could have my plays mixed up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT