ADVERTISEMENT

Swain Co. vs East Wilkes

Swain is that one team that everybody wants to beat, and that's a tribute to the kind of football program that the Maroondevils have built, since first arriving on the 1A scene back in 1985...

East Wilkes has had quite simply a memorable and historical season that their team, coaches and especially the fans should be very proud of...That season can become even greater with a victory over a proud program like Swain...

The Maroondevils have one of the better coaching staffs in all of football, and they have modern technology that makes the job of preparing for their competition a little easier than most teams, and this came from former Coach Patillio several years ago when he told me that they evaluated former Rosman QB Duran Scruggs via their computer system to try and learn some of his tendencies....They will do that with the Cardinals offense as well, and they will have their defense set to take away the things that the Cardinals do best....

The Cardinals have the home field advantage, and they have had a tremendous season, but I will tell you now that you will not find a more prepared opponent than you will face this coming friday....

In the past when Swain had the talent and skill to go with this great game preparation, they've either won or played for state titles...

This Swain team doesn't have the skill guys that they customarily have had in the past, but they do play defense, and they still have big RBs who run the ball hard...Don't really know if Swain has the ability to throw the ball or not with all the recent injuries that the Maroondevils have had to deal with late in the season, but Jordan Cody is a threat to take it the distance on any play, but again, I don't know how healthy he is either as he was banged-up some late in the season as well...

Haven't seen the Cardinals play this year, but they seem to be a team very similar to Swain County, which should make for a great 2nd round matchup....

As a fan of the SMC, I wish the Maroondevils good luck this coming friday in their matchup with the top seed in the west...

May the best team win!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Wow. What an amazing assessment. Kind of reminds me of the Rocky movie with the Russian " Drago". They had all the computer imagery which was way ahead of its time back in the 80's. However, in the end it was Rocky's never say die attitude that propelled him to climb the Russian Mountain of a man in Drago and get the victory. Not saying this will happen for my Cardinals, but anything is possible.

Wow. What an amazing assessment. Kind of reminds me of the Rocky movie with the Russian " Drago". They had all the computer imagery which was way ahead of its time back in the 80's. However, in the end it was Rocky's never say die attitude that propelled him to climb the Russian Mountain of a man in Drago and get the victory. Not saying this will happen for my Cardinals, but anything is possible.

"I must break you", says Drago...."Go for it", says Stallone(Rocky)....Yeah, one of the better lines for sure!

Never thought I would get Rocky reference for one of my post on NCPreps.com....I like it...lol!

I'm not saying it isn't possible but with the style of offense and the athletes EW has, I find it hard to be able to contain all 3 backs. I have noticed EW has came prepared for their 3 tough conference games in a row and turned out not to be prepared. After halftime they were a totally different defense. If this is the case this Friday, we can only hope were not down in a hole that we can't climb out of.

Swain will be very physical. They do mix in the pass well but expect smash mouth football. I agree about Cody. He had a great game against Starmount.

Good luck to both squads!!

Reactions: olddog77
I really expect nothing less from them. I remember the year east went up to Swain when they had Tisho at WR..i think that was his name. That team know the s**t out of East. I mean super physical to the point of almost unbelievable for 1a ball. East defintely has its work cut out for them. The absolute toughest 9 seed that anyone in 1a would wanna face. And i being real look as East as the underdog.

Deanna is Swain as atheletic as Wilkes Central across the board. I know they are more physical.

Swain has some athletes. Jordan Cody plays all over the field. If Beaner plays, he is one as well,

No disrespect, but Swain don't beat teams because of that. They beat you with coaching, discipline, tradition, and physical play. It's mountain football,

As former Swain coach Rod White said, "You're Mountain!"

Reactions: FoothillThrill
True Deanna. There definitely seems to be a marked difference in that SMC style of play. I've almost never saw a team from that area not be physically dominant over most teams in 1a. This East team is a lot different from teams past. They have a great coaching staff who has them believing in themselves. It will be an uphill battle. I like East chances especially if the game stays within striking distance in the 2nd half.

"I must break you", says Drago...."Go for it", says Stallone(Rocky)....Yeah, one of the better lines for sure!

Never thought I would get Rocky reference for one of my post on NCPreps.com....I like it...lol!

Swain does bring the "Rocky" aspect of the physical game too... they don't give up. Just ask West Montgomery, who out-athleted the Devils by a long way in both '11 and '13, yet lost in '11 after leading 28-0 and came within one play of losing in '13. Sometimes speed wins, but there's a lot more to football than speed, and a typical Swain team makes up for the lack of athleticism by bringing the other aspects of the game in spades. Friday night's game should be a classic.

Last edited:
Interesting you bring up the "Rocky"

Swain does bring the "Rocky" aspect of the physical game too... they don't give up. Just ask West Montgomery, who out-athleted the Devils by a long way in both '11 and '13, yet lost in '11 after leading 28-0 and came within one play of losing in '13. Sometimes speed wins, but there's a lot more to football than speed, and a typical Swain team makes up for the lack of athleticism by bringing the other aspects of the game in spades. Friday night's game should be a classic.
I remember the '13 game and honestly Swain would have matched up against James Keenan better than WM did. Y'all had size while we had speed. Speed was no good against that JK RB! He was a man against boys! And I honestly think our guys back then gave up at halftime. This team now will not!

East Wilkes has one speedy back in Couch, one that loves to make moves and cuts in Nance and the ability to ram it down your throat with the big FB Camon Bryan. Sounds like this game maybe won on defense. If that's the case, I still feel confident about our chances.

X-factor in my book will be the EW O line. It will take a very good front seven to change my opinion of this group. First 10 games over 300 yards on the ground.... I think this game will be won or lost on the los.
Cards not taking anything away from those backs, they are hard nose runners. But when the big boys up front get moving those backs shine like stars. And the D is pretty good too, I like our chances in this one too.

Last edited:
Swain makes very good adjustments at halftime as they shutout both Rosman and Murphy after the half....

Wasn't able to do that against the Black Knights in the final game of the regular season for some reason, but they are generally very good at making in-game adjustments, especially after the halftime....

Is the Beaner kid a go for friday night?

Should be great atmosphere in Ronda this friday!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Reactions: gal durnit
How many ironmen does swain have? EW has minimal players that go both ways which has been huge in the second half matched with good adjustments.

X-factor in my book will be the EW O line. It will take a very good front seven to change my opinion of this group. First 10 games over 300 yards on the ground.... I think this game will be won or lost on the los.
Cards not taking anything away from those backs, they are hard nose runners. But when the big boys up front get moving those backs shine like stars. And the D is pretty good too, I like our chances in this one too.

Tigertown@Rick, thank you for your insight. I always enjoy your take. I know you will be pulling for your SMC brethren on Friday night. We will both be pulling for the Heels on Saturday.

Last edited:
Catamount, did you play with Luke and Justin during your time at East?

I do believe this game will be a hard fought matter. The game will be won at the line of scrimmage and who can limit or cause turnovers. Both teams want to pound away, but both teams can move the ball through the air. I am excited because for the first time in my 30 + years of watching East Wilkes football, we will be on the same field with Swain and actually belong on that field. I do not know if East will win, but for the first time ever, I do not know that they will lose.

Tigertown@Rick, thank you for your insight. I always enjoy your take. Honestly on offense Swain will only have to prepare for 5 running plays and the passing game. East just keeps it simple. I know you will be pulling for your SMC brethren on Friday night. We will both be pulling for the Heels on Saturday.

I did, have seen more of those guys this year than in awhile. This year has been good for the community near and far. I need to get better at picking screen names.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the state put a rule in a few years back requiring teams to wear white jerseys on the road. I know many teams such as Reidsville and Cumminga wore gold on the road but don't think that is the case anymore. I seem I remember an AD telling me that.

Yes. Teams must wear white tops on the road. Elkin had to pack the those all Gold uniforms up unless they wore them at home.

Catamount, did you play with Luke and Justin during your time at East?

I do believe this game will be a hard fought matter. The game will be won at the line of scrimmage and who can limit or cause turnovers. Both teams want to pound away, but both teams can move the ball through the air. I am excited because for the first time in my 30 + years of watching East Wilkes football, we will be on the same field with Swain and actually belong on that field. I do not know if East will win, but for the first time ever, I do not know that they will lose.

Tigertown@Rick, thank you for your insight. I always enjoy your take. Honestly on offense Swain will only have to prepare for 5 running plays and the passing game. East just keeps it simple. I know you will be pulling for your SMC brethren on Friday night. We will both be pulling for the Heels on Saturday.

Realfreedom, thanks for the props...I enjoy your reading your post as well....I will say that I'm rooting for Swain in this game, but I'm NOT rooting against your Cardinals if that makes sense....I fully support all western teams that make the championship game whether they are from the SMC or not...

I have noticed that you are a Tar Heel fan, and agree that it's been a great year for Football fans of both the Tar Heels and Panthers, and hope the memorable season continues for both ...Been a long hard pull for the Tar Heels as you already know, and hope they don't stumble in these last 2 games on the road....Would love to see a UNC/Clemson ACC Championship game with both teams having a combined 23-1 record....That would be great!

Good luck to your Cardinals on friday, and win or lose?....This year's Cardinal team has set the foundation for future teams to follow....Think that I read on here a while back that East Wilkes also had a very talented JV team...Could be wrong, but seems I remember reading that somewhere?...Nonetheless, this year's team has shown the younger kids in and around Ronda that success and respect will accompany teams that work hard to achieve their goals....

Good luck to the winner in the 3rd round!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Reactions: Realfreedom
I wish they'd wear maroon jerseys and gray pants at home. That's always been the best-looking combination to me. The all-white unis aren't bad, though. They have enough maroon on them in the big stripes to look good.

I remember after the SM game a few posters didn't care for the grey.

Are we seriously talking about uniforms. These brutish guys are not cheerleaders they are football players..now more junk talk please ...lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT