ADVERTISEMENT

Swain Co. vs East Wilkes

gal durnit

Sep 14, 2005
Know nothing about what the #1 seed brings to the table. Everyone knows what the Maroon Machine will bring. Thoughts, predictions, chatter?

From a fan perspective, key parts of the game will be how East plays in the 1st half and how Swain plays in the 2nd.

In the 3 big match ups East had (Starmount, Ashe, Wilkes Central), EW was out scored 56-28 in the 1st half and out scored their opponents 55-14 in the 2nd half. A combination of good coaching, having few players go both ways, and on field leadership I believe are responsible for that statistic.

Reactions: EWfootball05
Swain lives for these games. It looks like they brought it all together last night.

Swain by 2TD's

Played without several guys last night as well. Should all be back this week and I look for us to play well. Gonna be tough to knock off the #1 seed at their house though. Should be a good physical game it sounds like.

From a fan perspective, key parts of the game will be how East plays in the 1st half and how Swain plays in the 2nd.

In the 3 big match ups East had (Starmount, Ashe, Wilkes Central), EW was out scored 56-28 in the 1st half and out scored their opponents 55-14 in the 2nd half. A combination of good coaching, having few players go both ways, and on field leadership I believe are responsible for that statistic.

Just to add a little stat to those, EW D allowed their 1st TD in the 3rd quarter all season last night. They seem to be a different ball team after the half, especially in those 3 games against, Ashe, Central and Starmount. Should be a great game.

Played without several guys last night as well. Should all be back this week and I look for us to play well. Gonna be tough to knock off the #1 seed at their house though. Should be a good physical game it sounds like.

I thought y'all had several dismissed from the team? How many do you suit up? 85?

Swain fans the closest team you've seen is old school Robbinsville wing bone option.
Red Storm host Maroon Machine should be a slobber nocker. Program identity game for EW.

Im sure Swain will be the most complete team that EW has played. But lookin at their schedule, they arent invincible. I mean they do have a game earlier in the season where they were blanked. However Im sure Swain is typical Swain. And that is hardnosed, fundamental, and prepared for whoever is in front of them. I honestly would have been much happier for a rematch with Starmount. Lol, hopefully the players look at Swain as just another good team that they need to beat to get to the next round.

This East team has established an identity. They are the face of the program, surpassing the legendary '81 team. Though beating Swain would be amazing. We cant take away anything that the Cards have accomplished. Everyone said the Starmount game would determine whether East was real or not. They slayed that dragon. Now just let East play the game and not let anymore games be "The Game" that determines their realness. They have already surpassed what others thought couldnt be accomplished. Beating Swain would be more icing on the cake. But East may just have their eyes on the bigger goal, 3 weeks beyond the Swain game. Lets go Cards. Anything is possible.

Every game is "the game" here on out. Keep winning, keep getting respect. Every Friday night there are no more "just another team" games in the bracket. It's everyone's tradition vs. our guy's will to win.

They may not have 85 but after bringing up all the freshmen they will have 60 standing on the sideline and still complain about an injury or two. Swain came down last year and took a whooping from Starmount. This aint Bryson City. EW 35 Swain 21

Seems like the Devils were dishing out a whoopin last night sbbbfan and they were at about 50 percent lol. I think they will probably load the bus and make a trip down there Friday and just give it a go. Sounds like it will be a great matchup. The number 1 seed should be the heavy favorite.

If #28 plays it improves chances for sure. Are #4 and #44 still out?

28 will be there. 4 and 44 are unfortunately out for the season. If they were playing, I would be very confident.

Gonna come down to who can make plays and limit mistakes. Gotta play perfect to beat the top seed at home.

Reactions: mbdfan
Seems like the Devils were dishing out a whoopin last night sbbbfan and they were at about 50 percent lol. I think they will probably load the bus and make a trip down there Friday and just give it a go. Sounds like it will be a great matchup. The number 1 seed should be the heavy favorite.
You beat a Starmount team that is definitely a lot weaker than they were last year. Only at 50%. Starting the excuses early I see just in case you need them.

Reactions: w.pack
Not at all. You didn't hear us last year saying what you are when Starmount wore us out the year after we spanked them. We don't need any excuses. The better team will win Friday. Plain and simple. It is a fact though that you will see a back up QB, and a backup and 3rd string backfield. They are very good as well but young. They are excited about the challenge. Don't try to spin stuff or make bulletin board material. Still sore about the machine knocking your bears out last year?

Reactions: mbdfan
Not at all. You didn't hear us last year saying what you are when Starmount wore us out the year after we spanked them. We don't need any excuses. The better team will win Friday. Plain and simple. It is a fact though that you will see a back up QB, and a backup and 3rd string backfield. They are very good as well but young. They are excited about the challenge. Don't try to spin stuff or make bulletin board material. Still sore about the machine knocking your bears out last year?
Sore, not at all. You beat a team that was riddled with injuries late in the season and it still took you over 3 1/2 qrtrs to score. Good luck to your team Friday night. Hope those injuries dont affect your team. This is the best team E Wilkes has had in a long time. They have all the weapons needed for the victory. EW 35 Swain 21

Reactions: gal durnit
What has been the deepest E Wilkes has ever gone in the playoffs? Not trying to throw anything negative, just wondering? I watched them beat Albemarle a few years ago in a game I discussed with one of your fans a month or so ago. I'll be pulling for you guys, well until, you know...

I'm not sure on the total history but in the last SEVERAL years the furthest I can remember is the 3rd round. Beat Hayesville and North Stokes before falling to North Duplin in 2007.

Swain wont make any excuses and neither will their fans. They will line up and play smash mouth football. Whatever the outcome, win or lose, they wont be making excuses.

That Swain will do. This East Wilkes team is nothing like the team Swain dropped 60 plus on in route to the State Championship loss to SW Onslow in 2012 however I agree this Swain team will be the most physical team East Wilkes have faced all season. I made a comment in another thread recently just to pick on the SMC posters stating "you don't have to grow up with mountain goats to know how to hit" LOL!!! I still believe that to be true but you do "hit" and the SMC teams as always deserve credit because they do bring it playing hard hitting fundamental football.

If at all possible I will be at this game in Ronda Friday. Don't know much about Swain this season but I assume they still run that Bill Yoeman's (U of Houston) spilt back veer. East Wilkes also a veer team running some flexbone and direct snap triple option as I have seen them play once this season. This game should be a real "dog fight" and to an old fart and "veer" fan like me nothing pleases my soul like two teams giving their all and leaving everything they can give on the battle field!!! The few times I have seen Swain play over the years they have done that. Will East Wilkes do that??? I hope so for the sake of a great game this Friday night.

Why am I a troll? Because I speak the truth I am called a troll? This game won't be close. If you think it will then you are the troll!

You're a troll. No, EW does not have the strongest schedule, but pretenders? Those kids aren't pretending to do anything. They're winning. "Winners should be commended," correct?! So, commend both Swain and EW, and go find a different thread to post on...

Reactions: 4helms
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT