ADVERTISEMENT

Stanly County Football

Dogs9

Jul 19, 2010
Can anybody ever remember when all four schools in Stanly County will all have new football coaches when the 2015 football season begins? I don't know if it has ever happened before. Is it just a coincidence or is it because of the school administration and school board?

It might be just a coincidence. None of these guys were at their school very long. I think Jackson might have been there a total of 5 years and Coach Fleming for 3 or 4 years. Albemarle has become a rotating door situation of recent. West Stanly has about little to no commitment in football. Coach Fleming was probably near the 30 year mark for service so that might have played into the equation. Coach Jackson decided to cash in from lowly North Stanly and go to greener pastures I guess.

It might be just a coincidence. None of these guys were at their school very long. I think Jackson might have been there a total of 5 years and Coach Fleming for 3 or 4 years. Albemarle has become a rotating door situation of recent. West Stanly has about little to no commitment in football. Coach Fleming was probably near the 30 year mark for service so that might have played into the equation. Coach Jackson decided to cash in from lowly North Stanly and go to greener pastures I guess.
I had 30 years and after 6 straight years (most with Dems in control) and no raise, it made no sense to put off drawing retirement. As far as the schools, Stanly County is a great place to work. SSHS was/is shrinking. Something has to be done...maybe redrawing a few lines. Albemarle? They have had four good coaches...all who left for their own reasons. NS? Young, successful turnaround...why not flash your skills in 3A ball. West? MY wife works there. Maybe one missed hire a few years back, but they had things turning around. They were close in a lot of games last year.

Big picture...the county "stole" 20.5% of the coaching supplements. Do that for three years and it is a sizable amount. This was short sighted. With that said, I doubt it had any effect on any of the moves. I think the limits of small staffs affected most. Money is nice...no one does it 30 years for the money.

Reactions: ShowGoesOn
I had a feeling that you were getting long on the tooth and went ahead and started drawing your retirement. I don't blame ya'.

Nipit you are what we need in SC. If not in coaching then in politics. Maybe school board or county commissioners. You have got what is missing. COMMON SENSE. Boy do we ever need some of that. If you decide to run let me know and I will get all the NCC members together and have a fund raiser. We know how to stoop to any means to raise money. lol

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
Can anybody ever remember when all four schools in Stanly County will all have new football coaches when the 2015 football season begins? I don't know if it has ever happened before. Is it just a coincidence or is it because of the school administration and school board?

1962 might be the closest this has ever come to being true. In 1962, three new consolidated high schools opened in Stanly County. Prior to this, AHS, Norwood, and Badin were the only schools in the county with football.
  • Harvey Brooks had been the head coach at Norwood, and moved right into the job when South Stanly opened, so he was technically not a new coach.
  • Norris Jeffery had been the head coach at Badin, but Paul Hollingsworth was named the first ever football coach at North Stanly.
  • At West Stanly, their football program began from scratch since none of the five tiny western schools had football teams. Laston Grantham was the initial coach of the Colts.
  • At AHS, Moyer Smith was in his first year as head coach in fall of '62 also.
So three of the four Stanly County schools had a new coach in 1962. SSHS had an old coach at a new school.

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
Moyer Smith, star at Lexington and played at UNC. Went onto be an assistant at UNC and to work for years with the Rams Club.

No Buddy. I think he may have become the Albemarle HC about two years out of UNC. He followed Bob Gantt. Was there two years. He used to come with Woody to some of the HoF Banquets. Good guy. Football stud at Lexington, played in the Shrine Bowl. Was a career college assistant and administrator.

You can also expect 3-4 new principals at the high schools as well. Def changes at AHS, WS, & in all likelihood SS. Principal at NS may or may not get reassigned. Not sure AHS will name a HFC until a new principal is in place. Doubt a coach like Stone or any other quality HFC would take a position not knowing who they will have as principal.

If offered I can almost guarantee you Stone will accept no matter who the principal is.

The June meeting of the BOE I would hope would take care of some personnel matters. Any principals that are to be moved will surely happen. I am hopeing Albemarle will have a candidate for HC to put before the board. I feel personnel matters will be a big part of the June Meeting.

You know it is bad when Trench Warrior (can I say Montgomery County fan) knows about the admin. changes coming to Stanly county before our own Buddy Rich? If I was a full-fledged member of the no-class-club....I would request they apologize...and now.

I think he is wrong about coach Stone. The man can speak for himself when the opportunity arises...but, the principal being he or she...it just doesn't matter in this situation... imo.

You know it is bad when Trench Warrior (can I say Montgomery County fan) knows about the admin. changes coming to Stanly county before our own Buddy Rich? If I was a full-fledged member of the no-class-club....I would request they apologize...and now.

Wrong answer, Rat! Not sure where you got the notion that I'm a Montgomery Co fan???? Not even close!! Double-Agent??? Don't put too much stock in what I say on here, Mr. Rich. When dealing with Stanly Co, everything is a guess & certainly subject to change given who makes the most noise. However, I will add this, any HFC willing to take a job no matter who the principal is at any school is a FOOL!

Is Mr. Stone coming? I wish someone would tell me already.

Anyway, playing football with the kiddos yesterday reminded me that Albemarle is full of talent....at many levels.

I will agree with one thing you say TW. Anything and everything in stanly county is guesswork.

Is Mr. Stone coming? I wish someone would tell me already.

Anyway, playing football with the kiddos yesterday reminded me that Albemarle is full of talent....at many levels.

Your guess is as good as any. As of yesterday (but always subject to change), the HFC vacancy is an internal posting only. Could mean two things: 1. Like the other three high schools, they are not going to do an extensive search and will take the path of least resistance by making a local hire or 2. They have already contacted their man (Stone possibly) & don't need to go thru 100 applicants. Who knows?

If I were a betting man TW I would guess # 2. By the way who is your team of choice?

Spring football will be this coming Tuesday at 3:30. No helmets or pads allowed. This is contigent that things go as planned. I plan on being there. Go Dogs.

Trench Warrior. I was thinking WARRIOR as a W MT. Warrior. My mistake.... I did ask my only source. I was told the one principal is probable. The other two or strictly speculation. (I think you might be right on all three.).

There is another coach in the mix on the AHS job. Knotts and title lineage but I do not think he has been an HC. Heard he had a core group ready to come and teach/coach at AHS.

That sounds great!

But......just let me know when someone signs on the "Dotted" line :cool:

Btango. Just wondered what to expect at our spring football workout next Tuesday. I know they say skill development, but just what does that mean and what do they do. Never been to one and also I'm especially interested in our numbers this year.Thanks

Last edited:
I would think they will be doing a lot of non contact football drills and improving the player's fundamentals. Since they do not have a coach I doubt there will be much in the way of specific offense and defense. Would expect some conditioning.

OK guys it must be official. The job for Head Football Coach at Albemarle has been listed on the schools web site. We're Hiring!!!!!!

Something we haven't really talked about is the kids at Albemarle that play football. Just think what they have been through this year. With all the talk of closing the school and maybe no team this coming year. How has this affected them? Now that we are going to have another season I would hope they would be excited and ready to go. I really just don't know how much all this has affected them and also at this point they don't even know who the new coach will be. I'm hoping as soon as the new coach is announced we can all come together and have a great season. Go Dogs.

Something we haven't really talked about is the kids at Albemarle that play football. Just think what they have been through this year. With all the talk of closing the school and maybe no team this coming year. How has this affected them? Now that we are going to have another season I would hope they would be excited and ready to go. I really just don't know how much all this has affected them and also at this point they don't even know who the new coach will be. I'm hoping as soon as the new coach is announced we can all come together and have a great season. Go Dogs.

Have You heard from Nation. We have Thomasville and Concord during August and I guess the Schedule stays as usual after that. Who is supposed to get the information turned in. 47 Teams have turned in Theirs to this site.

My apologies guys have been working on our bball schedule for next year and trying to get it finalized. Always fun when really no 1a's want to play you outside conference.

Mr. Deese will turn all of that in. Not sure of the details but hopefully a HC will be added soon. Essentially in regards to the kids, so much has been talked about in regards the school closing and then making things worse the BOE not coming out is not helping these kids. I'm hoping with the hire of a HC and announcing plans with the schools officially will be at the next board meeting. Sorry fellas I'm not in support of people playing politics with kids. Kids need security and stability. They have not only made it hard on students but also staff.

I would hope that the fans and community come out in big numbers to show support for the kids and school come football season. These kids need it and deserve it for everything they have been through.

In the end this BOE has hurt these kids and the school. I have heard of kids transferring out of stanly county because of this. They have not shown leadership or IMHO a good unbiased representation of all of our schools. The games need to end. Everybody knows they are going to redistrict they just haven't made an official announcement. This next board meeting I hope and pray that they come out as a strong group and make a unanimous vote to keep all schools open so these kids can get some stability in their lives because most of these kids don't have that.

Enjoyed your post nation. I hope this school board realizies how much they have hurt these students and it's time for them to get their act together. Would love to meet you. Maybe at the first football game. Go Dogs.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
Absolutely Buddy. I will be there in my Albemarle blue!!!! Would love to see the stands packed up in support of our Bulldogs. It was great to see during bball season such a great turnout and an awesome crowd... The kids loved it

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT