ADVERTISEMENT

Stanly County Football

Do not think Endy will support it. They will be the most affected by the redistricting with a lot of their students districted to AMS and AHS.

Endy Elementary should be the model for the rest of the county. It is a well run school and their test scores show the growth in their population regardless of how you compare.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
Earnhardt I realize you are trying to pin me in a corner and before you fact check understand where I got the nearly 1.6million.

1.1 million estimated as the revenue from the tax ref.

$400,000 I believe this is what it is Buddy posted $330k I couldn't find the breakdown last night. Some of us work and I just got in from a trip on the road. I will look at today to clarify.

$80,000 teacher stipend

So at the figures I posted that's $1.58 million based on the number Buddy posted that's $1.51 million. That is of course the tax ref passes. Thank you for fact checking me.

No problem at all.

The school district is looking for an additional $2.19 million to fully fund the schools per Dr. Griffin's request. What you also have to keep in mind is whether the state funds will stay constant. I see almost no chance that the NC general assembly will send to Stanly County more money for education. If anything, you will see either the same amount or a reduction in the amount that has been sent this past few years. Looking at the numbers, you will probably not see a decrease of funds more than $300,000, which would basically take away the one time "gift" from the County Commissioners.

Keep in mind that the $331,000 is a one time "gift" that the schools cannot be expecting annually. In fact, it will affect one fiscal year and not multiple years. So if the tax referendum passes, you will see a certain increase of revenues that has been estimated around $1.1 million. If you subtract the $1.1 million in anticipated additional sales tax revenues and subtract it from $2.19 million requested by Dr. Griffin, you are still seeing a $1.09 million dollar shortfall from Dr. Griffin's 2015-16 budget request. Should the NC General Assembly cut the allotment from Stanly County, that number will grow.

No problem at all.

The school district is looking for an additional $2.19 million to fully fund the schools per Dr. Griffin's request. What you also have to keep in mind is whether the state funds will stay constant. I see almost no chance that the NC general assembly will send to Stanly County more money for education. If anything, you will see either the same amount or a reduction in the amount that has been sent this past few years. Looking at the numbers, you will probably not see a decrease of funds more than $300,000, which would basically take away the one time "gift" from the County Commissioners.

Keep in mind that the $331,000 is a one time "gift" that the schools cannot be expecting annually. In fact, it will affect one fiscal year and not multiple years. So if the tax referendum passes, you will see a certain increase of revenues that has been estimated around $1.1 million. If you subtract the $1.1 million in anticipated additional sales tax revenues and subtract it from $2.19 million requested by Dr. Griffin, you are still seeing a $1.09 million dollar shortfall from Dr. Griffin's 2015-16 budget request. Should the NC General Assembly cut the allotment from Stanly County, that number will grow.

News flash you always ask for more than what you need. Dr. Griffin is a smart lady and she knew that she would not get that or be able to. Not saying he asked for a million more but you get an increase of $1.1million over what you already have to invest in new curriculum. Maybe not the 2.19 but it's an increase.

But if you think that Dr. Griffin was expecting the full amount you are crazy.

In regards to the state, I actually think those funds will decrease as this state is in love with the charters. There will be more charters and less funding for traditionals, unfortunately. This will put more of the funding burden for our local schools on the communities.

Endy Elementary should be the model for the rest of the county. It is a well run school and their test scores show the growth in their population regardless of how you compare.

Sleeh quick question. Isn't the principal at endy the one who used to be at AHS?

News flash you always ask for more than what you need. Dr. Griffin is a smart lady and she knew that she would not get that or be able to. Not saying he asked for a million more but you get an increase of $1.1million over what you already have to invest in new curriculum. Maybe not the 2.19 but it's an increase.

But if you think that Dr. Griffin was expecting the full amount you are crazy.

In regards to the state, I actually think those funds will decrease as this state is in love with the charters. There will be more charters and less funding for traditionals, unfortunately. This will put more of the funding burden for our local schools on the communities.

I disagree. Everything she has asked for is very well detailed in her budget proposal. Superintendents know that they can lose instant credibility if they add "fluff" to their budget. The increase is significant with the fact the request would require the County to spend approximately 12 million dollars as compared to the 9.6 million spent last year (if I recall right, the budget anticipates about a $200,000 decrease in state funding). However, if you compare this number to the amount the state has cut from the school system's allotment, it isn't that big of an increase. The school system has literally had to do more with less. The burden falls on the teachers and the coaches to spend out of pocket costs for supplies that isn't in the budget.

This is the time for Stanly County to make a statement that they really do care about a quality education.

I disagree. Everything she has asked for is very well detailed in her budget proposal. Superintendents know that they can lose instant credibility if they add "fluff" to their budget. The increase is significant with the fact the request would require the County to spend approximately 12 million dollars as compared to the 9.6 million spent last year (if I recall right, the budget anticipates about a $200,000 decrease in state funding). However, if you compare this number to the amount the state has cut from the school system's allotment, it isn't that big of an increase. The school system has literally had to do more with less. The burden falls on the teachers and the coaches to spend out of pocket costs for supplies that isn't in the budget.

This is the time for Stanly County to make a statement that they really do care about a quality education.

In regards to the anticipated decrease from everything I have seen I would say she is close. I agree with stanly county should stand for a quality education and I believe they are.

You can look all over to consolidated schools and see what happens to the schools as well as the communities who consolidate. Additionally no school has space to combine down into 2 schools which means you are building 2 new high schools which is a waste of money. There is nothing wrong with the facilities at AHS even the studies that came out for AHS repeatedly talked about the facilities there. The problem with AHS which was evident by the study is there is a huge disconnect between admin and teachers (alittle more than that but you get where I am coming from).

You have a community HS with a ton of pride and one that I believe with a few changes could be a great achieving HS. Doubling the class size for teachers and students will do nothing except lose the ones that need the most help and you see this all the time in bigger public schools. Typically from my experiences the better performing schools are your smaller schools. This school system has issues but they are not as far off as we may think.

1) our teachers are under paid. Coaches don't coach for the money, I don't believe I have ever walked out of a year and made money. We do it to help kids be successful. Teachers don't do it for the money but they need to be able to provide for themselves.

2) there needs to be a standard of excellence set from the central office down. The mediocre mindset has to go. Kids are resilient and will always rise to the occasion if the proper support is around them. You cannot have a disconnect from admin to teachers. You have to bring in teachers who want to teach and work with kids. To get these teachers you have to be somewhat competitive or atleast give them raises lol.

3) you have to be disciplined with your money. There is no reason why we don't have a down to the penny cost of our transportation etc. For example if our districts were outlined properly we would probably save a ton of money just in that area alone and with my experience in business if there is one area there is always another.

4). We do need more higher level courses and a varience of courses. We can institute those right into our current HS. We as a community do need to step up to the plate and better fund our schools. My personal philosophy is you never push back when it comes to funding your kids education.

Just to clear things up. I don't hate or dislike any member of the BOE or Dr. Griffin. I don't form my opinions from Burr or Poole or anybody else. I rely on my experience and my research to form my own opinion. I have seen a blue ribbon school in a community the size of Norwood with the same income levels. It is possible to keep all 4hs open and have a great quality education. I have seen it done but you can reach excellence if your goal is to be mediocre

I'm a big supporter of zero-based budgets. However, very few school systems across the state have the resources to prepare a zero-based budget that is easy to read and is transparent. Instead, many boards will ask that a certain expense item be "drilled down" to show the details to justify the cost. Transportation and utility costs have been two items that have become increasingly hard to budget. Back in the 2007-08 school year we saw a significant escalation in fuel prices while in 2008-09 we saw the opposite pattern.

As far as the argument that the "smaller is better", the same argument occurred during the desegregation years. I point this out because some of the consolidated schools performed better than the defunct community schools while some others did not. The main factor is that community schools perform better if they are fully funded.

In Stanly County, the schools are not fully funded, and that is the issue.

I just looked up some info and found some interesting information. I compared the county schools (since they are their own school districts I just combined this info to matchup with what we have here) to our schools here funding wise. I fully expected to see their schools combined be well above what our schools here are. I was wrong. Below are the stats:

CCS Schools:
Total students 8,000
SCS
Total Students 9,000

CCS
Total Operating Budget $69,000,000
SCS
Total Operating Budget $76,000,000
** I believe this latest figure I seen was around $72,000,000 correct me of
I am wrong here

CCS
Per student spending avg $9,200
SCS
Per student spending $8900 (just over that again correct me if I am wrong)

Teacher starting salary:
CCS $39,000
SCS $24,000

Coaching stipend basketball (I just know this) a difference of about $2100 in stipends.

I thought this was interesting. My assumption was those schools were well funded and had more funding than SCS. And two of these schools are rated extremely high on performance the other two are right behind them.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
Sleeh quick question. Isn't the principal at endy the one who used to be at AHS?
I don't know. I do know that my son transferred there when I changed jobs...and they have challenged him to reach his potential. That is the definition of a good staff in my opinion. Nothing against his former school, but Endy expected much more...and got it.

Sleeh I think that is the issue here. If you make your goal to be avg you can not expect to excel. That's great to hear about Endy. Maybe our other schools should follow the blue print of that school.

Man I wish football would start all this politicking sucks I like saying how good my comets are gonna be and getting shit for it better they reading about the disfunctional elected officials we put in office. They suck just like our U.S. Elected officials, always with a personal agenda!!!!! Go comets with a new offensive play caller this year is set to be the best yet.

Man the two things that really jump out at you are the difference in teachers salaries and coaching stipends. Big Difference.

The facilities are much better there as well. So my question is where is the disconnect? I guess in regards to curriculum you can have all the great courses you want BUT those courses are only as good as the teachers we have. I have not been able to read all of the studies done on the schools yet but when you see this comparison and see the schools performing the way they are you look from the top down. But ultimately in regards to the performer levels you have to look at the admin and teachers for each school. I find it hard to believe that if we paid our teachers well so we could keep our good teachers, that our kids would be struggling in the classroom.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
Man the two things that really jump out at you are the difference in teachers salaries and coaching stipends. Big Difference.

There are certainly differences in coaching supplements. Stanly Co is pathetic when it comes to taking care of coaches. However, poor research by BD Nation in finding the figures for differences in starting teaching salaries. Teacher salaries are state, not county based so the research showing 24k is incorrect. Counties do give a local supplement normally based on differences in cost of living or working conditions so Cabarrus, CMS, Union, etc will obviously have to provide more additional money than counties like Stanly & Montgomery. That's not necessarily more money in the teachers pocket at the end of the month.

There are certainly differences in coaching supplements. Stanly Co is pathetic when it comes to taking care of coaches. However, poor research by BD Nation in finding the figures for differences in starting teaching salaries. Teacher salaries are state, not county based so the research showing 24k is incorrect. Counties do give a local supplement normally based on differences in cost of living or working conditions so Cabarrus, CMS, Union, etc will obviously have to provide more additional money than counties like Stanly & Montgomery. That's not necessarily more money in the teachers pocket at the end of the month.

Poor research do you think NC is the only state or even the counties that only offer additional stipends for teachers?

It's actually cheaper to live there instead of here. For example I did a cost of living calculator. If you made $24000 here you would need to make $22,395 there.

This was not a in depth research study by any means. I was actually looking up that info to see comparably speaking where stanly co needed to be in regards to funding as I know those schools, they are very successful, have nice facilities, and keep their teachers. I am still shocked by the funding as I believe me and Btango have discussed this before awhile back about the budgets. I would have never expected to see the budgets comparable or even SCS having a bigger budget.

My question is why such a difference? Why can't we pay teachers more so we can keep our good teachers? I personally believe before we can expect an increase in our performance through adding curriculum we need to start with our teachers. To me that is the front line. The better teachers we have and the more resources we are able to give them the better our results will be. After that focus on adding stem programs. If we have teachers who can't get the kids engaged what good will that do no matter what class they are in? I guess at this point I have more questions than answers.

I just looked up some info and found some interesting information. I compared the county schools (since they are their own school districts I just combined this info to matchup with what we have here) to our schools here funding wise. I fully expected to see their schools combined be well above what our schools here are. I was wrong. Below are the stats:

CCS Schools:
Total students 8,000
SCS
Total Students 9,000

CCS
Total Operating Budget $69,000,000
SCS
Total Operating Budget $76,000,000
** I believe this latest figure I seen was around $72,000,000 correct me of
I am wrong here

CCS
Per student spending avg $9,200
SCS
Per student spending $8900 (just over that again correct me if I am wrong)

Teacher starting salary:
CCS $39,000
SCS $24,000

Coaching stipend basketball (I just know this) a difference of about $2100 in stipends.

I thought this was interesting. My assumption was those schools were well funded and had more funding than SCS. And two of these schools are rated extremely high on performance the other two are right behind them.

What is CCS? If it's Cabarrus County Schools, I think your numbers are off. If it's another CCS, please share what this acronym stands for.

First, Cabarrus County Schools have 7 high schools: Concord, Central Cabarrus, NW Cabarrus, Cox Mill, Hickory Ridge, Mount Pleasant, and Jay M. Robinson. The 2014 ADMs for these schools were:

Concord: 1,240
Central Cabarrus: 1,416
NW Cabarrus: 1,188
Cox Mill: 1,474
Hickory Ridge 1,570
Mount Pleasant 831
Jay Robinson 1,332

Cabarrus County has 8,981 students in just its high schools. If you add the elementary and the middle schools, you are probably looking at something close to 25,000 to 30,000 students.

No I mean clinton county schools. It's in Ohio, similar demographics, median income, number of schools and population of those schools. Differences it's not a county wide school system. They have 4 independent School districts with their own board superintendent etc.

I believe it was Btango and I had a discussion in the past about they were probably funded at a higher rate than we are here. I just happened to look into it this morning just to see and was shocked at the overall operating budgets compared to per pupil funding and performance.

Okay, we are talking about a different state. Thanks.

What should be looked at is the amount of money that is being paid by the feds, the state, and the local governments. In North Carolina, there is a much larger financial burden on the local government to fund the public schools than on the local governments in Ohio. The state of Ohio spends more money on education per student than in North Carolina. In fact, you are seeing a little increase in spending (almost flat) in Ohio per student while in North Carolina you are seeing a decrease in spending per student.

As such, the local government has much more flexibility in how their public education is structured than in North Carolina. That's one reason why you are seeing an additional $300/student increase in Clinton County Ohio over Stanly County. If Stanly County had two or more school systems, you would see the county's spending per student rise as a result of expanded bureaucracy (i.e. school administrators).

Ohio is also different in that the overall population within the Buckeye state has been very stagnant over the past several decades while North Carolina's population has increased at a faster rate than most states. In 2000, Ohio's population was 11,353,140 and in 2010, Ohio's population was 11,536,504, resulting in an increase of 183,364, or 1.6%. In North Carolina, the population in 2000 was 8,049,313 and in 2010 the population as 9,535,483, an increase of 1,486,170, or 18.5%. In essence the population influx in North Carolina has caused budgetary issues due to the demand of new public schools to service the large increase to the state. Ohio doesn't have this issue nearly to the degree as North Carolina. What Ohio and North Carolina share is in a general movement of population to the suburban areas of the state with a continual stagnant population in the rural areas of the state.

Clinton County and Stanly County have an overwhelming Caucasian population. Clinton County's population is about 96% Caucasian while Stanly County's population is about 85% Caucasian. However, with how the school districts are right now, you are seeing tremendous white flight from the public schools in Stanly County. In addition, since the public education system in Stanly County is underfunded, you are seeing more and more kids leave the school system. If the kids would stay in the school system, you would see the average expenditure per student actually decrease. As far as population, Stanly County has 60,000 and Clinton County Ohio has about 42,000 people. Just adding up the numbers, Stanly County has a population that exceeds Clinton Ohio by 40% but the student population is only 12-13% larger. That shows there is little trust within Stanly County for its existing school system.

In our discussion nation, I provided some basic details that listed that the state of Ohio funded a higher percentage than NC. That was my main point as was comparing a system in NC to an out of state system. Use school systems in NC that have a similar population and also use ones with similar enrollments to get a better snapshot.

The starting teacher salary in Stanly cannot be correct.

Can you link to where the numbers came from for both Clinton County Ohio and Stanly County NC?

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
In our discussion nation, I provided some basic details that listed that the state of Ohio funded a higher percentage than NC. That was my main point as was comparing a system in NC to an out of state system. Use school systems in NC that have a similar population and also use ones with similar enrollments to get a better snapshot.

The starting teacher salary in Stanly cannot be correct.

Can you link to where the numbers came from for both Clinton County Ohio and Stanly County NC?

I agree btango. The best county within NC to compare Stanly County with is Franklin County. Franklin County is similar to Stanly County in the fact that its close to a major urban area, the population is about 61K while Stanly County is 60K, and the land area is about 495 sq. miles while Stanly County is 404 sq. miles.

Franklin County has three high schools, four middle schools, nine elementary schools, a creative education center, and an early college, totaling 17 public schools. In comparison, Stanly County has four high schools, four middle schools, eleven elementary schools, a learning center, and an early college, totaling 21 schools. Mind you, Franklin is a larger geographical area than Stanly County, has about the same population, but has four fewer schools. The performance of both school systems are about the same, both below the state average for passing EOG tests. The big difference is the amount of money the local government pays in education. Franklin County pays out $1,624.37 per student while Stanly County pays out $1,281.79. The average amount spent by local municipalities within NC is $2,094.74 per student. As you can see, both schools are under the state average with Stanly County drastically under the state average.

The other difference has to do with the economics of both areas. In 6 of the 8 Franklin elementary schools, 60% or higher of the students receive free and reduced lunch. Stanly County has only 4 of its 11 elementary schools that have more than 60% of the students receive free and reduced lunch. Therefore this analysis isn't quite apples to apples. Kids that come from economically challenged households have consistently underachieved in the classroom. In this part Stanly County has a leg up on Franklin County, meaning that the Stanly County Commissioners should really consider increasing its spending on education.

http://febp.newamerica.net/k12/NC/3704320. This the easiest site to use I believe I went to a couple of others and the numbers lined up fairly closely.

Wilmington City Schools
Blanchester local schools
East clinton local schools
Clinton massie local schools

Are the 4 school districts in clinton county.

For the most part NC school systems fall under one county unless it is a city school system that comes under more than one county. Kannapolis is one example and I think there are a few others in NC. I have found in many states where there are multiple school systems in a county they often overlap county borders. That is another issue that throws off comparisons.

Do schools in states with very strong Parochial schools need to spend more to be competitive for the students?

I think the Elkin City School System is similar with Kannapolis because Elkin is right on the line with Wilkes and Surry County.

Sampson County has two school systems with the county and Clinton City. Sampson County is nearly 2.5 times as large as Stanly County and has a population of about 3,000 more citizens.

The five high schools in the county have about 800 more students than Stanly with three 1A schools and two 2A schools. that range in size from 550 to 840.

For the most part NC school systems fall under one county unless it is a city school system that comes under more than one county. Kannapolis is one example and I think there are a few others in NC. I have found in many states where there are multiple school systems in a county they often overlap county borders. That is another issue that throws off comparisons.

Do schools in states with very strong Parochial schools need to spend more to be competitive for the students?

Btango that is a question I'm not sure of. Like I said I have more questions than answers at this point. The reason I looked at Clinton County Schools is because they are very successful and very similar in demographics median household income etc. The breakdown between state funding etc was not even something I was looking at in this situation as I wanted to see from an overall total budget compared with us here in Stanly County. Budget to budget stanly is about $7 million higher student wise about a 1000 more kids. That's what blew me away and then you look at the scores and me knowing the facilities at all these schools, I was shocked to see. Especially when you look at the per pupil spending at only a $300 difference. My question is why such a disparity on scores? That, when you look at the budgets, is not a budget thing.

When you have individual school districts in some cases you have overlap into neighboring counties but typically you are talking maybe a mile in I believe.

The point on the overlapping of counties for school districts is not the geography but the government aspect.

Are you able to pull up the government subsidized lunch figures for the school districts that serve Clinton County and compare to Stanly County. I have found that this often goes along with test scores.

The avg is 48% for clinton county compared to 54% for Stanly County.

East clinton 57% (very similar NSHS)
Wilmington 56% (very similar to AHS)
Blanchester 48% (highest performing school in the county) (very similar to SSHS)
Clinton Massie 27% (very wealthy school district also winner of 2 straight state football titles)

In the last 7 years, millions of families have gone from self-supporting to "below the poverty level". Millions more on food stamps, millions more on free lunch. It is sad that 71 % are in that position, but that also reflects the lack of meaningful jobs in our area. Small business owners are less than 10% of the population. With so many "unskilled" laborers, I am not sure what we can expect in terms of change. I will say it is refreshing to see the TJ Max, Hobby Lobby growth in Albemarle. Hopefully, these new additions will add jobs to some good people in our county and tax revenue for our school system's effort to improve.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
$12 an hour at 40 hours a week is less than $25k without OT. I would think in a one parent / one child household that would qualify for free lunch?

A friend's sister works 40 hours at her main job and two jobs that she tries to get 30-40 hours combined each week to make ends meet with two sons. Kudos to her but it should not be that way in America.

In the last 7 years, millions of families have gone from self-supporting to "below the poverty level". Millions more on food stamps, millions more on free lunch. It is sad that 71 % are in that position, but that also reflects the lack of meaningful jobs in our area. Small business owners are less than 10% of the population. With so many "unskilled" laborers, I am not sure what we can expect in terms of change. I will say it is refreshing to see the TJ Max, Hobby Lobby growth in Albemarle. Hopefully, these new additions will add jobs to some good people in our county and tax revenue for our school system's effort to improve.

If You go through East Albemarle on a weekend night most of the restaurant's are busy. Stanly County has a good work force but most of Them are working out of The county

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT