ADVERTISEMENT

Spiking the football to stop the clock....

msc117

Nov 1, 2003
I am at a loss or have the rules changed... isn't it still illegal to spike the football out of the shotgun in high school football?

I’ve always thought a spike is should be considered intentional grounding. You can’t get more intentional than spiking a football straight into the ground as soon as it’s snapped lol.

I am at a loss or have the rules changed... isn't it still illegal to spike the football out of the shotgun in high school football?
you can do it this year in NC, you have to be right behind the snapper to just kill the clock.
I haven't witnessed it this year though..

I’ve always thought a spike is should be considered intentional grounding. You can’t get more intentional than spiking a football straight into the ground as soon as it’s snapped lol.

It’s not being done to avoid a sack. That’s what intentional grounding is.

lol...spoken like fans of running teams......

I meant it as a joke really. I just don’t like the wording of the rule, a spike is intentional, yet not considered “intentional” grounding. Again, just messing around it’s just semantics, but the wording is what makes me laugh when it becomes a discussion.

My brother and I have been harking this for years!
I don't like the spike rule period, its just a extra timeout basically, like people say if we had me time we could've have won the game no you had the right amount time just didn't get the job done

I don't like the spike rule period, its just a extra timeout basically, like people say if we had me time we could've have won the game no you had the right amount time just didn't get the job done

In the old days you just threw it over the WR head and out of bounds to accomplish stopping the clock. The spike just simplified it.

Just like a few of you, I thought spiking from the shotgun was intentional grounding. Didn't know it was changed this year. News to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT