ADVERTISEMENT

South Granville @ North Davidson

Rameses

Oct 8, 2004
Might as well get this thread started. Game will be played on Black (Knight?) Friday.;)

Looking forward to making a Black Friday trip; Vikings' first appearance this deep in the playoffs since 1975 (back when 3rd Rd was the regional finals)...looks like there are at least 3 or 4 regular posters on this board that follow ND, come find me on the visitor sideline with the unofficially official stat clipboard (or in the press box if it rains) if you want to chat, see picture to the left

Ah, so discipline is the name of the game this week. Our defense is strong against the run, but they haven't really played any triple option teams. Salisbury was supposed to and didn't really run that much pure veer.

Ah, so discipline is the name of the game this week. Our defense is strong against the run, but they haven't really played any triple option teams. Salisbury was supposed to and didn't really run that much pure veer.

You'll see it Friday night! I wish this wasn't so far away for me. I'd like to see Chris Dunn in high school ball. I saw video of him this morning kicking a 57 yd field goal last night. Awesome!

Kim and I have talked about tailgating that night as it might be our last one (win or lose) at home while 32 is still a Black Knight. Just peeked at the weather and it looks a lot like what we’ve had the last 2 weeks.

I am guessing (based on what I can find) that we are the best teams each has faced up to this point this season. Should be a great game.

Our main color is orange this year, so I expect us to be blessed by the great pumpkin! Wait, wrong holiday...

North will be back to their normal up tempo offense this week, without having to worry about signals being stolen... We ran 7-8 minutes be off the clock our first drive against Ledford, when normally our drives consume 1-3 minutes on average.

Kim and I have talked about tailgating that night as it might be our last one (win or lose) at home while 32 is still a Black Knight. Just peeked at the weather and it looks a lot like what we’ve had the last 2 weeks.

I am guessing (based on what I can find) that we are the best teams each has faced up to this point this season. Should be a great game.
Mount Tabor is certainly no slouch!!

Yeah, tabor's still in 3AA

You are right, honestly didn't think about that one. That's a shame as I've been saying MT doesn't get the credit they deserve and then I go and overlook them.

Would love to have that game back too, could have been the 1 seed in the East if we had won that game. I could see this game having a similar feel in the sense of who makes the fewest mistakes,

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
You are right, honestly didn't think about that one. That's a shame as I've been saying MT doesn't get the credit they deserve and then I go and overlook them.

Would love to have that game back too, could have been the 1 seed in the East if we had won that game. I could see this game having a similar feel in the sense of who makes the fewest mistakes,
I agree turnovers and penalties.

Saw some highlights of North Davidson; reminds of the best of the Fedora era at UNC in the spread offense with Sicignano and Boyce looking like Mitch Trubisky and Gio Bernard...hoping the Vikings will be ready to bring it on Friday

Saw some highlights of North Davidson; reminds of the best of the Fedora era at UNC in the spread offense with Sicignano and Boyce looking like Mitch Trubisky and Gio Bernard...hoping the Vikings will be ready to bring it on Friday
OH NO. You had to had to bring up the Tarheels. We had to listen to Ledford band play that dreaded fight song last week!

Also, restaurant-wise, the fellow(s) i'm riding with very well might stop along the interstate at a Bojangles or Chick Fila, but if we make to the Lexington/Welcome area, what are good places to find good food without a big price? Is Char's still open? Stopped there with my wife for ice cream 5-6 years ago and thought it looked/smelled like a great place for a burger....how about the one real close to the school called Nick's Old Fashioned Burgers (or something like that; seen on google maps when planning route, also Lexington BBQ: Overrated and/or overpriced? Or real deal good stuff??

In Welcome, I would say try Rick's Smokehouse, The chicken is good, bbq pork, and bbq beef are very good as well. They have excellent ribs, but those are only available on Thursdays I believe. Personally, I prefer to order my pork bbq course chopped, rather than the more finely chopped variety. Just my 2 cents worth...

If wanting the more traditional Lexington style bbq, stop at Kerley's or Speedy's BBQ, they are good as well. Both are on Old Hwy. 52 heading to NDHS. Speedy's is actually in Lexington, closer to Bus. 85/ 29-70.

Lexington BBQ, is very good, I just prefer others. Like I said, just my opinion, and you know what they say about those!!!, lol

Last edited:
What is the traditional Lexington style bbq? I've lived in Granville Co. (which is still more "eastern" than Lexington) for 14 years, I'm originally from Gates Co. and am all about the classic eastern style like you can find around Wilson, Goldsboro, Greenville, Kinston, etc. where the sauce is a liquid....what i've come to appreciate and realize is that there's nothing wrong with adding a little ketchup and brown sugar to the vinegar sauce to sweeten it, AS LONG AS WHAT GOES ON THE PORK IS STILL A TRUE LIQUID, and not the thick mess like you see in the grocery store labeled Kansas City or Memphis style....I've also heard that "western" NC style involves cooking mainly shoulders, not whole hog....can live with that, again as long as the sauce is vinegarry, peppery, and maybe even a little ketchupy, as long as it's not thick like straight ketchup that i'll use half a bottle on for an order of fries but don't want pork bbq doused in....saw Lexington BBQ (the restaurant) on a History Channel show a while back, and I know you can't tell exactly on tv, but it looked like a red liquidy sauce with a lot of vinegar and ketchup....also heard a different PBS Bob Garner show a while back say that typically the "Lexington style" didn't have the sauce added until it was served...as opposed to what i'm used to when you slosh in the peppery vinegar when making it, then can add more to season to taste when serving

By the way, Madison Hedgecock and myself were in the same drama class at UNC when he was a freshman and I was a sophomore....he wouldn't know me though, close to 550 students in that class...though my roommate that year from Trinity HS had other friends at UNC (who also went to Trinity HS) who knew him and his roommate...somebody Hovis I think

Reactions: bkknights93
What is the traditional Lexington style bbq? I've lived in Granville Co. (which is still more "eastern" than Lexington) for 14 years, I'm originally from Gates Co. and am all about the classic eastern style like you can find around Wilson, Goldsboro, Greenville, Kinston, etc. where the sauce is a liquid....what i've come to appreciate and realize is that there's nothing wrong with adding a little ketchup and brown sugar to the vinegar sauce to sweeten it, AS LONG AS WHAT GOES ON THE PORK IS STILL A TRUE LIQUID, and not the thick mess like you see in the grocery store labeled Kansas City or Memphis style....I've also heard that "western" NC style involves cooking mainly shoulders, not whole hog....can live with that, again as long as the sauce is vinegarry, peppery, and maybe even a little ketchupy, as long as it's not thick like straight ketchup that i'll use half a bottle on for an order of fries but don't want pork bbq doused in....saw Lexington BBQ (the restaurant) on a History Channel show a while back, and I know you can't tell exactly on tv, but it looked like a red liquidy sauce with a lot of vinegar and ketchup....also heard a different PBS Bob Garner show a while back say that typically the "Lexington style" didn't have the sauce added until it was served...as opposed to what i'm used to when you slosh in the peppery vinegar when making it, then can add more to season to taste when serving
That's about right, Lex style is shoulders, smoked by hickory wood, then dip(vinegar, pepper, etc, maybe a little ketchup) now my favorite addition is with the BBQ slaw, which is what, to me, brings the flavor of the meat out, it is red, made of: ketchup, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper.

Rick's is a bit different, still pit cooks the meats, and has the slaw, they add seasonings, or sauces while cooking, and have thicker sauces for each meat. Not too thick or sweet though. I would say they have more of a sauce than the "traditional", more runny bbq "dip" as called.

I hunted in Warren County for several years, we always had a spring time, annual cookout and the locals up there would smoke a whole hog, basically the same as we were used to, in the whole fashion. I remember my first year when dinner was served early evening, we were told to grab a plate, and go to the grill to get your meat, then to the table of sides and desserts. To my surprise the sauces for the meat were mostly, nearly all a more mustard base. Reluctently I tried them, and will have to admit, they were very good, I had no problems every year following with the "eastern style" fare! Was a pleasant surprise! I guess growing up I had heard of pig pickins', had just never experienced in the literal meaning, lol. Have thought of doing that at home sometime.

Last edited:
Yes, strange though, as the mustard based bbq sauce is usually more associated with the eastern part of SOUTH Carolina around Charleston, Georgetown, low country areas....but strangely enough, the first time I had ever tried bbq sauce with any mustard was at a whole hog pig pickin and the guy cooking it was using a sauce he got from his father in law who lived out in the country, east of Louisburg, not that far from Warren Co. actually....but of course it was not a yellow sauce like i've seen on tv as the SC style, but just used a little mustard in the vinegary sauce, along with a little ketchup and crushed red pepper, etc.....i prefer it without any mustard but could live with it that way...but tell me, please that Lexington style is different than what you get in the mountains...we were staying in Boone, tried a place called Woodlands BBQ in Blowing Rock and the best part of the meal was the sweet tea....the fries were ok while they kept their warmth, but they gave me so many that they were getting cold by the time I finished....but the bbq was some of the worst I've ever had in my life....just very little flavor, not a thick sauce on it; knew from the pictures I'd seen online, and it was recommended by some former students of mine from South Granville that attended Appalachian State so I figured it would be ok, but what little flavor there was didn't have enough of any of the things that would go into a good pork bbq sauce...hard to describe what it was like, but I kept taking a bite after bite hoping it would get better but i think it got worse...that's when it's time to go for a bbq sandwich i suppose, to let the bread mask the bland flavor

Yes, strange though, as the mustard based bbq sauce is usually more associated with the eastern part of SOUTH Carolina around Charleston, Georgetown, low country areas....but strangely enough, the first time I had ever tried bbq sauce with any mustard was at a whole hog pig pickin and the guy cooking it was using a sauce he got from his father in law who lived out in the country, east of Louisburg, not that far from Warren Co. actually....but of course it was not a yellow sauce like i've seen on tv as the SC style, but just used a little mustard in the vinegary sauce, along with a little ketchup and crushed red pepper, etc.....i prefer it without any mustard but could live with it that way...but tell me, please that Lexington style is different than what you get in the mountains...we were staying in Boone, tried a place called Woodlands BBQ in Blowing Rock and the best part of the meal was the sweet tea....the fries were ok while they kept their warmth, but they gave me so many that they were getting cold by the time I finished....but the bbq was some of the worst I've ever had in my life....just very little flavor, not a thick sauce on it; knew from the pictures I'd seen online, and it was recommended by some former students of mine from South Granville that attended Appalachian State so I figured it would be ok, but what little flavor there was didn't have enough of any of the things that would go into a good pork bbq sauce...hard to describe what it was like, but I kept taking a bite after bite hoping it would get better but i think it got worse...that's when it's time to go for a bbq sandwich i suppose, to let the bread mask the bland flavor
If you can get some of the skin and outer edge mixed in there, you will taste more of the smoke flavor, I personally don't like to add a bunch of dip, but will add a little, and then some hot sauce, or texas Pete... Each restaurant will vary a bit, but would think you will find ample flavor at most of them...I do like a chopped sandwich now and then, but prefer a course chopped plate with slaw, and hush puppies, the course chopped is more like hunks or squares....

I can do without the slaw, but can make a meal out of bbq and hush puppies, love fries too, (with a half gallon ketchup), but also really like what we call "bbq potatoes" in the northeastern part of the state....whole white potatoes, sometimes called new potatoes, sliced up, cooked for a couple of hours in a sauce that I would say is too thick for pork, but definitely more red than brown

I can do without the slaw, but can make a meal out of bbq and hush puppies, love fries too, (with a half gallon ketchup), but also really like what we call "bbq potatoes" in the northeastern part of the state....whole white potatoes, sometimes called new potatoes, sliced up, cooked for a couple of hours in a sauce that I would say is too thick for pork, but definitely more red than brown
Sounds good, need to try that sometime!

Yes, I would share the recipe but would rather get the discussion back to sports....what I meant about the ND QB was that the few plays I saw, he looked like a guy that could run the offense and take care of business without having to do anything spectacular; whether it does involve throwing a deep ball to an open receiver or going underneath to take what the defense gives, or handing the ball off to the slick, hard to tackle RB, he looks like a good leader....and the RB Boyce, looks like a guy that can set up blocks by the way he runs with vision, and can also spin out of tackles, which can really cause problems for a defense if you don't have a lot of guys to the ball, and the one guy in position to bring him down misses...If maxpreps stats are accurate, it looks like there are two WRs with a lot of yards, so you can't focus too much on stopping the run, and you can't focus too much on stopping the pass or you get gashed by the run if the O-Line gets a hat on a hat...for the Vikings, they force the defense to pick their poison taking away the different components of a triple option type attack...SG has 8 different backs with a carry of 20 yards or more and 8 different guys with 100 yards or more rushing on the season, defense might key on the full back or key on the QB or key on the wing backs but it can be tough to take away every option on every snap when you have to account for the FB, QB, and both WBs, one of whom is usually in motion (hopefully just one, have seen a couple of penalties when both mistakenly take off)...no idea if this game will turn into a defensive struggle or a high scoring shootout, but what's happened in more than one of our close games this year is that the 1st half feels like a defensive struggle, then the points come in bunches late...we trailed in our game at Bunn 19-17 with about 4:30 to go in 4th Qtr, then you blink and we were ahead 37-19, (then they added a score on the very last play with no time left to make it 37-26)...our Ravenscroft game was 6-6 in mid 2nd Qtr and next thing you know it was 41-6 in early 4th Qtr...hoping our guys can get it done but have a feeling it's going to take some 4th quarter heroics on both sides of the ball, that we've not had to show since that Bunn game more than a month ago

And I just hope we don't have the same officials from the last time we were in those parts, it was for a regular season non-conference game when in 2007, we, for some reason, thought it would be a good idea to schedule the defending state champions from Eastern Randolph, and we held our own, honestly somewhat surprisingly to me (early season non-conference game where we were coming off back to back 3-8 seasons; 2007 became the first of 11 straight playoff appearances, with 5 conference championships, and above .500 for 9 of those 11 years) against a very good Wildcats team who lost the bulk of their state championship ring winners, but still a great program, with Coach Cates leading the way...but didn't know we'd have to also beat the five guys in stripes.....we're kicking a FG, blocked by ER, but caught in the air behind line of scrimmage by one of our OL, who ran for a TD, called back and ball given to ER 1st & 10 going the other way (which would have been correct had the ball gone past the line of scrimmage, but how does an OL, who can't go past the LOS on a kick, catch the ball in the air when it was batted almost straight up?)...both wing officials and the umpire must have all been cross eyed the way they gave ER an extra half yard every time they spotted the ball, but took away a half yard or more from us, including game on the line, trailing 13-6, 4th & medium play near midfield with about 2:00 to go...pass completion AWFULLY close to the sticks; got such a bad spot from the apparently crossed eyed ones that we couldn't even get the white hat to authorize a measurement, when I still say they shouldn't have needed to measure since our guy's forward progress was so far PAST the sticks....and of course every play that we popped for more than 4 or 5 yards: Holding; Offense; 10 yards from the spot of the foul, and some or all might have been legitimate calls, but our DE's jerseys are getting pulled off their shoulder pads and never get a flag...of course we've had our share of awful crews this year too....looking forward to having a group not only from out of our association, but hopefully a very good and competent crew to still be officiating in the 3rd Rd...we've had 2 games this year where there were 28 flags thrown against the two teams combined, and a few weeks ago, were assessed a (wait for it).....22 yard penalty for one unsportsmanlike conduct....I can see 16; I can see 14 (see it all the time actually when they miscount steps or don't pay close enough attention to the tick marks), but 22?? Come on

Well if it's all the same to you, and you can tell me later, I don't think North has really been the beneficiary of home cooking this year lmao

Yes, I've heard of this home cooking thing for many years at many places but it's always felt like teams come to our place and get road cooking....I really don't think the guys in stripes have a vendetta against us every week, as much as it is that the more experienced and/or more competent officials in the Triangle area are doing 4A games in Wake County, and a lot of bad calls (and no calls) go both ways, and it just seems like we get a disproportionate number whether we're at home or on the road....but I will say that in my mid 3rd Qtr twitter update at Roanoke Rapids, I posted the score (34-14 SG) and the penalty stats (SG 10-90, RR 3-30)....then a week later at Bunn (one of the 28 flag games both ways), I ended a tweet with #FlagDay; just hope they'll be consistent this week with the holdings or lack thereof

North reminds me of Andrews in 2013 when they won the 2AA state title. Both lost opening game and then proceeded to beat the sh*t out of everybody they were supposed to beat In the regular season, only being tested maybe once. Everybody questioned their schedule but they kept beating everybody in the playoffs. Got to the 3rd round and the chatter started that this would be the week it might end. Nope didn’t happen then. Then it was definitely in the state semis. Nope they won that one by like 4 scores too. Went on to beat a stout Monroe team in the state final. Stay the course North. You guys will win the state title if you play your best football down the stretch. Your best is better than anybody else’s best. I believe that.

North reminds me of Andrews in 2013 when they won the 2AA state title. Both lost opening game and then proceeded to beat the sh*t out of everybody they were supposed to beat In the regular season, only being tested maybe once. Everybody questioned their schedule but they kept beating everybody in the playoffs. Got to the 3rd round and the chatter started that this would be the week it might end. Nope didn’t happen then. Then it was definitely in the state semis. Nope they won that one by like 4 scores too. Went on to beat a stout Monroe team in the state final. Stay the course North. You guys will win the state title if you play your best football down the stretch. Your best is better than anybody else’s best. I believe that.
hmmm......

SG was hoping for a shot against Andrews in 2013 but couldn't get out of the 1st Rd against an underrated Hertford Co. (3 way tie in their conference, drew the short straw and had to go on the road) that came on the road played almost a perfect game....I remember watching that Andrews/Monroe game live streaming on the internet, both teams very good, and very similar to each other

I dunno if we're the best but I do believe we're the most balanced as far as running and passing on offense, stuffing the run, pressuring the pass and covering in the secondary, plus having a kid that can boom the ball with his leg.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT