ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby vs North Davidson

There was somewhere there in the mid 90s, I don't know who the QB was but I remember reading about their All American linebacker and they had a secondary that was top in the country one of those mid 90s years when they were 3A, avg speed was 4.4 with high 4.3 and slower ones at 4.5
Just figured it out, his name was Norris Hopper, he was a great player.

Reactions: beamer24
I saw you guys, led by a freakish athlete in Todd Gurley, beat a great Lincolnton team. How do you think this current team stack up against that team?
This was a really good game. The running back for Lincolnton was hard to stop. The pass to the tight end for Tarboro was the big play on the winning drive. One of maybe three passes. The 2a and the 2aa games this year will be fun to watch if the weather will cooperate. The key for ND will be to get pressure on the quarterback.

Just figured it out, his name was Norris Hopper, he was a great player.

No this was the secondary(Hopper is QB right?), I wish I would find that information again. They had 2 high school All Americans and their secondary was literally tops nationally. There were 2 Dax level players defensively. A linebacker and a corner.

No this was the secondary(Hopper is QB right?), I wish I would find that information again. They had 2 high school All Americans and their secondary was literally tops nationally. There were 2 Dax level players defensively. A linebacker and a corner.
The Hopper I'm talking about was the QB, I'm pretty sure he played 95, 96, 97.

The Hopper I'm talking about was the QB, I'm pretty sure he played 95, 96, 97.
Yes he played those three years. Best athlete I have ever seen on a high school football field.The corner that played back then then was Robert Williams.He went on and played at UNC with Dre Bly.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Yes he played those three years. Best athlete I have ever seen on a high school football field.The corner that played back then then was Robert Williams.He went on and played at UNC with Dre Bly.

Right that was their fasted player I think. He was clocked at 4.2/4.3. The rest of the defensive backfield was half a step slower. I think thats when they put the big South Carolina schools on their schedule back then(when they were 3A). Hopper was probably and underclassman when they were 3A.

Right that was their fasted player I think. He was clocked at 4.2/4.3. The rest of the defensive backfield was half a step slower. I think thats when they put the big South Carolina schools on their schedule back then(when they were 3A). Hopper was probably and underclassman when they were 3A.
Yes, he would have been a Soph. and Jr. when Shelby was 3A and Sr. when you dropped to 2A in 1997. Shelby lost to Clinton in the 2A Final in 97.

Reactions: Chopper747
Yes, he would have been a Soph. and Jr. when Shelby was 3A and Sr. when you dropped to 2A in 1997. Shelby lost to Clinton in the 2A Final in 97.

I'm not one of the Shelby people(I make them mad half the time), I just read up on teams when they're doing well in a particular year or span.

Yea right, I'm a fan of one of the seven teams who didn't even win 4 games that you guys beat. LOL. Ya'll are BEASTS, no doubt. I can't help that your frustrated with me just telling the truth. Shelby will beat you down. Then next year, when your a legitimate 2A team, your reign is OVER. It will be comical, I can see it now. You 4 experts will start blame the losses on coaching. Why do you think Holcomb left, he knew this day was coming.
If North does drop a bit next year it won't be coaching or necessarily the numbers. This is probably one of the best senior classes North Davidson has ever had. The junior class is not particularly stout. North will be okay and hopefully this will be a top to bottom more competitive conference. Thomasville and Oak Grove will obviously be better and Salisbury was very young this year. You cant judge the effect on one season we must look at it over time. 336 not sure what your beef is with North. Shelby has every right to be proud of their tradition as they have earned. We are underdogs but I look forward to the challenge. Like Nut says play the game and may the best team win. Look forward to meeting some who post on this forum.

Norris was the back up QB at Gaffney one year, he came in the game (Dont remember if by an injury or what) but ended up running for over 200 in like a half against them, they killed us that season, but he was outstanding

Found this one video of a run from that game

I think the NCHSAA instituted the overtime system the following year after North and Shelby tied. Probably not a coincidence

Dont fool yourselfs folks this will be a dog fight till the end.... Hope we continue to play well

Those ND posters are some good folks, always enjoy reading their posts... gonna be a lot of fun
Hey Shelby Lion I used to work with a guy who helped do stats for Shelby. He and I worked together at Wal-Mart in Forest City. I remember he posted on here but didn't know who he was. I know his first name but don't want to put it out there on here. Can you help me out? Be cool to reconnect with him. He was a good dude.

Norris Hopper was best athlete ive seen at Shelby. Well since i started watching in 79.
His vision ovet the field was unreal.
He went to minor leagues fir baseball out of high school...kid was a player
I played at Chase in the late 90's and Norris Hopper was a senior my freshman yr. That kid was unreal and could flat out fly.

Reactions: shelbyfan1
I think the NCHSAA instituted the overtime system the following year after North and Shelby tied. Probably not a coincidence

Actually, it was the NFHS that implemented the overtime period nationally in the 70s. What a great rule change.

Last time I saw Shelby was when y’all were whopping Tarboros tail in Kenan stadium in ‘98 lol

Good times....34-14. That first kickoff set the tone!! The noseguard in the yellow socks I had to block...not a lot of weight on him but he was quick. Didn't help that your D1 recruit MLB tore his knee up early in the game.

OK, help me out Golden Lions' fans. As I recall, Hopper's first year at Shelby he was a wide receiver and Devin Scott was the QB. Hopper sometimes ran the ball from the qb position that year. The following year, Scott transferred to a school in SC (Dorman?) and later played qb at Temple.

Hopper took over at qb his junior year??? Following his senior year, Hopper went to the Shrine Bowl but was considered an afterthought at qb and moved to one of the back up WR positions. NC was getting drubbed by SC and Hopper was finally put in the game at WR. Caught a sideline out pass and outran all of the SC defenders to score a TD for NC.

Is this an accurate account?

Reactions: blkgolddynasty
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT