Score updates

Ashe Co.34 Maiden 20

RS Central 29 Bandys 26

Mt. Tabor 47 S. Caldwell 0

Vance 35 Mooresville 7

East Lincoln 56 Smoky Mtn. 7

Sun Valley 20 Statesville 14

Lincolnton 41 N/C 14

Clinton wins 42-0. Defensive masterpiece. Graham completes 1 pass and two picks. The 42 wasn't bad either just patience

RS over Bandys 29-26 Bandys picked off with 30 seconds left

This post was edited on 11/14 9:48 PM by msc117

Final: Ashe Co 34 - Maiden 27. Dropped pass by Maiden in the end zone as time expires.

Lincolnton 47 Newton-Conover 14 final score: Way to go Lincolnton (not me, the team). Hats off to the Red Devils, our opponents twice in the last three weeks. I know they'll be back and ready next season.

In all the years I've never seen a coach get flagged but Coach Beam got a penalty tonight for arguing with the referees. I can't even remember what he was upset about but he was fired up, Or perhaps he was trying to fire up his team.At that time the breaks were going against them. Let me throw in a disclaimer here:I'm not being critical of him. In my opinion he is a great coach and what happened just happened.

Something else I haven't seen but first let me say that In my opinion Lincolnton has the finest press box crew in high school football. If I sound partial it's because I am but I believe it none the less. The have always and are always business. Tonight at the end of the game someone there played a short segment of the song. "you dropped a bomb on me". This song is played after a win by Coach Beam led teams and is played just before his teams celebrate by throwing the ball into the air and as it comes down all present fall to the ground. It's just a ritual and all in fun, I suppose...Again, I'm not being critical or our press box crew and as well as they've served Lincolnton High School football I wouldn't be critical of them if they did something to be critical of, and knowing them they probably had a reason for doing what they did. I'd just never seen them do anything outside of business as usual.

The Wolves will go on to host The Parkwood Rebels, a tough Rocky River Conference team, next Friday, who had Hunter Huss down something like 37-7 last time I heard. I look for a good match... It's nice to go another round.

Coach Beam gets flagged:

Not surprised. In both the Lincolnton and East Lincoln games he was very vocal to the refs during a lot of jawing and after the play action. He is quite the fire ball. He is a bit different than most coaches that's for certain. Refs will only take so much. Don't think Beam is the most popular person once he enters the stadium. But the jids like him and respond to his methods which is what matters.

You Dropped a Bomb on Me:

What's good for the goose,is good for the gander. The bomb ceremony after the game irks a lot of people. Personally I have stayed for it only because I may have been talking to friends. Too me it's not something I would do as a coach but it seems to ignite the student body. If everyone wants to play it after a beat down of Newton, it's ok with me. I'm sure there was a lot of animosity after the last game when Newton-Conover called the cops into the press box on the Lincolnton coaches. Not sure all that happened but there was some jawing between the people in the press box over a couple of simple cuss words. Unfortunately the bomb got dropped on us twice by Lincolnton, both times being cruise missiles.

Lincolnton has a great team and I will only speak for myself in saying they have been a class act all year and hope they have continued success this year. Either Lincolnton or East Lincoln will represent the west in the title game.

trouble seems to follow Beam. That dropping the bomb thing started innocent enough until he started doing it at other schools fields in Cleveland County...They put a stop to that. Then there was the one finger salute (supposedly) that he gave to the Shelby lions after a Burns victory...

The man is just passionate about he's job. Everybody gets carried away from time to time. He really is an offensive genius and knows how to coach up a QB...he needs some help defensively though it seems based on the scores.

GDG,

Thanks for the comments, my friend. I can't half see (Lol, literally) but it looked like Coach Cloninger and Coach Beam talked for a while after the game ended and I'm sure it was in a cordial way. About our press box playing the bomb song it was maybe a five second snippet, just enough to be noticed. Coach Beam has won here in 2006 but his team didn't do the bomb drop ritual but he had his team to run wind sprints. Some of the Lincolnton fan noticed it as they were leaving and wondered if it was punishment, only to find out it was simply an end of game routine.

Lincolnton and Newton-Conover go way back. .Mr. Edgar Love, who died about ten years ago and lived to be well into his nineties said he was an equipment manager etc. for LIncolnton in their first football game which was against Newton. He said he didn't remember who won but the game was held in a lot behind the old Seth Lumber Company between South Aspen St. and Motz Ave., here.

By the way, I got to say hello to West Lincoln's Mack George who was at the game. He seems like a nice kid even though he looks like a man. One of the old Wolves said he was a wrestler at West. It seems like you might have mentioned this before...All the best to The Red Devils championship wrestling team which I know you will follow.

Friday, I also talked with Xavier McLean's Mother at Ingle's Market. He is #34 and a sophomore. She said he was going to wrestle. She also told me he was an honors student and a good kid. This year, I'm going to make it a point to watch some high school wrestling...

My Mother was a wrestling fan but that was the WWE.I bought a television with enhanced sound, since she could not hear well and REFUSED to use a hearing aid which she had. She would turn it to maximum capacity and you could hear it out in the street. These young guys that have sound systems in their cars would have been drowned out by the loudness of the television and her watching WWE. She would get so upset her hands would shake, her breathing would become rapid and she would have dizzy spells. Family and neighbors would tell me not to let her watch it for fear of stroke but how in the devil (no pun intended) do you tell a ninety something year old adult they can't watch TV. She lived to be almost 94, so it didn't hurt her too badly.

91, that's an interesting post. I had heard he did this at Shelby and some didn't like it, but I agree with you, he is passionate about what he does.

Thanks for the level head, GDG. Our press box crew is very professional, and you will never hear them screaming on the p.a. during the play, cheerleading or playing nasty music during the huddle... All things alive and we'll in our conference...

You will, however, note that none of them even approach being casual observers, and are in fact, some of our most passionate fans. Occasionally, in high moments, they will throw in a few extra wolf howls, or play special music... I am certain 'Da Bomb Droppa' knows that his post-game celebrations and vocality before, during and after games arouse competitive passions in others.

I am cool with Beam doing whatever he thinks he needs to do to get his players to play. he appears to be a great motivator, but I am not a fan of post game celebrations that rub it in on beaten opponents. If he dropped the bomb after losses, I may call it a ritual... Not a fan, but he probably isn't a fan of our bell, or our howl...

I missed the snippet of the song Lincolnton describes, and am terribly disappointed! I was too busy complaining that the Press Box Crew had stopped the wolf howl after only two howls...

I will compliment the NC faithful who came out and endured a long, cold night next to Clark's Creek...good fans! Glad the SD7 is back! I respect your program greatly. I will even pull for your football team again someday when Da Bomber moves on. Sorry! (I don't claim to be professional)

And...no disrespect to Lincolnton, either. He is the best among us!

This post was edited on 11/16 5:05 PM by AlwaysAWolf

AlwaysAWolf, good post and I respect you being honest. I'm looking forward to seeing a rematch of the Lincoln County rivals if it happens. I will be there again. It should be a more competitive game. Cloninger has a way of getting his teams better as the season progresses. I wish they could have been in different classifications again representing the SD7.

Lincoln County owned Catawba County again this season. That's two years of being our daddy. But hey we'll keep kicking that but in wrestling and basketball.

Last night Newton-Conover won another North Carolina state soccer title. That's 10 team titles in eight years. Titletown is what we like to call it. Add six or seven individual titles in those eight years and that's 16 new banners. Hopefully the athletes will come back to the football program to help in the near future.

GDG, congratulations to you and Newton-Conover on another title. I've seen all those accolades on the side of the building.Very impressive.

TGt- yes they did and almost every year I can remember. Many have kicked in college. This years kicked Friday night and then headed to Raleigh for the championship.

Congrats to N-C on winning a state soccer title...In Reidsville soccer is like the red headed step child.....Zero coverage by the media and only parents go to the games...I could not tell you whether Reidsville even won a soccer game this year or any of the scores but if I to bet, I would guess they won only a couple of games...Girls soccer is pretty good around here...they make the playoffs routinely....but boys soccer is pitiful and nobody really cares....Football rules the roost..............

N-C is the standard in soccer, for sure. I always learned alot watching your teams, boys and girls. Soccer, played by talented athletes who play as a team, is a cool thing to watch. I am assuming that was the formula this year as well...

I would think the West Lincoln crowd would have something to say regarding the Wrestling, but I'm particularly ignorant in the expectations for this year, for that sport.

I am glad that the sky didn't actually fall at N-C. A couple of your posters last year seemed to believe the end was near for all athletics, because you had a bad football year. I knew you'd be OK. Then you went out and hired...I won't say it!
confused0010.r191677.gif

Good luck to you in basketball. Hope we don't see you on the hardwood for about a month.

Back to back champion Newton preseason ranking is #2, West Lincoln is very close at #5. Will be tough for N-C this year AlwaysAWolf.

The Bomb is back in the ammo storage after week one. Hopefully Lincoln County will make our conference a state champion. I will support whoever makes that title run.

Poor West...it's their thing, you know.

Well, lemme think- Ya'll cant beat Mack George!

( I feel a liitle weak that I can't fall back on anything but promoting another school's kid. But he's good, so I'll stick with it.)

And thanks for the support. And civilized banter without threats, bullying or consternation. Later.

Mack George is a man amongst boys. Wrestling and football. Second title for Mack George is coming. West Lincoln is still a power, just hasn't been able to get by Newton for eight years in the playoffs.

Last time we came to Lincolnton to wrestle your 170 LB kid was getting pinned and bit our guy trying to take a chunk out of his chest. After the pin he was ejected from the gym and suspended from matches. Our kid had to get medical treatment. It looked nasty. Man, Wolves really are vicious creatures LOL.

I have a feeling we will see a different secondary result if both East Lincoln and Lincolnton square off. Adjustments have been made, it's a Cloninger trademark. It's going to take a heck of a coach to replace that man. You guys better stay involved in the hiring process. I here the right man is already there and everyone knows it. Believe me a bad hire could spell disaster for a team. Lincolnton needs a Byus type person who is not afraid to let others help manage the process. Cloninger is that type of guy but has the final say.

Maybe Beam has his eye on that job. LOL. He is a Lincoln County guy after all. Drop some bombs and throw in some howling to The Gap Band.

You know you love him, admit it AlwaysAWolf. He's kin folk.

By the way Lincolton fans. Just how many Littlejohns do you have in that city? Good lord. Has there ever been a Lincolnton High without one?

Originally posted by Godevilsgo:
Mack George is a man amongst boys. Wrestling and football. Second title for Mack George is coming. West Lincoln is still a power, just hasn't been able to get by Newton for eight years in the playoffs.

Last time we came to Lincolnton to wrestle your 170 LB kid was getting pinned and bit our guy trying to take a chunk out of his chest. After the pin he was ejected from the gym and suspended from matches. Our kid had to get medical treatment. It looked nasty. Man, Wolves really are vicious creatures LOL.

I have a feeling we will see a different secondary result if both East Lincoln and Lincolnton square off. Adjustments have been made, it's a Cloninger trademark. It's going to take a heck of a coach to replace that man. You guys better stay involved in the hiring process. I here the right man is already there and everyone knows it. Believe me a bad hire could spell disaster for a team. Lincolnton needs a Byus type person who is not afraid to let others help manage the process. Cloninger is that type of guy but has the final say.

Maybe Beam has his eye on that job. LOL. He is a Lincoln County guy after all. Drop some bombs and throw in some howling to The Gap Band.

You know you love him, admit it AlwaysAWolf. He's kin folk.
Kin folk. Ow. I left the board for a week and came back to that? Well-played.

Funny you mention it...his name has come up in the rumor pool for our opening...thanks all the same, but we're good.

Did you start that ugly rumor, Devil? That would keep you folks from strapping on your cheerleader oufits and falling on the ground, after all...

And Littlejohns? A fine local family with a proclivity for producing athletes. Loyal and true folks, who bleed Black and Gold. Keep 'em coming.

No I'm not starting that rumor. Don't think there is enough love for Beam in Lincolnton for him to return to Lincoln County. But he is a local guy from East Lincoln. Not much love for him this year at the East Lincoln game. The fans did not like his conversations with the refs.

Lincolnton has what three Littlejohns on the team this year? Looks like the talent pool is set for a number of years. Littlejohn is a well known name in Lincolnton sports. Some really fine football players and a couple very good basketball players. I know the future is bright for the Wolves. Reloading is a common happening at the school. I see both East and Lincolnton as the top two teams to beat again next year.

I can't wait for Friday night. Whoever wins will rep the SD7 well. I will attend and think it will be a close game if Lincolnton can keep the turnovers in check. I will not predict an outcome, I don't think there is a clear favorite. I just hope Easter is ok. The kid has been an excellent leader tthe last two years.

I don't choose my seats based on who I pull for. But if those hefty women on the the East Lincoln side sit in the handicapped single seat section I am going to go off. Fat don't mean handicapped. Last time I was there it translated into the equivalent of the lunar eclipse, in other words one blocked the entire field. But at least when the fat lady sang she was in the right spot (N-C game).

Short answer- this week I am a Lincolnton fan. If they do not pull out the win, next week I am a East Lincoln fan. SD7 all the way. Maybe Cloninger retires having played in another title game. That would be a grand exit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT