ADVERTISEMENT

Schools NOT Fielding Basketball Teams (Girls or Boys)

new_dawg

Dec 20, 2003
Albemarle NC
What traditional public schools are NOT offering girls or boys basketball teams this season? I know that South Stanly (1A) did not have enough interest for a girls' team, and in looking at the RPI ratings, it appears that West Caldwell (2A) also is not offering one. Are there any schools that don't have a boy's team?

I can understand not fielding football or baseball/softball because of the number of players needed. But it seems any school with more than 20-25 girls or boys enrolled ought to be able to find 7 or 8 who would want to play.

Any idea what might be the cause of this lack of interest? I'm sure the pandemic might scare some parents away from allowing their kids to play, but surely that's not the whole thing.

Nantahala doesn’t have a boys team this year, which is crazy to think that they were one of the better teams in the 1A west for several years about a decade ago and don’t have a team right now. I wouldn’t say lack of interest, as much as lack of students. They might have 20 boys in their high school in a normal year, think they’ve had a few small classes in a row and you can count the number of boys in the high school on your fingers this year. It will cycle back around though.

I believe there are some that don’t field a JV girls like I believe HR doesn’t field a JV girls this season

Reactions: WASSUP54
It looks like half the Metro 8 1A conference doesn't have a girls team this year. They aren't Nantahala sized schools, either--charter schools around Charlotte.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT