ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite years of basketball

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
I always will revert back to the 78/79 season of South Iredell Boys basketball and 1980 girls basketball. The talent they had was something else. 79’ season boys season could play together as team and handle the ball best of any of the South teams I seen. ‘80 girls season had triplets playing along with an older sister on the team as well. Sherry Cash at Center. I edited this post as of 1/10/23. But Sherry Cash is the 2nd highest scorer at South Iredell with 2,127 points. The late Ann Ellis is the highest scorer. I think Ann has 2,166 points. They were hard to beat.
What was your favorite year for your team of watching HS basketball.

Last edited:
Bandys Girls and Boys in the 80's and early 90's. Loaded with talent and great coaches as well. Lincoln Charter Boys 2015-22. Very dominate and only lost like 10 games and won a state championship and regional finals in all of those years. Great players and great coaching as well.
The old SD-7 was tough in Boys during 80's-90's. Even West Lincoln had players like Housers, etc that could fill it up. Newton-Conover had a run of talent with in late 80's early 90's. I remember in the early 90's Bandys, NC, BHHS, Maiden all battled each year with someone representing SD-7 each year for 3-4 years straight in the Finals or Regionals. All I got....

Nantahala 2009/10. Less than 50 students, traditional school. Half the boys in the school on the team. Some years—including last year—they can’t even field a team. Those years, they took Terry Whisnant (future FSU Seminole) and Cherryville to 2OT in sectional final the first year, then made regionals and took Hendersonville to the final shot the next year. If you like rooting for the underdog, I don’t know that there will ever be anything like it.

Last edited:
Nantahala 2009/10. Less than 50 students, traditional school. Half the boys in the school on the team. Some years—including last year—they can’t even field a team. Those years, they took Terry Whisnant (future FSU Seminole) and Cherryville to 2OT in sectional final the first year, then made regionals and took Hendersonville to the final shot the next year. If you like rooting for the underdog, I don’t know that there will ever be anything like it.
I remember that Nantahala team. Watched that game between them and Hendo at UNCG. They had a really good player by the name of Josh Griffith.

My favorite time was the mid 2000's. Watched two of the greatest teams ever (IMO), the 2004 Trinity Bulldogs and the 2005 Pisgah Black Bears. Also had the 2007 Concord Spiders with one of the best duo's ever in Dee Bost and Lance Lewis. The Dudley and Kinston teams were really good during that time as well. I can't forget the Thomasville juggernaut in 1-A either.

On the girls side, you had both the Thomasville and the High Point Central juggernauts. You also had some of the best teams ever in Eastern Randolph history. Those were some fun times to be a high school basketball fan.

My favorite time was the mid 2000's.

On the girls side, you had both the Thomasville and the High Point Central juggernauts. You also had some of the best teams ever in Eastern Randolph history. Those were some fun times to be a high school basketball fan.
Asheville High girls were also something else in that era. Rashanda McCants (UNC/WNBA) alongside a 6-5 center and a shooter who was a good player at WCU. Watched them beat High Point Central in 2004 at regionals in a good game.

2002 was pretty neat when Thomasville girls won 1A, Ledford girls 2A and HP Central 3A and all schools are about ten minutes apart.
There were some really good matchups when Ledford and Hp Central we’re in the same conference and they were powerhouses late 90s early 2000s.

Asheville was fun to watch-Burgin was the solid 6-5 post player. She went on to play at Unc Charlotte. They were huge for a Hs girls team.

I still think the HP Central 2001 team is one of the best public HS girls teams I’ve seen play in NC. All 5 of their starters went to play D1 their fresh yr of college.

1993-94, Freedom's dual state title season. Boys won their first ever title beating Cary and then the girls wore out a Fayetteville Sanford team that featured a girl who would go on to star at UConn by 30 points. There was a lot of red in Chapel Hill that day and the Pats and Lady Pats made all those people happy.
Was that the Rogers, Largent, Mims team or was that a few years later?

I can remember around year 77/78 Mooresville was loaded with some good talent. I think they won the conference that year. I wish there were some YouTube or videos that could be seen on these teams. North Iredell was good around about that time, then Mooresville and South. Iredell in 78/79 season.

1993-94, Freedom's dual state title season. Boys won their first ever title beating Cary and then the girls wore out a Fayetteville Sanford team that featured a girl who would go on to star at UConn by 30 points. There was a lot of red in Chapel Hill that day and the Pats and Lady Pats made all those people happy.
Shea Ralph was the future UConn star. She's been an assistant coach there for quite a while.

Shea Ralph was the future UConn star. She's been an assistant coach there for quite a while.
Yeah, I couldn't remember her name, but I do remember that she fouled out and that only her and one other girl scored for Fayetteville Sanford in that game. We beat them 80-51 and played the bench warmers for large parts of the fourth quarter. That Lady Patriot team had three girls who would play D1 basketball and another who would play D2, it was one of our best ever. One other player could have played at a high level but chose to focus on academics at UNC and is a dentist in Morganton today. Her daughter is playing for this year's Lady Patriot team.

I’m just going to use this thread. I could use some help here. Anyone especially up in the mountain area. I believe Erwin girls won the 3A State finals in 1980. But I’m trying to find out who they beat in the Regionals. If I’m not mistaken did they possibly beat South Iredell. I pretty sure South Iredell girls went undefeated until they got knocked out in the Big 3A tournament. Any help appreciated. I can’t find any info on internet that far back.

Reactions: FreedomAlum
I’m just going to use this thread. I could use some help here. Anyone especially up in the mountain area. I believe Erwin girls won the 3A State finals in 1980. But I’m trying to find out who they beat in the Regionals. If I’m not mistaken did they possibly beat South Iredell. I pretty sure South Iredell girls went undefeated until they got knocked out in the Big 3A tournament. Any help appreciated. I can’t find any info on internet that far back.
This doesn't exactly address your question, but according to https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/defaul...BKB Western Regional Appearances 10122022.pdf South Iredell's girls have made one regional appearance, in 1991, and they have an 0-1 record in the Western Regionals.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Reactions: FreedomAlum
Shea played with my niece on a powerhouse AAU team. Also had Loretta Lawson, who twice lead the country in three point shooting at Elon. Think they finished second nationally in AAU that year. Shea was a superstar, even then. National high school player of the year. Her mom was a star at UNC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT