ADVERTISEMENT

Safety or penalty, but not both?

recycled2

Feb 15, 2012
In a recent game a punt snap sailed over the punters head. He chased it and on the 8 yd line kicked the ball out of the end zone. A flag was thrown. I think the receiving team should be allowed the choice of a safety or the ball on the 4 after the enforced penalty. The official awarded the safety and enforced the penalty on the free kick. What is correct?

This exact same thing happened to us when we played Asheville last year. Snap went over the head of punter, he kicked it out of end zone and penalty was assessed on free kick. I thought if you accept the penalty it would be marked off from spot of foul or half the distance to goal since it was inside the 5 in our case. It really cost us because we lost that game 6-5. Yes you read that right 6-5! Had we gotten the ball at spot of foul we could have or would have probably scored at TD. Maybe our thinking is wrong and it was assessed correctly since it seems both crews did the same thing.

Reactions: recycled2
In a recent game a punt snap sailed over the punters head. He chased it and on the 8 yd line kicked the ball out of the end zone. A flag was thrown. I think the receiving team should be allowed the choice of a safety or the ball on the 4 after the enforced penalty. The official awarded the safety and enforced the penalty on the free kick. What is correct?
No penalty causes a team to lose possession, so no, the receiving team does not get the ball at the 4.
The options are:
1- the result if the play which is a safety or
2- replay the down after assessing the penalty from the 8y/l.

This exact same thing happened to us when we played Asheville last year. Snap went over the head of punter, he kicked it out of end zone and penalty was assessed on free kick. I thought if you accept the penalty it would be marked off from spot of foul or half the distance to goal since it was inside the 5 in our case. It really cost us because we lost that game 6-5. Yes you read that right 6-5! Had we gotten the ball at spot of foul we could have or would have probably scored at TD. Maybe our thinking is wrong and it was assessed correctly since it seems both crews did the same thing.
It was assessed incorrectly AND your thinking is wrong. 😉
The down would be replayed. You wouldn’t get the ball at the spot.

It was assessed incorrectly AND your thinking is wrong. 😉
The down would be replayed. You wouldn’t get the ball at the spot.
I’m sure we wouldn’t have accepted that penalty if it would have been a replay of down after penalty enforcement. I assume the official told our coaches decline or accept and get safety and 5 yards on free kick. Definitely not enforced correctly. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: FBRef
Will have to remember this line, "No penalty causes a team to lose possession"....saw a play like this in Cedar Ridge/South Granville game in 2006 and was afraid that CR would get a 1st & Goal and instead they took the 2 points from the safety and SG kicked it away from the 20

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT