ADVERTISEMENT

Running up the score?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need. Did they score 85 running their 4th stringers up the gut? Not a lot you can do about that if that is the case. But there was one team throwing for a TD up 57-7 with 37 seconds to go. No place in the game for that.

No need. Did they score 85 running their 4th stringers up the gut? Not a lot you can do about that if that is the case. But there was one team throwing for a TD up 57-7 with 37 seconds to go. No place in the game for that.

What team threw a touchdown pass with that much time left up 57-7? Looking at the scores the only one I can see is maybe MIC?

Yes, according to multiple sources, MIC did it. I can say that WM has scored in the 70's multiple times over the years and that's with the JV team running the same play over and over in the second half. Sometimes, it can't be helped in 1A. But, that is running the same play, straight up the gut and the backups and JV's scoring. Should not be running sweeps, reverses, or passing in my humble opinion in those circumstances. It happened Friday night. We lost a very talented back up running back with a broken arm in the 4th quarter because we were running the same play over and over and the defense knew what was coming. Scoring 80 would have proven nothing.

I coached in a game one time and it was 84-0. We ran the ball up the middle every play in the 2nd half, most of it with a kid I to this day don't even know his name or where he came from lol. The clock would have lowered that score. Sometimes it can't really be helped unless you just take a knee. And I'd rather play than that happen if I was on the opposing team or the coach of it.

I would just hate to see something stupid happen because of a greedy coach and there next round opponent get a bye into the next round after all the hard work the winning team has done. 85 to 0 and 77 to 0 is not showing great sportsmanship.

I guess with a fairly new school and team they have yet to learn about sportsmanship. Bunch of spoiled kids that will learn the hard way. Ot maybe that is the only play in the playbook

Been on both sides of these kind of games. One year, we scored 86 points and was running the ball with 5th and 6th string RBs who were 130 pounds. We ran straight dive plays.

This is getting sad. Regardless of the fact people will find ways to take shots at this team. I've saw plenty of basketball numbers all year with not a word said but because who it is people are upset. I don't care about the play call you have to stop it. Early this year a team went for 2 up by 60 on a team that hasn't won a game in 4 years and not one word said.

I was at the game. What I saw was most of the 4th quarter they ran the ball with a freshmen RB that the other team could not stop. In fact the entire last series was dive runs with the freshman. The last play was a a jet sweep pass forward that should have easily been stopped. About 6 missed tackles on that play. I'm a firm believer that if you don't like a team to score STOP IT!

A 2-8 playoff team is weird to start with. I'm sure if any of the teams put 60 on mic none of the fans will cry foul. Shoot last year they got beat 99-0 in 2 game with no knee being taken or starters being taken out. No one cried foul in mic defense. mic took the beating and moved on. This team will live and die by the style of ball they play. A quick up tempo team that don't take knees. Hate it or love it this is the brand of ball they have always played. I respect that fact that they stay with a identity. I said this before I don't believe this team will beat Murphy. I've seen both teams play this year. The mic season will end 3rd round

Alot of these high scores are due to the mind set in football now teams are judged for what you can put on the board. have been on both sides of it and was wanting it to hurry up both ways. But never felt the winning teams should just quit more shame in that imo. I would prefer to earn my whooping. In the immortal words of a football great offense sells tickets and defense wins championships

This is getting sad. Regardless of the fact people will find ways to take shots at this team. I've saw plenty of basketball numbers all year with not a word said but because who it is people are upset. I don't care about the play call you have to stop it. Early this year a team went for 2 up by 60 on a team that hasn't won a game in 4 years and not one word said.

I was at the game. What I saw was most of the 4th quarter they ran the ball with a freshmen RB that the other team could not stop. In fact the entire last series was dive runs with the freshman. The last play was a a jet sweep pass forward that should have easily been stopped. About 6 missed tackles on that play. I'm a firm believer that if you don't like a team to score STOP IT!

A 2-8 playoff team is weird to start with. I'm sure if any of the teams put 60 on mic none of the fans will cry foul. Shoot last year they got beat 99-0 in 2 game with no knee being taken or starters being taken out. No one cried foul in mic defense. mic took the beating and moved on. This team will live and die by the style of ball they play. A quick up tempo team that don't take knees. Hate it or love it this is the brand of ball they have always played. I respect that fact that they stay with a identity. I said this before I don't believe this team will beat Murphy. I've seen both teams play this year. The mic season will end 3rd round

I certainly think context is important, and that there's a difference between a screen pass or jet sweep or something and a deep route in that situation. But I think MIC lost the benefit of the doubt from a lot of people due to posts all week from a MIC fan claiming they'd be throwing bombs up 40.

Last edited:
I heard nothing of them being beaten 99-0 last year. Had I heard about it I would have condemned that too. If you keep that stop it mentality that the pros use in dealing with 15 year olds, you will never garner any respect no matter how much you win. You also have a fan or two around stoking the flames on various sites as well. Not doing themselves or the team any favors. You said it yourself, a team that misses 6 tackles DON'T HAVE THE SKILLS to stop it. They are 2-9 for a reason. So running something to score is just rubbing their nose in it.

observer- I'm surprised people have not picked up on it yet. The poster is a troll that is stirring the pot on purpose. He is not a mic fan nor do anyone no who he is. Mic people have spoken out about it but people continue to entertain the poster. I choose not to go on that site because it's getting out of hand on both sides.

WMFan- Let's be straight here it's nothing this group can do to garner respect.They know that. Being a nontraditional new team that has experienced some success in a league that has been very vocal or worried about a nontraditional team winning a championship will get you no fans. I can say this has done nothing but add fuel to this team.They know how to take a beaten with no complaints last year showed that. If a team punches them in the mouth they will take it and move on. If they go up to murphy and get smacked this group will take it and shake hands.

Sorry smoking guns. I didn't even know about mic until this post. I was talking about a couple of teams in the east. Go look up the scores I posted.

I see it happening more each year and also in basketball. I'm sorry, i'm old school. No respect. You can make the statements all you want about Stop it or your record is not deserving of being there but well respected coaches will do the right thing. I will not make any judgements on this team because I wasn't there but one day the shoe could be on the other foot.

We're not talking 5 minutes. We're talking about 37 sec with a running clock. Nothing wrong with taking a knee and calling it a night, up 57-8. I totally agree with Wildcat.

I see it happening more each year and also in basketball. I'm sorry, i'm old school. No respect. You can make the statements all you want about Stop it or your record is not deserving of being there but well respected coaches will do the right thing. I will not make any judgements on this team because I wasn't there but one day the shoe could be on the other foot.

Yeah that shoe was on the other foot for this team last year. Like I posted before 99-0 in 2 games with no knee. It's up on maxpreps. Not a peep because they wasn't winning and wasn't seen as a threat. I understand the argument and forseen concern about a nontraditional team possibly winning a 1A championship. People maybe quick to label this team as that and now everyone is piling on. The consistent underline tone and questioning of coaching, plays, ect sounds hiding within a different argument.

Totally get the old school approach but the problem I have is being consistent and not picking a certain group out that you want to question coaches, plays, players, ect. This has happened more than people want to admit but the fact who it is becomes the problem. Trying to tell someone how to win is just pointless to me. No matter how this group wins or loses it will be a bunch complaining for the fact who it is a nontraditional school.

I was at the game and the other team was stacking the box. So you want them to run up the gut with a freshman RB with a stacked box? For clarification the play was technically a pass but it was a forward jet sweep to get to the outside avoiding the blitz. This team is damn if they do damn if they don't. All which has added fuel to this group. Sometimes the piling on, figure pointing and singling out has the reverse effect. People don't want the nontraditional school in the traditional playoffs we all get it. Jesus, John, Joseph and Mary I tell you.

We're not talking 5 minutes. We're talking about 37 sec with a running clock. Nothing wrong with taking a knee and calling it a night, up 57-8. I totally agree with Wildcat.

You supposed to agree and you won't stop agreeing until all the nontraditional schools is playing a different playoffs. I’m in favorite of a separate playoffs with nontraditional school. Maybe this will cut out all the same tired and recycled points. All I see is the same argument masked in different forms.

It doesn't matter what team it is,or if they are stacking the box,or what the score is.If you are leading in that situation you take a knee,every time.It's the last play of the game,time will expire.Show some class,whatever happened last year it wasn't Andrews that did it.

Yeah that shoe was on the other foot for this team last year. Like I posted before 99-0 in 2 games with no knee. It's up on maxpreps. Not a peep because they wasn't winning and wasn't seen as a threat. I understand the argument and forseen concern about a nontraditional team possibly winning a 1A championship. People maybe quick to label this team as that and now everyone is piling on. The consistent underline tone and questioning of coaching, plays, ect sounds hiding within a different argument.

Totally get the old school approach but the problem I have is being consistent and not picking a certain group out that you want to question coaches, plays, players, ect. This has happened more than people want to admit but the fact who it is becomes the problem. Trying to tell someone how to win is just pointless to me. No matter how this group wins or loses it will be a bunch complaining for the fact who it is a nontraditional school.

I was at the game and the other team was stacking the box. So you want them to run up the gut with a freshman RB with a stacked box? For clarification the play was technically a pass but it was a forward jet sweep to get to the outside avoiding the blitz. This team is damn if they do damn if they don't. All which has added fuel to this group. Sometimes the piling on, figure pointing and singling out has the reverse effect. People don't want the nontraditional school in the traditional playoffs we all get it. Jesus, John, Joseph and Mary I tell you.
Well your probably right. I have to agree. BUT the traditional have a solid point. In Cherokee County we only have 26000 in population. A good portion of those are seasonal homes with retirees. We have 3 schools out of this population with Hiwassee Dam with 180 students, Andrews with 240 and Murphy with 495. They can only pull kids into their schools from within their small rural districts. Now you tell me why we wouldn't think this is not fair. Look at the population you have to draw from. I'm sorry, it's just how we look at it.

It doesn't matter what team it is,or if they are stacking the box,or what the score is.If you are leading in that situation you take a knee,every time.It's the last play of the game,time will expire.Show some class,whatever happened last year it wasn't Andrews that did it.

Everyone doesn't have that philosophy and just because it doesn't match up with your normal way of thinking doesn't make it classless. Could the philosophy be questioned sure if it's inconsistent. This team has done that all year no matter the team. What I see is a team that runs it's offense all 4 quarters and plays rhythm ball no matter what the clock says. I would never question a coach philosophy with out understanding the mindset. I know this is a football fan forum but I think we can all agree if you coach high school football in NC it's not a lot in it other than the players. These coaches spend a lot time a way from family and usually don't get paid a lot for the time they spend. I'm a fan and respect whoever takes on that task regardless of the philosophy.

Last edited:
Well your probably right. I have to agree. BUT the traditional have a solid point. In Cherokee County we only have 26000 in population. A good portion of those are seasonal homes with retirees. We have 3 schools out of this population with Hiwassee Dam with 180 students, Andrews with 240 and Murphy with 495. They can only pull kids into their schools from within their small rural districts. Now you tell me why we wouldn't think this is not fair. Look at the population you have to draw from. I'm sorry, it's just how we look at it.

I'm all in with your point and agree. They should look to separate in the playoffs. Let the teams play in the regular season conference but bracket them different. I never said it wasn't a advantage and it shouldn't be separate. I didn't like the piling on. Traditional schools should stand together and come up with a unified proposal. You would be surprised how many nontraditional schools would be in favor of this.

I've coached....I've trained soldiers....I've trained business leaders.....bottom line what is being taught to young teens/your target audience.....win without regard to others?....teach empathy to create a better understanding?....are you teaching others a world view or "I WIN" at all cost mindset......I've been on both sides.....just saying

I've coached....I've trained soldiers....I've trained business leaders.....bottom line what is being taught to young teens/your target audience.....win without regard to others?....teach empathy to create a better understanding?....are you teaching others a world view or "I WIN" at all cost mindset......I've been on both sides.....just saying

I see you point. I've always been careful on judging others from a distance. I live in this area and graduated hs from this area. This is not the case with this group. This group does more for the community and preaching education then anyone I have seen. Since you have been on both sides you would know it's something in losing any type of way. Sometimes life beat you down but I don't see life letting up either. So it's two ways to look at it. Football aside since we're on the subject of teaching. I read that they had over 75 percent of the players on honor roll. I see the players all ways volunteering in the community. This is what true empathy is about not only letting off of someone in a football game. Not saying this is your point but many with this point have the "participation award" mindset.

How about the fact that that team down 57-8 tried an onside kick with 2 minutes left? If they recovered the onside kick were they going to take an knee?

How about the fact that that team down 57-8 tried an onside kick with 2 minutes left? If they recovered the onside kick were they going to take an knee?
Doesn't matter. Was Andrews going to score 49 points in two minutes? MICS should have taken a knee and ran out the clock. No excuses. Also, why was the first string still in the game at that point for MICS? Can't wait to see them come to Murphy in two weeks, assuming there are no major upsets before then.

Reactions: Warrior'77
Doesn't matter. Was Andrews going to score 49 points in two minutes? MICS should have taken a knee and ran out the clock. No excuses. Also, why was the first string still in the game at that point for MICS? Can't wait to see them come to Murphy in two weeks, assuming there are no major upsets before then.

How many times and different ways can you say you believe they ran up the score? This is getting to the point of overkill and the fact that you wasn't at the game makes it worst. I'm with majority that believe Murphy will beat mic but I don't have to keep repeating it. If a person has to keep repeating something they may be trying to fool themselves. All I'm saying is be careful what you ask for. I have seen both teams play this year and I believe Murphy is the better overall team.

I will continue to stand on this point. This team will not be popular amongst traditional 1a fans/teams they beat and it's no way around it. If they win you will cry foul and if they lose we showed them. At the end of the day this is just hs football. The consistent piling on singling out and pointing fingers is no different then that nut job that was posting on the other site. That in fact was not even a mic fan but others choose to keep entertaining him as if he was. It's week 2 of the playoffs it's time to move on.

I might be a little over the top, but if you don't want to get beat 65+-0 then be better in the weight room, be better prepared for the game. I don't see a reason that another team should try and create a safe space on a football field for another team just because they are that much better than the other team.

But also on the flip side, in HS football when up by 45 at half there is a running clock that does not stop for anything. If a the coach allows a running clock with over 9 min to go in the second quarter isn't that showing mercy for the other team? The running clock in the first half must be agreed upon by both coach's, so the coach that is up does not have to allow the running clock in the first half if they do not wish too. (speaking about the East Carteret game from Friday, saw it in our local paper).

I might be a little over the top, but if you don't want to get beat 65+-0 then be better in the weight room, be better prepared for the game. I don't see a reason that another team should try and create a safe space on a football field for another team just because they are that much better than the other team.

This is 1A High School Football! C'Mon Man!

Reactions: WMFootballFanatic
This is 1A High School Football! C'Mon Man!

Each team has time in the offseason to prep for the season. Each team gets game film and can prep for the game.

I have been on both sides of the game with scores like that when I played, I dont believe in telling kids you need to stop scoring because the other team cant stop the players. What kind of message would a coach be sending to his kids if he looks at them and says " well guys the other team is really bad, lets not score on them anymore and be nice to them.''

I mean really swampstomp, thats how you wants sports played these days? How about in the old days before the clock rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT