ADVERTISEMENT

Sportsmanship

MEDICEMTP

Sep 26, 2023
To some of the Draughn fans that came to Heritage last night we could hear your yelling and cursing at the refs all night. Never seen such poor sportsmanship . You know a ref makes a bad call in a one score game maybe you have a valid complaint but really ???? The refs at fault in a blow out clock running game ?? Don’t think that was your problem.

Last edited:
To all the Draughn fans that came to Heritage last night we could hear your yelling and cursing at the refs all night. Never seen such poor sportsmanship . You know a ref makes a bad call in a one score game maybe you have a valid complaint but really ???? The refs at fault in a blow out clock running game ?? Don’t think that was your problem.
That’s so true.

To some of the Draughn fans that came to Heritage last night we could hear your yelling and cursing at the refs all night. Never seen such poor sportsmanship . You know a ref makes a bad call in a one score game maybe you have a valid complaint but really ???? The refs at fault in a blow out clock running game ?? Don’t think that was your problem.
Oh yeah showing those true colors. Let's hope they get to the mountain heritage game for another whipping..

You know they got bad fans and poor sportsmanship to make all of Mitchell County pull for the green team. Usually when the scores are announced at the Mitchell game you hear a cheer if the green team is losing. Last night everyone was cheering because they were winning. Most dispised team in the mountains.

True!!!!!!! It’s embarrassing for some! Refs didn’t lose that game for us! We got our arse hand to us!!!

To add to it, adults are doing a piss poor job of being adults and modeling positive behavior right now. This is not exclusive to sports either.

I mean seriously, what does yelling, cussing, and berating an official accomplish? It certainly can't make anyone feel better.

It's amazing people want to complain about how kids act but refuse to acknowledge where they get their behavior from.
Correct there is a team nearby who has a kid that got thrown out of knee game and could of another. But he's learning from his dad who is a coach for that team. This coach talks junk and cusses to opposing teams players. Super vulgar. And to kids. Not yelling for his own team but talking junk to others teams kids. That's a capital no no. Heard the other coaches think he's a joke and he won't be around next year. Good riddance. Yet the people blame the kid.

Yeah at Andrews. I'm surprised nothing has been put in place to cull the people who come to games and can't keep their mouth shut like the Draughn fans. There's yelling at the refs and then there's just being flat out rude and unhinged.
It's ok let them meet Mitchell. Or better yet let them get smacked around by number 32 of MA again. They keep it shut then.

Reactions: Swain97
What I didn't understand like the game between Draughn @ Mitchell with like a 1:38 left in the game it was won they had the ball with all the starters and not just running the ball to maybe get one first down to take a knee they passed the ball and call a time out. You didn't know the score and just saw the time you'd think they were running a 2 minute drill to win the game. But it wasn't until time had gone and they could tell they weren't going to score that they finally took a knee. Stuff like that burns me up and it doesn't even make sense as far as your team what if their starting QB or RB had been injured?

Yeah at Andrews. I'm surprised nothing has been put in place to cull the people who come to games and can't keep their mouth shut like the Draughn fans. There's yelling at the refs and then there's just being flat out rude and unhinged.
My son got to that game late and had to go stand on fence with some of his friends who are on the local Fire Dept/ Rescue Squad which was on the Draughn side of field near the end zone. When he got there his friends were talking about how the Draughn fans had been cussing at them and talking a lot of trash. I guess they have never won much because they sure didn’t show any class

And this thread is an example of why there is a shortage of officials. Could they pay y’all enough to get cussed and berated by half a stadium every time you make a call?
I have always said if a person can call a game from the stands then they would be a hell of and official or umpire on the field or court!!!!

And this thread is an example of why there is a shortage of officials. Could they pay y’all enough to get cussed and berated by half a stadium every time you make a call?
At my sons D3 game yesterday you can stand in the back of the endzone at the stadium. A lot people bring chairs and sit in the endzones. We were in OT. One of Belhaven LB was bad to crab the WR and hold pulling on the jersey. Several fans were getting onto the Ref. The Back referee started running his mouth to fans. Told one fan he needs to start reffing and kept running his mouth. Blew my mind. If you are a ref you can’t interact with fans. You signed up for it especially at College football. I told him he was doing fine but I also said you can’t interact with fans you got to let go. The ref was acting like he wanted to fight. He didn’t stick around after we stopped them on 4th down in OT. They have a social media guy this year doing stuff. Here’s the coach after the OT win.

At my sons D3 game yesterday you can stand in the back of the endzone at the stadium. A lot people bring chairs and sit in the endzones. We were in OT. One of Belhaven LB was bad to crab the WR and hold pulling on the jersey. Several fans were getting onto the Ref. The Back referee started running his mouth to fans. Told one fan he needs to start reffing and kept running his mouth. Blew my mind. If you are a ref you can’t interact with fans. You signed up for it especially at College football. I told him he was doing fine but I also said you can’t interact with fans you got to let go. The ref was acting like he wanted to fight. He didn’t stick around after we stopped them on 4th down in OT. They have a social media guy this year doing stuff. Here’s the coach after the OT win.

While I agree no official should ever interact with fans I have to disagree with your other point. No official at any level “signs up for” being cursed, berated or belittled. A lot of fans figure if they pay to get in then they can do those things. You pay for the privilege to watch a sport, not cuss an official. Interacting with fans is a no no but letting them sit in the end zone is probably part of the problem. At least when fans are in stands there is some distance. A man/woman can only take so much before they take up for themselves. We all love it when an athlete stands up for themselves but are critical if an official does same.

They signed up to ref the game not be belittled! Refs don't ming being yelled at it the personal shit that's said that goes too far. Belittled!!!! You said refs are not suppose to talk back to fans and I say that's why people will yell shit at them bc they can't respond. If you do this you are a freaking coward!!!!! Sounds like he was just saying if you can call the game for m the stands you should become a ref bc you are damn good!! It's a dang sport not life! HS and College sports is not the pros. Again it takes a coward to belittle a ref knowing he can't talk back. And I'd the AD would stop this and do there job officials wouldn't have the put up with it. It's one thing to fuss about a call it's another to keep it up and belittle them. Fuss about a call and move on.

They signed up to ref the game not be belittled! Refs don't ming being yelled at it the personal shit that's said that goes too far. Belittled!!!! You said refs are not suppose to talk back to fans and I say that's why people will yell shit at them bc they can't respond. If you do this you are a freaking coward!!!!! Sounds like he was just saying if you can call the game for m the stands you should become a ref bc you are damn good!! It's a dang sport not life! HS and College sports is not the pros. Again it takes a coward to belittle a ref knowing he can't talk back. And I'd the AD would stop this and do there job officials wouldn't have the put up with it. It's one thing to fuss about a call it's another to keep it up and belittle them. Fuss about a call and move on.
Nobody was belittling or cussing the ref. The fan fussed about the no call then a few minutes go. The Back Ref stared the fan down and started running his mouth.

Last edited:
Reactions: thekidd12
While I agree no official should ever interact with fans I have to disagree with your other point. No official at any level “signs up for” being cursed, berated or belittled. A lot of fans figure if they pay to get in then they can do those things. You pay for the privilege to watch a sport, not cuss an official. Interacting with fans is a no no but letting them sit in the end zone is probably part of the problem. At least when fans are in stands there is some distance. A man/woman can only take so much before they take up for themselves. We all love it when an athlete stands up for themselves but are critical if an official does same.
The distance is no different than fans that stand along the fence at high school games. A lot of D3 games are like going to a high school game with way stadiums are. I have never heard the fans that like to stand cuss at refs.

The distance is no different than fans that stand along the fence at high school games. A lot of D3 games are like going to a high school game with way stadiums are. I have never heard the fans that like to stand cuss at refs.
Sorry but I have. At many venues. And I don’t like the current trend, I’ve noticed it at many HS games where fans are seated in the end zones or on tracks that surround many fields. The fence standers at a lot of fields aren’t any closer than stands because most fences are in line with them. In my opinion there needs to be that distance for safety and quite frankly sanity of everyone from fans to players to officials.
Guess my point, in my ramblings, is officials are people too. There’s good, bad and mediocre as they are simply a cross section of society. Yelling at officials, while it may make a fan feel like he/she is aiding “their” team, rarely does. As coach said above a simple discourse will more often than not be much more successful.

Comes with the territory, I would think. I strongly believe that anyone who wants to be a ref understands that friends will come and go during the game, depending on the call lol. Like you said, every call, half the stadium would cuss you out. But the bright side is, the other half would be cheering you. It's probably more of an issue for the people in the stands than to the refs themselves.

Last edited:
Comes with the territory, I would think. I strongly believe that anyone who wants to be a ref understands that friends will come and go during the game, depending on the call lol. Like you said, every call, half the stadium would cuss you out. But the bright side is, the other half would be cheering you. It's probably more of an issue for the people in the stands than the to the refs themselves.
Often it is more of an issue for the fans. Good officials will make the call and not even notice the ruckus because they know they got it right. My point, that I made albeit lengthy, was officials are people and are good, bad and eh…
Also getting older if y’all have noticed. Young guys aren’t knocking down the door to do it.
Oh and my other point was it shouldn’t have to come with the territory.
But unfortunately it does…

Bad shortage in the Country with officials in all sports so we have to admit it's a problem and as the veterans are getting older and retiring are not being replaced with younger officials. It's already been games cancelled and moved bc no officials. Ik baseball and softball in middle school have had just one umpire for many games. It's only going to get worse!

Yes the really good ones could care less what's going on in the stands. We don't have this problem at West Stokes games it's like being at a golf match.lol. I used to play slow pitch softball back in the day and we had some umpires that if you had a mouthy team you would get everything close called against you. I thought it was funny especially on balls and strikes.

Often it is more of an issue for the fans. Good officials will make the call and not even notice the ruckus because they know they got it right. My point, that I made albeit lengthy, was officials are people and are good, bad and eh…
Also getting older if y’all have noticed. Young guys aren’t knocking down the door to do it.
Definitely gonna be a problem with having enough officials once the ones we have now retire. Younger folks think they deserve a starting pay of $30/hr.

Draughn has some really good fans but also have more clowns than most schools. These clowns will turn against their own team if they stop winning. The zebras have a tough job although some fools think it’s easy money and a cushy job.

Reactions: thekidd12
I would say that's the case. And I think that you could tell that football's not the most important thing to those people. I would rather get run over by a train than have that posted on Twitter of my reaction to winning a quadruple overtime game. Along with the close my eyes song. Anyway looks like belhaven is a pretty cool school down in Mississippi right. But it is an evangelical Christian School. I think that's correct and that's awesome. Doesn't give me any hope for the animalistic behavior needed for football players to be successful to see that Twitter post..

Packed stadiums I hear nothing, empty stadium I always hear the man/woman on the back row. Packed stadium don’t even hear the coach. Of course I’m in the middle of the field and my wife says I am excellent at selective hearing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT