ADVERTISEMENT

Prelim Brackets

He’s soft. He has offers on his size alone. Good hands in pre game though. He isn’t anything you guys should be worried about. TJ isn’t that good this year in all reality. Wouldn’t worry much about them.
You think you would have learned your lesson several years ago (when you had to delete your posts) but here you go again making negative comments about individual high school players. I’m sure CSD is very proud to have you as a representative. Get a life!

The stars are aligning for Mitchell to win state.
Biggest school in 1a.
Easiest 1st rd game.
8 days to heal and prepare for Rville/WSP
Bk this is coming from a guys whose seen more Mitchell football than about anyone on here other than old mountaineer. Y’all are the favorites. Could we beat you? Yes, but y’all are the favorites. What robbinsville does with the number of kids is phenomenal. Y’all and Murphy are the standard. This Mitchell team is to me a testimony to what coach pitman can do, which is win with different talent, different players, different styles. When he retires, he will be up there with the best ever to coach the game.

Bk this is coming from a guys whose seen more Mitchell football than about anyone on here other than old mountaineer. Y’all are the favorites. Could we beat you? Yes, but y’all are the favorites. What robbinsville does with the number of kids is phenomenal. Y’all and Murphy are the standard. This Mitchell team is to me a testimony to what coach pitman can do, which is win with different talent, different players, different styles. When he retires, he will be up there with the best ever to coach the game.
I was even a radio announcer for one game. 1986 first time Mitchell ever made the playoffs had dropped from 3A to 2A also the state went from 16 to 32 teams in each classification..I was working for the radio station Mitchell had beaten East Surry at home 27-0 ( My cousin who played for ES never paid the $10 we bet on that game lol) then Mt Airy who had beaten Madison 27-21 , Mitchell played them there and won 27-22. Then one of the announcers went on vacation had planned it since Mitchell had never made the playoffs and didn't expect them to beat Mt Airy, so I got volunteered , I guess I jinxed them Mitchell lost to Newton conover 20-12 who lost the west regional and then state champs Lexington 27-21.

Last edited:
the lack of playing quality opponents will show up in the Murphy game rather quickly , I think Murphy will blow them out , the Pattie cake schedule they play every year is not a very good method for winning a championship , lack of physicality will put them back in Rutherford talking about how they just can't believe they got beat !
And who has Murphy played? Their first "real" game was Robbinsville and they lost. TJ will give them a better game than you think.

The west bracket SOS
Strongest to weakest

Mitchell +2.1
Andrew's -5.5
Murphy -6.7
Robbinsville -7.1
WSP -9.1
Elkin -9.5
TJ -16.2
CTK -19.1
That means nothing...sorry! Four of Murphy's oppt. had losing records and again, when they played Robbinsville, they lost.

And who has Murphy played? Their first "real" game was Robbinsville and they lost. TJ will give them a better game than you think.
maybe they will maybe they won't I have looked at film from tj opponents and it couldn't get any easier , don't understand why they continue to schedule like that , there's 3 schools in there own county that would play them and we over at Polk would love to give them some more beat downs , I'm saying they could schedule better if they were not so concerned about having a artificial winning record , Murphy will kill them !!
[/QUOTE]

A little more in depth of sos of course we can't begin to touch what a computer algorithm can do. And this is probably absolutely meaningless but here it is...

Thomas Jefferson: #10 ( -16.2)
(Rank- record- sos - game score)
CDS: 1A #21 5-2 (-16.5). 25-9

E Rowan 3A #64 2-5 (5.1). 21-6

MIC 1A #23 2-5 ( -3.2) 25-21

CKHS 1A #40 4-3 ( -19.1). 61-0

Cherryville 1A #42 2-5 (-11) 42-14

Bessemer 1A #64 1-6 (-17.8) 48-8

Opponents average (records averaged to whole numbers)
rankings-records- sos
#42 . 3-4 (-10.42)

Murphy #7 (-6.7)

Andrews 1A #17 (-6.7) 33-6

Franklin 2A #37 4-3 (0.6) 48-14

Hayesville 1A #32 2-5 (-2.1) 54-21

Swain 1A #27 2-4 (-3.7) 39-7

Rosman 1A #57 0-7 (-3.5) 50-0

Cherokee 1A #26 ( -0.8) 43-21

Robbinsville 1A #5 7-0 ( -7.1) Lost 17-7

Average of all 7 games
#30 ..3-4 (-3.16)

Average of 6 games won
#32..2-4 (-2.5)

One thing is very clear winner of the TJ vs Murphy game will play the winner of the Robbinsville vs Mitchell game in 2 weeks to go onto the the championship game. Murphy and Robbinsville slight favorites as they have home field advantage, but TJ and Murphy both more than capable of winning. Injuries and turnovers could very well decide both games as is the case in many games between 2 good teams.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
It means the Charters play a weaker schedule yearly.
Those were conference games. They have NO control over who is in the conference. I don't care who wins, I just thought it was hypocritical to say TJ has played no one when Murphy has played NO on either. And again, the only real competition they played, they lost! Good luck to all though.

Those were conference games. They have NO control over who is in the conference. I don't care who wins, I just thought it was hypocritical to say TJ has played no one when Murphy has played NO on either. And again, the only real competition they played, they lost! Good luck to all though.
under normal circumstances there is 11 games in regular season , l know you can control your conference with how good or bad it is but your out of conference games you control and tj schedule trash for those games to and have for a while not hypocritical just facts.

Reactions: Mopar forever
under normal circumstances there is 11 games in regular season , l know you can control your conference with how good or bad it is but your out of conference games you control and tj schedule trash for those games to and have for a while not hypocritical just facts.
maybe they will maybe they won't I have looked at film from tj opponents and it couldn't get any easier , don't understand why they continue to schedule like that , there's 3 schools in there own county that would play them and we over at Polk would love to give them some more beat downs , I'm saying they could schedule better if they were not so concerned about having a artificial winning record , Murphy will kill them !!
[/QUOTE]
You must not be very connected in the area if you don't know that TJ has made numerous attempts over the years to schedule teams in both Rutherford and Polk counties. These schools have had zero interest in playing TJ and continue to drive by TJ's campus to play schools in TJ's own conference on a regular basis (Bessemer City, Cherryville, Mountain Island, Highland Tech, etc.). On a positive note, they are starting to play each other in middle school sports, which hopefully will lead to Varsity contests down the road. All of these school would benefit by bigger gates, lower transportation costs and less travel time for the student athletes. If you remember, TJ had a very scary bus crash coming down the mountain from Mitchell a few years ago.

I know Polk dropped them years ago because it was a slaughter every year nobody came to watch from either side , I don't know why Rutherford schools want play unless the superintendent of the school system hates them for taking state money and private money I know that that really pisses them off , looks to me like they would want to give them a beat down in football every year , you are right about Polk dropping them I think they would be interested in playing again now that tj have now become somewhat relevant.

Reactions: Mhsneer
I know Polk dropped them years ago because it was a slaughter every year nobody came to watch from either side , I don't know why Rutherford schools want play unless the superintendent of the school system hates them for taking state money and private money I know that that really pisses them off , looks to me like they would want to give them a beat down in football every year , you are right about Polk dropping them I think they would be interested in playing again now that tj have now become somewhat relevant.
Once again, you are misinformed. Polk stopped playing TJ because TJ was moved out of the 1A/2A Western Highlands conference. TJ has been a solid football program since Coach Cash took over in 2012 so I'm not exactly sure what Polk is waiting for. In fact, TJ has been ranked higher than Polk in football over the last three seasons, according to MaxPreps. Also, this is not just about football, Polk should be playing TJ in all sports as the schools are very close to each other (25 minute drive). I'm hoping Polk makes a strong run in the 1AA playoffs...they are a very good community that supports their kids.

Once again, you are misinformed. Polk stopped playing TJ because TJ was moved out of the 1A/2A Western Highlands conference. TJ has been a solid football program since Coach Cash took over in 2012 so I'm not exactly sure what Polk is waiting for. In fact, TJ has been ranked higher than Polk in football over the last three seasons, according to MaxPreps. Also, this is not just about football, Polk should be playing TJ in all sports as the schools are very close to each other (25 minute drive). I'm hoping Polk makes a strong run in the 1AA playoffs...they are a very good community that supports their kids.
Ever wander why TJ has never played a varsity football game in Rutherford co ??? I sure have .... and was told that TJ was told to NEVER step foot on a Rutherford co football field. So yeah a little bad blood between the school boards.
And Polk kinda got tired of dang near hanging 100 on TJ ......

Ever wander why TJ has never played a varsity football game in Rutherford co ??? I sure have .... and was told that TJ was told to NEVER step foot on a Rutherford co football field. So yeah a little bad blood between the school boards.
And Polk kinda got tired of dang near hanging 100 on TJ ......
You certainly seem stuck in the past and have selective memory...Polk ran up the score on a TJ team in 2010 that had 35 TOTAL students in their Senior class and many of the starters were 9th graders. Must have been a proud day for Polk football to score 90 points on TJ. It was a miracle that they even had a program back then and credit goes to the players and coaches that believed they would be competitive some day. Many of the scores were lopsided in the first few years but several programs (Mitchell, Mountain Heritage and Hendersonville specifically) showed class by not running up the score and encouraged the TJ kids. Strange that you don't remember that in 2011 and 2012, the scores between TJ and Polk were much closer (48-27 and 44-21) as the younger players moved up. They stopped playing in 2013 when TJ was moved into a new conference. I'm sure there would have been some great matchups since then but we will never know.

Reactions: Razzamatazz
I could actually care less about old score or who they play or don’t play ( and yes they play very weak teams) I actually know and love most the kids on that team and want them to do well. My statement is more to do with the bad blood between Rutherford co. schools and TJ

when I asked why we don't play y'all anymore ,I was told y'all aren't good enough to challenge our kids that it's not productive for us , as far as ranking go's I don't put much faith in ranking except when Alabama is #1 that one is right more often than not , if it were up to me we would play every year , maybe if we would have kept spanking y'all yearly then y'all receiver and qb would have stayed at Polk where they supposed to be , the statement I made about how weak y'all schedule is still hasn't been answered I know you can control conference but you sure can out of conference,I feel sorry for y'all next year gonna be like the old days in the who, good luck for rest of year

when I asked why we don't play y'all anymore ,I was told y'all aren't good enough to challenge our kids that it's not productive for us , as far as ranking go's I don't put much faith in ranking except when Alabama is #1 that one is right more often than not , if it were up to me we would play every year , maybe if we would have kept spanking y'all yearly then y'all receiver and qb would have stayed at Polk where they supposed to be , the statement I made about how weak y'all schedule is still hasn't been answered I know you can control conference but you sure can out of conference,I feel sorry for y'all next year gonna be like the old days in the who, good luck for rest of year
Are you really that ignorant to believe that TJ would have not been "good enough to challenge" Polk over the last 6-8 years. If so, you should not be around a football stadium or on a football message board. You can complain all you want about TJ's strength of schedule (but never mention that TJ has played some much larger out of conference opponents over the last several years including 2A North Lincoln, 2A Stuart Cramer, 3A East Rowan, 2A Blacksburg SC, 2A Carver) but the fact remains that TJ has been ranked higher than Polk for the last several years and the rankings take into account the strength of schedule. Also, the split conference next year actually works out well for TJ. They may have some tough 2A games but they should get a top seed in the playoffs with the 1A schedule. I'm still cheering for Polk to make a nice run in the playoffs but you certainly need to get a more balanced perspective.

I personally think that's the only reason that silly conference was invented.
TJ 1 seed every year.

Are you really that ignorant to believe that TJ would have not been "good enough to challenge" Polk over the last 6-8 years. If so, you should not be around a football stadium or on a football message board. You can complain all you want about TJ's strength of schedule (but never mention that TJ has played some much larger out of conference opponents over the last several years including 2A North Lincoln, 2A Stuart Cramer, 3A East Rowan, 2A Blacksburg SC, 2A Carver) but the fact remains that TJ has been ranked higher than Polk for the last several years and the rankings take into account the strength of schedule. Also, the split conference next year actually works out well for TJ. They may have some tough 2A games but they should get a top seed in the playoffs with the 1A schedule. I'm still cheering for Polk to make a nice run in the playoffs but you certainly need to get a more balanced perspective.
I think that North Lincoln game was the best non-conf road win TJ has ever had. I believe they were down two TDs in the first half of that game. And North made a fairly deep run into the 2A playoffs later that year.

I didn't call you ignorant with your comments don't appreciate you calling me that , I do think tj could have won a game or two over the last 10 years not more than that and regardless of the ranking that your obsessed with says y'all just ain't that good and you play weak competition not to mention you get to recruit if you didn't have the two Polk kids you would have lost a few of those Pattie cake games this year I do hope y'all do well for those kids sake .

Everybody has injuries. It isn’t just Murphy.
Yes everyone is banged up at this point in the season. No, everyone sure as hell don't have 3rd stringers at corner and wide receiver because of injuries.

Just concern yourself with Robbinsville hoss, not interested in what you think you know about what's happening at Murphy.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigRedFan27
Yes everyone is banged up at this point in the season. No, everyone sure as hell don't have 3rd stringers at corner and wide receiver because of injuries.

Just concern yourself with Robbinsville hoss, not interested in what you think you know about what's happening at Murphy.
I’ll concern myself with whatever I want. None of us are interested in injuries all the time either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT