ADVERTISEMENT

Post Week 10 Scores Here

I'm not knocking Murphy. I never have. Murphy is an average team right now and their defense is plane out horrible . Robbinsville coaches will tell you that the 2019 was the best attitude team wise and funnest to coach.. Like you said though, to go to Murphy on any year and win without our star back was astronomical. Very proud of this team but they are a year or two away in my opinion
That’s funny cause I’ve had coaches tell me differently…..

Im as diehard of a SMC and Robbinsville fan as they are but I'm not gonna blow sunshine up their rears just because they have SMC beside their names. I'm not sure what you mean about not counting them out. SMC will upset some schools in the playoffs this year. But that's it. No State Championship this year brother for any SMC school ..
You don’t have to blow sunshine up their rears. The SMC always has a say so in who makes it to the big dance. What I mean by that is exactly what it sounds like. You don’t ever count a SMC team out. Kinda like Cherokees championship a couple years ago. No knock to Cherokee but 99 times out of 100 that team don’t win a state title. But they caught a break or two and played good enough football to win it.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
Kinda like Cherokees championship a couple years ago. No knock to Cherokee but 99 times out of 100 that team don’t win a state title. But they caught a break or two and played good enough football to win it.
That Cherokee team had a college QB, a college RB, a college WR and a college lineman. Tye Mintz was about as good of an all arounder as you'll see in this league. I think a lot of people sell that Cherokee team short, they had real talent but weren't that deep. If that Cherokee team was in the SMC this year they would win the conference comfortably in my opinion.

Last edited:
That Cherokee team had a college QB, a college RB, a college WR and a college lineman. Tye Mintz was about as good of an all arounder as you'll see in this league. I think a lot of people sell that Cherokee team short, they had real talent but weren't that deep. If that Cherokee team was in the SMC this year they would win the conference comfortably in my opinion.
They didn’t even win the conference. Mintz was as good of an athlete as any. 1 college lineman doesn’t win you ball games against tough teams… Mugarbhil beat Robbinsville 1 time…. Wide receiver does nothing without mintz. It’s easy to say that stuff but how many kids from all teams could go on and play college ball somewhere big or small but decide not to? Quite a few. Like I said, not a knock to Cherokee but things worked in their favor to help propel them to the title game.

They didn’t even win the conference. Mintz was as good of an athlete as any. 1 college lineman doesn’t win you ball games against tough teams… Mugarbhil beat Robbinsville 1 time…. Wide receiver does nothing without mintz. It’s easy to say that stuff but how many kids from all teams could go on and play college ball somewhere big or small but decide not to? Quite a few. Like I said, not a knock to Cherokee but things worked in their favor to help propel them to the title game.
Your facts are quite a bit off. #1 Cherokee did win a share of the conference, it was a 3 way tie after Murphy laid an egg against Swain at Swain. #2 Mugharbil didn't beat Robbinsville once, Mugharbil was 3-3 against Robbinsville in his high school career.

Also you're seriously selling those Cherokee skill people short with that statement. Tye Mintz (Kennesaw State), Cade Mintz (UNC Charlotte) and Isaiah Evans (Gardner Webb) all signed scholarships with D1 schools coming out of high school, we're not talking about preffered walk ons at Mars Hill here man. The Mintz brothers were absolute studs and Evans was a 6'1 220 RB that ran a sub 4.6 40. Cherokee won a state title that year because they were a bad matchup for Mitchell, unlike most teams they had the size to match Mitchell in the trenches and then they outathleted them at the skill positions.

Your facts are quite a bit off. #1 Cherokee did win a share of the conference, it was a 3 way tie after Murphy laid an egg against Swain at Swain. #2 Mugharbil didn't beat Robbinsville once, Mugharbil was 3-3 against Robbinsville in his high school career.

Also you're seriously selling those Cherokee skill people short with that statement. Tye Mintz (Kennesaw State), Cade Mintz (UNC Charlotte) and Isaiah Evans (Gardner Webb) all signed scholarships with D1 schools coming out of high school, we're not talking about preffered walk ons at Mars Hill here man. The Mintz brothers were absolute studs and Evans was a 6'1 220 RB that ran a sub 4.6 40. Cherokee won a state title that year because they were a bad matchup for Mitchell, unlike most teams they had the size to match Mitchell in the trenches and then they outathleted them at the skill positions.
#1 share of the conference. Secondly sorry about my stats being off. But still the point remains the same. 1 lineman doesn’t win all your football games for you. I’m not selling anyone short. Mugarbil went to Florida. A top 25 team in the nation most years. Rumfelt could play somewhere. Allen could play somewhere. Anderson could have played somewhere. Wachacha could have played somewhere. I’m not selling anyone from Cherokee short. Ty Mintz is one of the best athletes I’ve ever seen but 4 players isn’t a football team. There are 7 other players on the field with you. The 2011 Swain Football team was arguably the best football team I’ve ever watched play the game. Tisho went to UT but never did play because of his grades if I remember correctly. Matt Maennle went to play at Mars Hill. Other than that, there may have been a couple of other guys that went on to play college ball but not a ton of em. The key to that team was the other 9-10 guys they had around them. Corbin Panther, Jacob Wildcat, Jared Turbyfill, Lee Patillo (who also may have played college ball, not sure.) Colby Hyatt, Otero…. Don’t play dumb mbdfan. You know as well as I do that we play teams every year in the playoffs that have a couple of studs that go to college and play and we kick their teeth in. The truth is when it comes down to the playoffs, the SMC is so used to playing on such a high level every week that they don’t really play anyone until the 3rd round. Then you play teams that aren’t used to playing the level of football that the SMC brings every week and that helps propel us to victory. This conference builds teams up to succeed in the playoffs no matter who you play every week. The point is, you will never convince me that that Cherokee team was a cream of the crop state title team. Not even close.

#1 share of the conference. Secondly sorry about my stats being off. But still the point remains the same. 1 lineman doesn’t win all your football games for you. I’m not selling anyone short. Mugarbil went to Florida. A top 25 team in the nation most years. Rumfelt could play somewhere. Allen could play somewhere. Anderson could have played somewhere. Wachacha could have played somewhere. I’m not selling anyone from Cherokee short. Ty Mintz is one of the best athletes I’ve ever seen but 4 players isn’t a football team. There are 7 other players on the field with you. The 2011 Swain Football team was arguably the best football team I’ve ever watched play the game. Tisho went to UT but never did play because of his grades if I remember correctly. Matt Maennle went to play at Mars Hill. Other than that, there may have been a couple of other guys that went on to play college ball but not a ton of em. The key to that team was the other 9-10 guys they had around them. Corbin Panther, Jacob Wildcat, Jared Turbyfill, Lee Patillo (who also may have played college ball, not sure.) Colby Hyatt, Otero…. Don’t play dumb mbdfan. You know as well as I do that we play teams every year in the playoffs that have a couple of studs that go to college and play and we kick their teeth in. The truth is when it comes down to the playoffs, the SMC is so used to playing on such a high level every week that they don’t really play anyone until the 3rd round. Then you play teams that aren’t used to playing the level of football that the SMC brings every week and that helps propel us to victory. This conference builds teams up to succeed in the playoffs no matter who you play every week. The point is, you will never convince me that that Cherokee team was a cream of the crop state title team. Not even close.
There were others on that Cherokee State team that contributed the the success of that team who got next level (D2) opportunities (Bryon Locust, Will Davis, Demetryus Bradley, Zak Perez, Holden Straughan). To have any 1-A players at the D1 or D2 levels is pretty amazing when they are competing with kids from 3-4-5A schools. Unfortunately though only a very few who play next level succeed through 4 years of college football. Not trying to convince anybody of anything, these men were the “cream of the crop” in 2017 in My opinion.

There were others on that Cherokee State team that contributed the the success of that team who got next level (D2) opportunities (Bryon Locust, Will Davis, Demetryus Bradley, Zak Perez, Holden Straughan). To have any 1-A players at the D1 or D2 levels is pretty amazing when they are competing with kids from 3-4-5A schools. Unfortunately though only a very few who play next level succeed through 4 years of college football. Not trying to convince anybody of anything, these men were the “cream of the crop” in 2017 in My opinion.
There is no way that Cherokee team beats 2011 or 12 Swain team. 2019 Robbinsville team beats them. Heck 2020 Robbinsville beats them. Seth Curtis Murphy teams beat them. I’m telling you they aren’t.

Yes Cherokee was good but the fact that Murphy went big for the first time in years really helped. I don't see Cherokee with a title if they had to go through Murphy
Very true. Murphy was better than Cherokee and Murphy made it to the Western finals losing by 2 Tds. 49-35 by Mt. Airy which got smoked by Tarboro 32-7. So, yes very easy to say Cherokee would not have won the big A in 2017. It would have been interesting for Cherokee if Murphy had been in 1A and not 1AA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT