ADVERTISEMENT

Polk Co at East Surry 1AA Regional Finals

Stop in Elkin or Jonesville and grab you a bite. Terrys in Jonesville is right off the interstate at US 21 and 77. Good old greasy spoon with a ribeye special on Fridays and you can eat with the Starmount crowd. Generations in Jonesville is probably my favorite. You can leave there and hop across the river to 268 in Elkin. Margaritas in Jonesville has great mexican food as well.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996

Polk Co at East Surry 1AA Regional Finals​

I am still saying East Surry by 28 plus over Polk County.
Well, as I said East Surry has passed the 28 plus win @ the end of 3rd Qtr. 12 Min to go. They will meet Tarboro for the State Championship Game Saturday. This is on WIFM 109

My overall thoughts

I tried Generations in Jonesville on the way and it was good!

Game: East Surry or Aka Big PLAY Surry had their way in the 2nd half with Polk co. I have say East Surry O line is one of the best I have seen , they play well n they play all way from point of contact to 2nd level. RB for ES are very shift n patient for the O line to get into the 2nd level. QB for ES commandants that offense well

Defense for East Surry made plays all night with turnovers and stiffing Polk co behind the line all night for 3rd n long all night but BUT One flaw I did see in ES is they struggle with short/ mid range passes they didn’t press so Polk had time n separations to catch it. / They have a great Kicker as well

ES did have a few penalties hurt them and that did allow Polk get their 7 pts before half

Crowd: Nice crowd for ES! Love the atmosphere a s Love how they call their O line Big Cowboys and I love it!

Polk Co- Polk was absolutely dominated after half. Polk co came out n turn the ball over on their first drive in 3Q on a pick 6 . And they turnover over at 2-3 more time in the 2nd half. Polk couldn’t match ES speed n athleticism. Like I said Polk did have some success on short/mid passes but had 0 run game.

Defensively : They just were out of position or just reading the play right in 2 half n They gave a lot big play but they did some good things but the mistakes hurt them

I will say Polk RB is a tough player and he did a lot for Polk Tonight

overall : Great overall experience in Pilot Mtn!!

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
My overall thoughts

I tried Generations in Jonesville on the way and it was good!

Game: East Surry or Aka Big PLAY Surry had their way in the 2nd half with Polk co. I have say East Surry O line is one of the best I have seen , they play well n they play all way from point of contact to 2nd level. RB for ES are very shift n patient for the O line to get into the 2nd level. QB for ES commandants that offense well

Defense for East Surry made plays all night with turnovers and stiffing Polk co behind the line all night for 3rd n long all night but BUT One flaw I did see in ES is they struggle with short/ mid range passes they didn’t press so Polk had time n separations to catch it. / They have a great Kicker as well

ES did have a few penalties hurt them and that did allow Polk get their 7 pts before half

Crowd: Nice crowd for ES! Love the atmosphere a s Love how they call their O line Big Cowboys and I love it!

Polk Co- Polk was absolutely dominated after half. Polk co came out n turn the ball over on their first drive in 3Q on a pick 6 . And they turnover over at 2-3 more time in the 2nd half. Polk couldn’t match ES speed n athleticism. Like I said Polk did have some success on short/mid passes but had 0 run game.

Defensively : They just were out of position or just reading the play right in 2 half n They gave a lot big play but they did some good things but the mistakes hurt them

I will say Polk RB is a tough player and he did a lot for Polk Tonight

overall : Great overall experience in Pilot Mtn!!
The zero run game was a result of that great defense line from East. Our run game is actually really strong but as you could see it didn’t look very good tonight. The line play for East was awesome. Still proud of our wolverines tho

So are we saying that ES can play physical mountain football? Every mountain team supporter thinks that ES only slings it around and plays finesse ball. I think that the Cardinals showed tonight that they can play what style it takes to win games. They are a well balanced team. I am sure all of the SMC supporters will say that East still could not hang with them in a physical slobber knocker, but............

Not to ruffle feathers but there is no team in the SMC in the last 3 yrs that could beat ES or come within 2 or 3 tds of ES if both are playing their A games...especially last years ES team.

Reactions: ncball04
Not to ruffle feathers but there is no team in the SMC in the last 3 yrs that could beat ES or come within 2 or 3 tds of ES if both are playing their A games...especially last years ES team.
Well Mitchell did last year and it seems Robbinsville and Murphy are usually a tick better than Mitchell.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
I wouldn't say ruffling feathers just spewing more ignorance as usual. East was definitely better in 2019 and they are better this year. You clearly didn't see the 2018 Murphy team though if you think East would've beat them, let alone by 2 or 3 TDs. The 2018 Murphy team was most of the 2017 Murphy team (minus QB and few others) that destroyed East Surry, just a year older with Mugahrbil and Rayburn moved up from JV. Murphy beats East Surry by MULTIPLE scores in 2018.

Like I said East looks to be the better team this year but give Murphy their 4 starters who got into legal trouble or quit before this season started (that includes what was the best d-lineman in 1A and a RB/OLB that runs a 10.8 100 meter, nobody on East is anywhere near that speed) and the 5 starters that have gotten injured during the season back and I would love their chances against East this season too.

Just curious Blueprint, I know East lost Washington but how good do you think East Surry would be right now if they were without NINE of their starters and/or major contributors they had going into the year? Certainly nowhere near as good and that's my point. What a credit to Murphy's coaching staff and players, it's miraculous that they've made it this far under those circumstances. Murphy would've been a juggernaut this season with all their pieces but that didnt happen. But guess what? they dug deep and grinded through this season and still found their way to the title game. That's what culture and tradition is all about.

Last edited:
If East Surry beat Reidsville at Reidsville...last year....and i dont care what Mitchell did...lol..then i stand by what i said..2 or 3 tds over any SMC team...and i did watch MA run past a Murphy team with the cat that went to Wake Forest...not sure what year that was. SMC conference is really good..but last years ES team borders on one of the best 1a teams offensively ever assembled...6 D1 athletes at major Universities backs it up.

If East Surry beat Reidsville at Reidsville...last year....and i dont care what Mitchell did...lol..then i stand by what i said..2 or 3 tds over any SMC team...and i did watch MA run past a Murphy team with the cat that went to Wake Forest...not sure what year that was. SMC conference is really good..but last years ES team borders on one of the best 1a teams offensively ever assembled...
Nobody said anything about a 2019 SMC team beating last season's (the 2019) East Surry team. Are you slow? You're making statements to arguments that nobody made.

What I disputed is you saying East Surry would have beat Murphy the year before that (2018) by 2 or 3 TDs. You know, the season East got beat by 40 in the title game against Tarboro. I'm saying no, East would not have beat Murphy in 2018, period. East wasn't even the best team Tarboro saw in the 1AA playoffs that season, North Stanly was.

Last edited:
Anyway congrats to East Surry on your win and also to Polk on a good season. It's a hell of an accomplishment to get to three straight title games. A shame Blueprint, who isnt even associated with your program and likes to ride the coattails of area teams because his stinks, tries to make everything a pissing contest.

Last edited:
You silly MbD...pissing contest..lol...i like to ruffle feathers..but just because you or I say things make your points no more valid than anyone else's oh great one...i support all the teams in the area..and any goin against an SMC team...facts...not very successful..but I love an underdog...and most times teams that play against SMC teams like Murphy and Robbinsville are underdogs..all good MBD..relax yo mind bruh...lol

Polk had me a little worried going into the second with the momentum from scoring at the end of the first half. East made some adjustments and the pick 6 completely changed the complexion of the game.

Polk had me a little worried going into the second with the momentum from scoring at the end of the first half. East made some adjustments and the pick 6 completely changed the complexion of the game.
My thing is - I like their aggressiveness but I though they came out with the WRONG PLAN!! They should of kept the Short/MID rang passes because that the ONLY THING killing ES and then they come out trying throw bombs 35-40 yards down the field, they should of EAT THE CLOCK but MOVE the ball down the field on Short/Mid Passes with some runs. but I am not a coach so Maybe they seen something where they thought they could go DEEP but I think that was their down fall in trying go deep and Coming out of Half n u throw a PICK 6 doesn't help the case and your down 21-7 now at this point

Reactions: Tony1038
Midrange was working, but I think coming out in press coverage in the second maybe took away some of the looks they had before the half. Thought East was hanging too far off in the first and getting burned for it. Polk hit the long pass that set up the touchdown, maybe assumed they could hit it more.

I'm sure they adjusted knowing East Surry would make an adjustment. You can only stop a leak with gum for so long. Ollis knew he had to take a chance to even things up. Running a long drive and coming up shorthanded midway or late on the 3rd quarter can be just as damaging as a turnover against a superior team that can run away at any minute.

Reactions: Tony1038
Will be huge difference playing tarboro then polk lol
Captain obvious! Third time playing each other. I don’t think there is anything you can tell anyone about each of these teams that the people who have followed these two the past three years don’t already know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT