ADVERTISEMENT

Out of county players

LegionFan

Jun 22, 2022
What is the typical number of out of county players in the starting lineup of a typical legion team?

That seems like something which would be hard to determine since the starting point is based on geography (driving distance from a player's home to a team's home field) rather than county lines.

A team like High Point Post 87 (in Guilford County) in Area 3, for example, plays it's games at Finch Field in Thomasville (in Davidson County) and also draws players for it's senior legion team from NW Randolph County and maybe from SE Forsyth County too.

Not all teams are that close to 4 counties but a few would skewer the results when determining 'typical/average' players from different counties.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Well that shows how out of touch I am. Back in my high school years it seemed like it was all from our county.

I was talking to a parent of a player that was in Cherryville at the tournament a few weekends back and they were telling me how much it cost their kids to play Legion baseball and I was astonished. Back in the day players didn’t pay much at all, if anything.

Again my age is showing I guess.

Well that shows how out of touch I am. Back in my high school years it seemed like it was all from our county.

I was talking to a parent of a player that was in Cherryville at the tournament a few weekends back and they were telling me how much it cost their kids to play Legion baseball and I was astonished. Back in the day players didn’t pay much at all, if anything.

Again my age is showing I guess.
Small businesses were the life blood of supporting youth sports. A lot of those small businesses are gone. Walmart, Target and the likes boast of all the money given but very little to local youth sports. Those types of donations don’t make for big press releases. Also as Legion Post age, a lot of their revenue streams dry up. I am betting charging to play Legion is now the norm, rather than not. I guess how much is too much is subjective. I beT it’s far less than all these money making machines call “Showcase“.

Just my two cents worth.

I suppose you are correct when it comes to Showcase teams. I am sure they are a pretty penny to play on, but $1,000 for two months of Legion seems expensive also.

And yes the community/small business support is long gone as well.

I miss the nights of sitting and watching my kids play along with a packed crowd in the stands. It was the main social event of the summer in our community.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT