ADVERTISEMENT

Our politics in NC

You can keep Florida. All the crap from the east coast ends up there
02713e1b332206320bd74716b76c85d4b02266fc7fe09f5a13f55e1fb5bd2c58_1.webp

You can keep Florida. All the crap from the east coast ends up there
Having retired in NC (in 2021) and now resided full-time in FL for 10-months, I have yet to come across anyone here who shares similar sentiments. ln addition - although I struggle mightily with some of the ongoings down here (student-athlete transferal is bizarrely rampant), I have met no coaches who appear to take issue with the way things are here. Perhaps this makes me "East Coast crap?" Wouldn't really know ... nor do I care. There's little difference in the cost of living (here in the Daytona Beach area) from NC. The reality of "double-dipping" in FL combined with NO state income tax has radically improved my overall living experience. That being said, one man's crap is always another man's fertilizer. Perspective always determines Peace-of-mind.
God is Good, ALL the time.

Actually, I lived in Hickory, Glen Alpine, Rockingham, Whiteville, Laurinburg, Sanford, and Red Springs, so you tell me. Now I’m 200-yds off the beach. Of course, I do live modestly … I am somewhat of a minimalist.

Actually, I lived in Hickory, Glen Alpine, Rockingham, Whiteville, Laurinburg, Sanford, and Red Springs, so you tell me. Now I’m 200-yds off the beach. Of course, I do live modestly … I am somewhat of a minimalist.
Cocoa High School(not Cocoa Beach) has some great football among others within your retired establishment sir.

All those places have high cost of living compared to Western NC. Of course it's going up here now.

Red Springs (Robeson Co.)? Richmond, Columbus, and Scotland Co. have higher costs of living than western NC? All due respect, but your research into such economic speculation is … seriously lacking. Regardless, cost of living is always relative and extremely exclusive to how (any)one chooses to live. Ah but that is another discussion altogether.

This same Brian Woods guy founded The Fall Experimental Football League (folded after 2 years) and The Spring League (folded after 4 years) and lasted a little more than a year at the new USFL... Fellas, find someone who loves you like this guy loves football knock-offs
Wonder if a kid from NC will be able to play on one of the teams. Right now the number 1 rated player in the Country is the OT from Province Day Sanders on 247 for 2025

Wonder if a kid from NC will be able to play on one of the teams. Right now the number 1 rated player in the Country is the OT from Province Day Sanders on 247 for 2025
It’s during school year so I think practice may be an issue. Think travel time will be a problem in large metro area depending on where the player lives and where practice is.

It’s during school year so I think practice may be an issue. Think travel time will be a problem in large metro area depending on where the player lives and where practice is.
Do you think it could be like high level travel ball? Get plays, work on your own, show up and play? My kid played travel ball with kids along the east coast. They had maybe 3 (super long 8 hour on Saturdays) practices the whole season but was ranked 7th in the nation, so it worked.

If the NCGA has it their way, 10 years from now we will all be supporting a Charter School vs the public schools most of us graduated from. They keep trying to pull money away from the public system to funnel it to charter schools. I thought years ago the funding of our public education system would no longer be a problem when they touted the NC Education Lottery. I was all for it and still buy tickets occasionally today, but if I remember correctly what they stated was a certain % of this money would go the NC public education and would solve our building, equipment, teacher pay issues in NC. Dorman High School had just been built in SC and I was envisioning new schools like this throughout NC as a result of the lottery, what I did not know was any money coming from the NC Lottery going to education, would result of the same amount of funds coming from a previous source ending. The way I understand it, instead of increasing the funding thru the lottery to improve all the issues they complained about for years, they simply substituted these funds and we still have the same old teacher pay and facilities issues we had 20 years ago. I'm sure someone here knows if this is correct or not???

If the NCGA has it their way, 10 years from now we will all be supporting a Charter School vs the public schools most of us graduated from. They keep trying to pull money away from the public system to funnel it to charter schools. I thought years ago the funding of our public education system would no longer be a problem when they touted the NC Education Lottery. I was all for it and still buy tickets occasionally today, but if I remember correctly what they stated was a certain % of this money would go the NC public education and would solve our building, equipment, teacher pay issues in NC. Dorman High School had just been built in SC and I was envisioning new schools like this throughout NC as a result of the lottery, what I did not know was any money coming from the NC Lottery going to education, would result of the same amount of funds coming from a previous source ending. The way I understand it, instead of increasing the funding thru the lottery to improve all the issues they complained about for years, they simply substituted these funds and we still have the same old teacher pay and facilities issues we had 20 years ago. I'm sure someone here knows if this is correct or not???
Generally what you’re saying is accurate. They did use lottery money to supplant much of what was being provided by the General Assembly. Additionally, they played a shell game with the amount. Started out with forty percent allocated to go to the counties for education, then cut it almost in half. There are schools being built or improved with lottery money, but it is definitely not the solution we were told.
Their motive isn’t just charters, but for profit charters and private schools. They are deluded into thinking that somebody who makes money from a process will automatically do it better than free public, not for profit, traditional schools.

Reactions: heelzfor2
Do you think it could be like high level travel ball? Get plays, work on your own, show up and play? My kid played travel ball with kids along the east coast. They had maybe 3 (super long 8 hour on Saturdays) practices the whole season but was ranked 7th in the nation, so it worked.
No. The plan is to have a few non padded practices a week. The guy doing this has had a few out of the box football business ventures that were a bit of a train wreck. I expect this to flop. He wants the players to pay a fee to play although I am sure any elite / big timer will not. We shall see .

I just do not see big money in high school football in the majority of the US. Fifteen years ago an ESPN guy told me that the a non P5 football game between two average at best teams would pull more viewers than the two of the top high school teams in the nation. May not be the same now but people usually watch “their” team.

No. The plan is to have a few non padded practices a week. The guy doing this has had a few out of the box football business ventures that were a bit of a train wreck. I expect this to flop. He wants the players to pay a fee to play although I am sure any elite / big timer will not. We shall see .

I just do not see big money in high school football in the majority of the US. Fifteen years ago an ESPN guy told me that the a non P5 football game between two average at best teams would pull more viewers than the two of the top high school teams in the nation. May not be the same now but people usually watch “their” team.
If you are elite recruit you probably have a NIL deal lined up with the school you are committed to already. I’m with you on not thinking this will work. What if you get hurt doing this. That could mess up your scholarship to a College and a lot kids are early enrollees now. They might be able to get Freshman and Sophomore in high school to do it but if I was a Junior or Senior don’t believe it’s a good idea.

Reactions: btango and mtnpack
OCdavis31, you know I was wondering about that as well, if they were for-profit or designated as non-profit. Even those so called non-profits have certain staff/investors becoming very wealthy as a result of the non-profit status. I liken your take on the for-profit schools doing a better job to our local Mental Health system, I guess about 15-20 years ago there was a push to privatize MH services in NC, some guy from Michigan came down to sell everyone on this idea....I did not like it then, and I still do not today and always said the clients would be the ones to suffer, and IMHO it has turned out just like that. These days we can all see, and they attribute the increase in gun violence to MH issues, and there is a lot of truth with that, but they never do anything to address MH services in our communities. My wife has worked in the system for almost 30 years, started with the County system but has been with the private providers for the last 20+ years and its all about billing......how many clients can they see that day, which the company can bill Medicaid for. Its not about the quality of services, its about how many can you see and bill for. Production for the most part. So long story short, privatizing, or making something for profit, only enhances the drive to make $$$, not provide a quality service. HS football will never be the same if they continue to choke out the public school systems.....Everyone will be a Charlotte Catholic :)

OCdavis31, you know I was wondering about that as well, if they were for-profit or designated as non-profit. Even those so called non-profits have certain staff/investors becoming very wealthy as a result of the non-profit status. I liken your take on the for-profit schools doing a better job to our local Mental Health system, I guess about 15-20 years ago there was a push to privatize MH services in NC, some guy from Michigan came down to sell everyone on this idea....I did not like it then, and I still do not today and always said the clients would be the ones to suffer, and IMHO it has turned out just like that. These days we can all see, and they attribute the increase in gun violence to MH issues, and there is a lot of truth with that, but they never do anything to address MH services in our communities. My wife has worked in the system for almost 30 years, started with the County system but has been with the private providers for the last 20+ years and its all about billing......how many clients can they see that day, which the company can bill Medicaid for. Its not about the quality of services, its about how many can you see and bill for. Production for the most part. So long story short, privatizing, or making something for profit, only enhances the drive to make $$$, not provide a quality service. HS football will never be the same if they continue to choke out the public school systems.....Everyone will be a Charlotte Catholic :)
My wife worked for thirty years in local government social services. Your description and experience certainly mirrors hers. I’m a small businessman and definitely a capitalist. But not everything is about making a buck. Level the playing field academically between traditional schools and charters, give them both the resources and then evaluate the results. Once you’ve done that, allow all schools to incorporate the innovations any school has developed. In almost every other field, best practices set the norm. Not so in education.

News release from NCHSAA.

We have been told by the State Board legal staff that, without specific legislative authority for emergency rule-making, the State Board is unable to act on adding an NIL provision to proposed eligibility rules in a way that would make them effective for the upcoming school year. The standard rule-making process is lengthy and generally takes six months to a year to complete. The State Board is currently considering a proposed rule on many eligibility issues, which will likely include a consideration of NIL issues, but again, without specific legislative authority this cannot be done quickly. As such, we are unable to provide guidance to member schools to help student-athletes and their parents/legal custodians navigate NIL opportunities, and at the same time retain NCHSAA athletic eligibility and amateur status.

Until further notice, continue to advise student-athletes and parents by following the Amateur Rule as stated in the current NCHSAA Handbook.

The NCGA gave the state board of education the power over the NCHSAA. That group gave the NCHAA the right to run the ship. NCHSAA makes a decision and the Gang of Three (plus some quiet ones) speak as if the NCHSAA did an end around on them and flip out about the NIL. I have lost any belief in Sawyer having a clue and I thought Todd Johnston was a good guy but he has lost me, also. Like many in the NCGA I never had much belief in McInnis. An old bully who gets bent out of shape if he does not get his way.

Many have issues with the NCHSAA but do any of us think the high school student athlete will be better off with the NCGA micromanaging sports? I think not. I thought the use of the lottery was a great idea and then we saw how they manuevered that. Basically lied to.

Every teacher should take next year off and lets see how the system would work.

I am noticing more teachers retiring with less than thirty years in the system. We all know why...combination of pay and the way they are treated by the system, the students, and parents. They are damned if you do and damned if you do not.

How does the retirement actually work?

What is the difference in retiring at 25 years as compared to 30? If you do 28 instead of 30? If a person retires at 20 can they get the pension and health care immediately?

Do you get paid a percentage based on years of service? Is all the retirement from the state or does the LEA pay some which goes through the state?

Thanks for any info.

I am noticing more teachers retiring with less than thirty years in the system. We all know why...combination of pay and the way they are treated by the system, the students, and parents. They are damned if you do and damned if you do not.

How does the retirement actually work?

What is the difference in retiring at 25 years as compared to 30? If you do 28 instead of 30? If a person retires at 20 can they get the pension and health care immediately?

Do you get paid a percentage based on years of service? Is all the retirement from the state or does the LEA pay some which goes through the state?

Thanks for any info.
Some of this depends on how old you are at retirement. You can retire with 30 years at any age (minimum age 47) or with at least x years at age 60 (this may vary based on when you started working). You can get a partial pension with at least 20 years starting at age 50. There’s a formula they use where you get the average salary of your highest four consecutive years, times a percentage, times the number of years. Then they give you a percentage of that starting at 50% at age 50 with a sliding scale based on years and age up to age 60. Anyone retiring now will still get insurance, but I think it is being phased out for future retirees. I don’t know about whether or not some localities subsidize retirement. Retirees can go to work somewhere else, of course.

Reactions: btango
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT