ADVERTISEMENT

Why stay?

I get the whole South Carolina thing with pay, facilities and double dipping. But am I the only one who perceives that there are an unusually large number of coaching changes this year? Have I just not been paying attention in previous years?

Who has a list of all these coaches leaving besides Marboro County hires from Monday? Another question is where are all the SC coaches going? These NC coaches have to be taking jobs that are becoming open because schools/coaches are moving on from each other. Is SC building more schools then NC?

Who has a list of all these coaches leaving besides Marboro County hires from Monday? Another question is where are all the SC coaches going? These NC coaches have to be taking jobs that are becoming open because schools/coaches are moving on from each other. Is SC building more schools then NC?
There are still plenty of good coaches in SC.

I think one of the reasons why NC coaches end up coaching in SC is because some of the jobs the NC coaches are being hired for are not the most desirable jobs in SC for coaches that are already in the state.

Almost any job in SC is better than most jobs in NC, so NC coaches are more willing to take what SC coaches would consider bad to mid-level SC jobs.

Another reason why NC coaches are getting jobs in SC is because it is much easier to get Head Coach experience in NC. There are a lot more schools in NC and coaches get head jobs much earlier in their career than SC coaches.

When schools see a coach with Head Coaching experience from NC applying for jobs that only SC assistant coaches are applying for, they often get hired.

Many of my friends who have moved to SC head jobs talk about their favorable “teaching” schedules when comparing the two states. That could mean all football players are put into classes taught by the head coach. Or if the head coach is an academic teacher then he teaches fewer classes than he would in N.C. I had a principal require that I attend all faculty meetings after school(meaning I missed half that practice). Having tha last period free during football season is another attraction to move! These little things add up!!

People asked why Knotts took the Dutch Fork job, because the other jobs he went after did not hire him or even show much interest. DF was high pay with AD/HC position but facilities and success were not very impressive. Per him, I just wanted a job, I would make it work.

Does NC even want to keep it's coaches?
UMMM They don't even want to keep teachers. Again all you have to do is look at the General Assembly and how they have systematically taken public education apart the past 10-12 years. And fellas it's only going to get worse. Coaches are in that group. You get what you voted for guys. Also with every state that touches NC paying more you will see coaches/teachers leaving for SC, TN, VA, GA.

UMMM They don't even want to keep teachers. Again all you have to do is look at the General Assembly and how they have systematically taken public education apart the past 10-12 years. And fellas it's only going to get worse. Coaches are in that group. You get what you voted for guys.
In 2009 or so I got into a heated discussion with a bank loan manager who said coaches should not be paid but do it for the love of the sport and the kids. I told him I agreed and the bank should not charge any interest or fees on their mortgages, loans, and other programs/offerings but do it for the good of the community. Such BS.

In 2009 or so I got into a heated discussion with a bank loan manager who said coaches should not be paid but do it for the love of the sport and the kids. I told him I agreed and the bank should not charge any interest or fees on their mortgages, loans, and other programs/offerings but do it for the good of the community. Such BS.
When I first started teaching and coaching in 1998 the teachers got a pay raise every year plus a cost of living step. The summer clinic had resumes looking for coaching/teaching jobs. Now there is none of that. Those days are long gone

Here is an example just in teachers pay in Chesapeake VA . Raleigh is the best paying county in NC for teachers and does not even come close. Again you get what you vote for
That scale is pretty fair. As I’m sure you know, legislators in NC want teachers out after a few years to lessen or eliminate the pension obligation.

Reactions: Capcity49
That scale is pretty fair. As I’m sure you know, legislators in NC want teachers out after a few years to lessen or eliminate the pension obligation.
Yep again we deserve this because we voted these fools in

Yep again we deserve this because we voted these fools in
The sad thing is that, in many cases, even many of them don’t agree with their leadership. But three or four in each chamber call all the shots. I have a couple of good friends who are Republican legislators. When the issue of control over the NCHSAA came up, both of them told me how ridiculous it was and that they needed to be concentrating on important issues. But they marched along with the rest and voted for it. The last time one of them took a different stance, his own party primaried him.

When I first started teaching and coaching in 1998 the teachers got a pay raise every year plus a cost of living step. The summer clinic had resumes looking for coaching/teaching jobs. Now there is none of that. Those days are long gone
Check out the N.C. state budget in 1989-1991! A high school teacher and football coach chaired the N.C. House Appropriations Committee. Salary increases for teachers BOTH years of the biennium was 6 1/2% per year!!! And a slight deep in the economy caused a reduction in state revenue. Where there is a will, there is a way! That same legislator co chaired the House Appropriations Committee until 1995.

I understand that both parties have blame but the GOP has taken public education apart in this state. They got rid of masters pay longevity tenure pay freezes. They are in the hook much more than the Dems. Their cheap and systematic attack on public education has lead to where we are today. Facts are facts fellas

Reactions: Crestuff
I understand that both parties have blame but the GOP has taken public education apart in this state. They got rid of masters pay longevity tenure pay freezes. They are in the hook much more than the Dems. Their cheap and systematic attack on public education has lead to where we are today. Facts are facts fellas
Excellent column in today’s Thomasville Times on this issue. Wish I could link it, but it runs in a lot of papers. Titled “Putting whole hands on the scales”. Details the intentional and gradual dismantling of traditional public schools in North Carolina.
He makes many points, but one in particular about charter schools that I have referenced. The intent of charter schools was to develop innovations in education , then pass those along to traditional schools. Not exactly how it’s worked out.

Might be behind a paywal, I am not sure. If it is copy past and link to archive.is and read article.

So here's how it goes for the new guys.... A fellow wins a State championship in North Carolina, goes to South Carolina. He wins a state championship in South Carolina, he goes to Georgia.

So here's how it goes for the new guys.... A fellow wins a State championship in North Carolina, goes to South Carolina. He wins a state championship in South Carolina, he goes to Georgia.
If a fellows family okay with that then what’s wrong with that.. People with a skill want top dollar why should Coaches take less because we want them to..😂

Retirement is the only reason at all to stay in NC. And that's debateable depending on how many years you have in and where you are. County supplements help drastically to make it worth it to stay. If you have 20 years in here it's tough to want to stay when you can make much more in SC and be vested in both states while making more money down there to invest in a personal 403B plan. They keep cutting teacher benefits here and that's a major factor in moving on if you can, IMO. The article linked above is now working and it is on the point as to the current state of public education in NC. No matter your stance, please get out and Vote!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT