ADVERTISEMENT

NW Guilford at Grimsley

Again, see my post. So much butthurt bc Grimsley is good now. The game has always been played this way..believe what you want. LOL if you think Page has never had a player transfer in from Grimsley. The schools are 2 miles apart..
I've talked to numerous people who have been going to the games since the 70s, and not a single one of them can remember a Grimsley football player coming in and playing for Page. If you know of any, by all means, let me know.

And what about East Forsyth? The school is in Kernersville LOL. Not exactly a bastion of football talent. Open enrollment..good for them they are good now and get all the kids

And what about East Forsyth? The school is in Kernersville LOL. Not exactly a bastion of football talent. Open enrollment..good for them they are good now and get all the kids
Forsyth County is a different story. They are allowed to have kids come in and play even if theyre not living in the district. So, can't really say much about it. Its within the rules for them. Page owns the series against them too, and its not even close. What you fail to understand or bring up is, when Page is rolling, everyone hates on us too. it goes both ways, and its mostly just friendly rivalry banter.

Reactions: Ukcatz92
Forsyth County is a different story. They are allowed to have kids come in and play even if theyre not living in the district. So, can't really say much about it. Its within the rules for them. Page owns the series against them too, and its not even close. When you fail to understand, is when Page is rolling, everyone hates on us too. it goes both ways, and its mostly just friendly rivalry banter.
I know man, not speaking of you in particular or anything, just the vibe of the city seems more hateful when Grimsley is good for some reason. I for one hope the Pirates get back big time soon, Gboro football is at its best when Page is good. I can’t speak to specifics but my dad says in the 80s some kids came from G district, I could be wrong! Yeah I know Page dominates E Forsyth thing all time, their posters kind of annoy me on here hating on the good Gboro teams when Forsyth county is open enrollment. E Forsyth was terrible before open enrollment

Reactions: PagePirates44
The better Grimsley gets the more Page folks want to whine. Be happy that local players are thriving at Grimsley. 4 and 5 star recruits with multiple Power 5 offers.
Most athletes today and their parents could give two craps about which school they attend. They want the best opportunity to showcase their athletes talent with good coaching, topnotch facilities and a great academic environment. Grimsley brought a state championship back to the Gate City. Celebrate that, page44, just like other members of our community celebrated Page’s and Dudley’s ‘ships.

By the way, Grimsley is currently 39-3 over the last years and will undoubtably finish the regular season at 10-0.

With no ‘Page’ players.

Reactions: Ukcatz92
In other news, Grimsley wearing Greensboro Senior High jersey's is a big slap in the face to Dudley and Greensboro's black community, because that was the name of the school back when Segregation was a thing. Who in the world thought its a good idea for them to wear these? Its not the first time its ever happened too.....

Reactions: nepsy7
The better Grimsley gets the more Page folks want to whine. Be happy that local players are thriving at Grimsley. 4 and 5 star recruits with multiple Power 5 offers.
Most athletes today and their parents could give two craps about which school they attend. They want the best opportunity to showcase their athletes talent with good coaching, topnotch facilities and a great academic environment. Grimsley brought a state championship back to the Gate City. Celebrate that, page44, just like other members of our community celebrated Page’s and Dudley’s ‘ships.

By the way, Grimsley is currently 39-3 over the last years and will undoubtably finish the regular season at 10-0.

With no ‘Page’ players.
Oh come on.. you guys know all about whining.. youve done it for the better part of the last 60 years.

Reactions: PagePirate1989
In other news, Grimsley wearing Greensboro Senior High jersey's is a big slap in the face to Dudley and Greensboro's black community, because that was the name of the school back when Segregation was a thing. Who in the world thought its a good idea for them to wear these? Its not the first time its ever happened too.....
That F you just say? They did what? When?

The F you just say? They did what? When?
Back in 2007 Grimsley thought it was a good idea to bring back Greensboro Senior High jerseys, which was the name of the school back in segregation times. The school was renamed in 1962 to Grimsley, to keep the GHS theme. Why they would ever think it was a good idea to rep that name again is beyond me and a really bad look in the eyes of many people in Greensboro. When I first looked at the pictures tonight on the News & Record website, I just shook my head again in disbelief... beside that point, it's like they are wearing Greensboro All-Star jerseys now too.

Back in 2007 Grimsley thought it was a good idea to bring back Greensboro Senior High jerseys, which was the name of the school back in segregation times. The school was renamed in 1962 to Grimsley, to keep the GHS theme. Why they would ever think it was a good idea to rep that name again is beyond me and a really bad look in the eyes of many people in Greensboro. When I first looked at the pictures tonight on the News & Record website, I just shook my head again in disbelief... beside that point, it's like they are wearing Greensboro All-Star jerseys now too.

I don’t think it was done intentionally. I’m not a Grimsley supporter at all but I really just think they wore them for the look. I agree with the All-Star jerseys though.

That game sucked for my Vikings. Refs had some awful calls but our pass defense was as bad as I've ever seen at NW.

I don’t think it was done intentionally. I’m not a Grimsley supporter at all but I really just think they wore them for the look. I agree with the All-Star jerseys though.
The Greensboro jersey used this year was to commemorate the 99 Greensboro High students who died during WW2. There is no subtle intent there.

The real insult is to have a high school from the segregation period named after a close associate of the discredited and expunged Charles B. Aycock: Walter Hines Page. His views on race weren’t quite as subtle.

The Greensboro jersey used this year was to commemorate the 99 Greensboro High students who died during WW2. There is no subtle intent there.

The real insult is to have a high school from the segregation period named after a close associate of the discredited and expunged Charles B. Aycock: Walter Hines Page. His views on race weren’t quite as subtle.
I'm not saying it was done with bad intent or intentionally, what I'm saying is it just shouldn't be done at all. There are other ways to commemorate than to wear a jersey of your old name that harkins back bad times. It's like if 50 years from now, Chambers wore Vance jerseys to commemorate something... Not a good look at all..... It just seems very poorly thought out.

Also, if W.H. Page was a bad guy, I'm sure they would change the name of the school. I've not done much research on him, so I don't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: New3ra
That claim is made only by the Greensboro All Haters.
It's a heated rivalry, Page and Grimsley hate each other, what else do you want? Respect that you don't deserve? (; teehee

EDIT: Also, let it be known that I have a great deal of respect for Grimsley at the end of the day. Page isn't what it is, without a great rival like Grimsley.

Last edited:
Reactions: RammanuelKant
Pre 1972, I think that was the year but not positive, students in the Greensboro City schools could go anywhere in the city if they had their own transportation. If a student in the city schools wanted to go to a county school, you had to pay, and vice versa. This was called the Freedom of Choice form that every student had to complete at the end of the school year. This was before the Guilford County school system and the Greensboro City schools merged to form Guilford County school system . Lots of student athletes lived in one district and went to another school. I dont have any specific names, but lots went to schools not in their " assigned " district. You could drive your own vehicle, ride with another student, or get someone to loan you a dime to arrive at your destination.

Duane Allman & Boz Scaggs ~ ''Loan Me A Dime'' 1969

That game sucked for my Vikings. Refs had some awful calls but our pass defense was as bad as I've ever seen at NW.
Don’t think you can blame the refs for anything that happened Friday night, NW just took a beating.

@RammanuelKant -- So I didn't want to bump this thread back up during the playoffs, but now that the season is over, it felt like a better time to do so.

I said that I hadn't done much research on who Walter H. Page was. Well, I spent a few hours here and there, doing some research at Greensboro's Central Library and online with North Carolina's State Library. There were a few readings I thought I would share and see if my enlightenment could be passed on to you.

His 1886 "Mummy Letters" were an outcry for progress and a means to the end of insufferable narrowness and the mediocrity of men set in their ways. A declaration of independence from the tyranny of hindering traditions of the dead weight "mummy" leaders. At the time in which Walter H. Page gave addresses, wrote editorials, articles, books, and the columns of his magazines, Aycock was a young lawyer in Goldsboro and hadn't met with Page. Aycock was not a close associate of Page. He was more of an acquaintance who seeked out advice from Page in his later years, although it seems like he didn't listen to it much. Page's prescriptions to heal the south and push it forward was Industry, Education, and Page facing the problems of the black man's place in southern life with great optimism. He based his attitude on sound democratic doctrine, writing that "in any proper scheme of education, there are no white men, no black men—only men."

"Let it be remembered, too, that education was only one of Page's interests in the South. They embraced the whole program of social progress, including political reform, agricultural development, improved sanitary and health conditions, the uplift of the black man, and cultivation of better race relations between blacks and whites, all of which be considered legitimate functions of the democratic state."

"The Pages had not sympathized with the exaggerated sectionalism of the prewar South. Walter's grandfather, Anderson Page, a member of North Carolina's unpretentious small planter class, had shaped his thinking before Jeffersonian liberalism was blighted by slavery and intersectional strife. The spirit of these earlier days was eagerly absorbed by young Walter during frequent visits to the "Old Place." To Nicholas Worth, hero of Page's semi-autobiographical novel, The Southerner, "the Old Place was the background of my life, therefore, a sort of home back of my home." Nor did Walter's father, Allison F. Page, look back fondly to the days before the war ; he had denounced secession as "the most foolhardy enterprise that man ever undertook.""

Last edited:
Reactions: RammanuelKant
@RammanuelKant -- So I didn't want to bump this thread back up during the playoffs, but now that the season is over, it felt like a better time to do so.

I said that I hadn't done much research on who Walter H. Page was. Well, I spent a few hours here and there, doing some research at Greensboro's Central Library and online with North Carolina's State Library. There were a few readings I thought I would share and see if my enlightenment could be passed on to you.

His 1886 "Mummy Letters" were an outcry for progress and a means to the end of insufferable narrowness and the mediocrity of men set in their ways. A declaration of independence from the tyranny of hindering traditions of the dead weight "mummy" leaders. At the time in which Walter H. Page gave addresses, wrote editorials, articles, books, and the columns of his magazines, Aycock was a young lawyer in Goldsboro and hadn't met with Page. Aycock was not a close associate of Page. He was more of an acquaintance who seeked out advice from Page in his later years, although it seems like he didn't listen to it much. Page's prescriptions to heal the south and push it forward was Industry, Education, and Page facing the problems of the black man's place in southern life with great optimism. He based his attitude on sound democratic doctrine, writing that "in any proper scheme of education, there are no white men, no black men—only men."

"Let it be remembered, too, that education was only one of Page's interests in the South. They embraced the whole program of social progress, including political reform, agricultural development, improved sanitary and health conditions, the uplift of the black man, and cultivation of better race relations between blacks and whites, all of which be considered legitimate functions of the democratic state."

"The Pages had not sympathized with the exaggerated sectionalism of the prewar South. Walter's grandfather, Anderson Page, a member of North Carolina's unpretentious small planter class, had shaped his thinking before Jeffersonian liberalism was blighted by slavery and intersectional strife. The spirit of these earlier days was eagerly absorbed by young Walter during frequent visits to the "Old Place." To Nicholas Worth, hero of Page's semi-autobiographical novel, The Southerner, "the Old Place was the background of my life, therefore, a sort of home back of my home." Nor did Walter's father, Allison F. Page, look back fondly to the days before the war ; he had denounced secession as "the most foolhardy enterprise that man ever undertook.""

Check Page’s relationship with J.P. Morgan while he was U.S. Ambassador to the Court of St. James during WW1. Page was a Anglophobe purportedly in the service of Jupiter and desperately tried to maneuver Wilson into the war. Page’s son eventually married Morgan’s heiress daughter, if I remember correctly.

Page was definitely a progressive and his allegorical novel praised the forward thinking people in the fictional Greensboro.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT