ADVERTISEMENT

Metro 4A Week 3

All that aside, Friday night will be a big test for Page and whether or not we can keep half our team from being recruited by Grimsley and the other half recruited by Dudley, next summer. 😂
hopefully we get open enrollment and end this conversation

I would say that unless you heard these recruitment conversations personally, then your evidence is hearsay/chatter. I have played, coached and parented in HS football programs in this area for over forty years. I have taught high school for thirty years. This is what I KNOW and not what some disgruntled coaches and boosters tell me:

1) The number of transfers is mainly driven by kids talking to other kids and by parents trying to put their student-athletes in the best situations possible. School choice is the educational buzz word of the day. I think parents recruiting schools is far more prevalent than the converse.

2) That does not mean that some coaches step over the line. I suspect many coaches that I have known would tell a kid they have seen in rec leagues and middle school games, who know their parents would casually tell a kid something along the lines of ‘why don’t you come over to Smith and play for us’. I think that is a common comment that an eager young teen would relate as ‘recruitment’. But when one goes Kovaleski level, that is true recruitment. I can think of another coach with west
Coast connections who directed players to transfer. But that is the exception rather than the rule.

3. High School athletics function like the free market where parents and kids pick what they think is best for them. The idea that some randomly drawn school district produces better athletes than others implies there is something the water. I prefer to think that quality coaching and facilities attracts transfers. I am sure the turf field at Page was in no way installed to attract players😂
agree with this 100 percent.....especially point number 1

I wish I could agree with you 100%. I'm not talking about kids talking to kids. I'm talking about coaches straight up talking to players.
It's not like it only happens when Page is down, even when Page was at peaks of strength and winning, we still would hear how James Summers was approached to come over or Diondre Overton, etc. The list is long.
We’re gonna shut this complaining down that you’ve been doing all this time and this belief that Page doesn’t/hasn’t recruited for who knows how long just like you say Grimsley or whoever else does. You know I know what I’m talking about because we’ve talked outside of this forum. Page has done the same things you accuse these other schools of doing and I know that for a fact. It’s actually funny that you mentioned two former players I know personally and used them as examples. The leading rusher and receiver on that championship team for Page in 11’ were out of district and brought over. Diondre Overton who you claim you would hear about being approached by coaches never lived in Page district a day in his life and was recruited by Page. I have coached him before in AAU, he lived 5 mins from Southeast in townhomes off of Worthing Chase Drive and one of his older brothers who wasn’t as known for sports attended Southeast the entire time he went to Page. I can go through a number of players that were brought over by Page either by assistants talking to kids or kids/parents talking to one another. Page just isn’t good right now so you sit around and complain about Grimsley recruiting. There’s not a school in the state that is just some championship winning program with home grown kids in their district year in and year out and all of these coaches do the same things just in different ways. It’s 2023 now and recruiting/transfers is nothing new so it’s time to stop talking about the same thing every year. It’s happening in just about every County. When Page is back being dominant I’m sure we won’t hear anything about it from you.

We’re gonna shut this complaining down that you’ve been doing all this time and this belief that Page doesn’t/hasn’t recruited for who knows how long just like you say Grimsley or whoever else does. You know I know what I’m talking about because we’ve talked outside of this forum. Page has done the same things you accuse these other schools of doing and I know that for a fact. It’s actually funny that you mentioned two former players I know personally and used them as examples. The leading rusher and receiver on that championship team for Page in 11’ were out of district and brought over. Diondre Overton who you claim you would hear about being approached by coaches never lived in Page district a day in his life and was recruited by Page. I have coached him before in AAU, he lived 5 mins from Southeast in townhomes off of Worthing Chase Drive and one of his older brothers who wasn’t as known for sports attended Southeast the entire time he went to Page. I can go through a number of players that were brought over by Page either by assistants talking to kids or kids/parents talking to one another. Page just isn’t good right now so you sit around and complain about Grimsley recruiting. There’s not a school in the state that is just some championship winning program with home grown kids in their district year in and year out and all of these coaches do the same things just in different ways. It’s 2023 now and recruiting/transfers is nothing new so it’s time to stop talking about the same thing every year. It’s happening in just about every County. When Page is back being dominant I’m sure we won’t hear anything about it from you.
Most of this is news to me. I know Summers was supposed to be at Page. Hatfield, I know, transferred in. I know for sure that I am not a fan of kids hopping around to other schools. Never have been, and never will be. Even when it benefits Page.

Reactions: ocdavis31
Most of this is news to me. I know Summers was supposed to be at Page. Hatfield, I know, transferred in. I know for sure that I am not a fan of kids hopping around to other schools. Never have been, and never will be. Even when it benefits Page.
Everybody says this! But with counties like Forsyth that allow this how can anything be level. They can attend any school in the county. Now you know why East Forsyth has been so dominant over the years " I Know Not This Year"

Last edited:
When Gillespie was coaching Page, I know for sure he and his staff did not go out of their way to get kids to come to Page. If they wanted to come and their parents found some means to do it (moving, rotc, IB programs, etc.), then it was what it was. But, there was no elaborate apartment scheme, middle school grandfathering in scheme or any of this stuff you hear about with what Northern did and what Grimsley is doing these days. And he sure as heck didn't allow his assistants to chirp.

There was a pretty big lineman as well was at
Western guilford….he has been mentioned before apparently he moved but I heard he just signed up for ROTC

@nwg
yes filling that stadium would be nice....however with coach Brown being so young and having a strangle hold on Greensboro talent and with Dudley being a close second I cant see page getting back for a while....and if Northwest beats page which I honestly think will happen I could see that being the nail in coffin for page football for a while...Idk though we will see
Page may as well stop playing football altogether after tomorrow night. It's over boys, was a good run.

Tanner Ballou had few interceptions last week, But he can pick you to peices if given a chance. Page needs to be careful on kickoffs they have a beast return MAN!

Last edited:
Page defense with a super gutsy performance, it's still 7-7 with 1 min left, NWG ran a reverse pass to get it down within the 15 yard line. Currently 2nd and goal.

Page tries a WR pass ball is tipped and intercepted. Page had chances to win, just wasn't able to grab a turnover or punch it in. Gritty display though. #2 was a standout for Page.

Nah, if Page didn't have 2 asst. coaches leave this summer and 12 kids (multiple D1 underclassman, all conference players, etc.) follow them out the door, we would be right there in consideration for top 25 in the state THIS year and most likely next year. Not to add on with the 3 other coaches who left our sidelines over the past couple of years (2 of which took head coaching jobs (Walkertown and Eastern Guilford) and one is now an Athletic Director). You tell me how many programs can still be successful after bringing in a new Head Coaching hire, and 5 of his assistants leave within the first 3 years. If Page can retain and develop the talent in our own district, there is plenty of reason to believe we can be back sooner rather than later. Page doesn't need help from transfers in to become successful. Page needs a head coach and his staff to stay together and work.... There is no nail in the coffin from losing a game to Northwest LOL come on man. Grimsley and Dudley feel the need to chirp in the ear of Greensboro's talent because they know Page is a sleeping giant. I heard from a SWG insider that they were supposed to be fighting for top spots in the conference this year, and Page still beat them with 12 less kids.
Yes that as a huge surprise but I know Why. Regardless it’s been a surprising season so far. SWG only lost 3 defensive guys from last year so the talent is there.

A former SWG asst coach, yes.

Also, kids don't usually transfer to Grimsley from Page, I don't see that being an issue. Dudley on the other hand has always tried luring our best players.
As I said, the talent was there and retained so the sssumption was there that a top 2 finish was expected! Look at rosters and analyze. But obviously that hasnt been the case.

Reactions: PagePirates44
it is when other counties have it and we dont....
It should never be implemented based on football or athletics in general. Open Enrollment has decimated a handful of schools and their communities in Forsyth County. It's a very lazy way to go about school districting. Have you seen any of my arguments about this topic on here? 5 or 6 of their high schools are "magnet" schools now that can barely field JV teams. It's a shame Forsyth county has open enrollment. Not because it makes a few of their teams more competitive, but because it makes that county a top heavy skeleton. Plus, we basically already have open enrollment.

Last edited:
It should never be implemented based on football or athletics in general. Open Enrollment has decimated a handful of schools and their communities in Forsyth County. It's a very lazy way to go about school districting. Have you seen any of my arguments about this topic on here? 5 or 6 of their high schools are "magnet" schools now that can barely field JV teams. It's a shame Forsyth county has open enrollment. Not because it makes a few of their teams more competitive, but because it makes that county a top heavy skeleton, athletics wise. Plus, we basically already have open enrollment.
The schools that is decimated were already on that path lol

The schools that is decimated were already on that path lol
Football programs like Carver and Parkland could be rebuilt fairly quickly if open enrollment was not a thing in Forsyth County, but because it is, those schools will need a miracle plus some to be competitive again at a state championship level. Also, because they are magnet schools now, high level athletes probably aren't going to go there even if they have a good coach, because there will be a good coach somewhere else with better competition, like EF, Tabor, WF, Reagan... etc.

Open Enrollment wouldn't help NW Guilford out much anyways, I don't think. What you should be worrying about more is when the county is going to build another high school in the NW part of the county, probably within the next 5-10 years.

Football programs like Carver and Parkland could be rebuilt fairly quickly if open enrollment was not a thing in Forsyth County, but because it is, those schools will need a miracle plus some to be competitive again at a state championship level. Also, because they are magnet schools now, high level athletes probably aren't going to go there even if they have a good coach, because there will be a good coach somewhere else with better competition, like EF, Tabor, WF, Reagan... etc.

Open Enrollment wouldn't help NW Guilford out much anyways, I don't think. What you should be worrying about more is when the county is going to build another high school in the NW part of the county, probably within the next 5-10 years.
arent those schools competing in 1a now?

open enrollment might not help my school in football and im fine with that....I like seeing representation of Guilford County schools in state championships idc who they are....It would however help my school in other sports like baseball...Every school cant be good at football and I have accepted thatand Parkland and carver need to do the same. We are a 3rd round team on our best years. I like seeing Grimsley rep greensboro much like i used to like seeing Page do the same....Open enrollment would help these schools in football even more....

arent those schools competing in 1a now?

open enrollment might not help my school in football and im fine with that....I like seeing representation of Guilford County schools in state championships idc who they are....It would however help my school in other sports like baseball...Every school cant be good at football and I have accepted thatand Parkland and carver need to do the same. We are a 3rd round team on our best years. I like seeing Grimsley rep greensboro much like i used to like seeing Page do the same....Open enrollment would help these schools in football even more....
Carver used to be very good program in Football.. Carver won 3A State titles in 1998, 2002, and a 2A runners up in 2010. They made many deep runs in the late 90s and all throughout the 2000s. They were a force in 3A Football. Then open enrollment happened and it sucked the life and community out of that school, especially the football program. Now they are 1A numbers and its hard to see a way back for them...
Again, we've seen Parkland win a 3A title in 2001, they had some deep runs around that same time, and we saw Coach Samak build the program to pretty good success after 4 tough years of building, and they were unable to keep it going because open enrollment. Basically, those two schools should be 3A schools and Winston-Salem is growing.... so you would think they would be growing schools or atleast sustaining 3A numbers, but they arent because open enrollment... North Forsyth used to be a 4A school, now they are 2A. These areas of town aren't shrinking....

Last edited:
Carver used to be very good programs in Football.. Carver won 3A State titles in 1998, 2002, and a 2A runners up in 2010. They made many deep runs in the late 90s and all throughout the 2000s. They were a force in 3A Football. Then open enrollment happened and it sucked the life and community out of that school, especially the football program. Now they are 1A numbers and its hard to see a way back for them...
Again, we've seen Parkland win a 3A title in 2001, they had some deep runs around that same time, and we saw Coach Samak build the program to pretty good success after 4 tough years of building, and they were unable to keep it going because open enrollment. Basically, those two schools should be 3A schools and Winston-Salem is growing.... so you would think they would be growing schools or atleast sustaining 3A numbers, but they arent because open enrollment... North Forsyth used to be a 4A school, now they are 2A. These areas of town aren't shrinking....
those schools could easily compete in 1a with the atheletes walking the halls with the right coach and adminstration.....you need to worry more about charter schools taking the good kids out of these schools and using your tax dollars too do so rather than open enrollment..

those schools could easily compete in 1a with the atheletes walking the halls with the right coach and adminstration.....you need to worry more about charter schools taking the good kids out of these schools and using your tax dollars too do so rather than open enrollment..
These schools should be flourishing and filled to the brim with students! Football is a great thing for communities that keeps kids out of trouble and gives them something to strive for and takes up their time after school. When you implement open enrollment, you diminish the programs at these schools, and in turn it keeps kids from turning out for a football team because they are a doormat, possibly leading to them making poor decisions instead of possibly learning some good life lessons from a football coach... idk man, i just really feel for some of these schools in Winston and their communities. I guess it is what it is.

These schools should be flourishing and filled to the brim with students! Football is a great thing for communities that keeps kids out of trouble and gives them something to strive for and takes up their time after school. When you implement open enrollment, you diminish the programs at these schools, and in turn it keeps kids from turning out for a football team because they are a doormat, possibly leading to them making poor decisions instead of possibly learning some good life lessons from a football coach... idk man, i just really feel for some of these schools in Winston and their communities. I guess it is what it is.
yeah charter schools are taking more kids than a east forsyth or west forsyth.....I dont feel for them much they would be dominant in there classification if they wanted to be but they dont hire faculty coaches and the principals think that chemistry is keeping kids in school and not football and they are wrong

yeah charter schools are taking more kids than a east forsyth or west forsyth.....I dont feel for them much they would be dominant in there classification if they wanted to be but they dont hire faculty coaches and the principals think that chemistry is keeping kids in school and not football and they are wrong
99% of charter schools in our area don't have athletics programs. So, that is a moot point.

99% of charter schools in our area don't have athletics programs. So, that is a moot point.
They have sports just not football…..yet it’s coming…..regardless charter schools are basically a way to legally segregate our kids…..there is a “lottery” system that always finds a way to get certain kids out….idc if kids
Go to private schools because parents take money out of there check to send them….but I want my tad dollars going to PUBLIC schools

Another prob with Carver is they built walkertown hs. It just seems alot of hs not far from each other. I live in Kernersville and get get to Glenn, E Forsyth, Atkins, Walkertown; Carver, ws prep in less than 15 min

looks like with New Bern having acedemically ineligable players in 2022 that Grimsley wins another state title....Congrats Coach Brown

looks like with New Bern having acedemically ineligable players in 2022 that Grimsley wins another state title....Congrats Coach Brown
The title is just vacated with no declared winner. New Bern only beat Millbrook the week before by a touchdown and we can’t just assume Grimsley would’ve won and crown them champs. Besides who would want a championship in a game you didn’t actually win in between the lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: PagePirates44
The title is just vacated with no declared winner. New Bern only beat Millbrook the week before by a touchdown and we can’t just assume Grimsley would’ve won and crown them champs. Besides who would want a championship in a game you didn’t actually win in between the lines.
I agree with what your saying but the article I read had the word forfeit not vacated.....Im not saying your wrong but when a team forfiets that team gets a loss and other team a win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT