ADVERTISEMENT

Metro 4A Week 3

PagePirates44

Aug 15, 2004
Metro 4A Conference going into week 2 of conference play.

Grimsley 1-0 (4-0) Beat Southeast 56-0
NW Guilford 1-0 (3-1) Beat Western 52-0
Page 1-0 (1-3) Beat Southwest 22-19
Ragsdale 1-0 (1-3) Beat Northern 22-20
SW Guilford 0-1 (2-2)
SE Guilford 0-1 (2-2)
W Guilford 0-1 (1-3)
N Guilford 0-1 (0-4)

This weeks match ups

(#1) Grimsley @ (#2) Northwest
(#3) Page @ (#4) Ragsdale
(#5) Southwest @ (#7) Western
(#6) Southeast @ (#8) Northern

Maxpreps has different standings based on Conference Record and then PF/PA. I'm basing this off of Conference record and then Non-conference record.

Don’t think anyone can seriously challenge the Whirlies. NW May be the stiffest challenge this Friday.
Yeah, more than likely. Although, thats the same exact sentiment that was said last year, and the score against Page was 27-22.

You know times are lean when you glory in closer than expected losses. Simmons Ratings give the Whirlies a 33 point edge on NW. 55 point spread for PHS.
You are right, I don't know how to act in times like this.. We are new to lean times at Page. You guys have had plenty of them.. please... tell me all about them ;P

Last edited:
Interesting note from Simmons Ratings. 3-1 NW Guilford is ranked two places behind 0-4 Reagan. Strength of opponent and point differential seem to outweigh wins and losses.

Reactions: CPC4LIFE
Metro 4A Conference going into Week 3 of conference play.

Grimsley 2-0 (5-0) defeated Northwest 48-14
Page 2-0 (2-3) defeated Ragsdale 6-0
NW Guilford 1-1 (3-2)
SW Guilford 1-1 (3-2) Defeated Western 52-7
Ragsdale 1-1 (1-4)
N Guilford 1-1 (1-4) Defeated Southeast 42-14
SE Guilford 0-2 (2-3)
W Guilford 0-2 (1-4)

Week 3 match ups (In Order of importance to playoff implications)

(#3) Northwest @ (#2) Page
(#6) Northern @ (#4) Southwest
(#5) Ragsdale @ (#7) Southeast
(#8) Western @ (#1) Grimsley

One thing I know many people are itching to see would be for Page and Grimsley to both go into their match up against each other, undefeated in the conference. Would be a sought after spectacle to see both teams 5-0 with a conference title on the line.

One thing I know many people are itching to see would be for Page and Grimsley to both go into their match up against each other, undefeated in the conference. Would be a sought after spectacle to see both teams 5-0 with a conference title on the line.
a spectacle until after the kickoff lol

Do you Greensboro guys think Grimsley is better than last year?
Probably about the same, but its hard to tell. Last years QB Ryan Stephens really added another dynamic to the Grimsley offense. Also, im uncertain that the defense has gotten better. Probably about the same there too. Tough losing that middle linebacker from last year.

I'm assuming you've never been to a Page/Grimsley game.
I have….grew up going to a lot of them especially in the late 90’s….it was an electric atmosphere. Heard stories of the80’s legendary teams….went to one about 5 years ago and it was nothing like it used to be extremely disappointing….

I have….grew up going to a lot of them especially in the late 90’s….it was an electric atmosphere. Heard stories of the80’s legendary teams….went to one about 5 years ago and it was nothing like it used to be extremely disappointing….
Then you would know that even when one team is a huge favorite, that its atleast a close game for a half. Last year Grimsley was a 40 point favorite and won by 5.

I went to Summerfield Elementary and Northwest Guilford in middle school when I was young, so I tend to have a soft spot for Northwest.

Then you would know that even when one team is a huge favorite, that it’s atleast a close game for a half. Last year Grimsley was a 40 point favorite and won by 5.
Yeah most rivalry games are like that….I was talking more about atmosphere and attendance….I watched some clips on YouTube of Tripp welbotne years and I bet there were 15k people there….no where near that anymore

Yeah most rivalry games are like that….I was talking more about atmosphere and attendance….I watched some clips on YouTube of Tripp welbotne years and I bet there were 15k people there….no where near that anymore
Public interest in high school ball as cities get bigger wanes over time, we are seeing this in Greensboro over the years (much like how its happened in Charlotte). Also, it just seems so unrealistic for both teams to be good (ranked top 10 in the state) at the same time. It hasn't happened in many many years. Before the turn of the Century, Page pretty much dominated the series. But, for the past 25 years, it's Ebbs and Flows for the two schools. In the early to mid 2000s Page had its first down period after Coach Kirby left and Coach King stepped down. Grimsley had a spell of strong years during this period beating Page for 3 years in a row and making a state title game appearance. Shortly after this, Page hired Gillespie and saw Page rebuild while Grimsley took a nosedive. Page won 12 years straight and then the Rolfes fiasco happened, while Grimsley hired Coach Brown and Albright, giving Grimsley the upper hand. With the current sustained success at Grimsley, Page should be able to get right fairly soon given Robertson stays and keeps continuity within the coaching staff, and if for some reason he doesnt stay, a new coach will be brought in and will build things back up. Hopefully both programs can be strong at the same time, and we can fill Jamieson Stadium like the good ole days.

Reactions: ecu424
I went to Summerfield Elementary and Northwest Guilford in middle school when I was young, so I tend to have a soft spot for Northwes

Public interest in high school ball as cities get bigger wanes over time, we are seeing this in Greensboro over the years (much like how its happened in Charlotte). Also, it just seems so unrealistic for both teams to be good (ranked top 10 in the state) at the same time. It hasn't happened in many many years. Before the turn of the Century, Page pretty much dominated the series. But, for the past 25 years, it's Ebbs and Flows for the two schools. In the early to mid 2000s Page had its first down period after Coach Kirby left and Coach King stepped down. Grimsley had a spell of strong years during this period beating Page for 3 years in a row and making a state title game appearance. Shortly after this, Page hired Gillespie and saw Page rebuild while Grimsley took a nosedive. Page won 12 years straight and then the Rolfes fiasco happened, while Grimsley hired Coach Brown and Albright, giving Grimsley the upper hand. With the current sustained success at Grimsley, Page should be able to get right fairly soon given Robertson stays and keeps continuity within the coaching staff, and if for some reason he doesnt stay, a new coach will be brought in and will build things back up. Hopefully both programs can be strong at the same time, and we can fill Jamieson Stadium like the good ole days.
yes filling that stadium would be nice....however with coach Brown being so young and having a strangle hold on Greensboro talent and with Dudley being a close second I cant see page getting back for a while....and if Northwest beats page which I honestly think will happen I could see that being the nail in coffin for page football for a while...Idk though we will see

yes filling that stadium would be nice....however with coach Brown being so young and having a strangle hold on Greensboro talent and with Dudley being a close second I cant see page getting back for a while....and if Northwest beats page which I honestly think will happen I could see that being the nail in coffin for page football for a while...Idk though we will see
Nah, if Page didn't have 2 asst. coaches leave this summer and 12 kids (multiple D1 underclassman, all conference players, etc.) follow them out the door, we would be right there in consideration for top 25 in the state THIS year and most likely next year. Not to add on with the 3 other coaches who left our sidelines over the past couple of years (2 of which took head coaching jobs (Walkertown and Eastern Guilford) and one is now an Athletic Director). You tell me how many programs can still be successful after bringing in a new Head Coaching hire, and 5 of his assistants leave within the first 3 years. If Page can retain and develop the talent in our own district, there is plenty of reason to believe we can be back sooner rather than later. Page doesn't need help from transfers in to become successful. Page needs a head coach and his staff to stay together and work.... There is no nail in the coffin from losing a game to Northwest LOL come on man. Grimsley and Dudley feel the need to chirp in the ear of Greensboro's talent because they know Page is a sleeping giant. I heard from a SWG insider that they were supposed to be fighting for top spots in the conference this year, and Page still beat them with 12 less kids.

Last edited:
Nah, if Page didn't have 2 asst. coaches leave this summer and 12 kids (multiple D1 underclassman, all conference players, etc.) follow them out the door, we would be right there in consideration for top 25 in the state THIS year and most likely next year. Not to add on with the 3 other coaches who left our sidelines over the past couple of years (2 of which took head coaching jobs (Walkertown and Eastern Guilford) and one is now an Athletic Director). You tell me how many programs can still be successful after bringing in a new Head Coaching hire, and 5 of his assistants leave within the first 3 years. If Page can retain and develop the talent in our own district, there is plenty of reason to believe we can be back sooner rather than later. Page doesn't need help from transfers in to become successful. Page needs a head coach and his staff to stay together and work.... There is no nail in the coffin from losing a game to Northwest LOL come on man. Grimsley and Dudley feel the need to chirp in the ear of Greensboro's talent because they know Page is a sleeping giant. I heard from a SWG insider that they were supposed to be fighting for top spots in the conference this year, and Page still beat them with 12 less kids.
Come on now.. Dudley don't need to chirp. Kids want to play for Coach Davis and play for Black Cat University🐾. Dudley's ALWAYS had talent prior to Davis we just had bad coaches. Page Hall of Fame coach Marion Kirby said back in the day. If he had the talent at Dudley he would beat his own team and we're talking great Page teams.

The ridiculous implication that Page doesn’t recruit and need only nurture the kids in their district to be dominant once again is laughable. Especially coming from a guy who played at Page but in this thread asserts his Summerfield/NW roots!

I am surprised they even let you enroll, given their unassailable history of rejecting transfers.😂😂😂

you heard from a swg insider they were suppose to be fighting for top spots in the conference?!?! was he drinking out of a brown paper sack when telling you this? lol Yes you are correct if Page retains its talent it will be a good football school again....I am saying they will not be able to retain the talent due to other schools in county being a more promising place....Bottom line is the kids seem to LOVE playing at Grimsley and Dudley now. Dont you think these kids will talk to there page friends about how great there school is as well which will lead to more transfers?

The ridiculous implication that Page doesn’t recruit and need only nurture the kids in their district to be dominant once again is laughable. Especially coming from a guy who played at Page but in this thread asserts his Summerfield/NW roots!

I am surprised they even let you enroll, given their unassailable history of rejecting transfers.😂😂😂
I never played for Page. Also where I lived in Lake Jeanette was redistricted to Mendenhall Middle (Page District) my 7th grade year. But good try lol

Last edited:
Come on now.. Dudley don't need to chirp. Kids want to play for Coach Davis and play for Black Cat University🐾. Dudley's ALWAYS had talent prior to Davis we just had bad coaches. Page Hall of Fame coach Marion Kirby said back in the day. If he had the talent at Dudley he would beat his own team and we're talking great Page teams.
Then why do we hear basically every summer since I can remember one of our best players heard from a Dudley assistant about coming to play for them?

you heard from a swg insider they were suppose to be fighting for top spots in the conference?!?! was he drinking out of a brown paper sack when telling you this? lol Yes you are correct if Page retains its talent it will be a good football school again....I am saying they will not be able to retain the talent due to other schools in county being a more promising place....Bottom line is the kids seem to LOVE playing at Grimsley and Dudley now. Dont you think these kids will talk to there page friends about how great there school is as well which will lead to more transfers?
A former SWG asst coach, yes.

Also, kids don't usually transfer to Grimsley from Page, I don't see that being an issue. Dudley on the other hand has always tried luring our best players.

A former SWG asst coach, yes.

Also, kids don't usually transfer to Grimsley from Page, I don't see that being an issue. Dudley on the other hand has always tried luring our best players.
so no member of Grimsleys football team is a former Pirate?

Not that I know of... They had the 5 kids come over from Page back when Robertson took the job at Page... QB Barnett RB Melton and a few other guys. But nothing since then.
you seem to knoew your stuff...so where did the 12 kids that transfer go?

you seem to knoew your stuff...so where did the 12 kids that transfer go?
1 went to Dudley, 1 E Guilford, 2 NE Guilford, 1 Reidsville, 1 Woodbury Forest, 1 Northern, 1 Bishop McGuinness, the others have slipped my mind... it was rough trying to keep count.

Then why do we hear basically every summer since I can remember one of our best players heard from a Dudley assistant about coming to play for thethem

Well winning helps! You don't think these kids don't talk in camps about linking up? A lot of them played together before highschool ball. Not only that, Coach Davis has ties to Page just like Smith has ties with Dudey with Coach McKee R.I.P . No one complained when Page was getting Dudley kids in the 90's. One of Pages greatest backs ever Carlos Doggett was supposed to go to Dudley. It's simple you build it , they come. Another thing is it's not just football, it's the culture and pride at Black Cat University 🐾. Page will come back strong I really believe that. One thing they can't say about Dudley we didn't have our downs.

Reactions: PagePirates44
Well winning helps! You don't think these kids don't talk in camps about linking up? A lot of them played together before highschool ball. Not only that, Coach Davis has ties to Page just like Smith has ties with Dudey with Coach McKee R.I.P . No one complained when Page was getting Dudley kids in the 90's. One of Pages greatest backs ever Carlos Doggett was supposed to go to Dudley. It's simple you build it , they come. Another thing is it's not just football, it's the culture and pride at Black Cat University 🐾. Page will come back strong I really believe that. One thing they can't say about Dudley we didn't have our downs.
I wish I could agree with you 100%. I'm not talking about kids talking to kids. I'm talking about coaches straight up talking to players.
It's not like it only happens when Page is down, even when Page was at peaks of strength and winning, we still would hear how James Summers was approached to come over or Diondre Overton, etc. The list is long.

I wish I could agree with you 100%. I'm not talking about kids talking to kids. I'm talking about coaches straight up talking to players.
It's not like it only happens when Page is down, even when Page was at peaks of strength and winning, we still would hear how James Summers was approached to come over or Diondre Overton, etc. The list is Have a

To your point I will say , it do be a little chatter🤣

I would say that unless you heard these recruitment conversations personally, then your evidence is hearsay/chatter. I have played, coached and parented in HS football programs in this area for over forty years. I have taught high school for thirty years. This is what I KNOW and not what some disgruntled coaches and boosters tell me:

1) The number of transfers is mainly driven by kids talking to other kids and by parents trying to put their student-athletes in the best situations possible. School choice is the educational buzz word of the day. I think parents recruiting schools is far more prevalent than the converse.

2) That does not mean that some coaches step over the line. I suspect many coaches that I have known would tell a kid they have seen in rec leagues and middle school games, who know their parents would casually tell a kid something along the lines of ‘why don’t you come over to Smith and play for us’. I think that is a common comment that an eager young teen would relate as ‘recruitment’. But when one goes Kovaleski level, that is true recruitment. I can think of another coach with west
Coast connections who directed players to transfer. But that is the exception rather than the rule.

3. High School athletics function like the free market where parents and kids pick what they think is best for them. The idea that some randomly drawn school district produces better athletes than others implies there is something the water. I prefer to think that quality coaching and facilities attracts transfers. I am sure the turf field at Page was in no way installed to attract players😂

Reactions: ecu424
All that aside, Friday night will be a big test for Page and whether or not we can keep half our team from being recruited by Grimsley and the other half recruited by Dudley, next summer. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: shutdownD24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT