ADVERTISEMENT

Northwest/MVAC Early Season Thoughts

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
Hi Folks,

Season's getting closer thank goodness. I speak for the choir here but I'm beyond ready for August..

Anyway's.. I have a few suprises in store for you folks for this fall. The first one is that I'm gonna do a season preview here before August. I'm currently preparing it in fact but it's just taking a little longer than I hoped. I'm gonna do all three conferences but for this thread itself I'm just focusing on the 1A and split conference.

So in a nutshell; what's everyone's thoughts? Will the Northwest be the Bear/Cardinal show again or will someone come in from behind? What about the MVAC, will it's parity continue?

Remember.. no one's wrong here. That's the beauty of the pre-season; we all have no darn clue! If this goes well I may have some more stuff come thru. So have fun :).

I expect bigger things from East Wilkes than East Surry, but I might be way off. The opening game should tell us a lot about these 2 teams. Mount Airy should probably win conference, but I don't know if they'll have the ponies to make it to the 3rd or 4th round, especially if they go small. The 3 M's (Murphy Mitchell Mountain Island) will all be loaded for bear.(no pun intended)

Slash,

Can't wait for your review, should be good as usual. Hopefully you will be doing the other Area conference on the 2A board.

if Bears can replace O line, will be strong....D will have good size and skill.....as for going 1A, just graduated 133 with 130 coming in.....one of Bears biggest losses was leadership; but they'll be in the mix

Surry County schools have not even graduated yet!!!
They will be behind other schools for summer workouts in all sports.

I expect bigger things from East Wilkes than East Surry, but I might be way off. The opening game should tell us a lot about these 2 teams. Mount Airy should probably win conference, but I don't know if they'll have the ponies to make it to the 3rd or 4th round, especially if they go small. The 3 M's (Murphy Mitchell Mountain Island) will all be loaded for bear.(no pun intended)

Bold and ballsy post off the bat.. I LIKE IT. That's what I want here :).

I agree; it's gonna be GOW for the opening week and there are no doubts there. I think everyone can agree with that. As for what to expect I have no clue; my gut says one way but my brain says another. It's gonna be the two best JV squads the last few years opening it off so there's no room for error and we will see a lot about both. Hope this becomes a recurring matchup again because they had a good series in the NW days.

If MA goes small I'd LOVE to see them play MI Charter. I'd pay to sit in the cold for that. A Mitchell rematch would be sweet as well.

Surry Central graduates Thurs., East Surry graduates Friday,and North Surry graduates Sat. . So no Surry County high schools have started summer workouts yet. There are three school systems in the county of Surry. Mt. Airy City Schools is separate and they have graduated and started summer workouts. I do not know about the Elkin City Schools.

I don't understand why the schools around the triad don't start earlier in the fall anyway. Exams could be finished before Christmas break, the first two games wouldn't be held before kids are in school, and everyone would be done by the first of June.

East Wilkes, East Surry, Wilkes Central, MA, West Stokes, Carver and Walkertown should all be pretty good with MA, ES and EW all being contenders in their respective divisions. East Surry and East Wilkes play the first game of the season and will be an early indication of what these teams have. Other games of note:

8/25: MA @ West Stokes. Always a battle between these two programs and a true measuring stick used to gauge both teams.

8/25: Alexander Central @ Wilkes Central. An extremely tough test for WC and with two 4a opponents on the schedule this season, the Eagles will be well prepared for anything the conference throws at them.

9/15: North Surry @ MA. Always a tough game between these two. NS is a solid team and will learn a lot about themselves this game.

9/22: West Stokes @ Walkertown. Conference championships implications potentially on the line here.

9/29: West Stokes @ Carver. See abkbe. Carver has and always will have fantastic talent regardless who is coaching them. They have the talent to play with just about anyone.

11/3: Wilkes Central @ East Wilkes. Last game of the season for what should amount to the defacto conference championship.

11/3: MA @ East Surry. See above.

As always I like to rank the area teams (1a/2a) in a combined power ranking. 1a teams will lead the charge going in to the season. I'll add more on my opinion in the coming days. Here they are:

1). East Surry - extremely well coached and bring back a ton of talent.
2). Mt. Airy - see above
3). Wilkes Central - athletic and speedy and year 4 under this new system should pay dividends.
4). West Stokes - continuity and a great feeder program with solid coaching has done wonders for this program.
5). Carver - extremely athletic and fast. They lose a lot but there's a ton of talent to go around in Winston.
6). East Wilkes - they could move up to number one as early as week one. This team will be a contender.
7). Walkertown - athletic but lose a lot.
8). North Surry
9). North Wilkes
10.) Surry Central - can the Eagles build on last years success.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT