ADVERTISEMENT

Nixon Return to Rowan Co; Mooresville Search

BlueDevil1996

May 20, 2020
This morning Coach Nixon informed the players at Mooresville that he is returning to Rowan Co as The County AD

Mooresville will have a short time to prepare as Off season stuff has started and almost time for Football to rampage right back up

Few names to consisder
Damon Mckee
Jonathan Oliphant
Matt Jenkins
Jamelle Byrd

• Wow
Reactions: Champ_24
Damn not the news I expected to see this AM. Nixon did a helluva job for us, best of luck to him and his family in his next endeavor! Great man, and a great family!

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
In 4 years at the helm

Nixon was 30-12 (20-6) with 2 conference championships.

Will be interesting to see what direction we go. We’ve got as much talent now as we’ve had for awhile. And obviously strong community backing.

Any Coaches on Staff that can take over?
Yes.

I think Coach Yow would be a heck of a choice and seem like Coach Zack Mayo is a name that been in the mix but he would be a first yr HC n Mooresville usually never does hire a first yr HC so

Better throw the kitchen sink at Oliphant and see if he wants to come back home. He has a pretty good thing going at "The Lake" - but I could see him coming back to Mooresville to take this one.

I would throw everything at Coach Glass in Hickory or Coach Smith at Dudley. Either one would turn Mooresville into a state contender immediately

Hahaha, some fun names being thrown around!

This late in the spring, I would look on staff first. You've got three heavy-hitter assistant coaches who can keep some continuity. Whether young and up & coming Zach Mayo (future star) or known commodities in Daniel Yow or DeVore Hollman, they have some strong pieces on staff.

Then I'd widen the search and look in the community.

Of course Damon McKee or Jonathan Oliphant should be considered if they were interested just because of their familiarity of the program and their recent successes.

I would possibly think outside of the area and the box on this one.

Yes.... Call Matt Jenkins today. He would be a great fit. I'm sure he'd be interested if Mooresville called. I'd also make some calls across the lake, David Lubowicz at East Lincoln would be really high on my radar, or Brian Hinson at West Cabarrus.

Just a shot in the dark, but I'd call Brett Chappell who was previously the head coach at Pisgah. This man is a coaching superstar that routinely wins 9-10 games a year. I know very well what Mooresville Football is and the kind of men they like, and Chappell fits that mold perfectly.

Want an old-timer? The pull and friends Hal Capps still has in the community is strong. Why not consider him as an interim since it's so late in the game.

This late in the spring, I would look on staff first. You've got three heavy-hitter assistant coaches who can keep some continuity. Whether young and up & coming Zach Mayo (future star) or known commodities in Daniel Yow or DeVore Hollman, they have some strong pieces on staff.

Of course Damon McKee or Jonathan Oliphant should be considered if they were interested just because of their familiarity of the program and their recent successes.

Yes.... Call Matt Jenkins today. He would be a great fit. I'm sure he'd be interested if Mooresville called. I'd also make some calls across the lake, David Lubowicz at East Lincoln would be really high on my radar, or Brian Hinson at West Cabarrus.

Just a shot in the dark, but I'd call Brett Chappell who was previously the head coach at Pisgah. This man is a coaching superstar that routinely wins 9-10 games a year. I know very well what Mooresville Football is and the kind of men they like, and Chappell fits that mold perfectly.

Want an old-timer? The pull and friends Hal Capps still has in the community is strong. Why not consider him as an interim since it's so late in the game.
I have no issue with anyone you name

Idk who the funny names but I’ll explain mine

Coach Byrd is long shot but he was at one time interested in our job

Also Richard Bailey again a long shot but we all know he wants out at Scotland and He had yet to find a job in SC so I would take em at Mooresville imo

Also I would also put Hellams back into the mix as I know he would be a good one to have back

With the resources, facilities, community support, and just the brand that Mooresville has seemed to have always had - it's crazy to think they have NEVER won a football state championship. I know there is a lot of tradition and tremendous pride there in Mooresville, but it's just wild to me that they have never, once, won a state championship. Have they ever made it to a state final in football?

With the resources, facilities, community support, and just the brand that Mooresville has seemed to have always had - it's crazy to think they have NEVER won a football state championship. I know there is a lot of tradition and tremendous pride there in Mooresville, but it's just wild to me that they have never, once, won a state championship. Have they ever made it to a state final in football?
1961 I believe we did but isn’t recognize by NCHSAA- closest we been is 2011 but we have struggled mighty since 2011 to make it past the 2nd round n have yet to do so

Also Mooresville struggles against team with better or similar talent like Grimsley , Butler , Etc

Zero chance.... ZERO CHANCE that Richard Bailey ever considers Mooresville. If it were 20 years ago, maybe. But with his current setup in Scotland (and his wife's as principal) and the age of his son (currently in HS).... he won't be taking another job in NC. (Unless it is after he retires, goes to SC, then comes back in about 10 years.)

I feel certain that had it not been for him being named the head coach for the NC Shrine Bowl team, that he'd already be in SC today.

Their is alot of programs like that have never won a State Title. Davie County is another eventhough they made it in small 4A 2010. Only to lose 40-0 to Durham Hillside.

I have no issue with anyone you name

Idk who the funny names but I’ll explain mine
For the record, your names were not what I found funny.

Byrd is probably a definite a stretch based on the criteria Mooresville will set (success as a head coach), but he's a fine coach and there are lot of programs in this state that would be lucky to have him.

I just don't see Mooresville selecting a non-head coach unless it is Mayo on staff.

Reactions: MHSBigBlue06
Their is alot of programs like that have never won a State Title. Davie County is another eventhough they made it in small 4A 2010. Only to lose 40-0 to Durham Hillside.

Until the state expands to 5,6, 7, or 8 classes; Mooresville most likely will never be the kind of program that can win a state title. It's sadly a numbers game and they're just too small to compete with the big schools and too big to be placed with the teams more on their level.

If this was 2-3 years in the future… first name on my list would be Brad Van Horn.

If this was 2-3 years in the future… first name on my list would be Brad Van Horn.

Van Horn is a phenomenal coach, and those in coaching circles know it. Sadly, it isn't coaches who make hires.

Administrators like to look a resumes and past results often times, and he needs to build a resume as a proven head coach. Sometimes, no matter how much of a genius coordinator or great position coach you are, until you can get a head coaching gig, you won't be taken very seriously by principals and school boards.

Jokingly I said yesterday concerning the eclipse. Will it bring about strange things in HS football this year. Well I certainly was kidding but I didn’t see this coming about Coach Nixon leaving head coach from Mooresville. I wish him all the best.

Reactions: TopspinDaddy66
Jokingly I said yesterday concerning the eclipse. Will it bring about strange things in HS football this year. Well I certainly was kidding but I didn’t see this coming about Coach Nixon leaving head coach from Mooresville. I wish him all the best.

It was just kept really quiet. I have been tracking this for quite a while. But I don't blame Coach Nixon, he has to do what's right by his family and his career progression.

Rumor going around that the former Pisgah coach is heading to Chesnee in South Carolina.

Reactions: beamer24
If there’s one thing the Nixon era taught me… I’m not going to judge a hire before they get a couple seasons in first.

I was critical of MVL picking up Nixon when they did… I was dead wrong lol.

If there’s one thing the Nixon era taught me… I’m not going to judge a hire before they get a couple seasons in first.

I was critical of MVL picking up Nixon when they did… I was dead wrong lol.
I am not sure if Nixon ever beat Mooresville or not when he was at West Rowan and his first year at Mooresville was rough, but that can probably be blamed on Wells.

Mooresville was good in 2018 with Wells, but then went downhill quickly in 2019 as his influence on the program became more apparent. They had a lot of the same players back in 2019, but the performance really dropped off.

I remember seeing a few plays of a JV game one year where Wells had his offensive linemen spread all over the field in WR stances.

It was just kept really quiet. I have been tracking this for quite a while. But I don't blame Coach Nixon, he has to do what's right by his family and his career progression.
I would think Oliphant would give a big FU to those shites. He should stay where he is get a few more non IB athletes and rub mooresvilles nose in it.

I would think Oliphant would give a big FU to those shites. He should stay where he is get a few more non IB athletes and rub mooresvilles nose in it.
Ummmm didn’t Mooresville beat them this past season 34-7. I love Coach O but He would need a lot more and also LN is young this year coming up

They did but he will get there. A travesty he got passed over for that job. It's only wishful thinking but I hope he whips your tail two times a year.
Mooresville has more talent so I don’t see LN winning regardless of who the coach at LN is. LN will be young this season

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT