ADVERTISEMENT

"My" 2A East Pre-Season Top Ten Poll

Tigerfan3847

Aug 25, 2019
Had some time the past few weeks to put together an early preseason poll for the 2A East.
I heard rumors of transfers and such so this will change of course but just my take. Hope you like!

10. Roanoke Rapids
Roanoke Rapids comes in at number 10 in the preseason poll. Leading the way should be QB Jon Temple
and 1000 yard returning rusher Austin Geary. Athlete Matthew MacNichol should be utilized all over
the field for the Yellow Jackets. Their defense should be improved as well with 9 of 11 players returning.

9. Hertford County
Coach Saxby always has a ton of athletes in Ahoskie and this year should be no different. 2024 QB
Keveon Rodgers looks to improve on a very good Soph season. He is a big, athletic QB that can cause
trouble for any defense. Isreal Powell is a big receiver as well who has good hands and leaping ability.

8. Cummings
Cummings top two rushers return plus All-Everything Jonathan Paylor (As of now). Nothing more needs
to be said if he’s there, Cummings will be in almost every game.

7. Whiteville
Whiteville will always have athletes and a system but they lost a lot of experience from last year
however, from what I’ve heard, their young guns are ready to roll! I have them at number 7 based off of
historical consistency.

6. St. Pauls
When you have one of the top RB’s in the State returning you have to be in consideration as a top team.
Not sure how many O-linemen return but Baldwin will still be a problem for most defenses. I see them
as a possible final four team.

5. Clinton
I went back and forth with how I would place the top five. I was told that Clinton has a transfer WR to go
along with Evans and Goodman. Blake Smith was a great leader but I’m sure Coach Johnson will have a
balanced attack this year w/ his new QB. Clinton could very well end up coming out of the East.

4. East Duplin
The East Duplin/Princeton Game in August should be as high level as there 36-30 game was last season.
The Panthers top 5 rushers’ return and I have high expectations for Coach Holley and Company as they
are always a tough out.

3. Princeton
6’5 300 OL Jake Crocker will lead the way for Christian Perris and Brandon Turner this season. After an
impressive 13-1 season where the Bulldogs came up a few plays short of defeating WR-Hill for a spot in
the State Championship game. Princeton should find itself in the same situation this year. Losing QB/LB
Edens does hurt so filling that void as a leader will be key to their success.

2. Elizabeth City Northeastern
A few weeks ago, I had Northeastern lower in my poll based on the fact that they lost some big names
from last year including All-State Freshwater and EJ Gatling. However after my research the last few
weeks and their performances this summer, the cupboard is far from bare. Shamar Sutton is definitely
one of the best receivers in the State, I saw him score easily against Providence Day and their loaded
secondary at the UNC King of the Hill. QB Jalen Melson has a lethal arm and 2024 RB Tyselle Spencer will
be special. Look for the Eagles to be right back in contention.

1. Wallace Rose-Hill
To be the man, you have to beat the man. This is why the Bulldogs are #1 right now. Replacing a Kanye
will be difficult if not impossible but we said that when Javonte left there also. Who is up next in the
great tradition of RB’s? Pearsall and Montgomery should provide great leadership to the host of young
guns and transfers. This should be a fun season in the 2A East!!!

Honorable Mention- (My) James Kenan Tigers, West Craven, Washington, and Edenton Holmes

Last edited:
5. Clinton
I went back and forth with how I would place the top five. I was told that Clinton has a transfer WR to go
along with Evans and Goodman. Blake Smith was a great leader but I’m sure Coach Johnson will have a
balanced attack this year w/ his new QB. Clinton could very well end up coming out of the East.
You are correct Josiah McLaurin comes to Clinton from Hobbton where he had 1288 yards receiving and 26 total TDs his sophomore year will help fill a void left by Patrick Morrisley graduating. 16 returning players on defensive side of the ball and the return of Coach McFatten should hopefully help turn around what was a weakness for us last season. Early speculation looks like sophomore Nydarion Blackwell will get the nod at QB dual threat like Blake maybe not as much as a bruiser as Blake but faster I think. Goes about 6’2-6’3ish super athletic hopefully he continues to grow into that frame. Not sure if he will stay at QB remaining years with his athleticism move to another skill position especially once 2027 QB Ethan Royal comes over. My bigger concern is the offensive line had a lot to replace upfront. In all honesty for a preseason poll we may be slightly too high maybe 7-9 range in the 2A east 15-20 range overall 2A until proven. We get a chance early in the season at #1 Wallace

Had some time the past few weeks to put together an early preseason poll for the 2A East.
I heard rumors of transfers and such so this will change of course but just my take. Hope you like!

10. Roanoke Rapids
Roanoke Rapids comes in at number 10 in the preseason poll. Leading the way should be QB Jon Temple
and 1000 yard returning rusher Austin Geary. Athlete Matthew MacNichol should be utilized all over
the field for the Yellow Jackets. Their defense should be improved as well with 9 of 11 players returning.

9. Hertford County
Coach Saxby always has a ton of athletes in Ahoskie and this year should be no different. 2024 QB
Keveon Rodgers looks to improve on a very good Soph season. He is a big, athletic QB that can cause
trouble for any defense. Isreal Powell is a big receiver as well who has good hands and leaping ability.

8. Cummings
Cummings top two rushers return plus All-Everything Jonathan Paylor (As of now). Nothing more needs

7. Whiteville
Whiteville will always have athletes and a system but they lost a lot of experience from last year
however, from what I’ve heard, their young guns are ready to roll! I have them at number 7 based off of
historical consistency.

6. St. Pauls
When you have one of the top RB’s in the State returning you have to be in consideration as a top team.
Not sure how many O-linemen return but Baldwin will still be a problem for most defenses. I see them

5. Clinton

4. East Duplin
The East Duplin/Princeton Game in August should be as high level as there 36-30 game was last season.
The Panthers top 5 rushers’ return and I have high expectations for Coach Holley and Company as they
are always a tough out.

3. Princeton
6’5 300 OL Jake Crocker will lead the way for Christian Perris and Brandon Turner this season. After an
impressive 13-1 season where the Bulldogs came up a few plays short of defeating WR-Hill for a spot in
the State Championship game. Princeton should find itself in the same situation this year. Losing QB/LB

A few weeks ago, I had Northeastern lower in my poll based on the fact that they lost some big names
from last year including All-State Freshwater and EJ Gatling. However after my research the last few
weeks and their performances this summer, the cupboard is far from bare. Shamar Sutton is definitely
one of the best receivers in the State, I saw him score easily against Providence Day and their loaded
secondary at the UNC King of the Hill. QB Jalen Melson has a lethal arm and 2024 RB Tyselle Spencer will

1. Wallace Rose-Hill
To be the man, you have to beat the man. This is why the Bulldogs are #1 right now. Replacing a Kanye
will be difficult if not impossible but we said that when Javonte left there also. Who is up next in the
great tradition of RB’s? Pearsall and Montgomery should provide great leadership to the host of young

Honorable Mention- (My) James Kenan Tigers, West Craven, Washington, and Edenton Holmes
Loving this…good stuff.

Tell us about James Kenan.

Reactions: UNC91 and dogs79
You are correct Josiah McLaurin comes to Clinton from Hobbton where he had 1288 yards receiving and 26 total TDs his sophomore year will help fill a void left by Patrick Morrisley graduating. 16 returning players on defensive side of the ball and the return of Coach McFatten should hopefully help turn around what was a weakness for us last season. Early speculation looks like sophomore Nydarion Blackwell will get the nod at QB dual threat like Blake maybe not as much as a bruiser as Blake but faster I think. Goes about 6’2-6’3ish super athletic hopefully he continues to grow into that frame. Not sure if he will stay at QB remaining years with his athleticism move to another skill position especially once 2027 QB Ethan Royal comes over. My bigger concern is the offensive line had a lot to replace upfront. In all honesty for a preseason poll we may be slightly too high maybe 7-9 range in the 2A east 15-20 range overall 2A until proven. We get a chance early in the season at #1 Wallace
I think 5ish is about right.

Reactions: Maiden Creek

10. Roanoke Rapids

9. Hertford County

8. Cummings

7. Whiteville
historical consistency.

6. St. Pauls

5. Clinton

4. East Duplin
are always a tough out.

3. Princeton

1. Wallace Rose-Hill

I think you nailed it. WRH is most peoples favorite. Got some big time games though. Whoever comes out the east will definitely earn it.

East Duplin will be a problem this year, I would probably put them at 1 in the east, WRH at 2. Clinton at 3. NE @ 4. Whiteville 5. Princeton 6. Cummings 7. HC 8. RR. 9. and James Kenan @10. As for WRH you just don't lose the Nations leading rusher and not expect to miss a beat.

Not even sure Clinton folks realize what an elite transfer they got in McLaurin—he’ll end up imo being their best player.

Last edited:
East Duplin will be a problem this year, I would probably put them at 1 in the east, WRH at 2. Clinton at 3. NE @ 4. Whiteville 5. Princeton 6. Cummings 7. HC 8. RR. 9. and James Kenan @10. As for WRH you just don't lose the Nations leading rusher and not expect to miss a beat.
WRH will be fine as the new BIG and STRONG o line matures. Running back stable is full.

Not even sure Clinton folks realize what an elite transfer they got in McLaurin—he’ll end up imo being their best player.
I didn’t follow Hobbton that closely so I won’t lie I didn’t know much about him.His stats popped off the page even playing in a air raid type offense. Watched some of his tape kids got it. We don’t sling it around as much as the Wildcats but he will get his opportunities he will probably play in our secondary aswell some and be one of our special teams return men.

Tarboro plays Hertford county week 2 on the road. I'm excited about that matchup. Princeton impressed me last year making it the regional finals could they build off that success from last season into this year? Now with that being said, as somebody alluded to in this thread already to be the man you got to beat the man and currently in the 2a East Wallace Rose Hill is the man.

Imo wrh/Ed are #1, #2. In either order. Gonna probably be 2 helluva battles this yr
Agree. I got to quit agreeing with these bulldogs. Bad for my health. But I do believe James Kenan will be a top ten team at least. Their new coach seems to have them heading in the right direction. Athletes are are certainly there.

Still got to put WRH as not uncontested but Favorite from the east. Defense looks to improve tremendously. Got the athletes on defense this year. ED #2, Northeastern 3, 4 Princeton, 5 Clinton, 6 St Paul’s, 7 Whiteville, 8 James Kenan, 9 Roanoke Rapids, 10 Cummings.

I didn’t follow Hobbton that closely so I won’t lie I didn’t know much about him.His stats popped off the page even playing in a air raid type offense. Watched some of his tape kids got it. We don’t sling it around as much as the Wildcats but he will get his opportunities he will probably play in our secondary aswell some and be one of our special teams return men.
DH34, you seen these???

Apologize for my part in getting other thread shutdown. Should of taken the high road but like a gnat at a bbq harmless but hard to ignore. No more of that tho if the guy wants to talk he can talk won’t get a response from me.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT