ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Approved For NC Private School Athletes

Good thing is private school football sucks.....for now. Other sports like basketball and baseball might be screwed

They should all get it, if you're eligable to work or have a work permit you should be able to get NIL.

Whatever the age of employment is should coincide with NIL.

Plus I really dont think it's that huge of a money maker unless you're a 5 star kid that's known nation wide, even with that I doubt it's a huge pay day in the grand scheme(outside of some 4 or 5 stars). Anything less than those would probably be pennies on the dollar compared to college athletes.

They should all get it, if you're eligable to work or have a work permit you should be able to get NIL.

Whatever the age of employment is should coincide with NIL.

Plus I really dont think it's that huge of a money maker unless you're a 5 star kid that's known nation wide, even with that I doubt it's a huge pay day in the grand scheme(outside of some 4 or 5 stars). Anything less than those would probably be pennies on the dollar compared to college athletes.
This. My daughter got a job at 15 last summer. Why shouldn’t a 15 year old athlete be able to make money off his NIL if a business is willing to pay him. Shouldn’t matter if you go to public or private. Some one will sue over this. The Supreme Court has already ruled on NIL 9-0 against the NCAA.

This only benefits the top .1% of athletes. Businesses are not going to throw money at your backup LG, #9 hitter in the order, or 8th man off of the bench in basketball.

What are we even doing here? This is only going to benefit the best of the best players - and the kids who are going to end up getting NIL money in college too. Maybe if someone's mom or dad owns a business they can do it that way - but this will only benefit the TOP of the top athletes.

Reactions: beamer24
Guys as long as the General Assembly (AKA) the GOP continues to destroy public education this is what will continue to happen. It's about time all of us get a clue. Wake up guys
100% The GOP makes a profit off of charter schools, and privates. Folks don't realize how much public money actually goes to private schools. This is just a further attack on public schools. Lawmakers literally blocked the NCHSAA version for public schools and allowed it for privates. Again Hypocrisy at its finest.

-Folks on here attacked Que, but she was progressive with NIL, and now there are whispers from the GOP.

Reactions: sammyk
Lordy...

An uneducated post.
I'd say Private school football does suck as a whole and is not as interesting IMHO. Especially the playoffs. The two most well known football privates play in public leagues which has really helped boost their programs. The public school football playoffs in NC/SC are on another level talentwise, and unmatched intensity.

Before anyone even mentions Providence Day just remember they have a great coach, great/excellent recruiting, much older players as a whole and really no other comp in the private school ranks statewide. Langston Wertz force feeds Providence Day on us yearly from the privates. Its his new Hough. In reality only private school guys really get into private school football and their big games almost always involve public schools as most of their regular season is unmatched blowouts.

NIL will affect the top top guys. If you look nationally its about $50 to $100 bucks per player. The avg to good to great player still has their eyes set on MC, Chambers, Indy, WC or Hough. Exposure, winning, friends, and getting to college is still big to those guys. Not to mention the cost of most of these private schools. Add in that public school coaches generally find talent much earlier than private schools who usually get already identified public school talent to transfer to them.

-It may have more effect on basketball, but private schools that are already good how much will they pay to beat Metrolina Christian by 60 when they already win by 45?

Good thing is private school football sucks.....for now. Other sports like basketball and baseball might be screwed

Have you been to the Charlotte area and seen any of that sucking private school 🏈. Right in the triad HP Christian doesn’t put a bad product on the field. They would give a lot of the 1A and 2A schools a good game.

Have you been to the Charlotte area and seen any of that sucking private school 🏈. Right in the triad HP Christian doesn’t put a bad product on the field. They would give a lot of the 1A and 2A schools a good game.
Adam Grier top 100 player and he's only a freshman at HP Christian. HPC always have a good product on the floor. I agree

Before anyone even mentions Providence Day just remember they have a great coach, great/excellent recruiting, much older players as a whole and really no other comp in the private school ranks statewide.
Providence Day does not reclassify. The Charlotte Big Four uses the same rule as the NCHSAA. Eight semesters of athletic eligibility starting first day of freshman year.

NIL could be a good thing if there was a way to make it even across the board with all teams. Maybe even a salary cap of sorts. But if it's the wild west like the NCAA, no thanks.

Providence Day does not reclassify. The Charlotte Big Four uses the same rule as the NCHSAA. Eight semesters of athletic eligibility starting first day of freshman year.
They reclassify as 8th graders or earlier before getting to Providence Day and other Charlotte privates. They just do it a year early to avoid the scrutiny of doing it in high school. Will admit some do it for academics too. But the private schools teams on avg. are much older than the public school players.

They reclassify as 8th graders or earlier before getting to Providence Day and other Charlotte privates. They just do it a year early to avoid the scrutiny of doing it in high school. Will admit some do it for academics too. But the private schools teams on avg. are much older than the public school players.
You can reclassify in the publics prior to freshman year and lose no eligibility as long as you meet the age requirement.

You can reclassify in the publics prior to freshman year and lose no eligibility as long as you meet the age requirement.
Isn't that what a lot of the current Reidsville team did? It was on the boards previously that a large number of students 'reclassified' / held back a grade in middle school during the covid period. I had never heard of middle schoolers doing that until then and it's definitely not normal in areas I deal with.

Reactions: Champ_24
Isn't that what a lot of the current Reidsville team did? It was on the boards previously that a large number of students 'reclassified' / held back a grade in middle school during the covid period. I had never heard of middle schoolers doing that until then and it's definitely not normal in areas I deal with.
Its a new trend that's gaining steam. If your athlete child is not good as you thought they would be at the end of their 8th grade year you have them repeat at a Charter school or private school so they can play sports and then start in a supposed better position in the 9th grade. Its fairly big in private schools and gaining steam in public schools.

Now a bunch of parents non sports related reclassed children during covid and I don't blame them. 1-2 years of computer ed with, kool aid and video games was tough on children especially in subjects like math, English and science. Want to see a study of these COVID children and how they fair on test and in HS /college. Think there was so harm done with virtual school, but what do I know.

Its a new trend that's gaining steam. If your athlete child is not good as you thought they would be at the end of their 8th grade year you have them repeat at a Charter school or private school so they can play sports and then start in a supposed better position in the 9th grade. Its fairly big in private schools and gaining steam in public schools.

Now a bunch of parents non sports related reclassed children during covid and I don't blame them. 1-2 years of computer ed with, kool aid and video games was tough on children especially in subjects like math, English and science. Want to see a study of these COVID children and how they fair on test and in HS /college. Think there was so harm done with virtual school, but what do I know.
No..that's not the situation. These kids didn't transfer to privates(charters are public also), they held back in regular public middle schools.

In the past students were held back by parents in elementary and middle school for academic or maturity reasons. Not a regular occurrence but it happened. Think parents use the same reasoning but it’s sports related.

It makes a difference when you do not turn 17 until after your senior football season is over while another player turns 19 close to the start of the season.

Last edited:
In the past students were held back by parents in elementary and middle school for academic or maturity reasons. Not a regular occurrence but it happened. Think parents use the same reasoning but it’s sports related.

It makes a difference when you do not turn 16 until after your senior football season is over while another player turns 19 close to the start of the season.
I did the opposite. My son started school early. I always kind of wished we hadn’t started him early but he was too smart to hold back once he started school. He was playing D3 football on the OL as a 17 year old for a few games into the season

Last edited:
No..that's not the situation. These kids didn't transfer to privates(charters are public also), they held back in regular public middle schools.
They had to either home school and repeat the 8th grade year or go charter school and repeat 8th grade or go private and repeat 8th or earlier. You cant just not go to school for an entire year. As Btango stated you get 8 semesters once you enter the 9th regardless of where you start as a 9th grader so they delay starting high school. Or if they repeated in MS been ineligible for sports. At least in CMS you are, You only get 4 semesters in CMS middle schools.

-Reclass is a BIG deal in basketball regardless of a players age, In football it can help with guys that play their sr year at 16, or are the youngest in their class.

a 16 year old "freshman" should not be allowed. Don't care when their bday is. 19 by Sept. 1st is a joke since HS football starts 2 weeks prior. Just like 25 year old college "seniors". Those aren't kids, they are men. I don't care how talented the 15 year old is, I'll take the 19 year old senior all day long.

My son's birthday is a week after the cutoff date for entering school. Based on how well he was reading and doing math in Pre-K, they told us he could absolutely start school a year early and handle it academically. We declined, thinking that we could put him in a bad position maturity wise and I am super grateful for that. He's older than most of his classmates and his academics are miles ahead of most, but he's certainly not the most mature. So there are definitely good reasons to hold back even smart kids besides athletics, but you do hate to see it for athletics reasons only.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT