ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Approved For NC Private School Athletes

And what does that do? Takes more kids away from public schools.

Folks might figure it out when it's too late.

Darwinian theory beginning to transcend reality and take a whole new meaning, huh?

And what does that do? Takes more kids away from public schools.

Folks might figure it out when it's too late.
Doubt it IMO. As a HS kid, to make any meaningful $$$ from NIL, you would have to be a top 1% athlete and the majority of those kids are already in private schools. For the handful of elite athletes that do stay in public schools, sure it will have an impact but for the other 99%, probably not all. I don't see a huge NIL market for HS kids.

Reactions: beamer24
Doubt it IMO. As a HS kid, to make any meaningful $$$ from NIL, you would have to be a top 1% athlete and the majority of those kids are already in private schools. For the handful of elite athletes that do stay in public schools, sure it will have an impact but for the other 99%, probably not all. I don't see a huge NIL market for HS kids.
I disagree. If I'm a private school coach, I'm lining up my schools booster and donors and we would build a powerhouse in a major city. The NIL can be implemented in creative ways to draw players to you.

I disagree. If I'm a private school coach, I'm lining up my schools booster and donors and we would build a powerhouse in a major city. The NIL can be implemented in creative ways to draw players to you.
"A powerhouse private school in a major city" is literally 1% of NC, and is unlikely to change the layout for the overwhelming majority of NC, which is what I said. This is more likely to draw high end out of state recruits to NC private schools than it is to have any noticeable effect on 99% of NC public schools. Don't confuse collegiate NIL collectives to this, very few boosters are going to throw impactful $$$ to the vast majority of HS athletes. Like I said, you'd have to be in the top 1% to make meaningful $$$ with this rule change, and those athletes are already at the Providence Day's, and the Christ School's, and the Rabun Gap's, so on and so forth.

Reactions: beamer24
"A powerhouse private school in a major city" is literally 1% of NC, and is unlikely to change the layout for the overwhelming majority of NC, which is what I said. This is more likely to draw high end out of state recruits to NC private schools than it is to have any noticeable effect on 99% of NC public schools. Don't confuse collegiate NIL collectives to this, very few boosters are going to throw impactful $$$ to the vast majority of HS athletes. Like I said, you'd have to be in the top 1% to make meaningful $$$ with this rule change, and those athletes are already at the Providence Day's, and the Christ School's, and the Rabun Gap's, so on and so forth.
I know of 2 local public schools that would have the backing and money to change some high end players minds. I know it wouldn't effect the majority but it could have swing in who goes where. Also, I am not thinking large amounts of money would be needed to entice kids. Play for free or go over here and get something. I think a lot of players would choose to play and get paid versed playing for free if they had that option.

I know of 2 local public schools that would have the backing and money to change some high end players minds.
2 is small sample size, but to your point this discussion wasn't about hypothetical public school donors, it was about whether the passing of NIL for private schools would make a big impact on NC high school athletics. There are scholarship players sitting on rosters down in Athens, Tuscaloosa, Knoxville, Columbus, Ann Arbor, etc, who are making little no to NIL $. These are former 3* and 4* kids, the top 5% of all HS football players in the country. NIL in HS, especially for private schools, just isn't going to have a substantial impact on HS football at large, in NC. The kids who stand to make the impactful NIL $ at an NC private school, are most likely already there anyways. That was always my point, that kids aren't going to be leaving public schools en masse to try and get a hand in the pot, a.) because the pot won't be that big for the HS market and b.) that any costs associated with going from public to private would most likely offset if not supersede any NIL gains. The only kids this doesn't apply to are the top 1%, the kids already going to the like of UNC, Duke, Clemson, Michigan or Georgia.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT