ADVERTISEMENT

New Bern Bears Football

We are good but I think you will find out next week just how wrong you are. Don’t expect everyone else to be willing to overlook what’s gone on there. Jerry will be lucky not to go to jail over it.
Looking forward to it. Again, I’m only repeating what I’ve heard as I stopped going to school there in 2005.

The NCHSAA laid down the hammer today on New Bern. I was told all along everything was stemming from 2022-2023 and not 2021-2022, but heard a lot of different things in the last several months. Sucks for a lot of the players and the new coach but gotta keep on. Live and learn! With the new protocols and support staff now in place, hoping we never see anything like this again not only here but anywhere.

Craven

COUNTY SCHOOLS

Craven County Schools Statement

NCHSAA-New Bern High School

2022 Football Progam Sanction

Craven County Schools was informed by the North Carolina High School Athletic Association (NCHSAA) on October 2, 2023, that because academically ineligible student-athletes were permitted to participate on the football team during the fall 2022 season, the New Bern High School 2022 Football Program must forfeit all contests, including the state championship, in which the ineligible student-athletes dressed to participate. Additionally, the New Bern High School Football Program is placed on probation for the 2023 season.

We are deeply saddened by this news and know that members of our community are as well. We also recognize that this will have ramifications for many years to come. It is extremely important for our families and community to be aware that going forward we have put processes in place to monitor and confirm eligibility for our student-athletes so something of this magnitude never happens again. Craven County Schools remains committed to supporting our students, former students, and community. We ask for your patience and understanding during this challenging time and acknowledge that there may be many questions that cannot be answered due to laws regarding personnel and student confidentiality.

Most importantly, we are grateful for the actions already taken by our New Bern High School staff, administration, and coaches this school year to foster a culture for our student-athletes to excel and be successful in and out of the classroom.

Craven

COUNTY SCHOOLS

Craven County Schools Statement

NCHSAA-New Bern High School

2022 Football Progam Sanction

Craven County Schools was informed by the North Carolina High School Athletic Association (NCHSAA) on October 2, 2023, that because academically ineligible student-athletes were permitted to participate on the football team during the fall 2022 season, the New Bern High School 2022 Football Program must forfeit all contests, including the state championship, in which the ineligible student-athletes dressed to participate. Additionally, the New Bern High School Football Program is placed on probation for the 2023 season.

We are deeply saddened by this news and know that members of our community are as well. We also recognize that this will have ramifications for many years to come. It is extremely important for our families and community to be aware that going forward we have put processes in place to monitor and confirm eligibility for our student-athletes so something of this magnitude never happens again. Craven County Schools remains committed to supporting our students, former students, and community. We ask for your patience and understanding during this challenging time and acknowledge that there may be many questions that cannot be answered due to laws regarding personnel and student confidentiality.

Most importantly, we are grateful for the actions already taken by our New Bern High School staff, administration, and coaches this school year to foster a culture for our student-athletes to excel and be successful in and out of the classroom.
May be a hot take - but it’s hard to feel sorry for any team who doesn’t want to do the bare minimum to make sure that their kids are eligible - and maybe they didn’t care and were in on it/going along with it. Classic case of “Let’s just let them play and hope no one finds out”. I have many friends (and a brother) who are all AD’s across the state and they do grade checks weekly on all athletes.

Shame on New Bern and the coaches and administration that let this escalate to this level. Also shame on the parents and kids for not holding themselves accountable for their actions that led to this. It’s absolutely shameful.

May be a hot take - but it’s hard to feel sorry for any team who doesn’t want to do the bare minimum to make sure that their kids are eligible - and maybe they didn’t care and were in on it/going along with it. Classic case of “Let’s just let them play and hope no one finds out”. I have many friends (and a brother) who are all AD’s across the state and they do grade checks weekly on all athletes.

Shame on New Bern and the coaches and administration that let this escalate to this level. Also shame on the parents and kids for not holding themselves accountable for their actions that led to this. It’s absolutely shameful.
Not a hot take. It isn’t hard to make sure everyone is eligible. Maybe not on purpose, but screams lazy/overlooking things.

Graduated from New Bern High in 1975. This is criminally damn embarrassing. Heads should roll but I think the culprits that allowed this to happen have already retired or left!!!
When the news first broke months ago, I remember thinking of one person that I would've liked to hear from regarding everything. Ironically, that individual is still there.

Reactions: Swo1980
Cheaters never win and winners never cheat
Best post of the year
Here's the summarized excuse "When no one was expecting it, they repeated that they were eligible. Suddenly, though, they informed them that they weren't. Now, only a select few are qualified, but not the majority. Considering that we were blindsided by it, we just don't know what went wrong" :D:D:D

Well that's that. Too bad for Millbrook and Rolesville both teams would have been in the Eastern Final with a chance to go to the championship

Last edited:
Something hasn’t seemed right since the HC left. NB is one of the best football programs in the state. It is a beautiful place to live. You just win it all and high tail it out. The HC may not of know he played ineligible players, I don’t know but I do think he saw the writing on the wall.
A lot of fingers to point here. I hate punishing the kids that did nothing wrong. I get what has to happen with last years team but I never understood why you punish future teams. I have never thought that was fair. Why cant the people that did it wrong be punished and then put probation on the people in the position to keep things right.

Something hasn’t seemed right since the HC left. NB is one of the best football programs in the state. It is a beautiful place to live. You just win it all and high tail it out. The HC may not of know he played ineligible players, I don’t know but I do think he saw the writing on the wall.
A lot of fingers to point here. I hate punishing the kids that did nothing wrong. I get what has to happen with last years team but I never understood why you punish future teams. I have never thought that was fair. Why cant the people that did it wrong be punished and then put probation on the people in the position to keep things right.
They played 5 games this year with ineligible players. That has not been addressed yet. Could be today.

that going forward we have put processes in place to monitor and confirm eligibility for our student-athlete
Does anybody else have a problem with this statement? Processes were already in place, they are in place for every school. The problem is not in the process, the problem is in accountability!!! The problem is in doing right or wrong, due diligence and the requirements of ones job title. Eligibility is a multilayered responsibility involving many components physicals, attendance, residence, and grades. All those layers are in place to check and balance doing what is right for the student-athlete as well as other competitors. They are also in place to help with clerical errors or human error, the more eyes the better the chance of catching errors. Unless of course those eyes become blind or turned. Process my a$$, find those accountable, penalize them and this crap will stop.

And one more thing while i am up on my soap box, let's not be delusional in thinking others in the community were not aware (school board members e.g.). It has been a very, very long time since i have actually been in New Bern but i do know how much that community loves their football. Just like other communities with rich traditions like the Richmond, Tarboro, Crest, Shelby, Reidsville and countless others. Hell if our starting CB has a fever everybody in the community knows that by Wednesday. Even those plaid people to the east of us know our dirt and personal business just like we know theirs !! Point being there were plenty of people who knew what was going on.

Does anybody else have a problem with this statement? Processes were already in place, they are in place for every school. The problem is not in the process, the problem is in accountability!!! The problem is in doing right or wrong, due diligence and the requirements of ones job title. Eligibility is a multilayered responsibility involving many components physicals, attendance, residence, and grades. All those layers are in place to check and balance doing what is right for the student-athlete as well as other competitors. They are also in place to help with clerical errors or human error, the more eyes the better the chance of catching errors. Unless of course those eyes become blind or turned. Process my a$$, find those accountable, penalize them and this crap will stop.

And one more thing while i am up on my soap box, let's not be delusional in thinking others in the community were not aware (school board members e.g.). It has been a very, very long time since i have actually been in New Bern but i do know how much that community loves their football. Just like other communities with rich traditions like the Richmond, Tarboro, Crest, Shelby, Reidsville and countless others. Hell if our starting CB has a fever everybody in the community knows that by Wednesday. Even those plaid people to the east of us know our dirt and personal business just like we know theirs !! Point being there were plenty of people who knew what was going on.
I agree. Had the county administrators been active in going to the schools and checking on things this could have been stopped way earlier. But there were no checks and balances and those changing grades and absentees thought they could get away with it. They didn’t do the kids any favors. Some of these kids had grades averaging in the low 40’s to 30’s. This is known because of a few teachers speaking out when they saw a list of graduates who had those low grades listed as being in the honor society. I guess the principle and guidance counselor didn’t think the teachers would catch on or speak out. But you can bet your bottom dollar on this one thing: New Bern , Havelock , and West Craven better follow the letter of the law now cause I suspect Wendy Miller will be doing just that now.

This is a bad deal all around. Is it bad for the kids that were in good standing? Yes. But this is about rules and accountability. This started inside the walls of NBHS. Blaming the Superintendent and The BOE is missing the boat. Are their hands clean? No, but they were left cleaning up a mess left by others. People ask, “What good does vacating title do? You can’t undo what happened on the field”. It’s not about that. It’s a deterrent to try to avoid this here and at other schools in the future. To try show there are consequences for bad decisions.

This was not something that just showed up now. This was going on before the school let out. It did involve the 2022-2023 season And bled over to this season. I hate to say this, but @Otis4411 tried to tell everyone from day one about the grades and something was bubbling below the surface. He was right unfortunately.

Reactions: geneP and btango
This is a bad deal all around. Is it bad for the kids that were in good standing? Yes. But this is about rules and accountability. This started inside the walls of NBHS. Blaming the Superintendent and The BOE is missing the boat. Are their hands clean? No, but they were left cleaning up a mess left by others. People ask, “What good does vacating title do? You can’t undo what happened on the field”. It’s not about that. It’s a deterrent to try to avoid this here and at other schools in the future. To try show there are consequences for bad decisions.

This was not something that just showed up now. This was going on before the school let out. It did involve the 2022-2023 season And bled over to this season. I hate to say this, but @Otis4411 tried to tell everyone from day one about the grades and something was bubbling below the surface. He was right unfortunately.
They keep giving out press releases they may end up telling the truth. This latest from last night is the closest they have come.

As for her asking the NCHSAA to “forgive” NB for violations this year? Good luck with that.

Reactions: ncjeff and btango
They keep giving out press releases they may end up telling the truth. This latest from last night is the closest they have come.

As for her asking the NCHSAA to “forgive” NB for violations this year? Good luck with that.
Having a county wide AD is probably a good move. If properly done, it would ensure issues like this would not happen.

Reactions: Swo1980
I have a big problem with Grimsley NOT being awarded the 4-A State Championship last year. I mean, they are going for a 3peat.

That's a small example of the foolishness that goes on at poorly run NCHSAA. There will be No 4-A championship last year.

Good Riddance Que!

Last edited:
I have a big problem with Grimsley NOT being awarded the 4-A State Championship last year. I mean, they are going for a 3peat.

That's a small example of the foolishness that goes on at The poorly run NCHSAA. There will be No 4-A championship last year.

Good Riddance Que!
I hate to see no winner as well but who’s to say any of the teams that NB beat in the East would not have won it all? Heck, no one gave NB a chance and they smacked Grimsley.

That's a small example of the foolishness that goes on at The poorly run NCHSAA. There will be No 4-A championship last year.

Good Riddance Que!
That is the protocol that has been in place for years. Same with the NCAA. Louisville NCAA basketball title. Villanova east regional title in the early 1970's.

As portcity wrote how do you award the team that lost the title game when they did not play the team that lost in the previous game (regional) as co-champion. Imagine the team wins the state title in a blowout but won the regional final on a controversial end of game Hail Mary.

Everything I see the NCHSAA do for the most part is based off a written regulation. When they do something like this several people in the office including the in house legal counsel review the documentation for what transpired comparing it to the regulation in place. Complain about them but they have a very orderly process for everything they do.

That is the protocol that has been in place for years. Same with the NCAA. Louisville NCAA basketball title. Villanova east regional title in the early 1970's.

As portcity wrote how do you award the team that lost the title game when they did not play the team that lost in the previous game (regional) as co-champion. Imagine the team wins the state title in a blowout but won the regional final on a controversial end of game Hail Mary.

Everything I see the NCHSAA do for the most part is based off a written regulation. When they do something like this several people in the office including the in house legal counsel review the documentation for what transpired comparing it to the regulation in place. Complain about them but they have a very orderly process for everything they do.
It’s the correct move. CPC has a vendetta for Que right now. The title should be vacated. Simply awarding Grimsley when they lost on the field is not the right thing to do. What about all the regular season games they won that affected playoff seeding and standings? The playoff teams they beat? we cant go back an undue all of that so a ship loss shouldn't be undone either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Same ole outdated protocol... It's time to update this in North Carolina and many other states. North Carolina has the opportunity to be the leader in High School Sports. Maybe Senator McNeil can help out.

Same ole outdated protocol... It's time to update this in North Carolina and many other states. North Carolina has the opportunity to be the leader in High School Sports. Maybe Senator McNeil can help out.

Example:

Semi Finals
Wake Team 28 Cumberland Team 27.
Guilford Team 43 Forsyth Team 41. Triple OT.

Title Game
Guilford Team 42 Wake Team 0.

Guilford forfeits due to ineligble players. Should Wake be awarded the title?

Having a county wide AD is probably a good move. If properly done, it would ensure issues like this would not happen.
It is a good thing. I’m hearing the issue with ineligible players in the 5 games this season is simply because of a mistake with how they counted absentees. Nothing to do with grades. Having that county wide AD may have caught that but they have to put someone in that position that is going to commit to doing that job. Not just another county position for someone to just draw a nice salary.

Yea I think the NCHSAA has done a decent job in this. Tucker could have put the 365 day rule on some of these kids so those complaining of how bad it is for the kids it could be worse. What New Bern has to do is start making kids attend class and do their work. I found out today that New Bern was also fined over 38,000.00

• Haha
Reactions: ecu424 and Swo1980
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT