ADVERTISEMENT

New Bern Bears Football

It’s not good. I cant imagine they will have much of a chance to repeat after losing all those seniors, losing their HC and now losing 5 starters. I hope they can make the playoffs and have a chance to defend their ring.

Sounds like the school didn't follow the attendance policy for eligibility.
All 3 Craven County schools had at least one player ruled ineligible according to reports after being told they were good to play this semester. Also, not all 3 Craven County Schools adhere by the same rules in regard to attendance. Some schools are able to make up for absences while others aren't afforded that same luxury.

Regarding this situation, I know of at least 1 board member that had no idea about any of this and read it on social media. How exactly does that happen? We had a parent drive 30+ miles to attend and talk at a BOE function and was told she couldn't speak and was directed by the Craven County Superintendent that it was a NCHSAA issue, which is absolutely false. This is on top of the Havelock fiasco where Caleb King got screwed by said board because the Superintendent doesn't like him.

All 3 Craven County schools had at least one player ruled ineligible according to reports after being told they were good to play this semester. Also, not all 3 Craven County Schools adhere by the same rules in regard to attendance. Some schools are able to make up for absences while others aren't afforded that same luxury.

Regarding this situation, I know of at least 1 board member that had no idea about any of this and read it on social media. How exactly does that happen? We had a parent drive 30+ miles to attend and talk at a BOE function and was told she couldn't speak and was directed by the Craven County Superintendent that it was a NCHSAA issue, which is absolutely false. This is on top of the Havelock fiasco where Caleb King got screwed by said board because the Superintendent doesn't like him.
Are you saying that all 3 Craven County schools were found to have played games with ineligible players? That would really make this situation turn crazy!

Done and over with. All of these so called absences happened in fall of 2022, which doesn’t affect spring of 2022.
No. I am referencing the investigation of academic eligibility from spring of 2022.

The current issue is the the spring of 2023 resulting in the 2023 forfeits. I know there was a lot of turmoil but surprised coaches and admin were not noticing the amount of absences.

I'm not aware of any issues pertaining to Spring of 2022 that would affect what they did on the field in Fall of 2022. My understanding is they were looking at Spring of 2023 which would affect the season now in Fall of 2023, which evidently, everyone is still confused on since one of our players just received a phone call that he can play this week. Was told hours before the game last week he couldn't play, but now he can this week. Is the board throwing darts to see which games the kids can play in?

Reactions: ncjeff
I'm not aware of any issues pertaining to Spring of 2022 that would affect what they did on the field in Fall of 2022. My understanding is they were looking at Spring of 2023 which would affect the season now in Fall of 2023, which evidently, everyone is still confused on since one of our players just received a phone call that he can play this week. Was told hours before the game last week he couldn't play, but now he can this week. Is the board throwing darts to see which games the kids can play in?

Geez sounds crazy TBH. My wife said she heard on the radio about this while she was at the beach this weekend. Never understand why adults would do this to kids. But TBH gotta go to class, but why wait this long. Feel terrible for the kids and seniors. Did the coach know about before he left? Sounds fishy to me to say the least

Reactions: ecu424
Geez sounds crazy TBH. My wife said she heard on the radio about this while she was at the beach this weekend. Never understand why adults would do this to kids. But TBH gotta go to class, but why wait this long. Feel terrible for the kids and seniors. Did the coach know about before he left? Sounds fishy to me to say the least
There are so many layers to it that it would take days to explain, honestly. Board and admin signed off that these kids were good to go for this semester and then pull the rug out a few hours before the game last week. And now, parents are being notified that their child can play after reviewing the paperwork. Ineligible last week, eligible this week, who the hell knows for next week. The communication wasn't good enough last year between the students/teachers/admin/coaches and an outside entity was hired by the board to put better protocols in place moving forward.

The issue at hand is how it's possible that neither the principal, the AD, nor the coaching staff were even aware that the "Ineligible Part" existed on school property and under their supervision. So who's really to point fingers to?

The issue at hand is how it's possible that neither the principal, the AD, nor the coaching staff were even aware that the "Ineligible Part" existed on school property and under their supervision. So who's really to point fingers to?
Which is why I said communication needs to be better between all parties -- students/parents/staff/admin/board etc moving forward. Kids were told they needed to go to summer school, which they did. Paperwork was turned in and said paperwork was signed for these kids to be able to play in Fall 2023. Hours before week 6 game, told they're ineligible. Six days later, kids are now being told they're eligible. Craven County uses PowerSchool as an application for students and parents to monitor assignments and grades and there was a big hiccup with incorrect information that caused a lot of confusion. New Bern High now has a new principal, host of new assistant principals in addition to a new HC that now requires kids to show weekly progress reports in order to see the field.

The probable impending ruling may include more than just the five expected forfeits for this year. This is a much deeper issue that will most likely have huge consequences. I have in my possession emails to the NCHSAA regarding last year's team from the superintendent, it doesn't look good.

The probable impending ruling may include more than just the five expected forfeits for this year. This is a much deeper issue that will most likely have huge consequences. I have in my possession emails to the NCHSAA regarding last year's team from the superintendent, it doesn't look good.
Interested to learn more about the "huge consequences" when the players, HC, several members of staff, principle, councilor's, etc are no longer at the school. New Bern officials also have some damaging proof regarding the superintendent, going to get ugly.

It’s not too late to have last year’s title stripped. The report and investigation into last year’s ineligibility was submitted prior to the end of the school year, it’s an open case so isn’t past the statue of limitations by NCHSAA.

It’s not too late to have last year’s title stripped. The report and investigation into last year’s ineligibility was submitted prior to the end of the school year, it’s an open case so isn’t past the statue of limitations by NCHSAA.
Yes, it was submitted before, after the NCHSAA said they were not looking into alleged grade changes. New Bern will be given their chance to dispute, like they're doing now with already reversing multiple rulings from last week in regard to ineligibility.

Yes, it was submitted before, after the NCHSAA said they were not looking into alleged grade changes. New Bern will be given their chance to dispute, like they're doing now with already reversing multiple rulings from last week in regard to ineligibility.

According to the documented emails I have, New Bern isn't disputing any of it, they've acknowledged that it took place.

According to the documented emails I have, New Bern isn't disputing any of it, they've acknowledged that it took place.
That's different from what I was just told two minutes ago by 3 different people after letting them know about your posts. We'll see soon enough, hopefully.

I have been out of coaching for several years now, but I can't wrap my mind around the fact that someone thought a player who missed (rumor, may not be true) upwards of 60 days could be eligible. If that is accurate, several adults need to held accountable.

Reactions: ncjeff and Champ_24
This whole discussion redirects itself back to leadership. If you've been in any type of key sporting/nonsporting school position this should always be an initial prequalification question. This destroys community trust. This also destroys a school championship title(s) and the possibility of a kid having a bright future ahead. The school could have easily said "you are not eligible here - please go to the next school". No But's or If's. What happens in the dark always comes to light.

Charlotte is already criminal for this. Now New Bern is picking up on this same insubordination. 🙏

This whole discussion redirects itself back to leadership. If you've been in any type of key sporting/nonsporting school position this should always be an initial prequalification question. This destroys community trust. This also destroys a school championship title(s) and the possibility of a kid having a bright future ahead. The school could have easily said "you are not eligible here - please go to the next school". No But's or If's. What happens in the dark always comes to light.

Charlotte is already criminal for this. Now New Bern is picking up on this same insubordination. 🙏
I'll let the process play itself out as there were a ton of moving parts for what transpired last school year and what is currently happening now. New principle, new HC, new coaching staff minus a few non NBHS employees etc. New protocols in place to prevent this from happening again with players now having to possess weekly progress reports to be able to play. Feel for the new head coach but he's done an incredible job of rallying these kids and staying on top of their academics and mental health.

No. I am referencing the investigation of academic eligibility from spring of 2022.

The current issue is the the spring of 2023 resulting in the 2023 forfeits. I know there was a lot of turmoil but surprised coaches and admin were not noticing the amount of absences.
I brought a lot of this up before the last school year was up. I was scolded for doing so. But all I’m going to add is that you can’t blame the BOE for this. NB tried to follow in Carolina’s footsteps for cheating and it didn’t work. So many similarities. Teachers have private Facebook groups and maybe even groups that are not on Facebook. I’d have to ask my wife about that. She was / is in those groups. NB teachers 3 that I’m aware of saw students listed for graduation that had averages in the 30’s and 40’s and some of them had a huge amount of absentee’s. The teachers had not agreed to change grades or knew of the changed grades until then. So they started talking and dominoes started tipping over.
It is not uncommon that sometimes a grade may get changed. But the teacher has to be the one to do it or be involved in it. A State agency came in and investigated the books. DPI department of Public Instruction. How they got involved I don’t know. I wondered if one of those teachers caused that. But the principle is gone and the coach who was allowed to say he was leaving to be closer to his wife’s family. She works in Pamlico County.
Chris you don’t expect NBbears2012 to admit any of if this do you? We discussed this after last season and all of this was mentioned. I see Deanna hasn’t threatened you yet.

I brought a lot of this up before the last school year was up. I was scolded for doing so. But all I’m going to add is that you can’t blame the BOE for this. NB tried to follow in Carolina’s footsteps for cheating and it didn’t work. So many similarities. Teachers have private Facebook groups and maybe even groups that are not on Facebook. I’d have to ask my wife about that. She was / is in those groups. NB teachers 3 that I’m aware of saw students listed for graduation that had averages in the 30’s and 40’s and some of them had a huge amount of absentee’s. The teachers had not agreed to change grades or knew of the changed grades until then. So they started talking and dominoes started tipping over.
It is not uncommon that sometimes a grade may get changed. But the teacher has to be the one to do it or be involved in it. A State agency came in and investigated the books. DPI department of Public Instruction. How they got involved I don’t know. I wondered if one of those teachers caused that. But the principle is gone and the coach who was allowed to say he was leaving to be closer to his wife’s family. She works in Pamlico County.

Chris you don’t expect NBbears2012 to admit any of if this do you? We discussed this after last season and all of this was mentioned. I see Deanna hasn’t threatened you yet.
Hey Otis. I thought we hashed things out at the NB/WC game, but I guess not. Sorry to see that. I stopped attending New Bern High when I graduated in 2005. I can only go by what I hear. Plenty of blame to go around, for sure. 2 of the 5 players ruled ineligible last week have been ruled eligible and will suit up tomorrow.

Yes, Ms. Nowell is staying behind at Pamlico County for the rest of this school year and will head to Durham to reunite with her husband and daughter after this school year is up.

Take care.

Feel for the new head coach but he's done an incredible job of rallying these kids and staying on top of their academics and mental health.

I also feel really bad for Coach Saxby. He's a FIRST CLASS coach, human being, and hasn't done anything wrong. He just stepped into a situation that's going to have to sort itself out.

New Bern will get sorted out, and it'll be better off with Coach Saxby moving forward.

Hey Greg. I thought we hashed things out at the NB/WC game, but I guess not. Sorry to see that. I stopped attending New Bern High when I graduated in 2005. I can only go by what I hear. Plenty of blame to go around, for sure. 2 of the 5 players ruled ineligible last week have been ruled eligible and will suit up tomorrow.

Yes, Ms. Nowell is staying behind at Pamlico County for the rest of this school year and will head to Durham to reunite with her husband and daughter after this school year is up.

Take care.

Is adding his first name really appropriate on these forums? He doesn't include his name on his username, so it's safe to assume he'd like to remain private. Come on man.

I also feel really bad for Coach Saxby. He's a FIRST CLASS coach, human being, and hasn't done anything wrong. He just stepped into a situation that's going to have to sort itself out.

New Bern will get sorted out, and it'll be better off with Coach Saxby moving forward.
Yes, his wife and children have been incredible and the kids and fans love them.

Hey Otis. I thought we hashed things out at the NB/WC game, but I guess not. Sorry to see that. I stopped attending New Bern High when I graduated in 2005. I can only go by what I hear. Plenty of blame to go around, for sure. 2 of the 5 players ruled ineligible last week have been ruled eligible and will suit up tomorrow.

Take care.
We are good but I think you will find out next week just how wrong you are. Don’t expect everyone else to be willing to overlook what’s gone on there. Jerry will be lucky not to go to jail over it.

Is adding his first name really appropriate on these forums? He doesn't include his name on his username, so it's safe to assume he'd like to remain private. Come on man.
Chris that is ok. I don’t hide my identity. I wish years ago I had just used my name for my username. I’ve posted my name way to many times here for anyone to be called out for using it.

Reactions: beamer24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT