ADVERTISEMENT

New Bern Bears Football

Looks like all our track, lacrosse and golf teams were safe, thank goodness.
Do you go to those events? I sometimes go to base ball games. I didn’t last year. I haven’t been to a basketball game in a long time. I went to girls volleyball because my daughter was playing and I went a couple of years after she graduated but I haven’t been to one since Covid. Football is the sport I really love and follow. As for soccer I don’t even know who coaches it. I wouldn’t know what I was watching if I was there. It would be like ice hockey.

• Haha
Reactions: Swo1980
So basically, there’s really no penalty. New Bern will likely qualify for the playoffs and can chase a championship just like all the other teams in the playoffs. Except the other teams have not been found to have played ineligible players.

IMO the NCHSAA got this wrong. They had announced NB was on probation for this year due to ineligible players from last year. And they play ineligible players again this year, and they can still make the playoffs. What was the purpose of putting them on probation for last year’s infractions if you’re only gonna let them continue to make it to the playoffs this year when it was found that they had done the same thing this year. SMH….

Do you go to those events? I sometimes go to base ball games. I didn’t last year. I haven’t been to a basketball game in a long time. I went to girls volleyball because my daughter was playing and I went a couple of years after she graduated but I haven’t been to one since Covid. Football is the sport I really love and follow. As for soccer I don’t even know who coaches it. I wouldn’t know what I was watching if I was there. It would be like ice hockey.
I do, I like to branch out and support other programs and get to see the coaching and talent on display. Used to go to a lot of baseball games when Gary Smith was at NBHS. Our soccer program has always been pretty strong with Coach Guter. Went to a lot of basketball games way back when Antwan Scott was there, but not many since then. The Eagles have had some good baseball teams in recent years, I do know that. Armstrong was really good.

Reactions: Otis4411
So basically, there’s really no penalty. New Bern will likely qualify for the playoffs and can chase a championship just like all the other teams in the playoffs. Except the other teams have not been found to have played ineligible players.

IMO the NCHSAA got this wrong. They had announced NB was on probation for this year due to ineligible players from last year. And they play ineligible players again this year, and they can still make the playoffs. What was the purpose of putting them on probation for last year’s infractions if you’re only gonna let them continue to make it to the playoffs this year when it was found that they had done the same thing this year. SMH….
Probation means the NCHSAA is monitoring everything closely, which they are. Shouldn't have been any ineligible players this year as the superintendent has been in control of NBHS since May when she put the then principal on leave. She had meetings with the student athletes to tell them what they needed to do, and paperwork was signed off for the kids to play. New coach wasn't announced until a week before the official season began. Each week, we get a kid back on the field.......due to paperwork.

Probation means the NCHSAA is monitoring everything closely, which they are. Shouldn't have been any ineligible players this year as the superintendent has been in control of NBHS since May when she put the then principal on leave. She had meetings with the student athletes to tell them what they needed to do, and paperwork was signed off for the kids to play. New coach wasn't announced until a week before the official season began. Each week, we get a kid back on the field.......due to paperwork.
So probation means basically nothing according to your explanation.

So you mean to tell me the superintend had from May to August to determine eligibility of the players and she did not get the job done. So after four months of investigation, she let ineligible players still play six more weeks. And you want us to believe she has control. Come on man. That explanation makes no sense.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
So probation means basically nothing according to your explanation.

So you mean to tell me the superintend had from May to August to determine eligibility of the players and she did not get the job done. So after four months of investigation, she let ineligible players still play six more weeks. And you want us to believe she has control. Come on man. That explanation makes no sense.
You surely don't have to take my explanation; you can take Que Tuckers.

“All we will be doing is just watching. Will there be anything else that pops up that suggests there is a lack of institutional control or are there some things we need to monitor,” says NCHSAA Commissioner Que Tucker, “That’s what probation means. It does not mean that New Bern High School football team, if it qualifies, would not be able to make the playoffs. That’s really all I am going to say about that.”

You can also read up on the NCAA and the penalties that were levied today against Kansas basketball. They were put on probation and will be eligible for the NCAA Tournament in 2024.

The NBHS football team were notified of the ineligible players hours before playing Jacksonville, which was week 6, correct. Yes, she has plenty control as she is the one the lead the investigation that ended up stripping NB of the 2022 Championship. And if you still don't think she has power, ask Havelock about their coaching situation.

You surely don't have to take my explanation; you can take Que Tuckers.

“All we will be doing is just watching. Will there be anything else that pops up that suggests there is a lack of institutional control or are there some things we need to monitor,” says NCHSAA Commissioner Que Tucker, “That’s what probation means. It does not mean that New Bern High School football team, if it qualifies, would not be able to make the playoffs. That’s really all I am going to say about that.”

You can also read up on the NCAA and the penalties that were levied today against Kansas basketball. They were put on probation and will be eligible for the NCAA Tournament in 2024.

The NBHS football team were notified of the ineligible players hours before playing Jacksonville, which was week 6, correct. Yes, she has plenty control as she is the one the lead the investigation that ended up stripping NB of the 2022 Championship. And if you still don't think she has power, ask Havelock about their coaching situation.
nobody said anything about power. That was not a part of the conversation.

The discussion was on her having control of the situation. Based on what you said, she knew last May that there was a problem. Six weeks into the season is when it was finally addressed it. If she truly had control of the situation, why did it taken her all summer plus six weeks into the season to remove the ineligible players from the team. She knew there was a problem in May and still let the six players play.

Either way, the probation means absolutely nothing. It’s just empty words. SMH still.

nobody said anything about power. That was not a part of the conversation.

The discussion was on her having control of the situation. Based on what you said, she knew last May that there was a problem. Six weeks into the season is when it was finally addressed it. If she truly had control of the situation, why did it taken her all summer plus six weeks into the season to remove the ineligible players from the team. She knew there was a problem in May and still let the six players play.

Either way, the probation means absolutely nothing. It’s just empty words. SMH still.
Control, power, whichever you want to use. Correct, based on her words to the NCHSAA, she notified them on June 1st. She had control in May over the school as the principal was not allowed to step foot on campus. The kids in question were advanced to the next grade and were told they were good to play this Fall.

Probation means observing, monitoring, which they are doing.

All of the eligible kids are looking forward to the last two games of the regular season.

• Haha
Reactions: AmosAlonzoStagg
Competely unacceptable and no excuse for any Principal/AD/Coach to have kids playing with ineligible grades, attendance issues and other rules that all schools must follow. A kid playing with an expired physical can cost a team to forfiet games/contests so this is a huge issue that heads should roll for if they haven't already. Team was 17-0 and cost others a chance at a state title and someone knew it was happening and waited until it was too late to say something. I see they are now 6-2 this year so they must have scrubbed the team pretty good going into this year. The drop off in talent is obvious.

Competely unacceptable and no excuse for any Principal/AD/Coach to have kids playing with ineligible grades, attendance issues and other rules that all schools must follow. A kid playing with an expired physical can cost a team to forfiet games/contests so this is a huge issue that heads should roll for if they haven't already. Team was 17-0 and cost others a chance at a state title and someone knew it was happening and waited until it was too late to say something. I see they are now 6-2 this year so they must have scrubbed the team pretty good going into this year. The drop off in talent is obvious.
New Bern was 7-1 to start the day and will be 2-6 after the 5 forfeited wins are finalized. Maxpreps is slowly but surely processing all of the forfeits. Yes, the drop off in talent is evident as they had to replace all but a few starters while also moving from the triple option to spread. Still a pretty damn good football team, though.

This is nothing more than smoke and mirrors. Are we still having the same debate and blathering on about this bogus corruption?

Reactions: AmosAlonzoStagg
This is comical but what do expect from NC and now I guess Craven county...
Stripped of title, fined and put on probation
Probation means "monitoring"
Was monitored and found to have continued to use ineligible players
Forfeit games but still allowed to make playoffs?
What does a team need to do to get suspended?

This is comical but what do expect from NC and now I guess Craven county...
Stripped of title, fined and put on probation
Probation means "monitoring"
Was monitored and found to have continued to use ineligible players
Forfeit games but still allowed to make playoffs?
What does a team need to do to get suspended?
They were not on probation prior to the season starting, the announcement of being on probation was made in the last week.

I think what happened last season and this season are two different things. From what I understand, this year was improper paperwork Filing. So why punish the kids if they are eligible and someone else filed the paperwork wrong? So now, force NB to forfeit those games which they did. There is punishment here. NB will go from a top 5 seed to probably a 10 seed.

I think what happened last season and this season are two different things. From what I understand, this year was improper paperwork Filing. So why punish the kids if they are eligible and someone else filed the paperwork wrong? So now, force NB to forfeit those games which they did. There is punishment here. NB will go from a top 5 seed to probably a 10 seed.
Regarding your last sentence, I have said that for the last few weeks. However, I noticed that HSOT has a disclaimer on their playoff prediction page that says “split conferences with 3A schools- 1 seeds must have an overall win percentage of .500 or better to be seeded with the 1-seeds, or else be seeded with the 2’s and wild-cards.”

NB will not have a .500 winning percentage and will have, IMO, the worst RPI out of any playoff team in the east. Thus, would be the 32 seed and will play Rolesville in round 1. Hopefully someone can chime in that knows more about how this works as NB is in a split 3A/4A conference.

Regarding your last sentence, I have said that for the last few weeks. However, I noticed that HSOT has a disclaimer on their playoff prediction page that says “split conferences with 3A schools- 1 seeds must have an overall win percentage of .500 or better to be seeded with the 1-seeds, or else be seeded with the 2’s and wild-cards.”

NB will not have a .500 winning percentage and will have, IMO, the worst RPI out of any playoff team in the east. Thus, would be the 32 seed and will play Rolesville in round 1. Hopefully someone can chime in that knows more about how this works as NB is in a split 3A/4A conference.
That could end up being the best game in the 4A playoffs if it happens. Years ago when you beat a higher seeded team you took their seed. I don’t ever remember a 32 beating a 1 back then. Could have happened but I don’t know. Honestly it’s a shame that isn’t in play now.

It’s not as obvious as it looked. Remember they took the kids off the bus as they were fixing to leave to play Jacksonville. That was a tough spot for the coach to have to deal with and I suspect it affected the mindset of the kids on the bus during that ride to Jacksonville. New Bern is still a damn good team. They have the talent to compete.

From the NCHSAA 23–24 handbook:
The highest finishing team in its half of a split conference must finish 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place overall and/or have an overall winning percentage of .500 or higher to be seeded as the number one team. Otherwise, the team will be seeded with all other at-large teams.

From the NCHSAA 23–24 handbook:
The highest finishing team in its half of a split conference must finish 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place overall and/or have an overall winning percentage of .500 or higher to be seeded as the number one team. Otherwise, the team will be seeded with all other at-large teams.
Appreciate it. If New Bern wins their last 2 games, they'll finish in 3rd place with a .400 winning percentage.

I am not sure Rolesville will be the number 1 seed. Cleveland or Clayton may claim that spot. Cleveland has the hardest part of their conference schedule ahead of them, with one of those games being Clayton.

Rolesville has WF remaining and then Heritage and Knightdale, which could pull their RPI down some.

Will be fun to see how all of this plays out.

I am not sure Rolesville will be the number 1 seed. Cleveland or Clayton may claim that spot. Cleveland has the hardest part of their conference schedule ahead of them, with one of those games being Clayton.

Rolesville has WF remaining and then Heritage and Knightdale, which could pull their RPI down some.

Will be fun to see how all of this plays out.
It will be close, for sure.

Everyone should read in the New Bern Sun Journal what the former principal is saying about what happened!!! He said he had the authority to change grades and did. As a former NB Bear graduate his response makes me sick to my stomach - total hog shat!!!

• Haha
Everyone should read in the New Bern Sun Journal what the former principal is saying about what happened!!! He said he had the authority to change grades and did. As a former NB Bear graduate his response makes me sick to my stomach - total hog shat!!!
Crazy thing is, it is true. I just learned several years ago a principal can go in and change grades.

Crazy thing is, it is true. I just learned several years ago a principal can go in and change grades.
- North Carolina General Statute 115C-288 authorizes that principals have the power to grade and classify students. While making these decisions, principals “shall consider the pupil’s classroom work and grades, the pupil’s scores on standardized tests, and the best educational interests of the pupil.”

- North Carolina General Statute 115C-288 authorizes that principals have the power to grade and classify students. While making these decisions, principals “shall consider the pupil’s classroom work and grades, the pupil’s scores on standardized tests, and the best educational interests of the pupil.”
That cancels out ole Jerry. Kids weren’t even going to class. Hanging out on the terrace knowing Jerry was looking after grades and absentees. It will be interesting now since he has gone public if any of those teachers come forward. You don’t change grades without the teacher having input with it. My wife retired with 30 years from teaching. It’s just not something you do behind the teachers back. But let me be clear with this. New Bern was taking advantage of by a few people. This is solely on them and not really a reflection of the school. We have always been what you would call a hated rival. Most of West Cravens kids are kin to the New Bern kids. But get them together for a football game?? It can get scary. In the mid 70’s I had a hand in painting a pink stripe down the bears back in front of the school. Kinstons fans got blamed for it cause they played them that coming weekend. We hadn’t even planned that it was just a spur of the moment thing 3 drunk teenagers decided to do. I wish we were closer in size now than we are. Even though we have done fairly well against New Bern over the past 10 years it really makes no sense to me to keep playing them at our current level. I don’t want to lose the Havelock rivalry even though there is not that much difference size wise but in my opinion we should drop one. I’d rather play a similar sized school for the sake of tge rpi and seeding purposes. But New Bern has a storied history. Had Torrey and Jerry done things right there is no telling how many ships they could have won at New Bern. We beat Torrey in OT his first year at New Bern. Our coach told me after the game “Mark my words they are going to be very good”. And they were. Don’t be surprised if New Bern wins out this year. They are loaded with talent.

That cancels out ole Jerry. Kids weren’t even going to class. Hanging out on the terrace knowing Jerry was looking after grades and absentees. It will be interesting now since he has gone public if any of those teachers come forward. You don’t change grades without the teacher having input with it. My wife retired with 30 years from teaching. It’s just not something you do behind the teachers back. But let me be clear with this. New Bern was taking advantage of by a few people. This is solely on them and not really a reflection of the school. We have always been what you would call a hated rival. Most of West Cravens kids are kin to the New Bern kids. But get them together for a football game?? It can get scary. In the mid 70’s I had a hand in painting a pink stripe down the bears back in front of the school. Kinstons fans got blamed for it cause they played them that coming weekend. We hadn’t even planned that it was just a spur of the moment thing 3 drunk teenagers decided to do. I wish we were closer in size now than we are. Even though we have done fairly well against New Bern over the past 10 years it really makes no sense to me to keep playing them at our current level. I don’t want to lose the Havelock rivalry even though there is not that much difference size wise but in my opinion we should drop one. I’d rather play a similar sized school for the sake of tge rpi and seeding purposes. But New Bern has a storied history. Had Torrey and Jerry done things right there is no telling how many ships they could have won at New Bern. We beat Torrey in OT his first year at New Bern. Our coach told me after the game “Mark my words they are going to be very good”. And they were. Don’t be surprised if New Bern wins out this year. They are loaded with talent.
Jerry was always going to tell his side of the story with the backlash that has ensued. But wooboy, didn't expect him to lay out all of the dirty laundry between him and Wendy that have dated back multiple years now. I'll always want to play the county schools, regardless of size. Brings in good gate money that is crucial for all 3 schools and like you said, pretty darn competitive. And yes, Mike knew the talent New Bern pulled in, specifically the 2019 freshman class with KJ etc. Think all 3 schools can go deep in the playoffs this year, rooting for it.

Jerry was always going to tell his side of the story with the backlash that has ensued. But wooboy, didn't expect him to lay out all of the dirty laundry between him and Wendy that have dated back multiple years now. I'll always want to play the county schools, regardless of size. Brings in good gate money that is crucial for all 3 schools and like you said, pretty darn competitive. And yes, Mike knew the talent New Bern pulled in, specifically the 2019 freshman class with KJ etc. Think all 3 schools can go deep in the playoffs this year, rooting for it.
He would have been better off keeping that letter from Wendy in his pocket. To try and make it about her is going to be an epic fail. Those upset teachers and some others at NB tired of that stuff gave her all that info. If Jerry really cared about the Bear community he would go away quietly and stay gone for NB’s sake.

We got to play better than we did last week. Went down by one with 2:03 left in the game. I sure didn’t like our odds there.

Reactions: ncjeff
Who cares your wife taught 30 years, good for her. He let his knowledge out, I praise him for telling the truth. He had the power and did what he did. Not sure why you keep beating a dead horse. We know you knew everything and are God. Just climb back onto your power line truck and relax. NB is getting beat down enough, stop adding fuel. You ever thought about how these kids feel, the ones who did everything the right way...,..... Most never play past highschool ball, let them try and get over that fact...

I don't care what power a Principal has, increasing student's grades by over 30 points is unacceptable without the consent of the classroom teacher. The teacher is with that student on a daily basis, and if the student were doing the work at a level to make an 80, the student would be making an 80. I see some of the grades changed from in the 20s to a passing grade, that is crazy.

Reactions: ncjeff and btango
What was done at New Bern HS is criminal. A principal has discretion but he took part in a fraud scheme. Anyone that has been involved in education knows that what he did was beyond the scope of what is allowable.

Changing multiple grades for one student by up to 56 points (25-81). Going back and increasing a grade (for the second time) from 71 to 81 that had oringinally been in the 40's. Changing numerous failing grades (11) for one student to passing grades (70-89) when the student missed over 80% of the days and did not turn in assignments or participate in class. In his eyes, and some parents and supporters, what he did may be seen as helping a young person but in reality he has contributed to the continual decline of the community.

The NCHSAA is not going to call him to investigate. The investigation is performed by the LEA or law enforcement not the NCHSAA.

The General Assembly is not going to be supportive of his actions. This is not the type of item they will publicly support. They will magnify it to use as another reason students/parents should have more options due to the failure of the traditional school.

Was that in regards to last year or this year?

Reactions: geneP
Who cares your wife taught 30 years, good for her. He let his knowledge out, I praise him for telling the truth. He had the power and did what he did. Not sure why you keep beating a dead horse. We know you knew everything and are God. Just climb back onto your power line truck and relax. NB is getting beat down enough, stop adding fuel. You ever thought about how these kids feel, the ones who did everything the right way...,..... Most never play past highschool ball, let them try and get over that fact...
I would like to know the truth. We can all learn from that. I feel Otis has been fair and truthful. I appreciate his information.

I would like to know the truth. We can all learn from that. I feel Otis has been fair and truthful. I appreciate his information.
Otis has been stating this from day one. If he wants to go into this farther, that’s up to him. I know where he got all this stuff and it’s reliable. If he was in the media, he would have had more that the two sources that a reporter would have to have before going public.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT