ADVERTISEMENT

New Bern Bears Football

Yea I think the NCHSAA has done a decent job in this. Tucker could have put the 365 day rule on some of these kids so those complaining of how bad it is for the kids it could be worse. What New Bern has to do is start making kids attend class and do their work. I found out today that New Bern was also fined over 38,000.00
New coach is requiring all players to give progress reports each week in order to play. The $38,000 is from the playoff revenue received for all 5 home games plus state title game to be paid by March 31st of next year.

Reactions: Swo1980
New coach is requiring all players to give progress reports each week in order to play. The $38,000 is from the playoff revenue received for all 5 home games plus state title game to be paid by March 31st of next year.
It’s been a tough deal for your new coach. He’ll do ok and the progress reports are a great idea. Jerry should have to pay that money back.

Hoggard held NB to 21 points. Had they made it to the next round their QB may have been cleared to play and that would have been a completely different team. Jordan lost to NB by 5 points and had the ball inside the NB 10 as the clock expired. They had an impressive O line and run game. Millbrook had a lot of firepower and only lost by 8. I personally do not think any of those teams would have beaten Grimsley but you never know.

Hoggard held NB to 21 points. Had they made it to the next round their QB may have been cleared to play and that would have been a completely different team. Jordan lost to NB by 5 points and had the ball inside the NB 10 as the clock expired. They had an impressive O line and run game. Millbrook had a lot of firepower and only lost by 8. I personally do not think any of those teams would have beaten Grimsley but you never know.
#1 for NB having a dislocated shoulder and only having 6 attempts against Hoggard played a role in it being just a 3-score game. 35 rushing attempts went to backups. I don't think anybody else could've rushed for over 400 yards or held that high powered Grimsley offense to 20 yards passing with 3 minutes left. Didn't see anybody else all year challenge those two 4* receivers like the NB DB's. It was a good match up for NB with their ability to run that toss sweep away from the two big time DT recruits and wear them out.

Last edited:
Reactions: ncjeff
It’s tough to play what if’s with it. Vacating the title is the best thing to do. I suspect somewhere in the past they may have done other things and turned to this. Maybe not.

#1 for NB having a dislocated shoulder and only having 6 attempts against Hoggard played a role in it being just a 3-score game. 35 rushing attempts went to backups. I don't think anybody else could've rushed for over 400 yards or held that high powered Grimsley offense to 20 yards passing with 3 minutes left. Didn't see anybody else all year challenge those two 4* receivers like the NB DB's. It was a good match up for NB with their ability to run that toss sweep away from the two big time DT recruits and wear them out.
Is Sampson starting or playing for FSU? I haven’t had a chance to watch one of their games yet.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
Is Sampson starting or playing for FSU? I haven’t had a chance to watch one of their games yet.
He's redshirting for FSU but will play in 4 games in order to keep his redshirt. Talked on the phone with his dad the other day and he told me the games he was dressing out for, but I can't recall which ones. He played against Southern Miss and had 2 tackles and a QB hurry. They're loaded on the DL, but he'll climb up the depth chart after this season.

He's redshirting for FSU but will play in 4 games in order to keep his redshirt. Talked on the phone with his dad the other day and he told me the games he was dressing out for, but I can't recall which ones. He played against Southern Miss and had 2 tackles and a QB hurry. They're loaded on the DL, but he'll climb up the depth chart after this season.
Will be eligible for their Bowl Game as well, which starts the next season

I saw some clips of that game, he looks primed to be a force there.

Hoggard Had more key guys out than NB but that was not my point. I said that I do not think any of those teams would have beaten Grimsley. My point is, you cant give the title to Grimsley because an argument can surely be made. There were other teams that played NB better than Grimsley.

I was so hoping he would go to State. Kid was something else in high school.

Hoggard Had more key guys out than NB but that was not my point. I said that I do not think any of those teams would have beaten Grimsley. My point is, you cant give the title to Grimsley because an argument can surely be made. There were other teams that played NB better than Grimsley.
It’s a waste of time to even discuss it. Nobody has a crystal ball to say what if. It’s just vacated which is all you can do. Every game they played affected other teams rpi and seeding.

It’s a waste of time to even discuss it. Nobody has a crystal ball to say what if. It’s just vacated which is all you can do. Every game they played affected other teams rpi and seeding.

And the NCHSAA is now in the same situation. New Bern has admitted to playing games this year with ineligible players. Those games have a major impact on the playoff seedings. Not just the teams they played but opponents win percentage and OOWP are part of the RPI.

• Haha
And the NCHSAA is now in the same situation. New Bern has admitted to playing games this year with ineligible players. Those games have a major impact on the playoff seedings. Not just the teams they played but opponents win percentage and OOWP are part of the RPI.

Yea and the Superintendent issues a statement that she asked the NCHSAA not to punish NB for the 5 games this year. She knows that will never happen. She must be trying to appear that way because so many at NB are mad at her over this. That’s not really fair. Kids not going to class and administrators covering for them is hard for her to know. But the NCHSAA will never set the precedent of over looking ineligible players playing.

I should add that the 5 games this year are not related to grades or even trying to cheat. From my understanding someone just made mistakes in how absences were recorded.

• Haha
Reactions: OllO and Swo1980
I should add that the 5 games this year are not related to grades or even trying to cheat. From my understanding someone just made mistakes in how absences were recorded.
But players with excessive absences who should not even be able to pass a class were being allowed to play.

But players with excessive absences who should not even be able to pass a class were being allowed to play.
True but not all of them. Some were just not doing the proper paperwork. I’m only talking about this season the first 5 games. The new coach is doing everything right.

True but not all of them. Some were just not doing the proper paperwork. I’m only talking about this season the first 5 games. The new coach is doing everything right.
The new coach was not there last spring. That would be the semester for the abscences causing eligibility issues for this season. Explain further so I understand.

Those adults should also repay the Kellum Law firm and the private donations for the rings which cost approximately 45,000! Lost revenue 38000 + Kellum Law Firm 45000 equals 83,000

Last edited:
The new coach was not there last spring. That would be the semester for the abscences causing eligibility issues for this season. Explain further so I understand.
I have to be careful here. I don’t want to be crossing the line of giving out info to out a particular kid. In the case of injury you would fill out a form for any days a kid was absent because of that. If you don’t fill out the proper paperwork then the absentee is not approved and it just looks like the kid has excessive absences.

Reactions: btango
I have a big problem with Grimsley NOT being awarded the 4-A State Championship last year. I mean, they are going for a 3peat.

That's a small example of the foolishness that goes on at poorly run NCHSAA. There will be No 4-A championship last year.

Good Riddance Que!
They got beat in the 2nd rd. The season before last by Porter Ridge and truthfully neither team that played in the championship game deserved to win.

Otis,
When will they announce something official on those 5 games from this season? Does affect RPI so needs to be addressed.

Did they get to play tonight?

How did the school and school system not have this figured out before they made the initial report and announcement? Should have known the exact.
Yes, one of the kids got clearance and was able to play.

Great question. I would love to know why they told several players an hour before they played the biggest game of the season (week 6!) that they were ineligible. And little by little, they're getting cleared instead of all at once.

Otis,
When will they announce something official on those 5 games from this season? Does affect RPI so needs to be addressed.
It was addressed today or rather announced today. New Bern has to forfeit the first 5 games of this season. West Craven has to forfeit their 2 soccer wins. I asked if we could forfeit our losses in that too.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
It was addressed today or rather announced today. New Bern has to forfeit the first 5 games of this season. West Craven has to forfeit their 2 soccer wins. I asked if we could forfeit our losses in that too.
Correct. We’re in the clear now, all steam ahead! The Bears win next week and they’ll be in the playoffs.

Reactions: Otis4411
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT