3. Albemarle 10-0 - 89
4. Winston-Salem Prep (2) 10-4 - 66
5. Voyager Academy 15-2 - 56
6. Alleghany 10-1 - 55
7. Starmount 7-1 - 50
8. Camden County 10-1 - 35
9. Weldon 12-2 - 19
10. Northside Pinetown 7-2 - 16

Honorable Mention: Spring Creek (11-2) - 9; won Rosewood 56-53; James Kenan (8-2) - 3; Cherryville (10-4) - 3; Southside (8-2) - 1; Avery County (6-8) - 1;

1A WOMEN'S

1. Winston-Salem Prep (9) 12-2 - 107
2. Cherokee (2) 12-0 -101
3. Hiwassee Dam 14-1 - 84
4. Mount Airy 14-2 - 67
5. Pamlico 11-2 - 62
6. Gates County 11-1 - 50
7. Atkins 11-3 - 31
8. Bishop McGuinness 9-6 - 25
8. Franklin Academy 12-0 - 25
10. West Montgomery - 23

Honorable Mention: Rosewood (9-3) - 16; Lakewood (10-1) - 6; East Columbus (9-2) - 4; Weldon (10-2) - 4:

I know polls are stupid and only based on records but could you please tell me how 1) How no one from the SPC is in top ten? I mean you put 6th place Cherryville in honorable mention. It looks like at least the other 5 a head of them would at least make some noise. WOW! 2) Avery is probably one of the top 3 teams in 1A. They play a tough non conference schedule. Please stop going by records because some of these teams actually play tough teams. At least go out and try and catch some of these teams play before posting a poll that is not accurate. I still find it hilarious that Cherryville is in 5th place in their conference, was beaten by 30 by Lincoln Charter, and still in as honorable mention. I looked online and Lincoln Charter has a 14-4 record and 4-0 in conference and their losses are against some loaded teams. Why not mention them or CSD? Oh, they are non traditional schools. I see it now..

First let me say this you have a good argument about the Cherryville deal I agree with you that much. Now let me say this you haven't seen the top 6 teams in this poll your self so who are you to judge? I have East Carteret, Voyager, Albemarle they are pretty good and have big time players an have played tough schedules as well. Also this poll this week was voted on by the newspaper and media members of this state who cover a lot of teams in there area. No poll will be 100% accurate and please every fan base. I always say win games cures all things. Come playoffs we will find out just how good each team is. I will keep an eye on Avery you cant honestly expect any body to rank a eight loss team? No disrespect to Watagua but they are no where near the top in 4A hoops. I tried to find a valid win for Avery to back up your statement I have seen none. Like my step dad use to always tell me crème rises to the top and I hope they prove you right. When playoff time come and regionals ill look back at your post and either say that guy was dead on or so wrong.

I will say Albemarle has a solid team but they have not played/beaten but one respectable team. The remainder of the teams they've beaten are average or below.

Albemarle has a solid team? Lol I watched your too two teams from the mountains and they will have a very very difficult time with Albemarle. Both boys and girls teams from Albemarle are very good. The girls are finally 100% healthy as of Monday this week and have 5 straight wins. The guys will be exciting to watch come playoff time. The road will come through albemarle in the first 3rds as I do not see anybody touching them.

It kills me how everyone gets so tore up over this poll. It is a group of staff members and sports writers that do the very best job that they can do based on what they have seen and heard about the teams that are available to vote for. Have you ever noticed the AP college poll which oh by the way is also voted on by media members. Record does matter, and of course the quality of opponents that you play matters as well. The thing that you must understand is that playing a tough schedule, as far as polls go only helps you if you actually beat some of them. Please don't misunderstand, I have huge respect for coach Polsgrove at Avery, but their record is 6-8 and they got mentioned how much credit do you expect them to get. There is no doubt in my mind that Avery will be in the mix come playoff time, but 6-8 come on. These voters cannot get to every game, there is no way. They are volunteers, and these teams are spread all across the state. Because the voters are spread across the state, different geographical regions will get representation. Why the SPC is not represented I have no idea, because like most everyone on here, I have a pretty good feel for the teams within an hour of me, but really not much idea about the teams further out at this point. We crossed paths with 3 teams from your conference in the playoffs last year, and of course won all 3 of them, and one of the things that might be hurting your schools rankings is that there is no one that comes to your games. We play 2 of the charters last year in the playoffs and there might have been a total of 100 fans come to both games from the charter schools. We also played Cherryville, and it was standing room only. The more people that comes to your games, the more people know about you. Develop a following and the recognition will come. Ultimately though these polls do not matter other than discussion points. What matters is where you stand at the end of the year not in the middle. Best of luck to your team this season. Maybe you will cross paths with THE Trojans from Alleghany High School in the playoffs.

Has Alleghany been good at basketball before last year? I'm starting to sense a superiority complex as if they are some traditional power.

Actually Illuminati I was just giving TrojanGreen a hard time, as I do anytime I get a shot at a supporter of a magnet or charter. We were actually down for a pretty good period of time, but had a very nice year last year losing in the regionals. We also expect to have a very good year this year, and will have some pretty good kids coming back next year, and will still be pretty good. As is the case with all real 1A schools, there will be peaks and valleys in talent. We are peaking now, but I feel sure that another valley will happen going forward. I will however enjoy it while it is happening, and even after the peak passes, I will still take every opportunity that I get at charters and magnets. Rest assured that there is no superiority complex here, because I have supported them for a long time while they were not very good. I will however feel like our program is superior to those that get the opportunity to play by a different set of rules because in good times and bad, I will know that the kids that we put on the floor are our kids, and that we got them the right way.

1st legitimate team Albemarle plays in playoffs they will lose. To no fault of their own, you don't get better for playoffs by playing cupcakes. Its hard to judge how good they are, everyone in any of these polls would easily win every game on Albemarle's schedule.

Lmao you are dreaming you are talking about a better team that lost in Greensboro to Winston Salem prep stars. Why don't you come and watch them and let me know what you think. Westchester country day is a pretty good team. So you keep sleeping on them lol. Ask Xman he seen them play see if the first descent team will put them out.

As I stated I cant speak on who Albemarle has or has not played just going off style of play and talent they are loaded and have good depth. They have a nice mix of pieces I did not expect to see a 1A team have. I can see Albemarle beating some 2a or 3a teams with there talent. They play full court in your face defense and throw waves of players at you. There only weakness I will see if another team can slow them down but that will be hard because of there experienced guards. I was told they made it to regionals last year. They have a really good 6'4 freshman on varsity who at best will certaintly be a D1 ball player he is bouncy and very active on both ends of the court. They have good size and a few guys who can throw it in the well from time to time. You don't want to get into a track meet with them. Now saying all that I am not saying they cant lose. On any given night that can happen that's why we play the game. Ill tip my hat to the team that beats them.

Last year's 1A West Regional teams were: WS Prep, Albemarle, Avery, and Alleghany. WS Prep beat Avery to go to state.

It's gonna be really interesting if those 4 teams make it back.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Xman8balla:
They have a nice mix of pieces I did not expect to see a 1A team have. I can see Albemarle beating some 2a or 3a teams with there talent.
Considering they beat 3A NW Cabarrus by 30 and 2A Mt Pleasant by 60, I'd say so. I know you haven't watched much 1A ball until this year, but a good rule of thumb for sizing up a 1A team's title chances is usually "could they make it to regionals in 2A or 3A"? Of course, 4A is a different animal. And, of course, there are exceptions...East Carteret might could have won 3A last year, but lost in the 1A finals, but that's a different story.

This post was edited on 1/16 10:38 AM by ObserveAndReport

I think those 4 teams have a legitimate shot at returning, but there are lots of really good 1a teams this year, so we will just have to wait and see.

It is so hard to judge during the regular season because you don't really know the quality of opponent that they are playing. You really cant judge by classification. Lots of people talk about how bad they beat this 2a team and how bad they beat this 3a team, but you really cant judge by that. The worst team that we have played all year is a 2a team, so it is really hard to judge.

Agree that the rankings are as they should be based on records. Bottom line, you gotta win the games you play. But those that keep bringing Avery up, know what they are talking about. Xman's description of Albemarle being talented, deep, and well coached also fits the description of Avery. I wouldn't say Avery is talented in a sense of overly quick or athletic, but they have their fair share of dunks for a mountain team. And if Albemarle can be beaten by slowing the pace, I would think either Alleghany or Avery could be that kind of team if they need to. Here's what I was told about some of Avery's close losses: East Burke beat them at the buzzer, Freedom beat them in Overtime, Smoky Mountain beat them by 3 and Avery missed a 3 at the buzzer to tie, RS Central beat them by 2 and Avery missed a 3 at the buzzer to win. And they played most of the season without 2-3 starters until around christmas right? I didn't get to see regionals last year, but how would it have turned out if Avery and/or Alleghany had played Albemarle?

That is a really good question bball but I am not sure it is answerable. You are talking about teams that play a completely different style to one another. People are easily swayed by fast play with lots of dunks and lots of 3's. That is not Avery or Alleghany's style. They try to make you play a half court game of execution. Who would have won? Not sure, maybe you can get an answer to that question in the playoffs this year. I will say this though, People have been referring to Albemarle as being well coached. You definetly should not discount coach Polsgrove or coach McKnight in that discussion.

Here is the thing Albemarle is not just an up and down team. They actually execute very well offensively and are very disciplined. Last years team would lose to this years team by about 10-15pts. They go 10 deep very strong and have size and speed. Defensively they pressure you the full court and will force you into mistakes. They don't give up a lot of easy layups or shots. It's easy for a team that executes very well to play a team and run their offense but to do it consistently for 4 quarters with constant pressure is tough to do especially when these boys are going after every shot. They are very good in the full court running the floor but they are just as good in the half court executing offensively. Coach Andrew is a great coach who has accomplished a lot in his career and his team is very disciplined and very difficult to rattle. The difference between last years team and this years team is this year they are faster deeper more athletic and in my opinion flat out more skilled.

You are right about the playoffs. There are a lot of good teams and should be exciting from the 2nd rd on. All teams that advance will earn it most definitely not only in boys but in girls as well.

I agree with both of you this will be a good year of hoops I am excited to see how it all breaks down and cant wait they do the seeding of the teams well will have indepth coverage of the playoff brackets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT