ADVERTISEMENT

NCPreps 1A Top 10 Week 8

Jeez people. I hate charters and what they are doing to public education as much as anybody else, but they are a public school with public funds. Anybody has the chance to go to one if they go through the lottery system. You aren't paying out of pocket to attend, which would be the definition of a private school. So while I think they are hurting public education in general, they are themselves a public school and should be in the NCHSAA.

Reactions: The Lake Man
I personally really enjoy what MIC brings to 1-A football. I don't cheer for them to win but I think they've made this message board and the playoffs a lot more exciting. There really aren't that many 1-a teams in the state and things haven't been competitive in a long time. How many years in a row has a team from the SMC represented the West in the 1-a title game? For a fan outside of the SMC, it's kinda refreshing having a team show pride in their school and play competitively against the SMC in November.

MICS should already have championships. The fact that they have a "lottery" in one of the biggest metro areas in the southeast and continue to lose to mediocre teams this season speaks volumes. Nobody is losing sleep over MICS this season. Sorry. You might win one in the next 4 years or you might not. If you don't, not many people would be suprised. There are faster and more athletic teams in 1A than MICS.
It take a all star team to play with the smc

BK it's life outside of those hills my friend. The world doesn't end with a double wide with a AC unit in it.

BK it's life outside of those hills my friend. The world doesn't end with a double wide with a AC unit in it.

Man, I understand your just ribbing BK, but you wouldn't appreciate it if someone said you live in government h in the ghetto just cause your in the city. And your post had nothing to do with BK's quoted posts. Come up with something original man!

Last edited:
07NDraz.jpg

Reactions: BK13T-$
It doesnt take an All Star team to beat an SMC team. They're good..but there's other teams that compete well too that aren't in the SMC. The SMC is fortunate enough to have predominately small 1a schools in which they do dominate come play off time..but ask Murphy and Swain county how hard it is to win in big 1aa playoffs when they play in it. Respect is due to the SMC..but the SMC must respect all other conferences. I know thats hard for a lot of you SMC folk to do.

It doesnt take an All Star team to beat an SMC team. They're good..but there's other teams that compete well too that aren't in the SMC. The SMC is fortunate enough to have predominately small 1a schools in which they do dominate come play off time..but ask Murphy and Swain county how hard it is to win in big 1aa playoffs when they play in it. Respect is due to the SMC..but the SMC must respect all other conferences. I know thats hard for a lot of you SMC folk to do.
I think we do respect the other conferences but we continuely hear how bad 1A teams are or if you had to play in 1AA or 2A etc. That is so stupid to make that comment. The classifications are made for different size schools to compete on a level playing field. This is the reason that true 1A schools, mainly from rural communities get upset with Charter Schools who are popping up in the large cities and can draw athletes from a population of hundreds of thousands. All of our SMC teams come from a area where there under 30,000 in the whole county. We just want a level playing field which people in the cities or the NCHSAA just don’t understand evidently

I agree. Someone said it takes an all star team to beat an smc team...and i said it doesnt.. point blank.

???? Its not like the MVAC has any metropolis cities that any of these teams come from...these areas are just as rural as any SMC area...no all star teams..but there are a couple that will play with the SMCs best...in East Wilkes and Wilkes Central...Like i stated i respect the SMCs accomplishments..but its a top heavy conference. Much like every other 1a conference in the state...Nothin Special that seperates them in this day and time...Its definitely a super relevant conference..just sayin..others are too.

???? Its not like the MVAC has any metropolis cities that any of these teams come from...these areas are just as rural as any SMC area...no all star teams..but there are a couple that will play with the SMCs best...in East Wilkes and Wilkes Central...Like i stated i respect the SMCs accomplishments..but its a top heavy conference. Much like every other 1a conference in the state...Nothin Special that seperates them in this day and time...Its definitely a super relevant conference..just sayin..others are too.

I can remember a few of those loaded Tri-County all-star... ahem... I mean Elkin teams from 2002-2006. Still took everything they had to play with the SMC.

Im sure yall steal from each other in them mountains as well...youre not fooling anybody....and when was the last time a 1aa school from the SMC won a title...i said earlier the small.well robbinsville does well..but the other small 1a teams in the smc are kind of bummish..just like any other conference..its top heavy..let it go bro..i said i respect ya conference..lol..not bowing down to it..like you think others should...No one in your conference other than Murphy can stay on the field with the top 2 in the MVAC this year..History is great..i respect what the SMC has done..but.give it a rest..they're a good 3 team conference..similar to other 1a conferences these days.

SMC= Good conference. Good Tradition. Spoiled Brat Fans like BK are mainly why others love it when they get stomped. Lol. The gap between the SMC and other conferences has closed dramatically and it tears him up when teams get credit other than his crybaby team. Teams used to fear the SMC..but as we watch yall pad your stats playin Home Schools and out of state bum teams, yall kind of lost that swagger..Plus the bottom teams in the SMC are terrible..just like any other conference. SMC will do well in the playoffs. You guys will do well in small 1a. Good luck the rest of the season.

Last edited:
Smc is the best. Facts are their to prove it. You wouldn't call me names face to face. Go ahead doesn't bother me, it shows your envy.

Starmount, Elkin, Mount Airy, and East Surry all have had success against the SMC. East Wilkes is looking to be added to this list.

Lol. Nope Bk. I wouldnt call you that to your face. I guess I'm afraid to. You happy? Good. Realtalk Im a fan of highschool football period. My team is ranked. Your's isn't. Why would I be jealous.? My opinion is just that..its mine..however eskewed as it may be..its mine...SMC to me has good tradition...they play sound fundamental football...jJust saying there's great ball in other areas of 1a North Carolina that rely on hometown talent..just like you guys...not All Stars.

Murphy is the only team in the SMC this year I think could hang with East Wilkes, Mt Airy, etc. Murphy isn't your typical SMC team. They have athletes and will matchup with just about anybody here. East Wilkes, Starmount, Mt Airy, East Surry are all far west piedmont teams and their talent level usually resembles that. Wilkes Central is 2a so it's not really fair to include them however I think WC is more of a Catawba Valley style team than piedmont, Wilkes County is just an enormous county geographical wise. WC is closer to Alexander Central mileage wise than they are East Wilkes. Make no mistake, EW is for real though. They are validating their power week in and week out.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
We only have one smc team in 1aa and they will likely finish 4th in smc.

It just amazes me how you can have a team from a weak conference who has really never accomplished very much, like CSOD two years ago just come out of no where and has a miraculous season then going to the second round of the playoffs, which they almost came back and won. Then they go back to mediocrity. One and done for the Charter Schools after their recruits are gone. Then I say the upcoming great athletes look to see which local charter school is on top and decide to go with the the winning program. It will always be a cycle for Charter Schools. They will never be like Murphy, Robbinsville, Swain with a rich tradition and you know they will be in the top every year. Again, rural SMC teams don’t have the luxury of many thousands to chose from. Yes you are a Public Hand Picked Athletic School. The NC Hand Picked Athletic Association.

Trust me. Don't put your money on anyone over Tarboro

I have to agree with you the way that Tarboro has smashed just about every team on their schedule....Now that WRH is in 2A, I think the door is wide open for the Vikings to step through it...Holmes will be tough no doubt, but Tarboro with their rich recent tradition and basically the same coaching staff that helped develop that tradition, may be just too tough to deal with in the East for any of the 1AA schools..

As far as the West 1AA, East Wilkes, Mount Airy, North Rowan, and possibilly North Stanly will be tough to handle, and wouldn't be surprised to see any of those teams in the 1AA Finals..Still not sure if Bessemer City can match up with any of those 4 schools, but the Yellowjackets are definitely having a historic season this year....West Montgomery and possibilly South Stanly could also play a factor come playoff time as could East Surry....You just never know?

As for the small 1A playoffs, Murphy has the skill players, tradition and coaching to make it back, and defend their 1A title....Don't sleep on either Robbinsville, Cherokee, MICS or Mitchell Co. because all 4 of those teams will have a big say in who makes it to the 1A Championship out of the West....Don't know which class South Stanly will be in, but the Rebel Bulls could be a factor should they be classified as a small 1A playoff participant?

As for the East, North Duplin looks like the early favorite to make it to the title game, but Plymouth or maybe Northampton if they are small could challenge....Don't know how it will shake out for Lakewood, and whether the Leopards will be big or small, but they too will be a factor if in the 1A playoffs, and Southside who was humbled by North Duplin a few weeks ago, would I'm sure like to have another crack at the Rebels come playoff time?....Still lots to sort out yet, and we all know how injuries to key personnel, can really change a team's season in a hurry...Hopefully, all the 1A teams will have their full compliment of players come playoff time...

No sense in me debating the issue about the SMC because it's proven in the last 7 years that it is the best conference with Swain, Robbinsville and Murphy all claiming state titles and state runnerup finishes, during that span....

Will agree though that it has been pretty much a top heavy conference during that time, but Cherokee is crashing the party this year, and small 1A schools will have to deal with the Braves come playoff time....

Just my two cents!

It just amazes me how you can have a team from a weak conference who has really never accomplished very much, like CSOD two years ago just come out of no where and has a miraculous season then going to the second round of the playoffs, which they almost came back and won. Then they go back to mediocrity. One and done for the Charter Schools after their recruits are gone. Then I say the upcoming great athletes look to see which local charter school is on top and decide to go with the the winning program. It will always be a cycle for Charter Schools. They will never be like Murphy, Robbinsville, Swain with a rich tradition and you know they will be in the top every year. Again, rural SMC teams don’t have the luxury of many thousands to chose from. Yes you are a Public Hand Picked Athletic School. The NC Hand Picked Athletic Association.
It’s getting close to Playoffs so Im just adding fuel to the fire !!

Reactions: BravesGWY
Thats sounds silly. The teams that got beat before they got to Elkin..just got beat. Plain and simple. The 2003 Elks were not dominated by Swain..LOL..Swain took an L..back to the mountains..Remember..stats matter none..just wins and losses matter!

Man, I understand your just ribbing BK, but you wouldn't appreciate it if someone said you live in government h in the ghetto just cause your in the city. And your post had nothing to do with BK's quoted posts. Come up with something original man!

Mountie stop being sensitive and appreciate some humor. BK and I have a complicated relationship. We're like a old stubborn couple. We argue but stay around each other for the company.

In 2002, Starmount beat Murphy at Murphy 38-12. That year Starmount beat Elkin 20-0. I think it would have been a good game in 2002 if Elkin and Murphy had played.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT