9. Nash Central 7-2
  10. Hunt 8-1
  11. SouthWest Edgecombe 7-2
  12. West Craven 6-3
  13. Wilson Prep 8-1
  14. Currituck County 6-3
  15. J.H. Rose 4-5

1A West Football Projection​

Time of last update -- Tuesday, Oct. 24, 12:50 p.m.
Automatic bids

Note: Where there is a currently-unbreakable tie for an automatic bid, we are using RPI (which is how the NCHSAA breaks ties that cannot be done by head-to-head or "best win").
Conference 1-seeds are in bold. Conference 1-seeds who would not be seeded as 1-seeds if the playoffs began today are in bold italics.
*Football Only 1-seed: Bishop McGuinness
Football Only 2-seed: Mountain Island Charter
*Central Carolina 1-seed: North Rowan
#Mountain Foothills 7 1-seed: Polk County
Northwest 1-seed: Mount Airy
Northwest 2-seed: Starmount
*Piedmont Athletic 1-seed: Eastern Randolph
*Southern Piedmont 1-seed: Bessemer City
Smoky Mountain 1-seed: Robbinsville

Smoky Mountain 2-seed: Swain County
*Western Highlands 1-seed: Draughn
*Yadkin Valley 1-seed: Albemarle

*-Split conference with 2A schools — 1-seeds must be in the top 3 or have an overall win percentage of .500 or better to be seeded with the 1-seeds, or else be seeded with the 2s and wild-cards.

#-as the only 1A team, Polk County must finish in the top 2 to be seeded as a 1-seed and get an automatic berth

Last five in, first five out
In:

28. Cherryville
29. Carver
30. Elkin
31. Winston-Salem Prep
32. Rosman
Out:
1. Thomas Jefferson Classical Academy
2. North Stokes
3. Union Academy
4. Highland Tech

Projected seeds, matchups​

(1) Robbinsville vs (32) Rosman
(16) Mountain Island Charter vs (17) Alleghany
/

(8) Bessemer City vs (25) Avery County
(9) Swain County vs (24) Polk County
//
(5) Mountain Heritage vs (28) Cherryville

(12) Starmount vs (21) South Stanly
/
(13) Draughn vs (20) Cherokee
(4) North Rowan vs (29) Carver

///
(3) Eastern Randolph vs (30) Elkin
(14) Hayesville vs (19) Corvian Community
/

(6) Bishop McGuinness vs (27) South Davidson
(11) Thomasville vs (22) Andrews
//

(7) Albemarle vs (26) South Stokes
(10) Murphy vs (23) Christ the King

/
(15) Mitchell vs (18) East Wilkes
(2) Mount Airy vs (31) Winston-Salem Prep

Starmount looks to be in a good spot.
Hell Yeah Yes GIF by ANTIQUES ROADSHOW | PBS

Sorry, Carolina Preps Top 25 for Week 11.

Top-25 Power Rankings: Week 11​

Chris Hughes 32 mins ago Comments Offon Top-25 Power Rankings: Week 11

Top-25 Roundup: Week 10

1A
RankSchoolRecordPrev.
1Mount Airy(9-0)1
2Tarboro(8-0)2
3Swain County(9-0)4
4Robbinsville(8-1)3
5Eastern Randolph(8-1)5
6Draughn(8-1)6
7West Columbus(8-1)7
8Mountain Heritage(7-2)8
9Starmount(8-1)9
10Murphy(6-3)10
11North Rowan(8-1)12
12Mitchell(7-2)11
13Southeast Halifax(8-1)13
14Thomasville(6-3)14
15North Moore(7-2)20
16Lakewood(7-2)15
17North Duplin (7-2)17
18Northside(7-2)19
19Hayesville(5-4)16
20Wilson Prep(8-1)18
21Rosewood(5-4)22
22Cherokee(5-4)23
23Andrews(4-5)24
24Hobbton(5-4)25
25Mountain Island Charter(6-3)NR

Second round Starmount @ Heritage would be an excellent matchup.
or Starmount vs Draughn depending on the winner Friday night, if RPI worked out that way.

Go Mountaineers
Second round Starmount @ Heritage would be an excellent matchup.
or Starmount vs Draughn depending on the winner Friday night, if RPI worked out that way.

Go Mountaineers
I think Draughn or Starmount have a great opportunity to come out of Swain/Robbinsville pairing. I truly believe parity does not equal great. I think both are over rated due to parity of their conference. I may be wrong.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
I don't know. If I was a Starmount fan, that trip up to Heritage second round would make me a little nervous.
I would have to agree. Mount heritage probably beats the brakes off Starmount. And who is the fool that said and it's a good opportunity for them to come out of the bracket with robbinsville or Swain. Dude. They will get run all over. And I honestly hate to say it but I think the boys from Burke county will torch the Rams secondary. If East Wilkes could have stopped over throwing balls they would have scored her quite a few times.

I don't know. If I was a Starmount fan, that trip up to Heritage second round would make me a little nervous.
Why would the 12 seed be nervous of the 5 seed? According to the seeding starmount should be the underdog anyways so why act like they are the favorite. Yalls logic starmounts supposed to get beat so they shouldn’t be worried if that’s the case

Reactions: NCBBFB
I would have to agree. Mount heritage probably beats the brakes off Starmount. And who is the fool that said and it's a good opportunity for them to come out of the bracket with robbinsville or Swain. Dude. They will get run all over. And I honestly hate to say it but I think the boys from Burke county will torch the Rams secondary. If East Wilkes could have stopped over throwing balls they would have scored her quite a few times.
There’s the almighty rough. The starmount/ Draughn hater. That matchup may make your head explode since you hate both schools so bad. Clown go pull for whoever it is you pull for now, starmount nor Draughn need or want your opinion

Reactions: NCBBFB
Why would the 12 seed be nervous of the 5 seed? According to the seeding starmount should be the underdog anyways so why act like they are the favorite. Yalls logic starmounts supposed to get beat so they shouldn’t be worried if that’s the case
Playing Heritage at Heritage in mid-November is never easy. I'm an ER/PG fan. These two teams have made quite a few trips to Heritage over the last 15 years. Very rarely has it ever been a positive result.

Playing Heritage at Heritage in mid-November is never easy. I'm an ER/PG fan. These two teams have made quite a few trips to Heritage over the last 15 years. Very rarely has it ever been a positive result.
I’m not saying that. I’m saying starmount will be the underdog so realistically they aren’t expected to win anyways, so why should the trip make them nervous?

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
I’m not saying that. I’m saying starmount will be the underdog so realistically they aren’t expected to win anyways, so why should the trip make them nervous?
I didn't say the trip would make the TEAM nervous. I was replying to Bearmod's post that Starmount was in a good spot. I'm just saying that looks can be deceiving. Especially with a team like Mtn. Heritage.

I didn't say the trip would make the TEAM nervous. I was replying to Bearmod's post that Starmount was in a good spot. I'm just saying that looks can be deceiving. Especially with a team like Mtn. Heritage.
I agree with that. I misunderstood your point at first. No doubt it’s not an easy road but it would mean whoever comes out of that side avoids ER and MA till the end which is a blessing considering I do believe they are a different level than the rest of the field.

I agree with that. I misunderstood your point at first. No doubt it’s not an easy road but it would mean whoever comes out of that side avoids ER and MA till the end which is a blessing considering I do believe they are a different level than the rest of the field.
I hope you're right about ER. I feel a little better about this version of the Wildcats than I did at the beginning.

I am glad to see Starmount relevant again. I remember when they were strong in the late 90's. It'd be cool to see Deana walk into Burton Cates Stadium.

Nah they played it before game. Don’t play music during games.
IK that dang cannon scared the crap out of me first time it went off, It was pretty cool though. MA use to have a guy shoot a musket when they scored I believe his name was Carroll Shelar. This was 80s. Prob get arrested now with Musket on school grounds lol. Different World for sure.

Last edited:
IK that dang cannon scared the crap out of me first time it went off, It was pretty cool though. MA use to have a guy shoot a musket when they scored I believe his name was Jim Grow. This was 80s. Prob get arrested now with Musket on school grounds lol. Different World for sure.
His name was Carroll Shelar and his stepson played football for Mount Airy. Carroll and his wife rode with my wife and me at the time to all the away games. He fit right in when Mount Airy played Watauga at the Appalachian State Mountaineers football field in the state playoffs.

1A West Football Projection​

Time of last update -- Tuesday, Oct. 24, 12:50 p.m.
Automatic bids

Note: Where there is a currently-unbreakable tie for an automatic bid, we are using RPI (which is how the NCHSAA breaks ties that cannot be done by head-to-head or "best win").
Conference 1-seeds are in bold. Conference 1-seeds who would not be seeded as 1-seeds if the playoffs began today are in bold italics.
*Football Only 1-seed: Bishop McGuinness
Football Only 2-seed: Mountain Island Charter
*Central Carolina 1-seed: North Rowan
#Mountain Foothills 7 1-seed: Polk County
Northwest 1-seed: Mount Airy
Northwest 2-seed: Starmount
*Piedmont Athletic 1-seed: Eastern Randolph
*Southern Piedmont 1-seed: Bessemer City
Smoky Mountain 1-seed: Robbinsville

Smoky Mountain 2-seed: Swain County
*Western Highlands 1-seed: Draughn
*Yadkin Valley 1-seed: Albemarle

*-Split conference with 2A schools — 1-seeds must be in the top 3 or have an overall win percentage of .500 or better to be seeded with the 1-seeds, or else be seeded with the 2s and wild-cards.

#-as the only 1A team, Polk County must finish in the top 2 to be seeded as a 1-seed and get an automatic berth

Last five in, first five out
In:

28. Cherryville
29. Carver
30. Elkin
31. Winston-Salem Prep
32. Rosman
Out:
1. Thomas Jefferson Classical Academy
2. North Stokes
3. Union Academy
4. Highland Tech

Projected seeds, matchups​

(1) Robbinsville vs (32) Rosman
(16) Mountain Island Charter vs (17) Alleghany
/

(8) Bessemer City vs (25) Avery County
(9) Swain County vs (24) Polk County
//
(5) Mountain Heritage vs (28) Cherryville

(12) Starmount vs (21) South Stanly
/
(13) Draughn vs (20) Cherokee
(4) North Rowan vs (29) Carver

///
(3) Eastern Randolph vs (30) Elkin
(14) Hayesville vs (19) Corvian Community
/

(6) Bishop McGuinness vs (27) South Davidson
(11) Thomasville vs (22) Andrews
//

(7) Albemarle vs (26) South Stokes
(10) Murphy vs (23) Christ the King

/
(15) Mitchell vs (18) East Wilkes
(2) Mount Airy vs (31) Winston-Salem Prep
I don't think Albemarle will be a 7 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT