ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA seeding process

Sportsnut17

Oct 7, 2005
Seems to be a lot of questions about seeding.

From the NCHSAA handbook:

4.1.18 Seeding:

(a) Once the qualifying teams are determined, they will be divided into four (4) groups, (i.e. East, Mideast, Midwest, West) based upon the longitude of each school.

(b) Seed all first place, regular season conference champions by 22-game winning percentage (10-game, football; All games, Tennis, Wrestling & Lacrosse) followed by;

(c) Conference tournament champions by 22-game winning percentage (10-game, football; All games, Tennis, Wrestling & Lacrosse), followed by;

(d) All other qualifying teams by 22-game winning percentage (10-game, football; All games, Tennis, Wrestling & Lacrosse)

(1) All ties for seeding in (a), (b) or (c) will be broken by:

(i) All Head-to-Head Competition Note: The non-conference game(s) that are dropped for seeding purposes may still be used in breaking a tie. Note: All teams involved in the tie must have played each other.

(ii) 24-game record (11-game, Football; All games, Tennis, Wrestling and Lacrosse)

(iii) MaxPreps Ranking (last available ranking at the time of the seeding) (iv) Draw

4.1.18 Seeding:

(a) Once the qualifying teams are determined, they will be divided into four (4) groups, (i.e. East, Mideast, Midwest, West) based upon the longitude of each school.

(b) Seed all first place, regular season conference champions by 22-game winning percentage (10-game, football; All games, Tennis, Wrestling & Lacrosse) followed by;

(c) Conference tournament champions by 22-game winning percentage (10-game, football; All games, Tennis, Wrestling & Lacrosse), followed by;

(d) All other qualifying teams by 22-game winning percentage (10-game, football; All games, Tennis, Wrestling & Lacrosse)

(i) All Head-to-Head Competition Note: The non-conference game(s) that are dropped for seeding purposes may still be used in breaking a tie. Note: All teams involved in the tie must have played each other.

(ii) 24-game record (11-game, Football; All games, Tennis, Wrestling and Lacrosse)

(iii) MaxPreps Ranking (last available ranking at the time of the seeding) (iv) Draw

4.1.18 Seeding:

4.1.18 Seeding:

Mr. SportNut if Northeastern,Holmes,and Hertford County are tied for the conference championship who will be the #1 seed from their conference? Thanks.

Sportnut if Northeastern,Holmes,and Hertford County end up being Tri-conference champions who will get the #1 seed from the conference since each other beat the other. Northeastern beat Holmes,Hertford County lost to Holmes,and Northeastern lost to Hertford County. Do they do a coin flip?

Sportnut if Northeastern,Holmes,and Hertford County end up being Tri-conference champions who will get the #1 seed from the conference since each other beat the other. Northeastern beat Holmes,Hertford County lost to Holmes,and Northeastern lost to Hertford County. Do they do a coin flip?

Draw.

Here is the whole process from NCHSAA handbook.

4.1.17 Playoff Berths/Qualification:

(a) All teams that finish first (1st) in the conference regular season or are the conference tournament champions, automatically qualify. In a split conference a team must finish 1st in their part of the split or be the conference tournament champion to automatically qualify.

(1) Split conferences cannot have separate tournaments, and the regular season conference champion must participate in the conference tournament.

(b) All other teams qualify based upon the best 22-game record (10-game, Football; All games, Tennis, Wrestling and Lacrosse) from the non-automatic qualifiers in a classification.

(c) All classifications will field a full complement of 64 teams with the exception of Tennis, Wrestling and Lacrosse.

(d) If ties exist for the final at-large berth(s) qualifiers, they will be broken by:

(1) All Head-to-Head Competition:
(i) The non-conference game(s) that are dropped for seeding purposes may still be used in breaking a tie

(2) Conference Winning Percentage

(3) Draw

4.1.18 Seeding:

4.1.19 Bracketing:

(a) Once the seeding process is complete, the pairings will be made with teams from the East paired with teams from the Mideast and teams from the Midwest paired with teams from the West.

(b) A bracketing template for each sport will be posted on the NCHSAA website.

4.1.20 Reporting Playoff Advancement:

(a) After schools have qualified for the playoffs, it is their responsibility to report advancement by the appropriate method and deadline as designated by the NCHSAA.

(b) Failure to report a playoff advancement will result in a $400 fine to the school. Teams must report advancement no later than 6 a.m. the day following each win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT