ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy / Rville game....

My late-to-the-party 2 cents...

First, #4 and #1 are two great kids, who also happen to be two great quarterbacks. Good problem to have. In the much bigger picture, they'll hopefully make upstanding adults and exemplars in their communites. They may even grow up to recognize that the message board chatter we goobers are engaged in right now is the stuff of fools, armchair qbs and never-was's who are a lil sore after the Black Knights (commendably, by the way) made their chest-puffing prognostication look bad.

Secondly, it comes with the visibility of the position that everyone thinks he knows what he's looking at when it comes to QBing. You don't. I don't. Neither does John Gruden, for that matter, because you, he and I are not in the huddle of every practice every day, nor allowed on the field Friday night. Plus, you can't even tell me one single route read/ progression Murphy makes, and that's just a start. What coverage was Rville in vs. spread? How about spread over? How did that change when under center? Who's your talent read? Hell, what's a huddle cadence supposed to sound like? Or basic footwork on a buck sweep? Somebody posted something about a "zone read"...Do you even know what that is? (Murphy doesn't run zone, or zone read.)

Both kids work really hard and care about their team's success over their own. Both have proven themselves and will find their place (like...remember when #4 made the Cherokee game not a game one week ago? Oh yeah. Or what he did to everybody's diaper-dandy Rosman a mere season ago? 7/7, 300 yards, 5td...tell me again how you can't win with that kid.) And #1 has all the earmarks of greatness. He's one of those special athletes who will find a way to win a badminton contest if you just tell him the rules and turn him loose. Each will do great things and make some mistakes along the way. And they'll cheer on each other no matter the circumstances. And they're 17 and 15 years old...Are you as big?

PS, I think I'd trust the coaches (who have more rings than the Kardashians) to figure out who needs to be doing what when. Just saying.

Go Dogs.

Last edited:
The playing time should be based on opponent and in game situation, which is what I'm sure the coaching staff was already doing. Both QB's have a role to play moving forward. Personally, I'm partial to dual threat QB's but #4 absolutely still has an important part to play for this team.

But I think it's also pretty obvious that #1 has earned more shares of the playing time with the way he played not only Friday night, but essentially every opportunity he's been given to perform. It's a good problem for Murphy to have, #4 is very good and #1 can be great.

QB is a non issue, the issue for Murphy is the way the 'Dogs were manhandled up front Monday night. This has been a common theme against quality line play the last two seasons. I have faith this will be improved upon but it absolutely must if this team is to have any shot at a state title.

Last edited:
Kent did take big hits!! Kent took big hits!! It would be hard to move the ball TAKING the hits!!
He might've been sacked-he might've thrown an easy TD pass too!
Kent needs to be in a passing style coached program anyway-
If Ray G and Ceasar C were over the football program it would not even be a question..still a good college prospect player-but, D Gentry doesn't help promote these kids with colleges anyway. If Gentry isn't going to reap benefits, he could give a shit about anything else
So I'm assuming you must know Gentry extremely well. Like on a personal basis..because surely you wouldn't say anything that bold and horrible about someone unless you knew 100%, without a shadow of a doubt that thats the truth....but Im pretty sure you cant promise that. You crack me up. "needs to be in a passing style coached program" Im so sick of these keyboard coaches. I think Gentry has proved himself over and over and over and over and OVER again that he knows what hes doing....hes resume speaks for himself. Show me yours and lets compare shall we?

Just an outsider's perspective (and to add fuel to the fire ), if you feel that Robbinsville is a clear favorite to repeat as champion for this year and there is nothing that can be done about it, play the younger QB all you can. The more reps he gets now, the better it is for the future. Captain Obvious! Out! :)

PS. I love you guys and SMC football...except when WM has to play one of ya'll. If I could live anywhere else in the state, it would be up in the mountains with you guys watching SMC football on Friday Nights!

Kent did take big hits!! Kent took big hits!! It would be hard to move the ball TAKING the hits!!
He might've been sacked-he might've thrown an easy TD pass too!
Kent needs to be in a passing style coached program anyway-
If Ray G and Ceasar C were over the football program it would not even be a question..still a good college prospect player-but, D Gentry doesn't help promote these kids with colleges anyway. If Gentry isn't going to reap benefits, he could give a shit about anything else
I will be giving eye exams Saturday morning , need bi focals , or contacts or maybe surgery or anything else I know nothing about , at least I can mouth off an opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT