ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy @ Mitchell

Murphy by 14 if not more. Too many athletes for Mitchell. Can’t key on just one. Murphy Line has improved throughout the year. That’s why their backs are averaging 10 yards per carry. Probably the second best 1A/1AA team in the state right now.

I’m pretty sure 32 ran all over Mitchell 2 yrs ago. But that line was crazy good. Is Murphy’s line on that level this year?
They dont have anyone as good as Powell on the d-line (Powell was a monster though, probably the best defensive player in all of 1A that year) but I think as a group the o-line and d-lines aren't far off what they were in 2016.

Last edited:
They dont have anyone as good as Powell on the d-line (but Powell was a monster, probably the best defensive pl in all of 1A that year) but I think as a group the o-line and d-lines are not far off what they were in 2016.
there is no doubt that murphy is the god in 1a football

Last edited:
Reactions: dogs79
Going off maxpreps stats . You don't average 327 yards per game rushing on bad line play . KJ Allen 9.6 ypc 12 tds , Slade Mctaggart 10.2 ypc 17 tds , Devante Murray 9.4 ypc 11tds , Chase Roberts 7.4 ypc 1 td . Micah Nelson (qb) 7 ypc 4 tds , pick your poison .

Reactions: Gentle Knight
Going off maxpreps stats . You don't average 327 yards per game rushing on bad line play . KJ Allen 9.6 ypc 12 tds , Slade Mctaggart 10.2 ypc 17 tds , Devante Murray 9.4 ypc 11tds , Chase Roberts 7.4 ypc 1 td . Micah Nelson (qb) 7 ypc 4 tds , pick your poison .
Well..... kinda also depends on who you’re playing. I was just looking for a comparison between 16 and now.

Well..... kinda also depends on who you’re playing. I was just looking for a comparison between 16 and now.

Well considering we were both ranked Murphy and Mitchell within 4 places of each other all season take it for what you will .

I believe this line is much better than last years and on par with 16s , but you never know how hs kids will play on any given night.

More of an old school vibe to this line , they are physical and play with alot of intensity .

How good are Murphy's main wings? It looks like they give up a couple inches to Mitchell's. That could make a difference if Mitchell can't find success on the ground...

Well considering we were both ranked Murphy and Mitchell within 4 places of each other all season take it for what you will .

I believe this line is much better than last years and on par with 16s , but you never know how hs kids will play on any given night.

More of an old school vibe to this line , they are physical and play with alot of intensity .

I believe this line is much better than last years and on par with 16s.
Yep and the o-line should be just as good next year and better than all of those in 2020. People don't realize Murphy has a sophomore in #73, who as long as he keeps working hard, will be a D1 player. He's that talented.

How good are Murphy's main wings? It looks like they give up a couple inches to Mitchell's. That could make a difference if Mitchell can't find success on the ground...

Wings ? You mean secondary ? They do give up alot of height but they are extremely quick and athletic 18 interceptions on the season. Our 3 Wrs , go both ways at corner and fs with our qb rounding out the fs position.

Some teams have had some success on us through the air this year Rosman and Robbinsville with quick passes in the holes of the zone d .

But McTaggart and Robert's apply good pressure off the edge at LB .

Reactions: mbdfan
Sounds like Pisgah was by far the best defense that Murphy played this year. Would that be a correct assumption?

Sounds like Pisgah was by far the best defense that Murphy played this year. Would that be a correct assumption?
Yeah but I wouldn't read too much into that game. Murphy's starting RB/OLB #32 barely played, sprained his ankle real bad early in the 2nd quarter and the other starting OLB (and backup RB) #40 didn't play at all with a seperated shoulder. So Murphy played most of that game with their third string RB and two backup OLB's. Plus Murphy's starting strong safety quit the team the week of the game and they had to move people around in the secondary and ended up starting a freshman at corner as a result.

Despite the injuries and a player quitting the week of the game those aren't the biggest reasons Murphy lost that game though. No, the biggest reason Murphy lost was because they were breaking in 4 new starters on the o-line and a QB who had never played QB before at any level.

Pisgah's experience in the trenches is what beat Murphy, if they played tomorrow I like Murphy's chances in that one very much.

Huh? Mitchell lost to WRH in '15: the state champs, Mitchell lost to Murphy in '16: the state champs, Mitchell lost to Cherokee in '17: the state champs.

I cant speak for the loss to Cherokee last year but I saw the WRH and Murphy games with my own two eyes and the more talented team won both of those games. Mitchell has had their season ended by some damn good football teams the last few years, that's not choking.
Actually Mitchell lost to whiteville
Well Mitchell DOES have their own very good backs. And I think our #10 is better than any of Murphy's wide receivers. But, all that is moot, because both teams lines are going to be the deciding factor. #76 for Murphy is a freak, and while Mitchell has a very solid line, I don't know if anyone can contain him.
I haven't seen anyone yet keep up with #10 but if you don't use him it doesn't matter. Against Cherokee partly because of the weather the long pass to may not have been there but all you need is a short pass like the 10 yard pass across the middle that he scored on but never tried again on the sweep he got big yards on. He had two catches against mtn heritage both TD's but then stood on the sideline while they ran the ball up the middle three times for nothing.

Seems like it to me. Held Murphy under 200 yds rushing and yes I know you guys had a few players out.
Franklin/Murphy. Murphy 375 yds rushing. 21 yds passing
Franklin/Murphy. Mitchell 320 yds rushing. 124 yds passing.
This should be a great game despite Mitchell’s performance against Cherokee.

Reactions: smcdogfan
Franklin/Murphy. Murphy 375 yds rushing. 21 yds passing
Franklin/Murphy. Mitchell 320 yds rushing. 124 yds passing.
This should be a great game despite Mitchell’s performance against Cherokee.
Sry Franklin/Mitchell

Huh? Mitchell lost to WRH in '15: the state champs, Mitchell lost to Murphy in '16: the state champs, Mitchell lost to Cherokee in '17: the state champs.

I cant speak for the loss to Cherokee last year but I saw the WRH and Murphy games with my own two eyes and the more talented team won both of those games. Mitchell has had their season ended by some damn good football teams the last few years, that's not choking.
I will not disagree with that

No, Mitchell lost to WRH in the 1AA state title game in 2015. You must have your years or teams mixed up, because like I said I watched that game.
I tried to delete that. I thought you were talking about Whiteville instead of Wallace rose. Then I realized you were talking about Wallace rose as well. But some reason the site wouldn't let delete it and posted the beginning of my sentence which was going to be Whiteville 2014. Then I was going on from there.

We should probably go ahead and forfeit

Get out of here with that , this is the game that's been speculated about for months on here. Two teams that's been beside each other in the rankings all season. It's going to be a war and one bad game vs Cherokee doesn't change my opinion on that.

I just want to know at what point do our teams set up a yearly home and away series because we all want to see it.

Get out of here with that , this is the game that's been speculated about for months on here. Two teams that's been beside each other in the rankings all season. It's going to be a war and one bad game vs Cherokee doesn't change my opinion in that.

I just want to know at what point do our teams set up a yearly home and away series because we all want to see it.
Someone at my church said( probably joking because of the distance) that we should just go ahead and join the SMC since we play them in the playoffs every year.

Go BULLDOGS. We are Murphy fans in Teachey

Goodluck to the orange dogs as well. I will never forget seeing the orange bulldog hats setting on our side during the state championship game vs Plymouth . Much respect to WRH

Get out of here with that , this is the game that's been speculated about for months on here. Two teams that's been beside each other in the rankings all season. It's going to be a war and one bad game vs Cherokee doesn't change my opinion on that.

They used to have home and away series. It's a little different now with both being 1a, but it would be a dandy non conference game that would add strength to both resumes, and stave off some of the clowns on here...

Wallace Rose Hill, first class program and first class fans. Hope those Black an Orange Bulldogs get another ring this year.
I wonder what they thought look at our side the year Mitchell played them. We had over 7,000 people there. There is under 16,000 in the whole county.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT