ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy @ MA

Looking forward to Murphy coming to Mt Arrogant this coming Friday night. I do not think the emotions of The Bears will not be as high this week, more of a normal, let's get it done week of practice. Mitchell really did give us what we needed (did not want, but needed) which was a full 4 quarter game by our first team.

Yes Mt Airy is an unusually deep team for 1A so that all positions but one we lose very little when the 2nd person comes in (Stroup and his kicking is just hard to duplicate). Looking forward to an exciting night.

I pretty much agree with this, the way Murphy is wired offensively plays into Mount Airy's strengths. Mount Airy is a bad matchup for anybody, but especially Murphy.
Murphy & Mount Airy have played twice since 2004 and are 1-1 going into this game it is only going to be a tie-breaker and as I said in another post Mount Airy has a good chance of playing 2 SMC teams with 3 of the 8 teams left are from the SMC. If Mount Airy gets by Murphy my thoughts are will the western finals if they don't lose will it be Mount Airy vs Robbinsville or will Swain win the 2nd match-up with Robbinsville Friday night? Have safe travels to Mount Airy for all the Murphy fans coming to the game.

Murphy & Mount Airy have played twice since 2004 and are 1-1 going into this game it is only going to be a tie-breaker and as I said in another post Mount Airy has a good chance of playing 2 SMC teams with 3 of the 8 teams left are from the SMC. If Mount Airy gets by Murphy my thoughts are will the western finals if they don't lose will it be Mount Airy vs Robbinsville or will Swain win the 2nd match-up with Robbinsville Friday night? Have safe travels to Mount Airy for all the Murphy fans coming to the game.

Have played 3 times since 2004 MA leads 2-1 since 2005 and 3-2 0verall. MA has won the last 2.

Mt. Airy vs Murphy3260.00%19962017- MA 49 MHS 35;
2006 - MA 42 MHS 20;
2005 MHS 27 MA 14;
1997- MA 20 MHS 14;
1996 - MHS 19 MA 0

Looking forward to Murphy coming to Mt Arrogant this coming Friday night. I do not think the emotions of The Bears will not be as high this week, more of a normal, let's get it done week of practice. Mitchell really did give us what we needed (did not want, but needed) which was a full 4 quarter game by our first team.

Yes Mt Airy is an unusually deep team for 1A so that all positions but one we lose very little when the 2nd person comes in (Stroup and his kicking is just hard to duplicate). Looking forward to an exciting night.
I really like reading your posts that put everything into the way things actually happen on the field in a way all can understand how the games go. Keep up your great posts. Thank you !

• Haha
Reactions: buzzcoach
MA leads 2-1 since 2005 and 3-2 0verall
Mt. Airy vs Murphy3260.00%19962017- MA 49 MHS 35;
2006 - MA 42 MHS 20;
2005 MHS 27 MA 14;
1997- MA 20 MHS 14;
1996 - MHS 19 MA 0
Thank you DD, I knew you would have the actual wins and losses. I got mine off of MaxPreps and only went back to 2004 on their records keeping.

• Haha
Reactions: buzzcoach
Thank you DD, I knew you would have the actual wins and losses. I got mine off of MaxPreps and only went back to 2004 on their records keeping.
I saw your laugh BUZZ, and it is good to see you are still here. You have my apologies for calling you a POS. Come on back and continue what you love to do and we both can get along as BEAR Supporters and all BEAR fans can stick together! I for one miss your posts. POS is an abbreviation for positive. lol Get back in here supporting our BEARS !

Vining would've been a really good fullback for that 2025 team and a good piece at LB on D too, but unfortunately he's at Hayesville now. I feel had he gotten moved to starting fullback after losing the QB battle this past off-season, he'd still be here.

The 8th grader Bain on JV has a strong arm, stereotypical QB build and is a solid athlete, he could really push Grant for the QB job in 2025 if Grant hasn't made more strides by then.
I agree on Bain. He can be super good if he really commits to it and works hard. Not that he doesn’t work hard or isn’t committed, but I hear baseball is his favorite sport and you know how that usually goes once a kid gets to high school. If he were to decide not to play football (hope not, knock on wood), this is where Ray G moving away would really come back to bite us. His youngest son would have been an awesome QB for Murphy.

Reactions: mbdfan
MA has grown (enrollment) over the past 2 years; very well could be 2A in ‘25…..word is with the # of new school’s opening we are looking at 8 classes
I have an honest question. If Millennium did not exist, do you think Mt Airy would already be 2A? I really don't know much about ADM'S.

I think so. But They are K-12 so it would be close.
But after listening to some of the other posters about the numbers they have below this post, I am not so sure now.

Last edited:
Tough matchup for any team but I believe Murphy will copy and paste Mitchells game plan from the first half last week.. Mitchell was able run the ball / chew clock and put together a couple good drives just stalled out in the redzone if they could have converted them into scores might have been a game, saying that Murphy should be able to run the ball some on MA the question is can they play a mistake free game and convert some of them drives.

MA made some player changes and defensive changes and stopped that running. They will have two defensive starters back this week also. Should be a good challenge for both teams. This will be a measuring stick for the SMC.

I want to apologize for all the decent non antagonizing MA posters. We have a few posters that get under our skin too and they do not represent Mount Airy High School, the football team, nor our coaches. Mount Airy High School has a high degree of integrity and respect for others. This is just a message board and some posters comments and exuberance do not represent the majority. We hope Murphy has a safe trip to our beautiful landmark city and you will be treated well in the "Friendly City". Playing and watching a game at Wallace Shelton Stadium is a unique experience. By the way, I am not on the staff either, but a lifelong volunteer for promoting MA sports.

I want to apologize for all the decent non antagonizing MA posters. We have a few posters that get under our skin too and they do not represent Mount Airy High School, the football team, nor our coaches. Mount Airy High School has a high degree of integrity and respect for others. This is just a message board and some posters comments and exuberance do not represent the majority. We hope Murphy has a safe trip to our beautiful landmark city and you will be treated well in the "Friendly City". Playing and watching a game at Wallace Shelton Stadium is a unique experience. By the way, I am not on the staff either, but a lifelong volunteer for promoting MA sports.

You promote for Mount Airy as one should!

Millinery gets kids from all over the county as well as Patrick county and I think some from as far away as Pinnacle
They have a bus that goes all the way to King, NC, which has been posted in the past. Maybe from Cana, Va also. My grandkids go to Millennium from out of the Surry County school system. They have middle school football and high school soccer listed in the sports schedule now.

Vining would've been a really good fullback for that 2025 team and a good piece at LB on D too, but unfortunately he's at Hayesville now. I feel had he gotten moved to starting fullback after losing the QB battle this past off-season, he'd still be here.

The 8th grader Bain on JV has a strong arm, stereotypical QB build and is a solid athlete, he could really push Grant for the QB job in 2025 if Grant hasn't made more strides by then.

Vining is a great young man and really well liked by his teammates at Hayesville. Really hope his family sticks around because Cole will be an outstanding junior and senior on that team.

Tough matchup for any team but I believe Murphy will copy and paste Mitchells game plan from the first half last week.. Mitchell was able run the ball / chew clock and put together a couple good drives just stalled out in the redzone if they could have converted them into scores might have been a game, saying that Murphy should be able to run the ball some on MA the question is can they play a mistake free game and convert some of them drives.
Not sure it was as much as a game plan as it was just Mitchell's identity all year. Mistake especially on the first drive I believe was going away from it with passing. MA did make D adjustments in the second half but didn't help that Mitchell's RB & backbone of the offense and as far as that goes the defense was out the second half. But if Murphy offense is better than their D as someone mentioned then long drives and keeping their offense off the field would probably be the way to go.

Reactions: MEDICEMTP
I would like to say first and foremost that I apologize for making comments that have embarrassed some of the mount Airy supporters that hang out with me at our tailgating. You may be the historian for mount airy football but do not make the mistake ever again of saying that I do not having integrity or that I do not represent mount Airy football. Not only do I live and breathe mount airy football but I do every sport in mount airy athletics strongly. Do you daddy Doug? And I am the only one that publicly spoke up for the FOOTBALL PLAYERS/COACHES/PARENTS when the big fight between the youth foundation, superintendent and school board happened. Not one had the guts to stand up publicly for the athletics but I will always take up for them 1000%. I don’t need to know any stats to be a true die hard bear fan for life. So before you get in here and run me down do some real research.

As for all the other posters from other schools, I respect all of you and love that each and everyone loves their own school and supports them. I cut up and try to stir the pot but it is a message board and doesn’t mean I disrespect anyone. I would love to meet each and everyone of you personally if I could. I will not be posting anymore banter on here because getting talked about by my own fellow fans is not what I am about. Good luck to each and every school the rest of the playoffs. And lastly Go Bears!!!!!

MA made some player changes and defensive changes and stopped that running. They will have two defensive starters back this week also. Should be a good challenge for both teams. This will be a measuring stick for the SMC.
No, the measuring stick for the SMC will come at Big Oaks in round 5 if Rville can get by Swain this week. Murphy isn’t their usual dominant self this season, despite the 9-3 record.

I would like to recognize the hard work and contributions from MAs backup LBs #44 Caudle and #12 Youman during the absence of our starters. In the 1st half Friday night these young men were getting caught out of position or over pursuing. Some gap adjustments were made at halftime and these young men proved 2 things: #1- they are coachable and #2- they are more than capable of competing at this level. Great job guys!!!

It is my understanding that the reason Mt Airy High School has grown in student over the past two years has to do with "winning" the course and program offerings that is attracting some students to the campus. Also, if I read the newspaper reporting correct when our great Superintendent gave a report on this, none of these identifiable students were participants in any sport.

• Haha
Reactions: nsfball2012
So you are saying there is only 25 kids from grades 9-12 at MCA?
It is my understanding that the majority of MCA high school students are not Mt Airy City School District residents. That is why, in part their are at least two busses traveling down and up US 52 all the way to Rural Hall every day. But I do not personally know the numbers.

I think Mitchell is better on the o line than Murphy. Although Murphy's guards are good. They get after it. Couple things you going to have to remember I don't think Mount Airy had seen anything like that trap from that fullback. He was effective. He just couldn't take the punishment. That seems to be their thing they did it against the Rams. They just hit the dude and hit the dude and hit the dude eventually he goes out. I don't know if that's the way to do it or not but seems to work for them. However I don't think they would have sustained it. They were already wearing down on the second drive. Heard from my nephew that they were changing their signals because signals were being read. Not sure if that's just kid talk or the truth. I will say this there's not a better coach to team than Mitchell. They did a lot with a little. Very impressed.

It is my understanding that the reason Mt Airy High School has grown in student over the past two years has to do with "winning" the course and program offerings that is attracting some students to the campus. Also, if I read the newspaper reporting correct when our great Superintendent gave a report on this, none of these identifiable students were participants in any sport.
@nsfball2012 ...Danny.. why you laughing? Lol

MA is my opinion is going to be tough. I will say that the wing-t can give you issues if you have not seen it live. I look for Murphy to control the game and speed it up allowing the clock to play in their favor. The big question is can Murphy stop the explosive plays from MA which I believe will be the difference of the game. I see this being a entertaining game but MA has a little to much depth for Murphy.

Does Clem start at LB fir Murphy?
No, he's been part of a rotation at corner. I'm hoping they'll move him to Stalcup's spot at strong safety when Stalcup graduates. I feel like strong safety would probably be Clem's best spot long term.

can’t wait for y’all to see this one no one has believed hayesville guys all year when we have talked about how good mt airy is. To put it bluntly and as nice as possible murphy doesn’t match up well at all against them. I’ll be surprised if they score.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT