ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy @ MA

Well this isn't a vintage Murphy team by any stretch, as I've said before they dont have the skill talent, the QB play, the line play or defensive team speed of the Murphy teams of yesteryear. I do hate that the 'Dogs aren't bringing one of those classic teams that has the horses to give the Bears a real run for their money up there next Friday night.

I'd say based on what I’ve seen, Murphy is stronger on offense but weaker on defense than the Mitchell team you played tonight.

Truthfully I would expect this one to go about like the Commerce game earlier in the season for Murphy. Commerce came up to Murphy and had a running clock on the 'Dogs before the end of the night and walked away with a 56-13 win. Commerce is one of the top handful of 1A teams in Georgia this season and so that type of win should be the expectation for a championship caliber North Carolina 1A team, which is what Mount Airy is.

Last edited:
Was hoping (before the bracket came out) to avoid this matchup for obvious reasons. But after the bracket was revealed, this game was pretty much inevitable. All I can say to this very young but talented and improving Murphy team is to play hard, play fast, and leave it all on the field. Don’t worry about the score. You just so happened to play MA’s (most likely) best team ever. So it is what it is. As for certain MA posters (who shall remain nameless), go ahead and live it up and enjoy this current run of talent and the likely result of next week’s game, but just keep it in the back of your mind the tables can and will turn at some point. Good luck to both teams.

Last edited:
Ole man, my favorite Smc team is coming to the granite city and I won’t be there. Love the Bulldog fans , program and tradition in general. Nole fan we understand 1a football and realize the dynamic of runs of talent. No matter the youth / talent level of this year’s bulldogs team might not be that of the past those youngins understand what it means to wear the jersey and tradition are a dangerous bunch. The bears have gotten by without a few starters for the last several weeks but all should be back and they should be 100 percent this Friday night. Ian gallimore and Reid are much bigger players on defense than they are on offense in my opinion. So I don’t expect much success on offense for the dawgs. I do expect the bears to put up a lot of points. . This is another 3rd round trap game with a smc team that is usually very physical. Key for bears is to come out of this game healthy. It’s been the swain county’s (2018) and the Robbinsvilles (2009) that have cost the bears a trip to the ship and a ship through injuries incurred in those games. Fortunately this team is deep enough to endure as Mitchell found out last night. Looking forward to a fun week of banter and game analysis.

Was hoping (before the bracket came out) to avoid this matchup for obvious reasons. But after the bracket was revealed, this game was pretty much inevitable. All I can say to this very young but talented and improving Murphy team is to play hard, play fast, and leave it all on the field. Don’t worry about the score. You just so happened to play MA’s (most likely) best team ever. So it is what it is. As for certain MA posters (who shall remain nameless), go ahead and live it up and enjoy this current run of talent and the likely result of next week’s game, but just keep it in the back of your mind the tables can and will turn at some point. Good luck to both teams.
If #28 was coming back Murphy would be in business next year, he's a special talent. He's put on a real show the last month of the season now that he's fully healthy again.

As for next year, Murphy has to get more out of the QB position next season. If #10 is going to be their guy he must do whatever he physically can: weight room, a Driveline type throwing program, etc. to increase his arm strength between now and next year. The lack of arm strength is a hugely limiting factor in Murphy's offense.

#5 and #3 are good building blocks for Murphy's offense next year. #5 is a talented back, he just needs to continue to work hard in weight room and he's got a bright future. My only constructive critique is #5 needs to work on his pad level, he runs too upright right now. As for #3 it's a shame we haven't gotten to see his speed and athleticism on display much this year on offense, through no fault of his own. Murphy has to find a way to get the ball in #3's hands more next year, even if it means moving him to wingback. They're going to need another back to emerge though regardless, whether that's #25 or #2 making big strides or someone else: a JV kid, a transfer, etc. emerging. The offensive line brings back 4 of 5 and should be improved some with another year.

Defensively Murphy has the pieces to have a really good defensive line next year. Once they get #17 back and healthy, him and #84 are great athletes at DE. The freshman #76 and the sophomore #71 are big, talented kids on the interior, just need more seasoning. Biggest area of concern for Murphy on D next year is same as this year, LB. 'Dogs need more out of that position group, the sophomore #55 is a good foundational piece though. The secondary should be pretty good next year, they will miss #28 at strong safety. I'd move #5 from corner to strong safety next season, he's more fast than quick and he's a good tackler, feel he could really excel at safety. #3 at FS and #2 at CB are good players.

Last edited:
If #28 was coming back Murphy would be in business next year, he's a special talent. He's put on a real show the last month of the season now that he's fully healthy again.

As for next year, Murphy has to get more out of the QB position next season. If #10 is going to be their guy he must do whatever he physically can: weight room, a Driveline type throwing program, etc. to increase his arm strength between now and next year. The lack of arm strength is a hugely limiting factor in Murphy's offense.

#5 and #3 are good building blocks for Murphy's offense next year. #5 is a talented back, he just needs to continue to work hard in weight room and he's got a bright future. My only constructive critique is #5 needs to work on his pad level, he runs too upright right now. As for #3 it's a shame we haven't gotten to see his speed and athleticism on display much this year on offense, through no fault of his own. Murphy has to find a way to get the ball in #3's hands more next year, even if it means moving him to wingback. They're going to need another back to emerge though regardless, whether that's #25 or #2 making big strides or someone else: a JV kid, a transfer, etc. emerging. The offensive line brings back 4 of 5 and should be improved some with another year.

Defensively Murphy has the pieces to have a really good defensive line next year. Once they get #17 back and healthy, him and #84 are great athletes at DE. The freshman #76 and the sophomore #71 are big, talented kids on the interior, just need more seasoning. Biggest area of concern for Murphy on D next year is same as this year, LB. 'Dogs need more out of that position group, the sophomore #55 is a good foundational piece though. The secondary should be pretty good next year, they will miss #28 at strong safety. I'd move #5 from corner to strong safety next season, he's more fast than quick and he's a good tackler, feel he could really excel at safety. #3 at FS and #2 at CB are good players.
Good breakdown and looks spot on. Having said that I think Murphy is capable of the upset Friday if the defense excels. Good luck Bulldogs

Reactions: Jmappfan5
Good breakdown and looks spot on. Having said that I think Murphy is capable of the upset Friday if the defense excels. Good luck Bulldogs
Murphy's really beat up on D, three of their best starters on that side of the ball: #2, #17 and #31 are out for the year.

#31 was also Murphy's kicker and punter and its really crippled Murphy's kickoff and extra point ability. Bishop started with the ball at around their 40 all night. Giving Mount Airy that kind of field position every drive is going to be very very problematic.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Murphy's really beat up on D, three of their best starters on that side of the ball: #2, #17 and #31 are out for the year.

#31 was also Murphy's kicker and punter and its really crippled Murphy's kickoff and extra point ability. Bishop started with the ball at around their 40 all night. Giving Mount Airy that kind of field position every drive is going to be very very problematic.
Those 3 are all very good players I knew 17 and 31 were out but I didn’t know 2 was. I could tell the kicking game suffered last night. Maybe the offense can use ball control to keep Mt Airy offense off the field. #28 is a game changer and I hope he has his biggest game ever

Ole man, my favorite Smc team is coming to the granite city and I won’t be there. Love the Bulldog fans , program and tradition in general. Nole fan we understand 1a football and realize the dynamic of runs of talent. No matter the youth / talent level of this year’s bulldogs team might not be that of the past those youngins understand what it means to wear the jersey and tradition are a dangerous bunch. The bears have gotten by without a few starters for the last several weeks but all should be back and they should be 100 percent this Friday night. Ian gallimore and Reid are much bigger players on defense than they are on offense in my opinion. So I don’t expect much success on offense for the dawgs. I do expect the bears to put up a lot of points. . This is another 3rd round trap game with a smc team that is usually very physical. Key for bears is to come out of this game healthy. It’s been the swain county’s (2018) and the Robbinsvilles (2009) that have cost the bears a trip to the ship and a ship through injuries incurred in those games. Fortunately this team is deep enough to endure as Mitchell found out last night. Looking forward to a fun week of banter and game analysis.
No banter from me this year gdawg. Only team in the SMC that stands a chance is Robbinsville., and that’s just because the game would be at Big Oaks and Robbinsville has the right blend of size, speed, power, tradition, good coaching, and experience to make it a game.

I'd say based on what I’ve seen, Murphy is stronger on offense but weaker on defense than the Mitchell team you played tonight.
Then you're in trouble because Mitchell D wasn't that great this year what help them the most was like what you saw in the first half at MA long time consuming drives but scoring lol and not giving the other teams offense many possessions.
I saw the Robbinsville @ Murphy it was a good close game but beaten pretty bad by Swain.
Just looking at their schedule just looks like which Murphy shows up.

Reactions: Mhsneer

I think that was a great and honest assessment. I am excited to see Stalcup coming to MA this week as counterintuitive as that may sound. I have only seen his play through streaming. I know the kid is quick, has great balance and hands. I think he will pose a challenge MA hasn't seen yet this year. I don't know if he will have holes or gaps to hit though. I look forward to seeing it either way.

#3 on Murphy is great player too as you mentioned. Couldn't agree more that the QB arm strength is limiting how effective the passing game could be with #3 on the field. You guys get that worked out by next year, Murphy will be in a very strong position offensively.

I’ve got my eyes set on 2025. The current group of sophomores will be seniors and you will have a backfield featuring JR running back Clem and SO running back Davis (he can play WB just as effectively and has a dangerous blend of speed, power, and shiftiness in space, and he has great hands) SR Payne (#3) at WR, SO Brown at FB, and SR Grant at QB. The Hogsed kid that moved up from JV is gonna be a great WR as well. He will be a JR in 2025.

The D should be big, fast, and talented on all levels and anchored by Pinkerton in the middle. Special teams just needs a kicker.

Reactions: mbdfan
I don't know if he will have holes or gaps to hit though.
That's my concern as well, I'm afraid it could be another Fannin County or Swain County situation where the opposition (Mount Airy) front 7 is just too stout to give #28 much of an opportunity to show what he's really capable of.

I’ve got my eyes set on 2025. The current group of sophomores will be seniors and you will have a backfield featuring JR running back Clem and SO running back Davis (he can play WB just as effectively and has a dangerous blend of speed, power, and shiftiness in space, and he has great hands) SR Payne (#3) at WR, SO Brown at FB, and SR Grant at QB. The Hogsed kid that moved up from JV is gonna be a great WR as well. He will be a JR in 2025.

The D should be big, fast, and talented on all levels and anchored by Pinkerton in the middle. Special teams just needs a kicker.
Vining would've been a really good fullback for that 2025 team and a good piece at LB on D too, but unfortunately he's at Hayesville now. I feel had he gotten moved to starting fullback after losing the QB battle this past off-season, he'd still be here.

The 8th grader Bain on JV has a strong arm, stereotypical QB build and is a solid athlete, he could really push Grant for the QB job in 2025 if Grant hasn't made more strides by then.

Last edited:
Reactions: therealsquid
I expect Murphy’s to go down and Hayesville and Union (GA)’s to go up in the years to come…
And as you know those are partially interconnected lol. Murphy will lose kids and families to both Hayesville and Union, already are. It's going to take another generation of older Cherokee County voters dying out and younger ones replacing them to see any change in that.

The consolidation will still happen eventually but it's probably going to be like another 15 years now, damage already done. Plus who knows what the high school athletics landscape will even look like in 15 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Then you're in trouble because Mitchell D wasn't that great this year what help them the most was like what you saw in the first half at MA long time consuming drives but scoring lol and not giving the other teams offense many possessions.
I saw the Robbinsville @ Murphy it was a good close game but beaten pretty bad by Swain.
Just looking at their schedule just looks like which Murphy shows up.
Hold up Swain ran away at the very end that game was very close whole ball game.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
I hope I'm wrong but I don't see Murphy moving the ball well on MA. Stalcup is a big play back and I think MA has enough speed to stop those long runs. I don't see Murphy being able to sustain long drives to keep MA's offense off the field

Reactions: buzzcoach
I hope I'm wrong but I don't see Murphy moving the ball well on MA. Stalcup is a big play back and I think MA has enough speed to stop those long runs. I don't see Murphy being able to sustain long drives to keep MA's offense off the field
I pretty much agree with this, the way Murphy is wired offensively plays into Mount Airy's strengths. Mount Airy is a bad matchup for anybody, but especially Murphy.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Hold up Swain ran away at the very end that game was very close whole ball game.
👍Okay I just looked at the score should have looked at the box score by qtr.
Let's put it this way they held Rville scoreless in the 4th and gave up 23 to Swain in the 4th. So one thing about MA they got a deep bench if it comes down to the 4th quarter will Murphy get worn down? Plus if it's a blowout what does that say for a possible game against Swian or Robbinsville? Though some teams match up better than others.

Last edited:
The D should be big, fast, and talented on all levels
Genuine question, who are the options at LB in '25 outside of Orton? I've been unimpressed with the past two JV teams LB groups.

Can Davis from JV play LB? Clem could definitely play outside linebacker and be a stud there in my opinion, but it seems like the varsity coaching staff see him as purely a DB.

👍Okay I just looked at the score should have looked at the box score by qtr.
Let's put it this way they held Rville scoreless in the 4th and gave up 23 to Swain in the 4th. So one thing about MA they got a deep bench if it comes down to the 4th quarter will Murphy get worn down? Plus if it's a blowout what does that say for a possible game against Swian or Robbinsville? Though some teams match up better than others.
Thats the thing with MA they keep coming at you and wear you down.

Reactions: Bearmod1
Genuine question, who are the options at LB in '25 outside of Orton? I've been unimpressed with the past two JV teams LB groups.

Can Davis from JV play LB? Clem could definitely play outside linebacker and be a stud there in my opinion, but it seems like the varsity coaching staff see him as purely a DB.
I think Catuto and Curtis will be really good LBs in 2025. Curtis is small but he hits like a Mack truck. Reminds me of the way Kenton Braswell used to hit people. The JVs really missed him the last couple of games (he was out with an injury). Catuto will come up and hit too and had a good year at LB. Davis played OLB but IMO he would be much better at corner or FS.

Reactions: mbdfan
Bearfsn
2a will be what it is now minus some of the bigger teams and some of the smallest team. Not going be any new faces.

Cdoc
If they do 64 each class then Murphy will be 2a. Call that hating if you want to boy.

Murphy 485
Thats the number used to classify Murphy for this year.

They won't go 8 surely
I think they will raise the 64 limit as needed to accommodate new schools but still 7.
The 64 should work for a few years though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT