ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell

Week 3. May have to ride up the mountain and watch that one. MA will have Surry Buzzards so might as well check our the mountain teams.

I dont see how mount airy fans watch there games in regular season... I know I haven't had this experience at all being an alleghany Trojan fan... But isnt it boring watching blowouts every week... I hate going to games that I know will be a blow out one way or another... Like whats the point of going if you know your team is going to have a running clock on the other school... Same goes for fans of teams that know they will have a running clock put on them... For instance u wont ever see me at a Mt airy alleghany game.... Unless u have a child playing or cheering or something than I totally understand going to all the blowouts and beat downs.

KW you have a point and sometimes it is not a lot of fun. However, one thing I do watch for is this: how are we executing?
Are we getting better?
Are we tending to lose our focus?
Also, watch the first half and then watch the second half since that usually is the 2nd unit and jv players.

I know it is common to talk about "tested" teams going into the playoffs. But the other side of that is fewer injured or hurt players as well as experienced depth.

One thing that I know for sure: There is very little that Mt Airy Administration can do about the teams we play. It is not like we can pick up the whole town and move it to Iredell or Catawba or Davidson County.
And those that say, change your non-conference schedule. Yea, sure. Tell North Surry or Surry Central or East Surry to give up those gates that Mt Airy brings to them. Sure, try that and see how far you get.

Mitchell should have a pretty good team this year. Returning several key players and bring in several off an undefeated JV team. Title contenders naw don’t see that but a quality 1a team. They did lose some key lineman that will be hard to replace. Just this ol boy’s opinion.

Go Mountaineers

Mitchell should have a pretty good team this year. Returning several key players and bring in several off an undefeated JV team. Title contenders naw don’t see that but a quality 1a team. They did lose some key lineman that will be hard to replace. Just this ol boy’s opinion.

Go Mountaineers
Just beat the piss out of Draughn. Keep hammering those gashs into submission.

And those that say, change your non-conference schedule. Yea, sure. Tell North Surry or Surry Central or East Surry to give up those gates that Mt Airy brings to them. Sure, try that and see how far you get.
Mr. Whitley,

I have been to Mt. Airy for games against all 3 of those schools, seems the visitors bleachers are always full against those teams. I guess those good gates for MA are not good enough to give up either. I have been there too when neither side was full also.

Reactions: gdawg74
Mr. Whitley,

I have been to Mt. Airy for games against all 3 of those schools, seems the visitors bleachers are always full against those teams. I guess those good gates for MA are not good enough to give up either. I have been there too when neither side was full also.
I do not disagree with your comment and observations. Sometimes I have just been amazed that the stands are not full for every game. But the last couple of years Mt Airy has taken more fans to Surry Central than they had and equal to or more at East and North.

Still your point is well taken.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
lol 6’8 235. WR
With that speed? They moved him to receiver? Door must have needed to fill some space. Guy got shut down by 1 a teams twice. Maybe fee eats some potato chips he will gain some weight. Too bad the other kid doula wasn't looked at as much. Much better football player. But I'm sure they'll be some dad giving some haircuts down in Raleigh this year. POS

Glad to see you got smart suede head and sent that other boy to play for a real coach Plus he ain't getting off the line of scrimmings no matter how much she does he ain't going to get strong enough

You delusional fools from valdese keep on thinking. Can't wait for you to open that trap to your new coach at freedom. You won't even be sitting in the stadium

I think Heritage this year and Mitchell in a year or so, might be semi finals good, as for this year I still expect Mitchell to compete for the conference with Heritage and Draughn but probably won't be a top 4 team in 1a. I really think Heritage could challenge for the western title this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: RealStihl
Mitchell wins fewest games in a decade

The Mountaineers have been a 1A powerhouse in recent years, reaching state championships in 2015 (at the 1AA subdivision level) and in 2021. This season, Mitchell will have to replace its two leading rushers, three leading receivers and seven leading tacklers. Quarterback Caleb Cook is back, but Mitchell has too many questions to reach seven wins.

This is what the Asheville Citizen Times thinks in their WHC preview for the upcoming season. We shall see. As sickening as it is I think Heritage is the heavy favorite in the conference.

Mitchell wins fewest games in a decade

The Mountaineers have been a 1A powerhouse in recent years, reaching state championships in 2015 (at the 1AA subdivision level) and in 2021. This season, Mitchell will have to replace its two leading rushers, three leading receivers and seven leading tacklers. Quarterback Caleb Cook is back, but Mitchell has too many questions to reach seven wins.

This is what the Asheville Citizen Times thinks in their WHC preview for the upcoming season. We shall see. As sickening as it is I think Heritage is the heavy favorite in the conference.
POWERHOUSE??????

• Haha
Reactions: BulldogJacket85
I dont see how mount airy fans watch there games in regular season... I know I haven't had this experience at all being an alleghany Trojan fan... But isnt it boring watching blowouts every week... I hate going to games that I know will be a blow out one way or another... Like whats the point of going if you know your team is going to have a running clock on the other school... Same goes for fans of teams that know they will have a running clock put on them... For instance u wont ever see me at a Mt airy alleghany game.... Unless u have a child playing or cheering or something than I totally understand going to all the blowouts and beat downs
After watching the lady braves blow everybody out this year I can say I enjoyed every single blow out

That 1st game against Charlotte Latin got my attention. Last year Mitchell won 16-7. Perhaps another good game between the 2.

Reactions: RealStihl
From what I'm hearing Mitchell issues won't be skilled positions but the line is young plus not very big like they've had in the pass. But you never know they might surprise us but it's hard to reload after a large senior class in small county we've been spoiled by good teams for serval years straight.
One thing about the athletes at Mitchell might get spoiled they will have very nice facility a $14.5 million indoor building with a 30 yard practice field, basketball court, batting cages and golf simulator for their two years straight 1A state championship team.
I assume it'll probably be finished for next year haven't heard the completion schedule.

Mitchell will be solid, they have a standard and a good program. I would be surprised if they beat Heritage though.
Did anyone watch the first edition of Charlotte Observer's Talking Preps last week? Football Expert Chris Hughes predicted Mountain Heritage to be in the State Championship vs Tarboro! Sooooo, if Chris predicts it, you know that it will happen.

Did anyone watch the first edition of Charlotte Observer's Talking Preps last week? Football Expert Chris Hughes predicted Mountain Heritage to be in the State Championship vs Tarboro! Sooooo, if Chris predicts it, you know that it will happen.
Did it air on YouTube? I couldn't find it when i looked it up

It's not totally out of left field to think that but Heritage will have to improve defensively.

I wish I knew of someone who went to the heritage swain scrimmage last night I'd like to know the score lol

Last edited:
It is strange how Mr. Hughe's picks a few weeks ago have changed with no games played.
As he picked a few weeks ago, look where he had Mountain Heritage and the other Western teams. I count 7 from the West above his #9. Mountain Heritage. I hope this Talking Preps backfires on him and one of the 7 beats Mountain Heritage early.

Mr. Hughe's picks Jul 31, 2024, again with no games played he picks Mountain Heritage over 7 other Western teams. Where is the logic, being on Charlotte Observer's Talking Preps ?

1. Tarboro
2. Mt. Airy
3. Eastern Randolph
4. Robbinsville
5. Murphy
6. Swain
7. Starmount
8. North Rowan
9. Mountain Heritage
10. West Columbus
11. East Bladen
12. Mitchell
13. Lakewood
14. Draughn
15. Hayesville
16. Thomasville
17. Wilson Prep
18. Corvian
19. Mountain Island
20. Northampton

Last edited:
Last edited:
Will say this Mister Hughes has done a tremendous amount of good and tons of work to promote HS football in NC. But unfortunately I think he has the Mountaineers too high in his poll. I hope they prove me wrong but have lots of concerns. And last night I understood was a total wash out so they didn’t get the benefit of the scrimmage. And UGH, he could be right on Heritage. (Even though MA is still top dogs until proven otherwise)

They will be tested early and often. Chase, Robbinsville, Erwin (much improved) and Hendersonville. So we should know more.

Go Mountaineers

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT